collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443789 times)

brandx

Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2125 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
If Bears fans are happy, that's great.

But I'm happy too. This is what Packers fans were hoping for.

I honestly wonder if the Bears fans are so used to cycling through QBs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chicago_Bears_starting_quarterbacks) that they are willing to settle with Cutler. I guess it makes sense. He's the best since McMahon, I just think you could do so much better.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: January 02, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »
The football stupid is out in full focre today, good lord.

Did people expect Cutler to sign for a dollar and fifty cents? Jesus.

If Cutler's deal averages $18 mil a year, it is FAIR. The arguments being made here are laughable.

Rodgers  $22 per year
Ryan      $21 per year
Flacco    $20 per year
Peyton   $19.2 per year
Romo      $18 per year
Stafford  $17.7 per year

Oh by the way, this just in, every year the market GOES UP. How do people not understand this?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
I'm going to troll for once and play the meatball card here...

If Packer fans are so happy about Cutler signing, how about buying some playoff tickets for your home playoff game so it doesn't get blacked out?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2129 on: January 02, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

If Cutler's deal averages $18 mil a year, it is FAIR. The arguments being made here are laughable.

Rodgers  $22 per year
Ryan      $21 per year
Flacco    $20 per year
Peyton   $19.2 per year
Romo      $18 per year
Stafford  $17.7 per year

Oh by the way, this just in, every year the market GOES UP. How do people not understand this?

You're missing the point. Its not about the money. Its about signing a mediocre QB with questionable leadership skills to 7 years.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
Career QB rating.

Cutler 89.2         Flynn 88.3

And Cutler has had at least one "great" receiver almost every year

Who were his "great" receivers his first 3 years in Chicago?  Roy Williams?  Devin Hester?  Johnny Knox?

And seriously with Flynn?  This season was the first time he ever started more than 2 games in a year in his entire career.  The sample set isn't exactly conclusive.

I honestly wonder if the Bears fans are so used to cycling through QBs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chicago_Bears_starting_quarterbacks) that they are willing to settle with Cutler. I guess it makes sense. He's the best since McMahon, I just think you could do so much better.

I'll play along.  Who exactly could they get that is "so much better"?  Sanchez?  Matt Schaub?  They're not drafting a QB in the first round with the defensive holes they have.

Comparisons to Rodgers is stupid.  He's an MVP and a first ballot HOF player.  No Bears fan would ever compare the two, so making that comparison is just taking the conversation in a foolish direction.  But I'm glad you brought up the super tangible "leadership skills" card.  That one is always fun

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
Who were his "great" receivers his first 3 years in Chicago?  Roy Williams?  Devin Hester?  Johnny Knox?

And seriously with Flynn?  This season was the first time he ever started more than 2 games in a year in his entire career.  The sample set isn't exactly conclusive.

I'll play along.  Who exactly could they get that is "so much better"?  Sanchez?  Matt Schaub?  They're not drafting a QB in the first round with the defensive holes they have.

Comparisons to Rodgers is stupid.  He's an MVP and a first ballot HOF player.  No Bears fan would ever compare the two, so making that comparison is just taking the conversation in a foolish direction.  But I'm glad you brought up the super tangible "leadership skills" card.  That one is always fun

I would have said the draft. Its served the Packers well over the past 5 years.

I don't think the Bears need an Aaron Rodgers. I wasn't making that comparison. If they had a Tony Romo or an Alex Smith, someone down a tier from the Rodgers and Peyton Mannings, but up a level from the Cutlers, I think they would be contenders. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:10:56 PM by Bleuteaux »

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
You're missing the point. Its not about the money. Its about signing a mediocre QB with questionable leadership skills to 7 years.

It's all about the money.  The 7 years means nothing.  It only matters how the contract is structured.  NFL players are dumped before their contracts expire all the time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

If Packer fans are so happy about Cutler signing, how about buying some playoff tickets for your home playoff game so it doesn't get blacked out?

Well, if it does get blacked out at least we can all watch the Bears game. Oh wait...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2134 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »

Rodgers  $22 per year
Ryan      $21 per year
Flacco    $20 per year
Peyton   $19.2 per year
Romo      $18 per year
Stafford  $17.7 per year

I see Cutler at the level of Romo and Stafford, actually similar in many ways.   18 million is not too much to pay for him if that’s the direction they want to go.  They still have many holes to fill on the defensive side.  Signing Cutler really doesn’t make them a better team, but does give them some stability at the position.

How does management set up the contracts so there are 25 free agents in one year?  Sure you have a lot of cap space, but you have a lot of players to either replace or re-sign.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: January 02, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

The game won't get blacked out. I'm not worried about it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: January 02, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Well, if it does get blacked out at least we can all watch the Bears game. Oh wait...

That was a pretty weak comeback. The Packers not selling out a home playoff game...come on, please justify that for me, I'm begging.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2137 on: January 02, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

Ridiculous statement, and shows the Bear homer you are. Not hard to figure out the passive agressive posts.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
Ridiculous statement, and shows the Bear homer you are. Not hard to figure out the passive agressive posts.

You're right, same guy who is calling for Packers/Eagles NFC title game. You nailed me on this one.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: January 02, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »
That was a pretty weak comeback. The Packers not selling out a home playoff game...come on, please justify that for me, I'm begging.

Won't happen, so it doesn't need justification.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »

Myself and others have posted valid reasons behind it. The packers consecutive sellouts of over 270 games and season ticket waiting list of 100,000 speaks for itself. Certainly better than the bears and there are a whole lot more people in chicago than are in Green Bay, Milwaukee and sourrounding areas.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »

I think Dish is way more fair and balanced than most of the Packer fans on this board.  

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
You're right, same guy who is calling for Packers/Eagles NFC title game. You nailed me on this one.

Maybe you need to go back and read. I never predicted any title game. I did say the Saints could beat the eagles sending them to Seattle and Green Bay to Carolina if they beat SF.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: January 02, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
I think the Bears did what was best for them by signing Cutler.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »
I think the Bears did what was best for them by signing Cutler.

Cutler for $18M per year was a fair deal.  People I think have forgotten was the average NFL quarterback is like.  They are bad.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »

I think Dish is way more fair and balanced than most of the Packer fans on this board.  

I agree for the most part, but he is quick to hammer on the packers and defend the bears in a passive agressive way, maybe because he is a bear fan he doesn't realize he is doing it. I have no problem with it, but then don't come across like an expert.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: January 02, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Let me say this, it's a big issue for the NFL and Packers if the most loyal fan base in the NFL can not sell out a playoff game. I'm not trolling, not being a jerk when I say this. To a degree I understand the short term selling tickets issue, the weather, the late Sunday start time, I get that. But, this is also the most die hard of die hard fan bases. Coming off one of the most exciting clinching games I can recall, one would think there'd be momentum there to get tickets sold.

The NFL's goal is to basically double their current revenue by 2020. The Packers not selling out a playoff game raises a lot of red flags. The NFL wants to go hard into market based ticketing. In the next few years, your NFL ticket will not list a price point on it. The advancement of the TV product is both a curse and blessing. The in game experience, quite frankly, is not great, and the league knows this. Moving back into Los Angeles, or Europe, means butts need to be in seats in those markets for them to be successful. At the league meetings this spring, there will be a vote to expand the playoffs and create another Thursday night package. If the Pack can't sell out, there's going to be a lot of people in New York having to answer for a lot of these issues.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2147 on: January 02, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
I agree for the most part, but he is quick to hammer on the packers and defend the bears in a passive agressive way, maybe because he is a bear fan he doesn't realize he is doing it. I have no problem with it, but then don't come across like an expert.

I respect you Hairy, I trolled once for trolling's sake. I've said a few times on here I have the utmost respect for the Packers, their loyal fanbase, and their organization. It's not a coincidence the Pack is very good year in and year out, they are extremely well run and have the best player in the game. To not give them kudos for their success would be silly.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: January 02, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
It might be market value since I think he is very similar value to Stafford and Romo. I think Matty Ice signed his when people thought he had more potential than what was really there. Flacco signed his after the Super Bowl.

Honestly, I would rather try hitting on a QB in the draft and signing a top flight defender with the difference. Hell, McCown looked great. Imagine him with some guys on defense and they could've easily ran away with the division. I just think second tier QBs are overpriced due to the cost of the top tier. Top tier guys are worth it, those second tier guys aren't worth it.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: January 02, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
 Who exactly could they get that is "so much better"?  Sanchez?  Matt Schaub?  They're not drafting a QB in the first round with the defensive holes they have.

I think this is the answer.  If Cutler works out great.  If not, and they cut bait after 3 or so years, they've had a chance to re-stock other talent.