collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443816 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1075 on: November 10, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
That Panthers win today was gigantic in the NFC playoff picture. That win really hurts the Packers (assuming one thinks they have hope).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: November 10, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
Dish, in light of this season so far... any clue what the Bears are going to do with Cutler before next season?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: November 10, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
I came close.   When they called roughing the passer on the first 2-point attempt, I was giddy, as I thought the Lions had found a new way to lose that I hadn't thought of.   After all of these years, they continue to amaze with their creative and innovative ways to lose or attempt to lose. 

From stupid penalties to stupid play-calling, Detroit did all they could to give that game away but the Bears weren't much better. How big was the decision in the 1st half when the Bears went for it on 4th and short instead of taking the 44-yard FG? Both 2-point try plays were awful as well. Not Tresman's best day.

The worst decision from Trestman was leaving Cutler in the game for as long as he did. By the third quarter, the guy couldn't move, couldn't plant and his throws were all arm. He had no business still being in the game at that point. Cutler at about 90% is better than McCown at 100%, but Cutler at 60% needs to be on the sidelines.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Dish, in light of this season so far... any clue what the Bears are going to do with Cutler before next season?

98% chance he gets franchised.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: November 10, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
98% chance he gets franchised.

1% chance the Bears make a SB run leading to a long-term deal and 1% that Trestman decides he wants to go in a different direction?

brandx

« Reply #1080 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
1% chance the Bears make a SB run leading to a long-term deal and 1% that Trestman decides he wants to go in a different direction?

I think they can franchise him for 2 years if they want - lot smarter than committing over $100 mil long term.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: November 11, 2013, 06:11:47 AM »
They might, but they aren't that good either quite frankly.

Yup.   Right now they are the tallest midget in their division.  But you can say that about most of the league.   I have seen maybe 4 teams that I would classify as 'good' (Seattle, NO, Denver, haven't watched the Chiefs yet) and a whole bunch of flawed teams.   This year, things are falling into place for the Lions.   Last year, they lost a ton of close games.   This year, they are winning them.   Same flawed team.   One difference-making play per game they weren't getting last year.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:44:13 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: November 11, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
McGinn was floating the possibility that Capers could be let go this week.  I really don't think that happens, but regardless I think he is done after this year.

I still think their biggest problem out there is their inability to replace Nick Collins with a competent safety.  I think he played a much bigger role than was given credit for.  Another issue they are going to have to face is their best corner right now is Shields...and he's a FA after this year.  As is Raji. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
I'm going with fast and loose, either way.  Do we know about Martin's past....seems very little mentioned about him.

not sure it matters to you, but martin didn't text him those words. he sent him a meme. which, imo, is completely different.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
not sure it matters to you, but martin didn't text him those words. he sent him a meme. which, imo, is completely different.

How so?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1085 on: November 11, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »

My guess is if Incognito had sent him a meme threatening to kill his whole family, that would have been viewed differently.  I would be shocked if Incognito even knows what a meme is.  LOL.

Note that Incognito said he didn't take Martin seriously, nor should he.  Fast and loose....It's what these knuckleheads do.  The way some people are coming down on this you would think Incognito murdered scores of people in the past....erh or at least one thus his stupid (fast and loose) comments should be taken literally, when they shouldn't.

I still find it interesting that the Dolphins players are siding with Incognito on this.  Interesting psychology study. 

brandx

« Reply #1086 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
My guess is if Incognito had sent him a meme threatening to kill his whole family, that would have been viewed differently.  I would be shocked if Incognito even knows what a meme is.  LOL.

Note that Incognito said he didn't take Martin seriously, nor should he.  Fast and loose....It's what these knuckleheads do.  The way some people are coming down on this you would think Incognito murdered scores of people in the past....erh or at least one thus his stupid (fast and loose) comments should be taken literally, when they shouldn't.

I still find it interesting that the Dolphins players are siding with Incognito on this.  Interesting psychology study. 

Probably didn't take Jack Limbaugh seriously either (another guy who left the field after being bullied by Incognito). Probably didn't take the golf volunteer seriously either (who was paid to keep quiet when he assaulted her). Probably didn't take the 3 college coaches who suspended him or kicked him off the team seriously either.

For that matter, he probably didn't take the guys he assaulted in college seriously either.

I don't find it surprising that Dolphins players side with him - at least as long as the people he assaults are not their wives or sons or daughters.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: November 11, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
Probably didn't take Jack Limbaugh seriously either (another guy who left the field after being bullied by Incognito). Probably didn't take the golf volunteer seriously either (who was paid to keep quiet when he assaulted her). Probably didn't take the 3 college coaches who suspended him or kicked him off the team seriously either.

For that matter, he probably didn't take the guys he assaulted in college seriously either.

I don't find it surprising that Dolphins players side with him - at least as long as the people he assaults are not their wives or sons or daughters.

Not surprising at all. It's simple psychology: Side with the bully or become his next target.

brandx

« Reply #1088 on: November 11, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Not surprising at all. It's simple psychology: Side with the bully or become his next target.

+1  It's amazing the same thing happens with these big strong guys (intimidating a 300+ man) as with kids on the playground

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
Why in God's name are people surprised when the violence they encourage with their $ and their adulation doesn't stay neatly confined to the boundaries of the playing field? The drugs the players take to become bigger, stronger and more angry (violent) don't mysteriously leave their systems when the final whistle blows on Sunday. The "culture" in NFL locker rooms would shock most fans but it shouldn't - they're getting what they paid for.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: November 11, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
Cutler out next week (vs Ravens) - high ankle sprain. Tillman to the IR. So... how high can we get our draft pick?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: November 11, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
Cutler out next week (vs Ravens) - high ankle sprain. Tillman to the IR. So... how high can we get our draft pick?

Again, Cutler being out only helps this Bears team.  Not sure how often I will say that.  McCown had 1 drive last week.  What happened?  A touchdown.  Coincidence?  Not really.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: November 11, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Why in God's name are people surprised when the violence they encourage with their $ and their adulation doesn't stay neatly confined to the boundaries of the playing field? The drugs the players take to become bigger, stronger and more angry (violent) don't mysteriously leave their systems when the final whistle blows on Sunday. The "culture" in NFL locker rooms would shock most fans but it shouldn't - they're getting what they paid for.

The culture in NFL locker rooms is not significantly different than that in military organizations, police departments, other professional sports, any occupation that is predominantly male, high in machismo, and requires trust of the person next to you.   There is profanity, inappropriateness, obscenities,  insults, more insults, vulgarity,  all sorts of things that don't easily translate in the outside world outside.   Sometimes, lines get crossed and limits are exceeded.    At all levels.   Versions of this story happen in all of the above listed places, in locker rooms from junior high school on up.   When the lines are ignored there are victims.   And when the lines are crossed too far, the perpetrators have to pay the price.   But this culture is never going to be obliterated.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: November 11, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
The culture in NFL locker rooms is not significantly different than that in military organizations, police departments, other professional sports, any occupation that is predominantly male, high in machismo, and requires trust of the person next to you.   There is profanity, inappropriateness, obscenities,  insults, more insults, vulgarity,  all sorts of things that don't easily translate in the outside world outside.   Sometimes, lines get crossed and limits are exceeded.    At all levels.   Versions of this story happen in all of the above listed places, in locker rooms from junior high school on up.   When the lines are ignored there are victims.   And when the lines are crossed too far, the perpetrators have to pay the price.   But this culture is never going to be obliterated.   

And it probably shouldn't be....as long as it's adaptable to newcomers, the lines aren't crossed all that often, and doesn't denigrate into some sort of "code of silence."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1094 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »

I want you on that wall, we need you on that wall!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: November 11, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
GB sign Flynn.  Desperate times....
Ludum habemus.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
The culture in NFL locker rooms is not significantly different than that in military organizations, police departments, other professional sports, any occupation that is predominantly male, high in machismo, and requires trust of the person next to you.   There is profanity, inappropriateness, obscenities,  insults, more insults, vulgarity,  all sorts of things that don't easily translate in the outside world outside.   Sometimes, lines get crossed and limits are exceeded.    At all levels.   Versions of this story happen in all of the above listed places, in locker rooms from junior high school on up.   When the lines are ignored there are victims.   And when the lines are crossed too far, the perpetrators have to pay the price.   But this culture is never going to be obliterated.  
You have experience with military organizations?  Because I would disagree in 2013.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »

I wouldn't get too pumped on this draft pick thing. By that I mean they'll end up picking any where from probably 14-20. This is not turning into a top 10 pick, if (big if) they somehow made the playoffs, likely trounced.

Half their roster is turning over this offseason, that's the biggest concern.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
Again, Cutler being out only helps this Bears team.  Not sure how often I will say that.  McCown had 1 drive last week.  What happened?  A touchdown.  Coincidence?  Not really.

You can keep saying it, but it's still wrong.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: November 12, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »
I wouldn't get too pumped on this draft pick thing. By that I mean they'll end up picking any where from probably 14-20. This is not turning into a top 10 pick, if (big if) they somehow made the playoffs, likely trounced.

Half their roster is turning over this offseason, that's the biggest concern.

I've been in the "Bears should franchise Cutler" camp to this point, but seeing it put the way you did makes me realize what an unbelievably difficult decision it actually is.  Though not particularly deep at this point, the offense is pretty solid, but the question becomes can they put the defense back together in time to take advantage of it? Will Cutler hold up long enough to make franchising him worthwhile? Hes not old, but he's obviously not getting any younger. The QB class appears deep, but that's one less draft pick you can use on defense. Very tough call.