[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 439687 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Bulaga most likely gone for the year. For what they were trying to accomplish in the offseason, that is a massive injury.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
Ouch, that does hurt.  Lot of major injuries this preseason.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
Effing Bulaga.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
Bulaga most likely gone for the year. For what they were trying to accomplish in the offseason, that is a massive injury.

That does hurt because they had planned on upgrading the line by switching positions. However, they will not be any worse than most of last year because Bulaga was out last year as well. The concern is that they sucked last year especially at pass protection.

The rookie is supposedly looking good, and they may get Sherrod back to at least give them a little depth if not challenge for the left or right tackle position, Newhouse has a year of starting under his belt so he should be better. Not much of a bright side, but it is something.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
The most difficult part of the injury is the unintended future consequences. My guess is Newhouse goes back to LT and Bakhitari plays RT. Who knows when Sherrod comes back. Issue is someone else on the o line will get banged up eventually, even if it's just for a couple of series in Week 4. Now you're playing the juggling game, and have guys playing out of position potentially. It also probably forces the Pack to carry an extra o-lineman on their roster now.

Sucks to see guys going down for the season even before the first preseason game.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
I'm looking for the Bears to win 11 games this year.  Major upgrades on the offensive line, paired with an offensive guru like Trestman will translate into at least one more win than last year.  The defense is aging, but will still be effective.  Losing Urlacher will really hurt from a leadership standpoint, but he was a shell of himself last year.  The new guy filling in for him, DJ Williams very well may be a better player at this point in his career than a 36 year old Urlacher.  The Cutler to Marshall tandem will be lethal, and they finally got a tight end who can actually catch the ball.  Forte will be solid again, and Alshon Jeffery should be able to compliment Marshall nicely in the passing game.  Go Bears

Agree on all accounts, except that I think 11 wins will be very tough for this team.  Our schedule was a lot easier last year, especially through the first have of the season.  There are a lot of tough away games for the Bears this year, plus 4 primetime games in which the Bears haven't fared too well with the last few seasons.  

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt, I predict 10 wins.  I hope I'm wrong!  If they can win one or two of the tough games and take care of business on the rest, this team will make the playoffs.

1 - vs Bengals - Win
2 -  vsVikings - Win
3 - @ Steelers (SNF) - Lose
4 - @ Lions - Win
5 -  vs Saints - Win
6 - vs Giants (TNF) - Lose
7 - @ Redskins - Lose
8 - BYE
9 - @ Packers (MNF) - Lose
10 - vs Lions - Win
11 - vs Ravens - Lose
12 - @ Rams - Win
13 - @ Vikings - Win
14 - vs Cowboys (MNF) - Lose
15 - @ Browns - Win
16 - @ Eagles - Win
17 - vs Packers - Win

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Agree on all accounts, except that I think 11 wins will be very tough for this team.  Our schedule was a lot easier last year, especially through the first have of the season.  There are a lot of tough away games for the Bears this year, plus 4 primetime games in which the Bears haven't fared too well with the last few seasons.  

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt, I predict 10 wins.  I hope I'm wrong!  If they can win one or two of the tough games and take care of business on the rest, this team will make the playoffs.

1 - vs Bengals - Win
2 -  vsVikings - Win
3 - @ Steelers (SNF) - Lose
4 - @ Lions - Win
5 -  vs Saints - Win
6 - vs Giants (TNF) - Lose
7 - @ Redskins - Lose
8 - BYE
9 - @ Packers (MNF) - Lose
10 - vs Lions - Win
11 - vs Ravens - Lose
12 - @ Rams - Win
13 - @ Vikings - Win
14 - vs Cowboys (MNF) - Lose
15 - @ Browns - Win
16 - @ Eagles - Win
17 - vs Packers - Win

5-1 in the division is tough.

Not sure they will beat MN and/or Detroit on the road.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »
I'm looking for the Bears to win 11 games this year.  Major upgrades on the offensive line, paired with an offensive guru like Trestman will translate into at least one more win than last year.  The defense is aging, but will still be effective.  Losing Urlacher will really hurt from a leadership standpoint, but he was a shell of himself last year.  The new guy filling in for him, DJ Williams very well may be a better player at this point in his career than a 36 year old Urlacher.  The Cutler to Marshall tandem will be lethal, and they finally got a tight end who can actually catch the ball.  Forte will be solid again, and Alshon Jeffery should be able to compliment Marshall nicely in the passing game.  Go Bears

I do not see that. They will be or should be better on offense, but there will be a learning curve with the new system and coaching staff. They will be better in the second half of the season, but may struggle in the first half. The defense will not be any better and they showed some age in the second half of last season. It will be tough to duplicate all those turnovers they had in the first half of last season. I see 9-7 maybe 10-6 if everything falls right for them .

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:19:39 PM by hairyworthen »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how Detroit can be worse than last year.  (Yeah I know...they're the Lions.)  And while I think Minnesota might take a step back, they are going to still be dangerous.  I think the Packers are the best team in the division and I don't think they go 5-1.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
I think if the Maclin, Pitta, Bulaga injuries have taught us anything, maybe wait a couple of weeks on predictions. Not that anyone of those players being gone dramatically makes those teams much better/worse, but still too early to make educated predictions.

On that note, there is no way the Bears go through this division 5-1.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »

Spoken like a true Bears fan.  A setback, not a catastrophe.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

Spoken like a true Bears fan.  A setback, not a catastrophe.

Huh? Did you pay any attention to what they did in the offseason? They're entire offensive scheme was built around shuffling the offensive line. That's a massive injury in terms of their planning, it's 100% ignorant to think otherwise.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
It's bad because the options are going back to Newhouse...who was pretty bad last year...or going with Bakhtiari who might be fine but he's a rookie.  No real good options right now.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Huh? Did you pay any attention to what they did in the offseason? They're entire offensive scheme was built around shuffling the offensive line. That's a massive injury in terms of their planning, it's 100% ignorant to think otherwise.

I am totally aware of their plan to reshuffle the O-line and imo they will follow through on that plan with the personnel they have.  It is a setback but not a catastrophe.  You remember that they played w/o Bulaga the last half of the season, right?  Are you sure it's a full 100% ignorant?  Might it be only 50% or less ignorant?  Maybe 25% ignorant?  The arrogance of some Bears fans!  IN any event, they'll have plenty to kick your a$$.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
It's bad because the options are going back to Newhouse...who was pretty bad last year...or going with Bakhtiari who might be fine but he's a rookie.  No real good options right now.
No.  He is not a rookie.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »
Bakhtiari is a rookie.  Drafted in the 4th round this year.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
Bakhtiari is a rookie.  Drafted in the 4th round this year.
my bad.  i stand corrected and thanks for the catch.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »

I am totally aware of their plan to reshuffle the O-line and imo they will follow through on that plan with the personnel they have.  It is a setback but not a catastrophe.  You remember that they played w/o Bulaga the last half of the season, right?  Are you sure it's a full 100% ignorant?  Might it be only 50% or less ignorant?  Maybe 25% ignorant?  The arrogance of some Bears fans!  IN any event, they'll have plenty to kick your a$$.

Yup, Bulaga missed 9 games last year. Which is part of the reason they went ahead and reshuffled the offensive line. Bulaga is/was the key piece they were moving. You're completely misunderstanding my take, which if you read my other posts, you'd figure out. I could go Bernstein on you with the "your", but I'm tired, so I won't.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »

You sound like an idiot.

MUDish is entirely spot on, as he usually is with the NFL.

It's much more than a setback, as the offensive line plan is completely altered. Any team losing an OL is a significant loss, quality linemen aren't available off the back of a truck.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »

I am totally aware of their plan to reshuffle the O-line and imo they will follow through on that plan with the personnel they have.  It is a setback but not a catastrophe.  You remember that they played w/o Bulaga the last half of the season, right? 

Yeah...and that didn't work out too well.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »

Its a huge injury no doubt, but not catastrophic. The main thing is they still have quite a bit of time to figure it out. Had they stuck all training camp into the reshuffle and then had Bulaga go down a week before the opener, then it would be a problem. Still they are no worse than last year and probably a little better with a better running game.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »

They didn't lose to san fran in the playoff game because of poor o line play that is for damn sure. All you have to do is look at the number of yards they gave up. They scored enough points to win that game if the defense shows up even a little.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
Its a huge injury no doubt, but not catastrophic. The main thing is they still have quite a bit of time to figure it out. Had they stuck all training camp into the reshuffle and then had Bulaga go down a week before the opener, then it would be a problem. Still they are no worse than last year and probably a little better with a better running game.

I don't disagree with any of this. My main point was for in terms of their offseason agenda, losing Bulaga really kills what they were set out to accomplish.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
I don't disagree with any of this. My main point was for in terms of their offseason agenda, losing Bulaga really kills what they were set out to accomplish.

Absolutely, that was the big focus all off season, and in one play it is all shot to hell.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »

Good enough to make a run in the post season.