2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443786 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1475 on: December 11, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
The Titans are reportedly turning down the option on the oft-injured Jake Locker and moving on.

So they are going to replace one younger oft-injured Jake Locker with an older oft-injured Jay Cutler?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: December 11, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
So they are going to replace one younger oft-injured Jake Locker with an older oft-injured Jay Cutler?

I'd hope you're trolling, seeing as this is only the second season that Cutler has missed significant time since he became a starter.  And breaking your thumb isn't exactly an injury common with the injury prone.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1477 on: December 11, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »
I'd hope you're trolling, seeing as this is only the second season that Cutler has missed significant time since he became a starter.  And breaking your thumb isn't exactly an injury common with the injury prone.

But he's hurt right now, so that means he is injury prone.

That's how it works I guess. Oh and don't forget he missed the 2nd half of a game once.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: December 11, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »

Hey, I'm just the messenger's messenger.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293803/article/jay-cutler-could-be-targeted-by-tennessee-titans

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: December 11, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »
I think the Bears front office has it right.  If you can keep Jay for a team friendly contract you do.  If not, see you later, Jay. 

He hasn't proven to be worth the big bucks.  Period.  He will be 31 next year, and he isn't a 'franchise' QB. 

As a Packer fan, I hope to hell that the Bears resign Cutler.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: December 11, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10119874/josh-mccown-chicago-bears-start-jay-cutler-brian-urlacher

Weird.  Only Packers fans with green and gold blinders and pure hatred for Jay Cutler think so...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: December 11, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10119874/josh-mccown-chicago-bears-start-jay-cutler-brian-urlacher

Weird.  Only Packers fans with green and gold blinders and pure hatred for Jay Cutler think so...

Weird. Urlacher's rationale is simply "hot hand." Far different from anyhing you've said

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: December 11, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
Weird. Urlacher's rationale is simply "hot hand." Far different from anyhing you've said

Haha.  The guy played with Jay Cutler for quite some time.  He's not going to go out there and say Jay sucks.  The fact that he's saying McCown should start speaks volumes.  Loud and clear.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #1483 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »

Interesting that Josh's QB rating is over 20 points higher than Jay has ever had. Maybe that's the reason Brian is saying this. A strong arm means nothing when it comes to knowing how to play the position. Peyton has the weakest arm in the league.

Could you ever imagine if Flynn threw for 500 yards and 6 TDs this week that anyone whatsoever would say he should start when Aaron is healthy? Never happen. Ever. By anyone. Especially a former teammate.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: December 12, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »
Urlacher is entitled to his opinion but he is far from unbiased when it comes to Cutler. The two aren't exactly buddies.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1485 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »

Just some food for thought, source is KKFL

Jay Cutler
http://www.kffl.com/player/13538/nfl/injury_history/jay-cutler

Jake Locker
http://www.kffl.com/player/22275/nfl/injury_history/jake-locker

While perhaps over his entire career, Cutler has been durable, the trend over the last 3 years isn't really any different than Locker's and Cutler's age starts to factor into that, plus he's had two concussions.  He's certainly at risk for more.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: December 12, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
I think the Bears front office has it right.  If you can keep Jay for a team friendly contract you do.  If not, see you later, Jay. 

He hasn't proven to be worth the big bucks.  Period.  He will be 31 next year, and he isn't a 'franchise' QB. 

As a Packer fan, I hope to hell that the Bears resign Cutler.

And as a Bears fan I hope he resigns too. With the Packers secondary Jeffery and Marshall would torch them for 150 yards each. Cant wait until week 17 when Rodgers, Cutler, Briggs and Tillman are back and there are no more excuses.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #1487 on: December 12, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
Haha.  The guy played with Jay Cutler for quite some time.  He's not going to go out there and say Jay sucks.  The fact that he's saying McCown should start speaks volumes.  Loud and clear.

I want McCown to keep playing, but Urlacher and Jay were never close.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296868/article/brian-urlacher-bears-should-start-josh-mccown-not-jay-cutler
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
No one asked for it, but here's my take on the Cutler-McCown "controversy."

Jay Cutler is a significantly better and more talented QB than Josh McCown. Anyone arguing otherwise, quite frankly, is a football idiot. The Bears ceiling is higher with Cutler under center and he can make throws that McCown simply cannot make (McCown has said so himself). That said, McCown is very good in the Trestman offense and Cutler could learn a few things from the way it is being run conservatively by McCown. Namely, take the check-downs, have faith in WRs other than Marshall (particularly Jeffery - he's the real deal) and throw the ball away when it's not there. Nothing earth-shattering, I know. While McCown hasn't been afraid to take shots downfield, part of the reason those plays have been there is because the repeated intermediate passes get the safeties to creep up and become vulnerable deep as the game wears on. Cutler has the ability to do all of the things that McCown has been doing, but he can do them better. It's a matter of whether or not he does them that will dictate how far this team can go (along with the run D getting to some level of borderline respectability).

A couple other things worth noting...

- Prior to picking apart a historically bad defense, McCown lost two games to last-place teams with lower-tier defenses, while putting up just 21 and 20 points.

- Trestman doesn't completely trust McCown. He went conservative in regulation and in OT against Minnesota and it cost them the game, he took the ball out of McCown's hands on the biggest play of the Detroit game, etc. Trestman trusts McCown to make the right play, but he doesn't necessarily trust him to make the big play.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:49:21 AM by MerrittsMustache »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
And as a Bears fan I hope he resigns too. With the Packers secondary Jeffery and Marshall would torch them for 150 yards each. Cant wait until week 17 when Rodgers, Cutler, Briggs and Tillman are back and there are no more excuses.

Good chance, one or both will be out of playoff contention by then, so I wouldn't get too excited.

brandx

« Reply #1490 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »

Jay Cutler is a significantly better and more talented QB than Josh McCown. Anyone arguing otherwise, quite frankly, is a football idiot. The Bears ceiling is higher with Cutler under center and he can make throws that McCown simply cannot make (McCown has said so himself). That said, McCown is very good in the Trestman offense and Cutler could learn a few things from the way it is being run conservatively by McCown. Namely, take the check-downs, have faith in WRs other than Marshall (particularly Jeffery - he's the real deal) and throw the ball away when it's not there. Nothing earth-shattering, I know. While McCown hasn't been afraid to take shots downfield, part of the reason those plays have been there is because the repeated intermediate passes get the safeties to creep up and become vulnerable deep as the game wears on. Cutler has the ability to do all of the things that McCown has been doing, but he can do them better. It's a matter of whether or not he does them that will dictate how far this team can go (along with the run D getting to some level of borderline respectability).

Pretty much agree, but you still leave out the one big thing.

Cutler will also make the big turnovers - regularly.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: December 12, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
Pretty much agree, but you still leave out the one big thing.

Cutler will also make the big turnovers - regularly.

Not necessarily. He didn't make "the big turnover" in 7 of the 8 games he played this season.

Avoiding that big TO is exactly why I wrote that Cutler could learn from McCown in terms of running the offense more conservatively and his doing so will dictate how far this team can go.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1492 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
Jay Cutler is a significantly better and more talented QB than Josh McCown. Anyone arguing otherwise, quite frankly, is a football idiot.

MM = Dan Berstein?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
MM = Dan Berstein?

Nah. MM not a big enough pud whack. Clearly he's a fan though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
Nah. MM not a big enough pud whack. Clearly he's a fan though.

I appreciate that, Clark.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: December 12, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »

A couple other things worth noting...

- Prior to picking apart a historically bad defense, McCown lost two games to last-place teams with lower-tier defenses, while putting up just 21 and 20 points.

- Trestman doesn't completely trust McCown. He went conservative in regulation and in OT against Minnesota and it cost them the game, he took the ball out of McCown's hands on the biggest play of the Detroit game, etc. Trestman trusts McCown to make the right play, but he doesn't necessarily trust him to make the big play.

Stache, I agree that Cutler is much more talented than McCown. If they were both pitchers, Cutler would be the one with better "stuff". That said, they have each played about the same number of snaps this year and McCown has been superior by every measurable. In fact, by the numbers anyway, McCown is having a better year than Cutler has ever had. Again, in baseball parlance Cutler may be a #2 starter and McCown a back of the rotation guy - but not this year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: December 12, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
Stache, I agree that Cutler is much more talented than McCown. If they were both pitchers, Cutler would be the one with better "stuff". That said, they have each played about the same number of snaps this year and McCown has been superior by every measurable. In fact, by the numbers anyway, McCown is having a better year than Cutler has ever had. Again, in baseball parlance Cutler may be a #2 starter and McCown a back of the rotation guy - but not this year.

That's a fair analogy. However, much like pitchers, we should expect there to be regression to the mean at some point. Cutler's numbers this season are very similar to his career numbers, but McCown's are significantly better than in his first 51 NFL games. Shouldn't it be expected that McCown will eventually return to playing like a career back-up with a QB rating in the low 70s? In a tight playoff race, it's better to pull him one game too early as opposed to one game too late.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
That's a fair analogy. However, much like pitchers, we should expect there to be regression to the mean at some point. Cutler's numbers this season are very similar to his career numbers, but McCown's are significantly better than in his first 51 NFL games. Shouldn't it be expected that McCown will eventually return to playing like a career back-up with a QB rating in the low 70s? In a tight playoff race, it's better to pull him one game too early as opposed to one game too late.

Evidence would suggest a regression to the mean - I would agree that's the most likely scenario. There's a chance, though, that a cerebral though physically challenged back up has found the perfect combination of coaching, system and surrounding talent to make him a different player. Since he's on a roll and Jay will surely be a little rusty, I'm not sure who plays the rest of this season is a no brainer. One thing is for sure - if they don't win out Trestman will be second guessed by fans and media alike no matter what he decides. At least you're putting your opinion out there before this Sunday.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
Cutler officially named starter for Sunday against Cleveland. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: December 12, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »
Good to see Jay is back. Let me put it this way. If McCown was really that god he wouldnt be a backup that the bears signed only in emergency a few years ago while he was still coaching a high school football team.