collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443870 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Based on...?
My overwhelming personal opinion.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: November 08, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »
None of this changes the fact that Cutler is kind of a douche.

Because he doesn't kiss the media's ass he is a douche?  Wake up.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: November 08, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
My overwhelming personal opinion.

And what evidence?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1003 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »
And what evidence?
My humble opinion isn't enough?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: November 08, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »
My humble opinion isn't enough?

You're opinion would be valid if you knew him personally. Do you? Or are you just going off what cameras show you or what media members propagate?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1005 on: November 08, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
You're opinion would be valid if you knew him personally. Do you? Or are you just going off what cameras show you or what media members propagate?
Dang. Stafford's kind of a douche though amirite?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: November 08, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
What is Ponder's prognosis, BTW?    Congrats to Minny for winning a game nobody watched.    Stafford is self-deprecating. See his remarks about his vertical leap as well as his comments on his girlish screaming while mic'd during the final drive in the Dallas game.   He plays hurt.   He accepts criticism.   He heaps praise on Megatron.   He is the best QB for the Lions during my lifetime.   Admittedly, a low bar.   Detroit's defense has to step up during the second half of the year.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:23:58 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1007 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
The season is definitely wide open now with Rodgers out. The best thing the NFL did was schedule division games in week 17 because it will come down to that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: November 08, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
Creighton's gotta stop trollin'.

Stafford seems like a good guy.  He's just got that Frat-Boy-Bro Look that leaves you with a bad first impression.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1009 on: November 08, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
Creighton's gotta stop trollin'.

Stafford seems like a good guy.  He's just got that Frat-Boy-Bro Look that leaves you with a bad first impression.
I'm a diehard packer fan, its all in jest. It doesn't really matter what they do, its fun to hate on the divisional rivals.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1010 on: November 08, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
Are you saying that murder threats and threatening a player's family goes on? Just everyday stuff?

Hope you had a chance to hear Bill Romanowski this morning on Collin Cowherd.  As he said, you can't believe the stuff that actually goes on.  This is nothing. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: November 08, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Hope you had a chance to hear Bill Romanowski this morning on Collin Cowherd.  As he said, you can't believe the stuff that actually goes on.  This is nothing. 

I'm growing tired of current and former football players coming on line saying "it's just the locker room."  The fact is the NFL locker room is a work place, and as such is subject to all sorts of laws and rules.  There isn't a single person on Scoop who could get away with what Incognito did and expect to keep their job, much less keep their employer from being sued.  The NFL isn't exempt.  It isn't any more special or unique than hundreds of other professions.  I wish dipsh*t former football players would stop pretending it is.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: November 08, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »

Oh. So if it's been done before, then it's okay now. It should never stop, for any reason.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: November 08, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »

I'm growing tired of current and former football players coming on line saying "it's just the locker room."  The fact is the NFL locker room is a work place, and as such is subject to all sorts of laws and rules.  There isn't a single person on Scoop who could get away with what Incognito did and expect to keep their job, much less keep their employer from being sued.  The NFL isn't exempt.  It isn't any more special or unique than hundreds of other professions.  I wish dipsh*t former football players would stop pretending it is.

+1. The meatheads need to quit being meatheads.

Same group of people that constantly say that high school football builds character/teamwork/values or that type of BS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Yeah, Romanowski would know.  ::)   I work in a high testosterone, highly insular profession where there is a constant low hum of sophomoric male bonding.   I don't know what the inside of an NFL locker room looks like, but I know what the inside of a fire station looks like.     Different words, same melody.   Incognito has a long history of being an a-hole.    Clearly, this time, the intent met up with the wrong recipient.   A whole lot of stuff here that could have and should have been handled differently.    When I have been on the receiving end of the abuse, when it gets too much, generally a quiet firm conversation suffices.   There have been times when it hasn't and then things get tense for a while.    From a dish-it-out perspective, which is what I usually do, knowing where the line is and when to stop is critical.    Incognito didn't.

A few years back, we had a representative from our city's HR/EEOC department meet with our officers.    She spent 2 hours lecturing us on  harassment.   Sexual, racial, the whole spectrum.  ( For the record, before that meeting, my department had never had a complaint.    We had one a couple of years later on our chief, but he shouldn't have been cheating on his wife with a female lieutenant.    But that is another story.) She said something interesting late in the meeting that stuck with me and I believe is pertinent here.    
        I paraphrase:      When harassment charges come up, we use the 'reasonable person' standard.    Would a reasonable person be offended by what was said/done.   But the reasonable standard clause is different for you in the fire stations than it is in an office.    What you guys routinely say to each other is shocking and offensive, but you ALL do it and until now have known when to stop and where the line is for each other.     We couldn't possibly act that way in my office, but it seems to almost be an important part of who you are and how you get through the day.  

Incognito crossed the line.    Even by the standards of an NFL locker room.   But more importantly, as a leader, he didn't recognize it and stop himself.    
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:31:10 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
There have been times when it hasn't and then things get tense for a while.

You mean your bosses never told you to hit them back like the Dolphins did? The whole story is crazy in how much it has gone back and forth. Incognito was the bad guy, then his teammates support him and reports come out on how he was told to treat Martin like that. Now the new story about Incognito at the golf outing just adds to how blown up this has become.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: November 08, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
tower...excellent post.  Thanks for the perspective.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1017 on: November 08, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
. Now the new story about Incognito at the golf outing just adds to how blown up this has become.

Is that the one where he "emptied a bottle of water on someone"?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: November 08, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
I have invited people who have crossed the line to meet me after the shift.    I have also made the long term choice to bid a different station.
The guy who treated me the worst ultimately took a job as a deputy chief in another state where he was fired within a year after groping a female FF in a bar.    He may or may not have been set up, but he was consistent in his treatment of others and karma eventually caught him.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
Yeah, Romanowski would know.  ::)   I work in a high testosterone, highly insular profession where there is a constant low hum of sophomoric male bonding.   I don't know what the inside of an NFL locker room looks like, but I know what the inside of a fire station looks like.     Different words, same melody.   Incognito has a long history of being an a-hole.      

Incognito crossed the line.    Even by the standards of an NFL locker room.   But more importantly, as a leader, he didn't recognize it and stop himself.   

Agree, stepped over the line.  Don't think anyone has said otherwise, have they?  Naive, however, to ignore that it is part of the culture and this stuff goes on like you can't believe.

Don't understand your Romanowski comments at all.  He was giving actual examples on the radio today, to the point that they had to do two drops because of the language he used.  As I said earlier in this thread, I could tell you some pretty crazy stories from the last 15 years from the athletes we deal with, I'm sure Romanowski can tell some insane ones.  He talked today of guys masterbating and what they would do with it, putting dog crap in lockers, shoes, etc,  harrassing trainers due to sexual orientation, etc, etc.  That was before they cut him off.

Yes, Romanowski would know, he was there to witness it.  The stories he told were about San Francisco.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
Oh. So if it's been done before, then it's okay now. It should never stop, for any reason.

Whoa, where did I ever say that?

I was responding to Brandx's comment the other day as if what Incognito did was the worst he had ever heard.  Like I said then, you can't believe some of the stuff going on, to which he said he doubted it is worse than this.  I disagree, and glad to hear Romanowski come out and say it.

Never said I endorsed it, or whatever.  I do think it is part of the culture, there are lines that get drawn, some are recognized by people and some aren't.  What I find offensive, someone else might not.  All that being said, it goes on and it goes on big time and people are naive as hell to think that the Incognito incident is ultimate example, as I said the other day.  Threatening murder...hah....there are players out there that HAVE murdered and got away with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
Romanowski is not the best choice to be defending the locker room culture, IMO.   Not considering his on field behavior and off-field PED use.   I am not saying that he said anything inaccurate or wrong, just that he wouldn't be my first choice to interview.    But I'm not a Cowherd fan anyway, so it is fairly moot. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
Is that the one where he "emptied a bottle of water on someone"?
Amongst other reported things, yes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1023 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Romanowski is not the best choice to be defending the locker room culture, IMO.   Not considering his on field behavior and off-field PED use.   I am not saying that he said anything inaccurate or wrong, just that he wouldn't be my first choice to interview.    But I'm not a Cowherd fan anyway, so it is fairly moot.  

He wasn't defending it.  He was appalled by it.  Said you can't believe what goes on.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: November 08, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
Whoa, where did I ever say that?

I was responding to Brandx's comment the other day as if what Incognito did was the worst he had ever heard.  Like I said then, you can't believe some of the stuff going on, to which he said he doubted it is worse than this.  I disagree, and glad to hear Romanowski come out and say it.

Never said I endorsed it, or whatever.  I do think it is part of the culture, there are lines that get drawn, some are recognized by people and some aren't.  What I find offensive, someone else might not.  All that being said, it goes on and it goes on big time and people are naive as hell to think that the Incognito incident is ultimate example, as I said the other day.  Threatening murder...hah....there are players out there that HAVE murdered and got away with it.

Fair enough. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. IMO, however, that doesn't mean it needs to, or should, continue. Like others have said, it's a workplace.