collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443810 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #550 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
How 'bout those Bears!

Yeesh, Thursday night football is ugly.

only when the Bears play

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #551 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
How 'bout those Bears!

Yeesh, Thursday night football is ugly.

Ouch, as a Bears fan that was ugly...thankfully the Giants are just terrible.  

Chicago's Defense is just not that good.  If there is no turnover then it's going to be points.  They just cannot get off the field...no pressure on the QB with front four, yes I know they are thin at tackle but you'd never guess Peppers was on the field...ok, let me stop or I'll go all day.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #552 on: October 11, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
Ouch, as a Bears fan that was ugly...thankfully the Giants are just terrible.  

Chicago's Defense is just not that good.  If there is no turnover then it's going to be points.  They just cannot get off the field...no pressure on the QB with front four, yes I know they are thin at tackle but you'd never guess Peppers was on the field...ok, let me stop or I'll go all day.

I haven't watched a whole lot of Bear football this year yet, but the concern I would have if I were a Bear fan is they depend too much on the big turnover. When they get it, they are fine, but good teams don't turn the ball over as much and you can't depend on the game changing turnover every week. Also, the age on the defense is catching up with them and it will get worse as the year goes on.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »

It just looks like it is played at a different speed.  I just wish the NFL would stop doing this, or at least limit it to teams coming off their bye weeks.  Even when the games are close, they don't "look" right to me.

I think the exact same thing. The players look a step slow and still sore from the previous week. It makes sense though when you consider that they have 3 days to recover as opposed to 6.

If the NFL wants to keep Thursday night games (which they do), they need to allow teams to play on Thursday the week after their bye. Players would get 10 days to get right, play a game and then get 9 days to get right again. If the NFL wants to continue to pretend to care about the safety of the players, it would very logical to do this. Admittedly, I don't know all of the scheduling logistics though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:35:25 AM by MerrittsMustache »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
I don't think it is a safety issue.  Are players more apt to get hurt playing on less rest?  Especially if the other team is as well?  I just think it is a "quality of the game" issue.

BTW, the Giants are terrible.  They got old quick, and didn't replace their players with decent enough talent.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #555 on: October 11, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
I don't think it is a safety issue.  Are players more apt to get hurt playing on less rest?  Especially if the other team is as well?  I just think it is a "quality of the game" issue.

BTW, the Giants are terrible.  They got old quick, and didn't replace their players with decent enough talent.

The quality definitely suffers but, IMO, it's hard to talk about improving player safety when asking guys to play 2 games in 5 days.

Your spot-on about the Giants..and I fear that the Bears are going to be facing a similar problem before too long.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #556 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #557 on: October 11, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #559 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
I'm not really into "an eye for an eye" style punishment... but lock this dude in a room with Peterson for 15min... let's see what happens.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #560 on: October 11, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
Thursday night football sucks, plain and simple. It's basically the equivalent of someone waking me up at 3am, and asking me to do a sales call (even if I know in advance I'm going to be awoken).

It's a weird dynamic that the NFL has. They are trying to make every dollar possible, but there is still the mentality that Friday nights are reserved for high school football, Saturday is reserved for college football, and Sunday/Monday is for the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I respect and like that set up, and don't think it will change. However, the expansion to full season of Thursday night games flat out sucks. It's fine for the opening Thursday in Week 1, if they wanted to do it starting Week 5 for the bye week teams from Week 4, that's fine.

It's been talked about in small discussions, but what will be interesting is eventually if/when the NFL spreads out the Sunday schedule. Rumor was (is?) there'd be an east coast 11am CST kick, a couple of noon kick's, then spreading out games each hour. Theory is you'll get more eye balls on each game, as they'll start/finish more independently of one another.

PS-I think every Raider home game (at least against any Mountain/Pacific time zone team) should be a 10:30pm CST kick. It's so Raiders. I loved that last Sunday night, even though the ratings sucked.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #561 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »
Thursday night football sucks, plain and simple. It's basically the equivalent of someone waking me up at 3am, and asking me to do a sales call (even if I know in advance I'm going to be awoken).

It's a weird dynamic that the NFL has. They are trying to make every dollar possible, but there is still the mentality that Friday nights are reserved for high school football, Saturday is reserved for college football, and Sunday/Monday is for the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I respect and like that set up, and don't think it will change. However, the expansion to full season of Thursday night games flat out sucks. It's fine for the opening Thursday in Week 1, if they wanted to do it starting Week 5 for the bye week teams from Week 4, that's fine.

It's been talked about in small discussions, but what will be interesting is eventually if/when the NFL spreads out the Sunday schedule. Rumor was (is?) there'd be an east coast 11am CST kick, a couple of noon kick's, then spreading out games each hour. Theory is you'll get more eye balls on each game, as they'll start/finish more independently of one another.

PS-I think every Raider home game (at least against any Mountain/Pacific time zone team) should be a 10:30pm CST kick. It's so Raiders. I loved that last Sunday night, even though the ratings sucked.

I can't get used to it. I am just not in the mind set for football on Thursday night. I forget that it is even on. Sunday night is fine because it is just a carry on of the early games and Monday is ok because it is established and we expect it, but Thursday night just feels awkward for nfl.

maybe the kickoff game as you say and then games starting with and after Thanksgiving I would be fine with.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #563 on: October 11, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Looks like they are taking him off life support tonight.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/10/adrian_petersons_sioux_falls_child_was_a_secret_source_says.php

Frickin horrible, 

Stories like this make me physically ill and not just because it is a famous football player.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »
Makes everything else going on trivial. Not a Vikes fan but a Peterson fan.  Prayers are with him

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I'm not really into "an eye for an eye" style punishment... but lock this dude in a room with Peterson for 15min... let's see what happens.

I'm all for an eye for an eye style.  I would actually make it 15 guys on one, to simulate what it is like for a grown adult on a 2 year old.  Adrian on this piece of feces wouldn't be fair comparison.

Prayers for the family and especially the young boy.  Disgraceful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
I place some blame on the baby momma. 

The child was in Patterson's apartment, where the boy had recently moved with his mother. 

Maybe she didn't know, but Patterson has quite a history:

Court records show that Patterson has a son with another Sioux Falls woman, and also show that the mother had asked for protection orders twice, claiming he'd choked and punched her, threatened her with a knife and held her in the bedroom against her will.

The mother chose not to pursue permanent protection orders, which ultimately were dropped voluntarily in 2010 and 2011.

In 2012, Patterson was charged with simple assault against the mother, however, and was ordered to undergo family violence training and to stay away from her until completing it.

Patterson's child lives with his mother, who declined to comment Friday morning when reached by The Argus Leader.

Another woman applied for a protection order against Patterson in 2004 in Jackson County, where he attended high school.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/10/11/adrian-peterson-son-critical-condition/2966015/
Ludum habemus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
I place some blame on the baby momma. 

The child was in Patterson's apartment, where the boy had recently moved with his mother. 

Maybe she didn't know, but Patterson has quite a history:

Court records show that Patterson has a son with another Sioux Falls woman, and also show that the mother had asked for protection orders twice, claiming he'd choked and punched her, threatened her with a knife and held her in the bedroom against her will.

The mother chose not to pursue permanent protection orders, which ultimately were dropped voluntarily in 2010 and 2011.

In 2012, Patterson was charged with simple assault against the mother, however, and was ordered to undergo family violence training and to stay away from her until completing it.

Patterson's child lives with his mother, who declined to comment Friday morning when reached by The Argus Leader.

Another woman applied for a protection order against Patterson in 2004 in Jackson County, where he attended high school.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/10/11/adrian-peterson-son-critical-condition/2966015/

There is nobody to blame but the adult who beat a 2 year old to death.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »
The 2-year-old son of Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has died.

Police in South Dakota confirmed to Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the 2-year-old boy died, days after he was allegedly beaten by his mother’s boyfriend. Robert Joseph Patterson was arrested on charges of aggravated battery of an infant and aggravated assault, and the state’s attorney is now reviewing the matter for possible additional charges.

The names of the boy and his mother are being withheld, at the family’s request. Peterson briefly addressed reporters today and asked for privacy for his family.

Peterson, the NFL’s reigning Most Valuable Player, plans to play on Sunday.

Sad all around

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #569 on: October 11, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »

+1   :'(

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #570 on: October 12, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »

I disagree.  IF she knew of Patterson's violent past behavior, and decided to move in with him despite that knowledge, she deserves to be blamed.  I'm not saying it would be criminal behavior, but certainly blameworthy.  Like allowing your five year old son to be babysat by a known pedophile. 
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #572 on: October 12, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
Like Dahmer, he won't last very long in prison.  Guard turns his back for 5 minutes and it will all be taken care of

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #573 on: October 12, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #574 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
Packers continue to absolutely kill themselves. Unbelievable.

Offense also continues to suck, despite the emergence of a run game. Not sure why the Packers refuse to huddle when the offense continues to do absolutely nothing. Speeding things up doesn't do anything for you when you're off the field in 3 plays, and it doesn't wear a defense down to play 3 quick plays. Very frustrating.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback