2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443782 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #725 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
The Packers' D is better without Matthews. They have 11 guys filling their roles as opposed to 10 guys filling their roles and 1 guy focused only on rushing the passer.

Oh come on.  Since Matthews injury two of the three teams they have played have been quarterbacked by Brandon Weeden and Christian Ponder.  Hardly the type of offenses that are going to make defenses pay.

And Matthews does way more than rush the passer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #726 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
They just gave an amazing stat. Pickett, Kuhn, and Seneca Wallace are the only 3 players on the Packers 53 man roster that have played on any team other than the Packers in their career. No other team has even 40 of their 53 players who haven't played elsewhere.

And Pickett was signed in 2006....Kuhn in 2007.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #727 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »

Oh come on.  Since Matthews injury two of the three teams they have played have been quarterbacked by Brandon Weeden and Christian Ponder.  Hardly the type of offenses that are going to make defenses pay.

Not much.

He's similar to Troy Polamalu. He does his own thing (presumably with the DC's blessing) and makes big plays from time to time but also finds himself out of position just as often, if not more.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #728 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »

The other one was Flacco who I thought was going to tear up the GB defense.  A good RB, good OL, and deep threats, but GB defense actually looked strong in that one.  Granted Flacco has been a bum for most of this year.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #729 on: October 28, 2013, 09:01:15 AM »
Not much.

He's similar to Troy Polamalu. He does his own thing (presumably with the DC's blessing) and makes big plays from time to time but also finds himself out of position just as often, if not more.

My guess is that the Packers coaches know a little more about this stuff than you do - and they seem to think he's a pretty good player.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #730 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
Not much.

You are way off base. Maybe research what actual experts think and then make a more informed comment

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #731 on: October 28, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »

My guess is that the Packers coaches know a little more about this stuff than you do - and they seem to think he's a pretty good player.

Where did I say that he wasn't a good player? He's very good at rushing the passer, but he's below average in coverage, he's not very good against the run and teams know that more times than not, he's going all out to get to the QB and can take advantage of that. Like I said about Polamalu, he takes chances which lead to "highlight" plays but this strategy also leads to him being out of position.

In the last 2 seasons (playoffs included), the Packers are 6-1 without him and 11-7 with him. I understand SOS and sample size factor in to those numbers, but those are still the numbers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #732 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Where did I say that he wasn't a good player? He's very good at rushing the passer, but he's below average in coverage, he's not very good against the run and teams know that more times than not, he's going all out to get to the QB and can take advantage of that. Like I said about Polamalu, he takes chances which lead to "highlight" plays but this strategy also leads to him being out of position.

In the last 2 seasons (playoffs included), the Packers are 6-1 without him and 11-7 with him. I understand SOS and sample size factor in to those numbers, but those are still the numbers.

Then I go with Hairy's suggestion that you simply watch more of the games.

Because the games he missed last year were two games against the 4-12 Lions, the Vikings game at Lambeau, and the game where the Packers got crushed against the New York Giants.  I don't know if you recall that last game, but the Packers defense was terrible...couldn't get off the field and no pass rush.

The Packers have been extremely fortunate to have him injured during relatively weak stretches of both seasons.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:34:07 AM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #733 on: October 28, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »

The other one was Flacco who I thought was going to tear up the GB defense.  A good RB, good OL, and deep threats, but GB defense actually looked strong in that one.  Granted Flacco has been a bum for most of this year.

One of the best paid bums in the world, no doubt!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #734 on: October 28, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
One of the best paid bums in the world, no doubt!

True. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #735 on: October 28, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Ted Thompson is known for over-paying players for sure

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #736 on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
Going to be interesting to see how many people are in the stands for the Rams game tonight...with the Cardinals playing in the WS just a mile or so away.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #737 on: October 28, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
I don't know how many people will be there cheering on the Rams, but I can promise you they will be cheering the right way.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »
This game has been horrendous.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #739 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
This game has been horrendous.

Shocking. What good Thursday/Sunday/Monday Night Football games have there been this year? Not many.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
This is also exactly why I am not one bit scared of the Seahawks, whatsoever. Sure, Russell Wilson can make a few plays based on his athleticism that other quarterbacks cannot make, which may extend a drive here or there. But Russell Wilson is not going to go out and win you a game against a top notch team when he needs to. He's a quarterback who manages the game. He's not a quarterback who's going to make an efficient 3 minute scoring drive down 10 with 7 minutes to play or lead a comeback from down 14. The Seahawks D carries them and allows their offense to just control the football. In the Playoffs their defense will give up some points and their offense will need to respond. I don't think they can against the likes of the Packers and Saints who can just keep putting up points. And I know, they smoked the 9ers. But the 9ers were not playing well in the first 4-5 weeks of the season. I think the 9ers would lay it on them the way they're playing now. Maybe I'll eat my words. I sure hope not, Pete Carroll is one of a VERY few human beings who may be as big of a douche as Tom Crean.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »
That was perhaps one of the worst sequence of football. Ever.

Replay, penalty, penalty, penalty.

Just awful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
This is also exactly why I am not one bit scared of the Seahawks, whatsoever. Sure, Russell Wilson can make a few plays based on his athleticism that other quarterbacks cannot make, which may extend a drive here or there. But Russell Wilson is not going to go out and win you a game against a top notch team when he needs to. He's a quarterback who manages the game. He's not a quarterback who's going to make an efficient 3 minute scoring drive down 10 with 7 minutes to play or lead a comeback from down 14. The Seahawks D carries them and allows their offense to just control the football. In the Playoffs their defense will give up some points and their offense will need to respond. I don't think they can against the likes of the Packers and Saints who can just keep putting up points. And I know, they smoked the 9ers. But the 9ers were not playing well in the first 4-5 weeks of the season. I think the 9ers would lay it on them the way they're playing now. Maybe I'll eat my words. I sure hope not, Pete Carroll is one of a VERY few human beings who may be as big of a douche as Tom Crean.

Players love him.  Amazing, isn't it

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #743 on: October 28, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
Players love him.  Amazing, isn't it

Well I'll give the guy 1 thing, he sure knows when to get out. Must've just been a coincidence that Carroll left USC the year the NCAA was going to lay down the hammer on him. He's a complete scumbag, whether or not other rich scumbags like to play for him or not.

Also just look at the picture of him calling the touchdown along with the ref after the "Fail Mary" was reviewed. Seriously? I wouldn't even expect that out of a college player, let alone an NFL coach. Very childish. Especially when he absolutely knows it was the completely wrong call. Can you imagine Mike McCarthy doing that? Think Tony Dungy ever would've done that? Bill Bellicheck?  Mike Tomlin? Andy Reid? Hell no. Only absolute tools would do something like that. I can think of only 3 NFL coaches who would do that. Rex Ryan, Pete Carroll, and Jim Harbough. All complete douche bags. Not even John Harbough would consider doing that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #744 on: October 28, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
Thank god that crap is over. Awful time management by Carroll, awful play call to end the game. Play action probably wins it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #745 on: October 28, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Well I'll give the guy 1 thing, he sure knows when to get out. Must've just been a coincidence that Carroll left USC the year the NCAA was going to lay down the hammer on him. He's a complete scumbag, whether or not other rich scumbags like to play for him or not.

Also just look at the picture of him calling the touchdown along with the ref after the "Fail Mary" was reviewed. Seriously? I wouldn't even expect that out of a college player, let alone an NFL coach. Very childish. Especially when he absolutely knows it was the completely wrong call. Can you imagine Mike McCarthy doing that? Think Tony Dungy ever would've done that? Bill Bellicheck?  Mike Tomlin? Andy Reid? Hell no. Only absolute tools would do something like that. I can think of only 3 NFL coaches who would do that. Rex Ryan, Pete Carroll, and Jim Harbough. All complete douche bags. Not even John Harbough would consider doing that.

Actually poor college kids liked to play for him, too.  Look, I don't care for him, but I always find it interesting that people who have never met these people call them dbags and people that actually know these guys, played for them, basically had to spend years of their existence with them have a different opinion. 

I can imagine Bil Bellicheck cheating...because he has.  I didn't watch the game, have no idea what he cheered about or didn't.  I guess I need to see the picture you are talking about. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
Actually poor college kids liked to play for him, too.  Look, I don't care for him, but I always find it interesting that people who have never met these people call them dbags and people that actually know these guys, played for them, basically had to spend years of their existence with them have a different opinion. 

I can imagine Bil Bellicheck cheating...because he has.  I didn't watch the game, have no idea what he cheered about or didn't.  I guess I need to see the picture you are talking about. 

Poor college kids who had to take a paycut to go to the NFL when Pete Carroll was coaching them at USC. Cheating and leaving as you're about to be caught = scumbag douche bag. Bill Bellicheck was a bad comparison you're right because he's a scumbag as well, but at least he sticks around to see his punishment and fixes the problem.

The picture is at the bottom of this page. Just before it was taken he was helping the ref make the touchdown call right next to him. Tool. Kinda reminds me of college basketball coaches who run up to assistants after big wins and exclaim, "THAT'S HOW YOU WIN AT INDIANA!" Only to see the other team go on to the National Championship game while Indiana's number 1 seeded team bows out in the Sweet 16, before the school he left (just like every year but 1, in which he made it just as far).

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/09/packers-seahawks-monday-night-football

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
Some combo of these four teams (barring injuries) will be in the Super Bowl.

Broncos, Bengals, Saints, Packers

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #748 on: October 28, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
Poor college kids who had to take a paycut to go to the NFL when Pete Carroll was coaching them at USC. Cheating and leaving as you're about to be caught = scumbag douche bag. Bill Bellicheck was a bad comparison you're right because he's a scumbag as well, but at least he sticks around to see his punishment and fixes the problem.

The picture is at the bottom of this page. Just before it was taken he was helping the ref make the touchdown call right next to him. Tool. Kinda reminds me of college basketball coaches who run up to assistants after big wins and exclaim, "THAT'S HOW YOU WIN AT INDIANA!" Only to see the other team go on to the National Championship game while Indiana's number 1 seeded team bows out in the Sweet 16, before the school he left (just like every year but 1, in which he made it just as far).

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/09/packers-seahawks-monday-night-football

Oh, from that game.  Eh, I can see why Packers fans get upset, but it's the heat of the moment stuff.  Let me guess, I'll bet WVU fans weren't too excited about a coach dancing on their logo to their song after a win in their gym and probably called the coach a douche, etc, etc.  Sound familiar?  Bueller...Bueller?   ;)

As for the paycut thing, who knows.  Again, I just find it interesting what people know about others who they have never met, while those that spend years with them feel entirely different.  It is just interesting to me. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #749 on: October 28, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
Some combo of these four teams (barring injuries) will be in the Super Bowl.

Broncos, Bengals, Saints, Packers

Can I get in on that action?