2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443760 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2100 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Not sure yet. These deals were really kept close to the vest.

Ha, they'll probably release the figures tomorrow afternoon.   ;)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2101 on: January 02, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Being reported first 3 years average $18 mil per season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: January 02, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Cutler signs for 7 years.

YEEESSSSSSSS!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2103 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

That's a big number. Any idea if this deal makes it more likely that Peanut will be gone and/or Peppers will be released?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: January 02, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »

Wow that's a pretty penny...  Does Cutler really warrant that much money?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2105 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
That's a big number. Any idea if this deal makes it more likely that Peanut will be gone and/or Peppers will be released?

It's right on market value, slight hometown discount. Most likely $50 mil guaranteed.

We'll see what the cap layout looks like, but so far seems fair across the board.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #2106 on: January 02, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
YEEESSSSSSSS!
+1,000   Great news for NFC North Defenses.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2107 on: January 02, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
Just keeps getting worse for Bears fans

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2108 on: January 02, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
I think a team can win with Jay.

The question is just how much $$ did the Bears have to spend to keep him?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2109 on: January 02, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
I think a team can win with Jay.

Maybe. But not this team.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2110 on: January 02, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

You realize they had the second highest scoring offense iin the NFL, right?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2111 on: January 02, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »

With even a mediocre D, the Bears would have won at least 11 games this season.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2112 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
I think it was the move the Bears had to make.  Who else are you going to get to be your QB for the next 3 years?

From what's being reported - the contract is top heavy, so he'll be earning his money in the first 3 seasons of the deal - an average of $18 million for those first 3 years as was stated above.

After the first 3 years, his salary will jump down and he will be able to be cut if the Bears choose to do so without a huge hit to their cap.  Or they can keep him for what should be a good value.  

I think they will still draft a QB this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: January 02, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
With even a mediocre D, the Bears would have won at least 11 games this season.

But, they didn't.  And Jay is going into his 9th NFL season with 1 Playoff appearance.  So I guess with this deal maybe they're hoping they can get back into the Playoffs once before it's up?

My question is this: What is the goal for the Chicago Bears?  Is it to put a product on the field that can consistently make it into the Playoffs and thus have a chance to make a run at a Super Bowl?  If so, don't you have to ask yourself, "Who do I have to go through to make the Playoffs every year?"  In the NFC North, the answer is fairly consistently the Green Bay Packers.  If I'm the Bears, am I OK knowing that Jay Cutler is 1-10 all time against the Packers?  I know it's not that simple and there's a million other things you have to consider, but 1-10!?  If you're 3-8 maybe you can say let's add a few pieces here and there and maybe we can string a few wins together against them, but 1 and freaking 10.  That is brutal when it is your divisional rival.  To lock that up for as much money as they are going to pay him...not so sure about that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:24:52 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2114 on: January 02, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
But, they didn't.  And Jay is going into his 9th NFL season with 1 Playoff appearance.  So I guess with this deal maybe they're hoping they can get back into the Playoffs once before it's up?

My question is this: What is the goal for the Chicago Bears?  Is it to put a product on the field that can consistently make it into the Playoffs and thus have a chance to make a run at a Super Bowl?  If so, don't you have to ask yourself, "Who do I have to go through to make the Playoffs every year?"  In the NFC North, the answer is fairly consistently the Green Bay Packers.  If I'm the Bears, am I OK knowing that Jay Cutler is 1-10 all time against the Packers?  I know it's not that simple and there's a million other things you have to consider, but 1-10!?  If you're 3-8 maybe you can say let's add a few pieces here and there and maybe we can string a few wins together against them, but 1 and freaking 10.  That is brutal when it is your divisional rival.  To lock that up for as much money as they are going to pay him...not so sure about that.

Do you keep making this argument if the Bears were playing on Sunday?  Cause Cutler did everything to get them there minus play safety instead of Conte.  He had a QBR of 90 and a QB Rating of 103, would have been 120 I believe save for the pick on the last play.  In his first season with a competent OL and offensive weapons he had his best overall passer rating.  You have to be blind or biased to not see the upward progression in his performance the last 3 years.

Rex Grossman was 4-2 against the Packers and made 2 playoff appearances in 3 years as a starter for the Bears, they should have kept him, cause clearly its all about the QB!

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2115 on: January 02, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Do you keep making this argument if the Bears were playing on Sunday?  Cause Cutler did everything to get them there minus play safety instead of Conte.  He had a QBR of 90 and a QB Rating of 103, would have been 120 I believe save for the pick on the last play.  In his first season with a competent OL and offensive weapons he had his best overall passer rating.  You have to be blind or biased to not see the upward progression in his performance the last 3 years.

Rex Grossman was 4-2 against the Packers and made 2 playoff appearances in 3 years as a starter for the Bears, they should have kept him, cause clearly its all about the QB!

Exactly.  I'm glad Emery didn't make the decision on his future starting QB based on his career record against one team.

And there aren't very many QBs in the league that have a stellar record against Aaron Rodgers.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2116 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
You have two of the best WRs in the league, an electrifying RB that has 2 maybe 3 good years left, and you just rebuilt your entire offensive line.

To throw your QB away after all that would be stupid.

brandx

« Reply #2117 on: January 02, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »

You realize he's been in the playoffs once in 8 years?

And $18 mil WITH a hometown discount? So he is worth Rodgers type money in reality?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: January 02, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
Do you keep making this argument if the Bears were playing on Sunday?  Cause Cutler did everything to get them there minus play safety instead of Conte.  He had a QBR of 90 and a QB Rating of 103, would have been 120 I believe save for the pick on the last play.  In his first season with a competent OL and offensive weapons he had his best overall passer rating.  You have to be blind or biased to not see the upward progression in his performance the last 3 years.

It's never Jay's fault. Too many head coaches, O coordinators, O linemen aren't good enough, receivers aren't good enough. 1 Playoff appearance in 8 seasons. 1 win against his biggest divisional rival. You'd think he could fluke himself to more than 1 win in 11 tries. But it's not on Jay. His 12 touchdowns to 20 interceptions in his career against the Packers? Not Jay's fault.

I think I read somewhere the Packers game was the highest QB rating Jay Cutler has ever had. Congratulations, nice game. That QB rating is still below Aaron Rodgers's career QB rating. No chance I'd be happy with 7 more years of Jay as my QB.

All I can say is Packers fans are celebrating today. Apparently Bears fans are too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2119 on: January 02, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »

Thanks to Josh McCown.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: January 02, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »
It's never Jay's fault. Too many head coaches, O coordinators, O linemen aren't good enough, receivers aren't good enough. 1 Playoff appearance in 8 seasons. 1 win against his biggest divisional rival. You'd think he could fluke himself to more than 1 win in 11 tries. But it's not on Jay. His 12 touchdowns to 20 interceptions in his career against the Packers? Not Jay's fault.

I think I read somewhere the Packers game was the highest QB rating Jay Cutler has ever had. Congratulations, nice game. That QB rating is still below Aaron Rodgers's career QB rating. No chance I'd be happy with 7 more years of Jay as my QB.

All I can say is Packers fans are celebrating today. Apparently Bears fans are too.

Packers fans celebrating about another team's offseason signing... when their team is 3 days away from a playoff game.   ?-(

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2121 on: January 02, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »

They went 10-6 last year, fire Lovie and go 8-8 (in arguably the worst division in the NFL), and Bears fans are trying to spin it as progress.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:55:32 AM by Bleuteaux »

brandx

« Reply #2122 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
You have two of the best WRs in the league, an electrifying RB that has 2 maybe 3 good years left, and you just rebuilt your entire offensive line.

To throw your QB away after all that would be stupid.

As much as I hate Cutler, you are right despite the hyperbole. With your defense, Emery had no choice if he doesn't want a complete rebuilding.

But the "two of the best WRs in the league is a little much. Marshall is a top 5 receiver, maybe top 3, but anyone ranking Alshon anywhere near that high is dreaming. Good, yes, but don't get carried away.

And you may be the 1st to use electrifying and Matt Forte together. One of the top backs in the league is praise enough.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

Matt Ryan only has one playoff win, should he be cut?  Mark Sanchez has 4 playoffs wins, maybe the Falcons should sign him.

brandx

« Reply #2124 on: January 02, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
Career QB rating.

Cutler 89.2         Flynn 88.3

And Cutler has had at least one "great" receiver almost every year