collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443824 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »
Can I get in on that action?

Absolutely. Who ya got?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #751 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
Absolutely. Who ya got?

I'm going with the field, not those four.   ;D   

I don't think the Packers defense can make it that far.  Bengals, not with Dalton.  Broncos, yes they have a shot but they have more holes than folks think.  Saints...could be a sleeper...not a bad pick.    I think a lot of folks are burying the 9ers too early.  Colts are interesting, but probably a year or so away.  Seattle inconsistent, but talent is there.  Dark horse pick through midseason would be Panthers.

At the end of the day, I think it's way too early.  Look at the teams at week 8 that were winning last year.  Bears?  Denver?  Houston?  Green Bay?  Giants?  A lot of teams that when it came time to punch the ticket, couldn't do it...some couldn't even make it to the playoffs.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #752 on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:11 PM »
I'm going with the field, not those four.   ;D   

I don't think the Packers defense can make it that far.  Bengals, not with Dalton.  Broncos, yes they have a shot but they have more holes than folks think.  Saints...could be a sleeper...not a bad pick.    I think a lot of folks are burying the 9ers too early.  Colts are interesting, but probably a year or so away.  Seattle inconsistent, but talent is there.  Dark horse pick through midseason would be Panthers.

At the end of the day, I think it's way too early.  Look at the teams at week 8 that were winning last year.  Bears?  Denver?  Houston?  Green Bay?  Giants?  A lot of teams that when it came time to punch the ticket, couldn't do it...some couldn't even make it to the playoffs.

I gathered you didn't want any of those four.

This year isn't last year. I'll grant you possibly the Panthers, but no one else.

Between KC, Indy, Sea, SF, their passing games rank 25, 21, 22, 31. Trend is not their friend going forward in January.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #753 on: October 28, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »
I gathered you didn't want any of those four.

This year isn't last year. I'll grant you possibly the Panthers, but no one else.

Between KC, Indy, Sea, SF, their passing games rank 25, 21, 22, 31. Trend is not their friend going forward in January.

I don't buy KC either.  As for the others, a lot of that has to do with who they are playing.  Indy has beaten Denver, SF, and Seattle.  That's fairly impressive.  SF beat GB.  Etc.  Hard to pick this year, no teams are truly great....at least not yet.  Should be a fun second half.  If GB can get their defense going, they have the talent, won't quibble with you there.  The schedule is so soft, not sure how anyone will know until the playoffs begin. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
I don't buy KC either.  As for the others, a lot of that has to do with who they are playing.  Indy has beaten Denver, SF, and Seattle.  That's fairly impressive.  SF beat GB.  Etc.  Hard to pick this year, no teams are truly great....at least not yet.  Should be a fun second half.  If GB can get their defense going, they have the talent, won't quibble with you there.  The schedule is so soft, not sure how anyone will know until the playoffs begin. 

Sounds like a crap shoot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #755 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
Sounds like a crap shoot.

Anytime it is one game, it's a crapshoot, but much less than the NCAA tournament....the biggest crapshoot in all of sports.  Best team often doesn't win the whole thing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
Huh? Did you pay any attention to what they did in the offseason? They're entire offensive scheme was built around shuffling the offensive line. That's a massive injury in terms of their planning, it's 100% ignorant to think otherwise.

Packers on a 4 game winning streak and running game is 4th in the NFL.  Yeah, I was ignorant all right. Apology accepted. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 30, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »

Packers on a 4 game winning streak and running game is 4th in the NFL.  Yeah, I was ignorant all right. Apology accepted. 

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but

Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, Minnesota.  Only team above .500 is Detroit, and they could easily be 3-5 instead of 5-3... two plays away.

Take away point is 4 game streak against bad teams.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #759 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, Minnesota.  Only team above .500 is Detroit, and they could easily be 3-5 instead of 5-3... two plays away.

And in addition to that, the Rushing Defense ranks of their 7 opponents:
1. SF  21
2. WAS 27
3. CIN 12
4. BYE
5. DET 28
6. BAL 8
7. CLE 20
8. MIN 13
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #760 on: October 30, 2013, 08:34:26 AM »
even with all of the starters currently out on D GB is ranked 11th overall and most likely to improve

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I look at who they have played and will play.  Green Bay's schedule is horrific.  The two best teams they have played, they lost to.  

That stat you are using is yards per game, which is a stat I never understood to rank defenses.  Should be points per game.  In that case, Packers are 16th and when you consider who they have played, I'm not sure that is very impressive.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:38:40 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 30, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
I look at who they have played and will play.  Green Bay's schedule is horrific.  The two best teams they have played, they lost to.  

That stat you are using is yards per game, which is a stat I never understood to rank defenses.  Should be points per game.  In that case, Packers are 14th and when you consider who they have played, I'm not sure that is very impressive.

The packers defense is much improved over what it has been the last few years. If you do not believe that you haven't been watching. They gave up maybe five or six touchdowns in garbage time after they were up by several scores to Washington, Detroit and Minnesota. The scoring stat isn't giving you an accurate picture.

It is also the way in which the defense has improved. They are stopping the run and are much more physical on the defensive line. So your argument about the defense not holding up doesn't hold much water.  

As far as the schedule, they beat the teams they were supposed to, handily and they were significantly short handed. Their losses were to good teams, super bowl quality teams, on the road, both of which they could have easily won, especially Cincy.  Look around at the other good team's schedule. There are a lot of crappy teams in the nfl.  

I think the jury is still out, but the packers are trending in the right direction. They are stopping the run and running the ball effectively, 2 things that go a long way come playoff time.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 30, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »

And in addition to that, the Rushing Defense ranks of their 7 opponents:
1. SF  21
2. WAS 27
3. CIN 12
4. BYE
5. DET 28
6. BAL 8
7. CLE 20
8. MIN 13

Here is something to keep you busy. Take the top 15 running teams in the nfl and do the same analysis of their opponents rushing defense, then get back to me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #763 on: October 30, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
The packers defense is much improved over what it has been the last few years. If you do not believe that you haven't been watching. They gave up maybe five or six touchdowns in garbage time after they were up by several scores to Washington, Detroit and Minnesota. The scoring stat isn't giving you an accurate picture.

It is also the way in which the defense has improved. They are stopping the run and are much more physical on the defensive line. So your argument about the defense not holding up doesn't hold much water.  

As far as the schedule, they beat the teams they were supposed to, handily and they were significantly short handed. Their losses were to good teams, super bowl quality teams, on the road, both of which they could have easily won, especially Cincy.  Look around at the other good team's schedule. There are a lot of crappy teams in the nfl.  

I think the jury is still out, but the packers are trending in the right direction. They are stopping the run and running the ball effectively, 2 things that go a long way come playoff time.

I agree with you that there are a lot of crappy teams, which is why they certainly have a chance.  Other teams have key players out as well, so the injury thing I never buy into.

Yes, the defense looks improved but that is often an inverse of who you are playing.  GB definitely has the offense to win it all, I'm just not sold on the defense.

At the end of the year, how many teams with a winning record will GB play?  I'm guessing for a division winner (I expect them to win the division), they will have the easiest schedule in the league, even moreso than the NFC East winner since they had to play the AFC West, the toughest division in football this year.    Hard to get a handle on GB with the opposition they are playing.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #764 on: October 30, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »

MUDish was correct in his statement at the time. However, I said that the Packers had enough time to fix the problem and the emergence of Bhaktiari will help.  At the time, no one knew how Bulaga would do at left tackle and Barclay played right tackle in 2012 and Newhouse left tackle in 2012 so they would at least be no worse than last year.

You have to credit the coaching staff for developing these guys.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Adding Lacy didn't add to your running attack. Sure, he'll maybe get ten touches a game, but Alabama running backs almost never match their college potential. I think Lacy is more of a product of the Alabama O-Line if anything. But having one of the best offensive lines in college, it made him look a lot better than he really is. Similar to the Hogs of the Washington Redskins. During Super Bowl XXII, one Timmy Smith set the record for most rushing yards in the big game, finishing with 204 yards; one than one third of his NFL career rush yards came from that game. He was a no-name player but his name is now in the history books. I'm not saying Lacy will disappear or be an unknown; I just think you guys have your expectations set a little bit too high for him. He's a product of the Alabama O-line.

I know it's still early in his career, but Lacy is getting more than 10 touches per game and he looks as good behind the packer line as he did behind the bama line.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
I know it's still early in his career, but Lacy is getting more than 10 touches per game and he looks as good behind the packer line as he did behind the bama line.

If the Packers commit to the run, Lacy may go for 200 against the Bears on Monday night.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #767 on: October 30, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
If the Packers commit to the run, Lacy may go for 200 against the Bears on Monday night.

I am more worried about AR throwing for 500.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 30, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I am more worried about AR throwing for 500.

Could be both!

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 30, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »
Could be both!

I don't see that game going like that. The bears have more to lose and have had week off to prepare.  Lacy is not the type of back to get 200 maybe 200 combined between lacy and Starks.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #770 on: October 30, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
I am worried the Bears lose 49-3.

brandx

« Reply #771 on: October 30, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »

If you want to see a bad schedule, look at the one that KC has played. I think the teams are a combined 20 -41. There are a several teams that would be 7-0 against that schedule.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #772 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
If you want to see a bad schedule, look at the one that KC has played. I think the teams are a combined 20 -41. There are a several teams that would be 7-0 against that schedule.

KC has some monster games coming up.  Green Bay doesn't for the entire rest of the year.  Hard not to see GB go 14-2 or 13-3, quite frankly.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #773 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
MUDish was correct in his statement at the time. However, I said that the Packers had enough time to fix the problem and the emergence of Bhaktiari will help.  At the time, no one knew how Bulaga would do at left tackle and Barclay played right tackle in 2012 and Newhouse left tackle in 2012 so they would at least be no worse than last year.

You have to credit the coaching staff for developing these guys.

[/quote

]It is not and was not a catastrophic problem if the catastrophe does not occur.  If no one knew how Bulaga would do at left tackle, his not playing left tackle can also not be a catastrophe.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #774 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
KC has some monster games coming up.  Green Bay doesn't for the entire rest of the year.  Hard not to see GB go 14-2 or 13-3, quite frankly.
only need 11 to win some cash from my good friend Ceasar and his palace.

feedback