Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Collegiate Merchandise Royalties Rankings  (Read 10349 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Collegiate Merchandise Royalties Rankings
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
I was trying to find the bias, I noticed some missing universities also and inclusion of some that clearly aren't out earning some of the schools on your list above or even MU, for instance.

Louisianna Lafayette coming in at 70
and Texas State @ san marcos coming in at 68.

Was thinking that some may just not report completely, but your catch on it being only CLC clients is a good one.
First of all I agree it is hard to fund stuff for sale anywhere besides MU or Bradley Center.

Other factors:
Size of university (# of Students and alumni)
Color of jersey's. In my opinion gold looks good on brunettes, but red looks good on blondes and brunettes.  A girl will not buy a color that does not look good on her. Marquette emphasising blue instead of gold would have been better in my opinion.

I am not sure how this fits in as it might or might not be reflected in sales, but MU gives away free t-shirts to anyone who attended MU Madness. Free means you do not have to buy it. Of course other schools probably do the same thing.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
A group of us recently went to the Spirit Shop during Reunion weekend and were appalled at the selection. First off, everybody said they wouldn't wear an Eagle and ,secondly, nothing appealed to anybody. Spent our money at Sobleman's on Bloody Marys

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
Well, by the numbers that demographic is currently avoiding Marquette's Golden Eagle merchandise like the plague. Maybe Warrior gear that incorporates some of the awesome uniform design that was part of that era falls equally flat, but I doubt it.

But the interlocking MU logo is very popular as are the new uniforms and color schemes. Marquette doesnt use the GE logo much. I'd be willing to bet sales of Marquette merchandise are the highest they've ever been.
We Are Marquette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
First of all I agree it is hard to fund stuff for sale anywhere besides MU or Bradley Center.

Other factors:
Size of university (# of Students and alumni)
Color of jersey's. In my opinion gold looks good on brunettes, but red looks good on blondes and brunettes.  A girl will not buy a color that does not look good on her. Marquette emphasising blue instead of gold would have been better in my opinion.

I am not sure how this fits in as it might or might not be reflected in sales, but MU gives away free t-shirts to anyone who attended MU Madness. Free means you do not have to buy it. Of course other schools probably do the same thing.

No idea about the color thing...but the size of university argument doesn't seem to hurt Gonzaga much....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
No idea about the color thing...but the size of university argument doesn't seem to hurt Gonzaga much....

Gonzaga is an outlier.  When they became the back-to-back-to-back Cinderella in the 1999-2001, they became media darlings and picked up a national following.  They've made the most of it.  I can still find Gonzaga stuff in stores in Ohio, but generally can't find Marquette stuff.

I think the two biggest factors for merchandise sales are 1) state university with massive student body and alumni following; and 2) football.  There are exceptions to this, of course, but these are the two driving forces.  And, it would probably be fair to say that they are really two sides of the same coin.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »
The Spirit Shop is hit or miss. I generally am looking for stuff for kids, but last time I went in there the kids selection was beyond bad. They had better stuff in the U Store back in the day. I just don't understand why they have about 100 adult sized jerseys out...not to mention those blue and yellow striped big overalls...but nothing but "I'm a Little Eagle" kids shirts.

If they don't get some goddamned Davante Gardner stuff in kid sizes soon I'm going in there with a pitchfork.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:56:37 PM by oldwarrior81 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Can't believe it took this long for someone to say, but yeah.  It's a nice way of limiting revenue potential when you can't put your nickname or mascot on any merchandise because it won't sell.

MU is making that decision on their own. Nothing to stop them from selling Warrior gear (or Hilltopper gear) if they wished...I believe they still own the trademarks and such (someone correct me if I am wrong).  They won't do it because it will be an implied or tacit endorsement of the name.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
I think you'd be surprised how few people under 35 care about the Warriors nickname. And that the demographic that buys sports clothing.

There are a lot of things that folks under 35 do today that colors me incredibly unimpressed.

As for the money, its not just jerseys but people buy sweatshirts, hats, etc that appeal to all age demographics, including those that have a few more dollars to spend than those under 35.  A lot more dollars, in fact. 

The MU bookstore for decades has taken this tact to mark up the costs of their gear more than it is worth and to hang on to the vast selection of merchandise at one location where they reap the monetary benefits.  This was the case when I was in the athletic department and the policy was loud and clear.  I don't think much has changed.  They do have a few items (or did) that were part of the CLC, but typically cheap, inexpensive stuff.

From a branding standpoint, you want to get your stuff out there to the masses with a good selection of merch.  In doing so, however, you will sacrifice profit margins and traffic in your store, which is what they want to avoid.  That's MU's decision...pros and cons to both approaches.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Really? Georgetown, gonzaga...even Louisville?

No.

How would you explain Duke being 34th then?  Duke has a massive following in basketball but is only ranked 34th?  One word:  football.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:37:08 AM by MarquetteDano »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
A group of us recently went to the Spirit Shop during Reunion weekend and were appalled at the selection. First off, everybody said they wouldn't wear an Eagle and ,secondly, nothing appealed to anybody. Spent our money at Sobleman's on Bloody Marys

Also, certain times of the year they just don't have everything in stock - or the sizes. They usually stock up in October and then let it dwindling by April, May, June. When I come to MKE once a year or so, it's really annoying not being able to buy a jersey or the basketball tshirts I thought would be there.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks the University would do well to have limited time only vintage selections?  Whether that be the old warrior shirts or coming out with old jersies once a year? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
A group of us recently went to the Spirit Shop during Reunion weekend and were appalled at the selection. First off, everybody said they wouldn't wear an Eagle and, secondly, nothing appealed to anybody. Spent our money at Sobleman's on Bloody Marys

I went during Reunion weekend as well.  I thought the selection was fine, but they had nothing, absolutely nothing, in my size, not even a baseball cap.  I'm a big guy but not ridculously so, (6-5 260), but they do not carry any tall sizes nor did they have larger hat sizes (7 7/8 or 8).  I've seen caps in the past and at least I have one of those.  My wife found plenty she liked and I bought a few things for my son.  As an aside, my son goes to Lehigh in PA and if I were so inclined (I am not - turd brown and white have to be the worst college colors in the country) they at least had a few things that would have fit me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
I'm a big guy but not ridculously so, (6-5 260), but they do not carry any tall sizes nor did they have larger hat sizes (7 7/8 or 8).
Dude, you're a woolly mammoth.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Dude, you're a woolly mammoth.

Just a mammoth, not too woolly any more.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.