collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443821 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1150 on: November 17, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
Like the Bears? ha... but seriously, how about the patriots the year brady went down?

You mean the year they didn't make the playoffs?

Part of this is the lack of an adequate back-up.  I think Thompson should have known that Wallace was a bad idea.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »

You mean the year they didn't make the playoffs?

Part of this is the lack of an adequate back-up.  I think Thompson should have known that Wallace was a bad idea.

sure. just 11-5. my point was that i think belicheck still showed he was a superb coach even when the "star QB" goes down

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: November 17, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
sure. just 11-5. my point was that i think belicheck still showed he was a superb coach even when the "star QB" goes down

Because he had an adequate replacement.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
The race for second AFC wild card is disgusting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Like the Bears? ha... but seriously, how about the patriots the year brady went down?

I've been saying it over and over, the Bears are better with McCown in than with Cutler.  McCown plays to the game plan and takes what the D gives him.  He doesn't turn the ball over or hang onto it until either a big play opportunity strikes or he gets sacked.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »

Because he had an adequate replacement.

fair enough. seems, a bit, like you're changing your original statement though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: November 17, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
fair enough. seems, a bit, like you're changing your original statement though.

Actually my initial statement was incomplete.  I don't think this reflects poorly on McCarthy.  I think the fault lies at the feet of Thompson.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
Collinsworth has lost his fast ball. He's been terrible this season on the call.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:31 AM »
I have no idea but watching highlights on the NFL Network it seems to me that Jim Schwartz has a huge ego.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »

Oh come on.  Take the star QB off of any team and see how well any coach does.

He has a point about the play calling. It played right into the Giants hand. Load up to stop the run, make the third string QB throw long on third down. I had no problem with the fake punt. If he gains a half yard more everyone says it is a brilliant move.

To say McCarthy is a bad coach is ridiculous. He is a top 5 coach in the league in my  opinion. Keep in mind it is more than Rodgers that is missing. You could say every team has to deal with injuries, but no one has had the injuries the Packers have had this year at key positions from training camp on.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
I've been saying it over and over, the Bears are better with McCown in than with Cutler.  McCown plays to the game plan and takes what the D gives him.  He doesn't turn the ball over or hang onto it until either a big play opportunity strikes or he gets sacked.

As a Bears fan no hes not. Cutler is still head and shoulders above McCown. I still feel much more at ease when Cutler is starting. Even thought the Bears are winning McCown cant win you a game lie Cutty can. McCown is a very solid backup and can probably be the no brainer starter for some teams in the league but I will take Cutler every day of the week.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
I have no idea but watching highlights on the NFL Network it seems to me that Jim Schwartz has a huge ego.

Might be the only thing he has that is huge so he has to flaunt it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1162 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
, but no one has had the injuries the Packers have had this year at key positions from training camp on.

I would say Atlanta has dealt with more, but Green Bay has done a better job of dealing with them.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: November 18, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

I would say Atlanta has dealt with more, but Green Bay has done a better job of dealing with them.

Maybe, The most recent thing I saw on NFL Network had GB losing more starters than anyone. Plus, Atlanta still has it's starting QB.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: November 18, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
As a Lion's fan, the best thing I can say about the Steeler game is that Tampa is up next and Ansah will probably be playing.    No defensive line pressure, poor tackling in the secondary, more dropped passes, Stafford good for one quarter, last two drives with Bush on the bench being punished for fumbling, and oh yeah, one of the most poorly timed fake FG attempts ever.    I predicted that if the secondary stayed healthy, this team would be ok.  They have stayed healthy but are the Achilles heel anyway.  If the D-line isn't getting to the QB, the secondary is screwed. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: November 18, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
As a Bears fan no hes not. Cutler is still head and shoulders above McCown. I still feel much more at ease when Cutler is starting. Even thought the Bears are winning McCown cant win you a game lie Cutty can. McCown is a very solid backup and can probably be the no brainer starter for some teams in the league but I will take Cutler every day of the week.

It baffles me that people keep thinking its still an apples to apples comparison.  Its not the same offense.  If Cutler was playing in a vanilla offense and being asked to make throws that McCown is, he would have less interceptions/sacks too.  Trestman chose to play Cutler on a bum leg too long into the second half of the Lions game, which tells you alot about their comparable abilities as well.

McCown is the best backup the Bears have had in a LONG TIME, and, in situations like this, I am very thankful for that.  But this constant desire to throw Cutler under the bus when he's in the middle of arguably his best season as a Bear, when healthy, is dumb.  McCown doesn't win them the Bengals game and Vikings game in the 4th quarter like Cutler did.  And going into the Skins game, he played 2 very good games against the Saints and the Giants.  This whole discussion is nonsense.  Take the win and hope your starters get healthy for a final push.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: November 18, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »
It baffles me that people keep thinking its still an apples to apples comparison.  Its not the same offense.  If Cutler was playing in a vanilla offense and being asked to make throws that McCown is, he would have less interceptions/sacks too.  Trestman chose to play Cutler on a bum leg too long into the second half of the Lions game, which tells you alot about their comparable abilities as well.

In addition, Trestman took the ball out of McCown's hands on the 2-point conversion attempt. Think he's calling a run with a healthy Cutler in the game? No chance.

brandx

« Reply #1167 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »

As a GB fan, I also feel much better when Cutler is starting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: November 18, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

McCown is the best backup the Bears have had in a LONG TIME, and, in situations like this, I am very thankful for that.  But this constant desire to throw Cutler under the bus when he's in the middle of arguably his best season as a Bear, when healthy, is dumb.  McCown doesn't win them the Bengals game and Vikings game in the 4th quarter like Cutler did.  And going into the Skins game, he played 2 very good games against the Saints and the Giants.  This whole discussion is nonsense.  Take the win and hope your starters get healthy for a final push.

Weird you say that.  If the offense is so vanilla with McCown but so complex with Cutler in there, you would think they would be doing better things on offense with Cutler in the game, and you'd think that Cutler would be throwing a lot more long balls than McCown.  But it's interesting, no matter how you slice it McCown's numbers are better.  Yards per attempt?  7.2 for Cutler compared to 7.5 for McCown.  Now let me guess, the Bears fans will say, "Well, Cutler attempts more long balls and has more incompletions weighing those numbers down!  Get a clue!"  Well, OK.  Yards per completion?  11.4 for Cutler compared to 12.4 for McCown.  So...what now?  McCown must just get lucky and all of a sudden Bears receivers remember how to run after the catch, while with Cutler they just get taken down immediately.  Or something like that.  And Cutler's completion percentage is higher than McCown's, sitting at 63% compared to 60%, so he has that going for him.  Otherwise, 13 touchdowns with 8 interceptions and 4 fumbles for Cutler compared to 5 touchdowns with no turnovers at all for McCown in under 1/2 the attempts that Cutler has.  Cutler's QBR is 63.2 compared to McCown's 81.3.  But yeah, it's all because of the vanilla offense the Bears run with McCown.  That's what makes all of McCown's numbers better than Cutler's.  And the fact that when McCown is in the game they win.  2-0 with McCown starting, 4-4 with Cutler starting.  McCown was the one who actually came in and gave them a shot to win against the Redskins and Lions.  Had he started both those games, chances are the Bears are 7-3 or 8-2.

And if this is Cutler's best season as Chicago's QB, then the Bears should be doing everything they can to get someone else in there.  QB rating of 82.4?  7.2 yards per attempt?  13 touchdowns to 8 interceptions with 4 fumbles?  That's 1 more touchdown than it is turnovers.  That is horrendous.

As a GB fan, I also feel much better when Cutler is starting.

100% agreed.  Especially against the Packers, whose defense relies on creating turnovers (a solid 4 this year, fantastic Capers), you can count on at least 2 from Cutler, and many times more, in any game.  McCown?  Well, he's proven to value the football a bit more.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
He has a point about the play calling. It played right into the Giants hand. Load up to stop the run, make the third string QB throw long on third down. I had no problem with the fake punt. If he gains a half yard more everyone says it is a brilliant move.

To say McCarthy is a bad coach is ridiculous. He is a top 5 coach in the league in my  opinion. Keep in mind it is more than Rodgers that is missing. You could say every team has to deal with injuries, but no one has had the injuries the Packers have had this year at key positions from training camp on.

While the Bears O has been pretty healthy (knock on wood), the D is as tattered as any team in the league. 6 starters missing significant time.

LB: Lance Briggs
LB: DJ Williams (Season)
CB: Charles Tillman (Season)
DE: Shea McClellin (Season)
DT: Henry Melton (Season)
DT: Nate Collins (Season)

The Packers haven't lost much on D. Shields, Matthews, Perry? And none of them for the season.

On the offensive side of the ball its a little different obviously.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: November 18, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
While the Bears O has been pretty healthy (knock on wood), the D is as tattered as any team in the league. 6 starters missing significant time.

The Packers haven't lost much on D. Shields, Matthews, Perry? And none of them for the season.

Burnett missed the first 4 weeks, Hayward played in basically 1 game and is done now.  I believe Brad Jones missed a few games.

brandx

« Reply #1171 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »

Good point. With the injuries, the Bear defense is as bad as it gets (let a team that may be the worst rushing team in the league rack up big yards) just as the GB offense is about as bad as it gets with all of their injuries.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: November 18, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »

true,  Hayward hasn't played much, they looking for him to be a big part, also brad jones out for a while,but yes you are right the injuries on defense have been numerous but not as long term.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1173 on: November 18, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

McClellin?  I thought I saw that he would be back practicing this week...

Rich Campbell ā€@Rich_Campbell 3h
Bears injury updates, including Cutler, Briggs, McClellin & more: http://trib.in/17EYUv2
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
Weird you say that.  If the offense is so vanilla with McCown but so complex with Cutler in there, you would think they would be doing better things on offense with Cutler in the game, and you'd think that Cutler would be throwing a lot more long balls than McCown.  But it's interesting, no matter how you slice it McCown's numbers are better.  Yards per attempt?  7.2 for Cutler compared to 7.5 for McCown.  Now let me guess, the Bears fans will say, "Well, Cutler attempts more long balls and has more incompletions weighing those numbers down!  Get a clue!"  Well, OK.  Yards per completion?  11.4 for Cutler compared to 12.4 for McCown.  So...what now?  McCown must just get lucky and all of a sudden Bears receivers remember how to run after the catch, while with Cutler they just get taken down immediately.  Or something like that.  And Cutler's completion percentage is higher than McCown's, sitting at 63% compared to 60%, so he has that going for him.  Otherwise, 13 touchdowns with 8 interceptions and 4 fumbles for Cutler compared to 5 touchdowns with no turnovers at all for McCown in under 1/2 the attempts that Cutler has.  Cutler's QBR is 63.2 compared to McCown's 81.3.  But yeah, it's all because of the vanilla offense the Bears run with McCown.  That's what makes all of McCown's numbers better than Cutler's.  And the fact that when McCown is in the game they win.  2-0 with McCown starting, 4-4 with Cutler starting.  McCown was the one who actually came in and gave them a shot to win against the Redskins and Lions.  Had he started both those games, chances are the Bears are 7-3 or 8-2.And if this is Cutler's best season as Chicago's QB, then the Bears should be doing everything they can to get someone else in there.  QB rating of 82.4?  7.2 yards per attempt?  13 touchdowns to 8 interceptions with 4 fumbles?  That's 1 more touchdown than it is turnovers.  That is horrendous.

100% agreed.  Especially against the Packers, whose defense relies on creating turnovers (a solid 4 this year, fantastic Capers), you can count on at least 2 from Cutler, and many times more, in any game.  McCown?  Well, he's proven to value the football a bit more.

I'm sorry but you're clueless. Where to begin? Oh..nevermind. I'll just say this: the Bears wouldn't have beat Minnesota or Cincy with McCown starting. Also, if Cutler stayed healthy (or even close to healthy), they would have beaten Detroit.