collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443796 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2013, 07:18:59 AM »
I really don't see much there.  Staley runs in grabs Mathews around the collar/pads.  Matthews swings in a pushing motion to get him off.  Staley continues to hold on to the pads and push him around, Matthews keeps on trying to push him off.  Both are involved in a scuffle and should have been flagged.  If you fine Matthews, you have to fine Staley.  Nothing there amounts to a punch that would command a larger fine. 

The most eggregious punch in the ordeal was by Boldin, who ran in from about 30 yards away, when pushed turned and threw a closed fisted punch at one of the D-backs of GB.  Actually should have amounted to an ejection. 

I wouldn't be suprised to see a fine though as the NFL seems committed to make it appear as if the mistake didn't hurt GB, but rather was coupled to a second blown call.  They also came to the rescue last year in Seattle. 

In that case Boldin should be fined too...

A smack to the facemask is different than repeatedly punching/slapping someone under the facemask. Harbaugh's line about Matthews was hilarious.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
A smack to the facemask is different than repeatedly punching/slapping someone under the facemask. Harbaugh's line about Matthews was hilarious.

Really? Reapetedly under the facemask? How does one even do that?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
Really? Reapetedly under the facemask? How does one even do that?

Um...watch the play. He sticks his hand under Staley's facemask and hits him several times.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
In that case Boldin should be fined too...

Ok...? Fine them both. or suspend them both. I'm absolutely ok with that.

What's your point again?

Jimmy B is the Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »

I don't see any slaps or punches under the facemask. He is just pushing him away, it really doesn't look fine-worthy to me.

Ya,  harbaughs line was hilarious considering harbaugh broke his hand and missed  month after punching jim kelly, so I'm sure he would LOVE if the same thing happened to clay.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
I don't see any slaps or punches under the facemask. He is just pushing him away, it really doesn't look fine-worthy to me.

Ya,  harbaughs line was hilarious considering harbaugh broke his hand and missed  month after punching jim kelly, so I'm sure he would LOVE if the same thing happened to clay.

That's not the whole clip. It sure looked like he was reaching under his facemask and slapping him later on. Could be wrong.

Don't worry, Clay will get his month-long/4-game sitdown eventually. He's going to get his masking agent out of sync at some point.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
That's not the whole clip. It sure looked like he was reaching under his facemask and slapping him later on. Could be wrong.

How could a guy even slap someone with his hand under his facemask? What are we talking, and inch and a half of clearance, maybe two?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
Don't worry, Clay will get his month-long/4-game sitdown eventually. He's going to get his masking agent out of sync at some point.

An NFL player using PEDs? Say it isn't so.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
This Pats/Jets game has been awful to watch. Quality of the NFL product early on has not been great.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #284 on: September 13, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
This Pats/Jets game has been awful to watch. Quality of the NFL product early on has not been great.

What a horrible matchup to have as your "first" TNF game.  I get that it's the whole NY vs BOS thing, but let's face it - the Pats aren't the team they used to be and the Jets are, well, the Jets. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »

Shortened off-season due to the restrictions in the last CBA is probably the main culprit.  Although I wonder if the dearth of traditional "pro-set" quarterbacks coming out of college football is another. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
NFL needs to tweek the whole TNF product.  Seems that 75% of the games are hot garbage.  Teams playing in that game need to be coming off a bye, IMHO.

But the NFL won't do that because.

[/url]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/img]
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brandx

« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »

Shortened off-season due to the restrictions in the last CBA is probably the main culprit.  Although I wonder if the dearth of traditional "pro-set" quarterbacks coming out of college football is another. 

Or the fact that one team has no QB and the other is missing its top 5 or 6 receivers from last year. Right now, Brady may have the worst receiving group in the history of the NFL. When Julian Edelman is your #1 - you got big problems.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
Or the fact that one team has no QB and the other is missing its top 5 or 6 receivers from last year. Right now, Brady may have the worst receiving group in the history of the NFL. When Julian Edelman is your #1 - you got big problems.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. The 2008 Bears' receiving corps is not going to give up its title after just 2 games!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #289 on: September 13, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. The 2008 Bears' receiving corps is not going to give up its title after just 2 games!

19 Devin Aromashodu
85 Earl Bennett
86 Marty Booker
81 Rashied Davis
23 Devin Hester PR
80 Brandon Lloyd
84 Brandon Rideau

I think the Pats WRs may be worse.  But if Grossman would have gone off on them during a game like Brady did last night, they would have likely murdered him on the spot.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
19 Devin Aromashodu
85 Earl Bennett
86 Marty Booker
81 Rashied Davis
23 Devin Hester PR
80 Brandon Lloyd
84 Brandon Rideau

I think the Pats WRs may be worse.  But if Grossman would have gone off on them during a game like Brady did last night, they would have likely murdered him on the spot.

The Pats' WR are pretty bad but the Bears two leading WR were both converted cornerbacks (Hester and Davis). That's tough to top (bottom?) over a 16-game season.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
A microcosm of the of that game last night was the all time worst special teams play (by both teams) that I've ever seen.

Pats punting from (trying to recall here) roughly their own 35 (?), Jets don't send anyone back (!) to return the punt, punt bounces at the Jets 20...with absolutely zero Jets back there...and the Pats down it at the Jets 22.

brandx

« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
A microcosm of the of that game last night was the all time worst special teams play (by both teams) that I've ever seen.

Pats punting from (trying to recall here) roughly their own 35 (?), Jets don't send anyone back (!) to return the punt, punt bounces at the Jets 20...with absolutely zero Jets back there...and the Pats down it at the Jets 22.

Loved that play  ;D

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »

Saw that.  Incredible.  I was wondering whether the Jets saw something that led them to believe it was a fake punt.  But no, just incompetence, on both teams.
Ludum habemus.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Vick Ballard out for the year. If you need RB help on your fantasy team, go get Ahmad Bradshaw

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 14, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
Saw that.  Incredible.  I was wondering whether the Jets saw something that led them to believe it was a fake punt.  But no, just incompetence, on both teams.

Why did the Jets keep their coach anyway. He should of been fired with Tebow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
I, too, would have a tough time choosing to stay and play with "12" when I have the opportunity to play for the great leader that is Christian Ponder. Enjoy that, Greg Jennings!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »
I, too, would have a tough time choosing to stay and play with "12" when I have the opportunity to play for the great leader that is Christian Ponder. Enjoy that, Greg Jennings!

Revisionist history. He didn't "choose" not to stay - the Pack had no interest in re-signing him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Great job Fox, I love not watching an important 2 min drill. Lovely.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Revisionist history. He didn't "choose" not to stay - the Pack had no interest in re-signing him.
No you are wrong. Packers offered him almost the same amount and more a year prior that he turned down