collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443828 times)

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »
Trent Richardson disagrees with you.

That's why I said "almost". Learn how to read, mate.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
I was worried that the Packers would be holding on to Harrell simply because he had been around longer.  I was pleasantly surprised last night.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »
FWIW's, here's my NFL preview.

There's no awful team in the NFC, it's the deepest conference I've ever seen. If Freeman is good, the Bucs can legit win the South. Rams defense is going to be real good. I think Arians turns the Cards into contenders. If Philly had any kind of defense (and they don't), they'd be a trendy pick to win the East (which 9-7 can probably win this year).

As for Bears/Pack/North...I really have no idea what the Bears are going to be this year. They could as easily be 6-10 as they could be 10-6. My gut feeling is they'll be better as the season progresses. The one game they gameplanned against the Raiders (albeit worst team in the NFL), I saw offensive schemes that finally utilized proper personnel, which is very un-Bears like. Kyle Long will have growing pains at times picking up blitzes/stunts, but looks like he is going to be an elite NFL player. This team is going to fail/succeed based on Cutler. I know that's oversimplyfing it, but absolutely true.

I think the Pack schedule benefits them greatly. Arguably their two toughest games come in the first 3 weeks, then they get a bye. I think this will give them time to regroup their o-line, get Lacy comfortable both running and pass protecting. I actually think the Pack will throw the ball more than people think this season (even with Lacy). Pack's defense will determine how far they go.

Lions secondary is still a nightmare, they can not make the playoffs with that secondary. I think the Vikes are better, but I can't get past Ponder leading this team to back to back playoff appearances. If AP can literally carry this team again, that would be remarkable.

Playoff teams: Pack, Seahawks, Falcons, Giants, Bucs, Niners

AFC is as weak as it's been in a long time.

Playoff teams: Broncos, Pats, Texans, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins

If you want to know why I have the Dolphins and Chiefs in, it's because the Chiefs will have 4 games with Raiders/Chargers (one is awful, one is real bad) and the Dolphins have 4 games with the Jets/Bills (awful/real bad). I even think the Broncos/Pats regress some, and if the Texans were in the NFC, I'd have them missing the playoffs. If the Browns were in the AFC West or AFC East, I'd give them an outside chance of a wildcard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
FWIW's, here's my NFL preview.

There's no awful team in the NFC, it's the deepest conference I've ever seen. If Freeman is good, the Bucs can legit win the South. Rams defense is going to be real good. I think Arians turns the Cards into contenders. If Philly had any kind of defense (and they don't), they'd be a trendy pick to win the East (which 9-7 can probably win this year).

As for Bears/Pack/North...I really have no idea what the Bears are going to be this year. They could as easily be 6-10 as they could be 10-6. My gut feeling is they'll be better as the season progresses. The one game they gameplanned against the Raiders (albeit worst team in the NFL), I saw offensive schemes that finally utilized proper personnel, which is very un-Bears like. Kyle Long will have growing pains at times picking up blitzes/stunts, but looks like he is going to be an elite NFL player. This team is going to fail/succeed based on Cutler. I know that's oversimplyfing it, but absolutely true.

I think the Pack schedule benefits them greatly. Arguably their two toughest games come in the first 3 weeks, then they get a bye. I think this will give them time to regroup their o-line, get Lacy comfortable both running and pass protecting. I actually think the Pack will throw the ball more than people think this season (even with Lacy). Pack's defense will determine how far they go.

Lions secondary is still a nightmare, they can not make the playoffs with that secondary. I think the Vikes are better, but I can't get past Ponder leading this team to back to back playoff appearances. If AP can literally carry this team again, that would be remarkable.

Playoff teams: Pack, Seahawks, Falcons, Giants, Bucs, Niners

AFC is as weak as it's been in a long time.

Playoff teams: Broncos, Pats, Texans, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins

If you want to know why I have the Dolphins and Chiefs in, it's because the Chiefs will have 4 games with Raiders/Chargers (one is awful, one is real bad) and the Dolphins have 4 games with the Jets/Bills (awful/real bad). I even think the Broncos/Pats regress some, and if the Texans were in the NFC, I'd have them missing the playoffs. If the Browns were in the AFC West or AFC East, I'd give them an outside chance of a wildcard.

Good as always dish. Any chance you want to write a fantasy preview? I'd be grateful. My draft is on Wednesday...

jesmu84

• All American

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
I am a little more Bullish on the Bears. They have little margin for error, but they look pretty well rounded to me. I think they are going to be pretty good. The Packers will score points, but I don't know that they have found a way to stop anyone. Not hot on the Vikings, but I think the Lions could be pretty good as well.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Packers without Harris all year - team can't buy a break on #1 RB.  Perhaps Lacy can carry the load but a lot to ask of a rookie.  Agree on defense - still same issues as last 2 years.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
Dish hit the nail on the head in regards to the Lions secondary.   It has been a Superfund site for years.   To be a Lion's DB is like being a Spinal Tap drummer.     Every year, by week 10, they are pulling guys in off of the street on Tuesday and starting them on Sunday.    This year, there are decent parts back there, but a lot of them are china dolls.    So, if Detroit's secondary stays relatively healthy (assuming health everywhere else, too), Detroit contends for a playoff berth.   If the curse of the Lion's DB continues, 7-9.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Why keep Young for this long if you're just going to cut him on the last day? Practice squad?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
Why keep Young for this long if you're just going to cut him on the last day? Practice squad?

He can't be on the practice squad.  Been around too long.

I think they were hoping that he would show something more the last week...both in practice and in the KC game.  They should have signed him a few months ago and given him a better chance. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
He can't be on the practice squad.  Been around too long.

I think they were hoping that he would show something more the last week...both in practice and in the KC game.  They should have signed him a few months ago and given him a better chance. 
TT said the same in the JS today.  He took the blame.

Can they keep him around in an unofficial capacity to work with him?  Not sure if they even see enough to make that commitment

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
So the Packers send VY packing, and cut BJ Coleman... only to sign Seneca Wallace?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
Ballsy picks to say Dolphins and Chiefs in playoffs. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
So the Packers send VY packing, and cut BJ Coleman... only to sign Seneca Wallace?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Speaking of backup QBs from Green Bay. 

How long before Flynn gets cut/waived?  Couldn't beat out Russell Wilson last year, and this year is going to backup Terrell Pryor.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »

How long before Flynn gets cut/waived?  Couldn't beat out Russell Wilson last year, and this year is going to backup Terrell Pryor.

Good possibility he'll be cut next year. Guaranteed $6.5M in Oakland this year though, so he won't be going anywhere. But, if he gets a chance to play this year, and actually performs (tough duty. the Raiders are pathetic), you never know what might happen.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

No player in the last 10 years has made more out of a single game than Matt Flynn. 

I can't wait to see Pryor do the same crap he did at OSU, aka see his initial read isn't there and take off running, and get his clock cleaned by a few LBs.  He literally hasn't meaningfully improved since his freshman year of college, he's just a physical freak.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »
No player in the last 10 years has made more out of a single game than Matt Flynn. 

and even more so since he's only played a single game in what now, a 5 (or 6?) year career?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
NFL related ... there should be some really good games to watch tonight and this weekend.  Just looking through my confidence pool, these are some really tough games to pick:

Minnesota @ Detroit
Green Bay @ SF
Philadelphia @ Washington
NY Giants @ Dallas
Baltimore @ Denver

Even the bad teams will be battling each other.

KC @ Jacksonville
Miami @ Cleveland
Tampa @ NY Jets

I could go either way on all those games!  Is excited.  :o

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
KC.  Jax will win maybe 2 games this year, unless Mojo goes bananas.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »
NFL related ... there should be some really good games to watch tonight and this weekend.  Just looking through my confidence pool, these are some really tough games to pick:

Minnesota @ Detroit
Green Bay @ SF
Philadelphia @ Washington
NY Giants @ Dallas
Baltimore @ Denver

Even the bad teams will be battling each other.

KC @ Jacksonville
Miami @ Cleveland
Tampa @ NY Jets

I could go either way on all those games!  Is excited.  :o

KC will be a .500 team. Mark it down!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
I mentioned this in my mini NFL preview, but I'd all but guarantee the Chiefs are a playoff team. It's all just for fun, but Bovada has their total at 7 1/2 (-155). For fun's sake, I pounded the over.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they win the AFC West either. Just look at the Chiefs schedule, it might be the easiest schedule I've ever seen.

@ Jags, Pokes, @ Eagles, Giants, @ Titans, Raiders, Texans, Browns, @ Bills, Bye, @ Broncos, Chargers, Broncos, @ Skins, @ Raiders, Colts, @ Chargers

Their toughest road game, at Denver, comes after their bye week. They get the Texans and Colts both at home. That sked is ridiculous.

They're better than their awful record last year. They should be better coached and better at QB. This is at least an 8 win team.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
and even more so since he's only played a single game in what now, a 5 (or 6?) year career?

Not to pick nits, but Flynn started two games for the Packers.  Against New England in 2010 when Rodgers was injured, and then the last  regular game of the 2011 season (played in January of 2012) when he lit up the Lions. 
Ludum habemus.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
I mentioned this in my mini NFL preview, but I'd all but guarantee the Chiefs are a playoff team. It's all just for fun, but Bovada has their total at 7 1/2 (-155). For fun's sake, I pounded the over.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they win the AFC West either. Just look at the Chiefs schedule, it might be the easiest schedule I've ever seen.

@ Jags, Pokes, @ Eagles, Giants, @ Titans, Raiders, Texans, Browns, @ Bills, Bye, @ Broncos, Chargers, Broncos, @ Skins, @ Raiders, Colts, @ Chargers

Their toughest road game, at Denver, comes after their bye week. They get the Texans and Colts both at home. That sked is ridiculous.

They're better than their awful record last year. They should be better coached and better at QB. This is at least an 8 win team.

I agree KC may be a surprise team, but remember last year you said strength of schedule didn't matter, they have to play the games you never bought that weak schedule stuff,  remember?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
Context my friend, context.

You play who you play. In regards to what I said about the Chiefs, especially from a monetary standpoint, who you play matters.

In divisions, there's only two games that differ from the rest of the teams in that division. That was the heart of my Bears record (being what it was) argument. As it turned out, Pack fans were right, the Bears were not up to snuff in the end.

For the record, I took the Pack (-140) to win the North this year.

feedback