collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Reunion Weekend  (Read 10050 times)

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
Re: Reunion Weekend
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
The reunions are put on by The Department of Advancement.  That should let you know why they hold reunions, and I don't mean that in a cynical way.

I don't know what exactly you were hoping to find out about MU at the reunion, but I know that they have campus tours (including a really cool one of the Al McGuire center) and many places have open houses.  They also post the names online of everyone who has confirmed their attendance ahead of time, so it's a good place to see if you know anyone who is going. However, I understand that they always get tons of people who show up without RSVPing.

I guess they offered the same things a couple years ago, and I may have simply decided to forgo?  Makes sense though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
I am conflicted.  I was at my 25th a couple years ago.  It was a good time, but it was a good time because I got to see a bunch of people that I hadn't connected with in awhile.  But I could have done that at a park in Tosa.  Yeah, I was on the Marquette campus, but outside of that I'm not sure what Marquette actually did.  I mean, I know they did all the event logistics and the like, but I came away from the event knowing nothing more about my alma mater than I did the day before.

In other words, it felt kind of half-assed.  That Marquette does it because holding reunions is something that you just have to do.  Does that make sense?

I really felt bad for the people who showed up and didn't know anyone else.  You try to include them in conversations, but you find outside of grad year, you really don't have much in common or know anything about them.

I went to my 20yr two years ago with the family.  I had a great time.  I connected with some friends beforehand who still live in the greater Milawaukee area and/or Wisconsin & Illinois and they were questioning whether or not to attend or not.  When I stated that I was going they all said that if I'm in they would make sure to attend and they did.     

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I think MU does a pretty good job with reunions .. but..

MU's alumni base just doesn't turn out for reunions, which makes the math not work well.

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Your graduating class was about 1700 people, so you basically only knew 100/1700 = 6% of your class.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
You nailed it, Hilltopper.   I had as many friends from '89 as I had from '88.    And I checked the list of '88 attendees and recognized 3 names.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
You know they have these things called emails now where you can start an email chain with your friends asking if they are going to attend, where they're staying, if they have an plans, etc. They work quite nicely
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

MU's alumni base just doesn't turn out for reunions, which makes the math not work well.

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Your graduating class was about 1700 people, so you basically only knew 100/1700 = 6% of your class.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

I wasn't looking for ~10 people, I was there to chat up the others. Honestly, I think this is the reason the reunion was great. Especially as a 5 year reunion, it was a chance to "re-meet" people you remembered from MU but never talk to anymore. The faces were familiar, and after a few beers it was like making new friends all over again.  It wasn't to just to hang out with my best friends, who I still keep up with anyway. Obviously, I didn't go alone, me and 3 other guys went, but I think the best part was catching up with the people you weren't even that close to in college and don't talk to anymore. Also a great chance to talk to some alum from the classes of 78, 83, 88, 93, 98 etc. which I definitely did. Great networking opportunity there too.

Also, the class of '08 had maybe 150 people show up to their party Friday night at the Annex. While that probably amounts to a relatively small percentage of the class, it was plenty for it to not be awkward and meet people after greasing up with a few beers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:01:20 PM by Bleuteaux »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

That is pretty much the case everywhere these days.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
I went with my wife (it was our 30th).  We got in a little early so we could go to Chicago and see a Wednesday night White Sox game game with a couple buddies (I collect ballparks and rarely go anywhere without trying to squeeze in a game at a park I haven't been to before).  First Marquette reunion I've attended and we had a blast, including the cracker toss at Real Chili and the resultant foul stomach the next morning.  Saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in 30 years, the Engineering building tour was great (they've come a long way from throwing eggs out of 4th story windows) and imbibed more in four days than I have in the past year and a half.  I learned that I cannot keep pace with those who've stayed in the area.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I went with my wife (it was our 30th).  We got in a little early so we could go to Chicago and see a Wednesday night White Sox game game with a couple buddies (I collect ballparks and rarely go anywhere without trying to squeeze in a game at a park I haven't been to before).  First Marquette reunion I've attended and we had a blast, including the cracker toss at Real Chili and the resultant foul stomach the next morning.  Saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in 30 years, the Engineering building tour was great (they've come a long way from throwing eggs out of 4th story windows) and imbibed more in four days than I have in the past year and a half.  I learned that I cannot keep pace with those who've stayed in the area.

Class of '83 had over 300 attendees.  Largest of any class. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Class of '83 had over 300 attendees.  Largest of any class. 

lots of transfers of the Syph too, from what I hear.