collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Reunion Weekend  (Read 10049 times)

Coleman

• All American
Reunion Weekend
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
Had a great time. Was anyone else there?

The oyster crackers were flying at real chili. The ladies behind the counter were pulling out their hair...

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Reunion Weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »
I missed it this year (30th). 

Was looking forward to having a cracker fight with jsglow and WC at 2:30 in the morning.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
We had a wonderful weekend reconnecting.  Spirit Shop did a great sweatshirt business on Saturday.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Showed the kids at Ardmore -er, Caffrey's how it is done.

I was quite entertained by the Class of '08er who tried to talk one of my gal pals from '83 into going back to his room at Mashuda.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:16:35 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
Showed the kids at Ardmore -er. Caffrey's how it is done.

I was quite entertained by class of '08er who tried to talk one of my gal pals from '83 into going back to his room at Mashuda.

That was MUScoop poster TheDeaneTeam. Contact him here if interested http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=574

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
Showed the kids at Ardmore -er, Caffrey's how it is done.

I was quite entertained by the Class of '08er who tried to talk one of my gal pals from '83 into going back to his room at Mashuda.

It was a reunion, hey? Maybe he wanted a study buddy. Did the broad go?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »

It was a reunion, hey? Maybe he wanted a study buddy. Did the broad go?

No.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
'08er here (not THAT '08er you mentioned, I made no such proposal).

But I was sitting next to two nice ladies from the class of 83 at real chili on Saturday night, and engaged in cracker warfare at those sitting across the bar with them. One was a blonde, one was a brunette. Very nice people. We also angered a current female student when we started pelting her with crackers. I'm not sure why, but she obviously deserved it.  

That wasn't you two, was it?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:11:28 AM by Bleuteaux »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »

But I was sitting next to two nice ladies from the class of 83 at real chili on Saturday night, and engaged in cracker warfare at those sitting across the bar with them. One was a blonde, one was a brunette. Very nice people. We also angered a current female student when we started pelting her with crackers. I'm not sure why, but she obviously deserved it.  

I did not make it to Real Chili on Saturday night, so no.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
Wish I could have made my 25 year this past weekend.    Too many other familial activities popped up.    Ah, well, perhaps I will make it for 30. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »

We've been told that Alumni Weekend is particularly rowdy in Real Chili as we all relive past cracker throwing glory.  So very baaaad.

Caffrey's was fun.  I had a great conversation with some of the Superfan guys we had gotten to know down in Lexington.  Their comment... 'It must have been wild here when the drinking age was 18.  You guys are awesome!'

I reminded him that the dents in the McCormick elevator doors weren't from suitcases.  Funny how we still managed to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers and college administrators.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
I missed it this year (30th). 

Was looking forward to having a cracker fight with jsglow and WC at 2:30 in the morning.

Sadly, by 'starting' at 6p on Friday and then again at 1p on Saturday afternoon, 2:30a just never seemed to happen.  ?-( 

Oh, I think I had to get out of bed to pee again about that time.  Getting old sucks. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »

We've been told that Alumni Weekend is particularly rowdy in Real Chili as we all relive past cracker throwing glory.  So very baaaad.

Caffrey's was fun.  I had a great conversation with some of the Superfan guys we had gotten to know down in Lexington.  Their comment... 'It must have been wild here when the drinking age was 18.  You guys are awesome!'

I reminded him that the dents in the McCormick elevator doors weren't from suitcases.  Funny how we still managed to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers and college administrators.

One of the ladies actually tried to throw someone out for throwing too many crackers. That obviously didn't happen. They tried to walk a middle line of allowing people to only throw "one cracker at a time." Thinking about it now while sober, this is pretty funny.

I had a long conversation at Caffrey's with a lawyer from the class of 78. It's definitely a nice opportunity to chat up some of the older alum.

When I lived in McCormick, the drinking age may not have been 18, but that sure doesn't mean we didn't drink!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:45:21 PM by Bleuteaux »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
That was MUScoop poster TheDeaneTeam. Contact him here if interested http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=574

Lies! Lies! Lies!

j_mauck3

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
Wish I could have made it for my 10 year this year. Ended up stuck working all weekend. Looks like it was a good time. I hope everyone there had fun.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Lies! Lies! Lies!

So which of my classmates were you "chasing"?  ;)

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
Nice to see the cracker-throwing-tradition still lives on. There's always a few duds crying because they were pelted by a handful of freshly baked oyster crackers. Bunch a B*ITCHES if you ask me.

I plan to display my cracker throwing skills during labor day wknd (harley fest). You've been warned.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
We were on campus on Friday doing the "official" prospective student tour for my kids.  We crossed paths with a couple reunion groups taking tours, and encountered fun-loving returning alum all over town.  The most boisterous group was at the Miller Time bar at the Hilton (after Germanfest), who spotted my MU shirt and was yelling at me to join them across the room.  Of course I did.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »

We've been told that Alumni Weekend is particularly rowdy in Real Chili as we all relive past cracker throwing glory.  So very baaaad.

I reminded him that the dents in the McCormick elevator doors weren't from suitcases.  Funny how we still managed to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers and college administrators.
Part of the fun of cracker wars was hiding what you were doing.  Those of you who came to MU after Blondie left missed all the fun.  Blondie threatened to throw you out if she caught you throwing crackers, and if she caught you, SHE DID THROW YOU OUT.  And you left shamefaced.  That's the way it was and we liked it!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
I was kicked out and banned from RC.  Not from crackers, but from sliding my empty bowl away from me, very contentedly, only the have the mofo-in thing slide right on to the floor and break.

You could call me the CBB/Warthog of RC.   ;D

Classof83

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
Reunions have been on the decline since facebook and other social media make it so easy to reconnect with former classmates, but it is just not the same as walking into RC and expecting to hear Blondie say: "Mix it up boys, mix it up..."  The lady worked for thirty five cent tips and yet made more of an impression than half my professors.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
By the time I got to MU, the only person you could consistently expect to see at RC @ 2:00 am was Dan Fitzgerald.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
I was kicked out and banned from RC.  Not from crackers, but from sliding my empty bowl away from me, very contentedly, only the have the mofo-in thing slide right on to the floor and break.

Dude, this description sounds like you made love to it right there on the counter. No wonder they banned you. You light up a cigarette too and do a low toned hum? 

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
I am conflicted.  I was at my 25th a couple years ago.  It was a good time, but it was a good time because I got to see a bunch of people that I hadn't connected with in awhile.  But I could have done that at a park in Tosa.  Yeah, I was on the Marquette campus, but outside of that I'm not sure what Marquette actually did.  I mean, I know they did all the event logistics and the like, but I came away from the event knowing nothing more about my alma mater than I did the day before.

In other words, it felt kind of half-assed.  That Marquette does it because holding reunions is something that you just have to do.  Does that make sense?

I really felt bad for the people who showed up and didn't know anyone else.  You try to include them in conversations, but you find outside of grad year, you really don't have much in common or know anything about them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
I am conflicted.  I was at my 25th a couple years ago.  It was a good time, but it was a good time because I got to see a bunch of people that I hadn't connected with in awhile.  But I could have done that at a park in Tosa.  Yeah, I was on the Marquette campus, but outside of that I'm not sure what Marquette actually did.  I mean, I know they did all the event logistics and the like, but I came away from the event knowing nothing more about my alma mater than I did the day before.

In other words, it felt kind of half-assed.  That Marquette does it because holding reunions is something that you just have to do.  Does that make sense?

I really felt bad for the people who showed up and didn't know anyone else.  You try to include them in conversations, but you find outside of grad year, you really don't have much in common or know anything about them.

The reunions are put on by The Department of Advancement.  That should let you know why they hold reunions, and I don't mean that in a cynical way.

I don't know what exactly you were hoping to find out about MU at the reunion, but I know that they have campus tours (including a really cool one of the Al McGuire center) and many places have open houses.  They also post the names online of everyone who has confirmed their attendance ahead of time, so it's a good place to see if you know anyone who is going. However, I understand that they always get tons of people who show up without RSVPing.
Have some patience, FFS.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
The reunions are put on by The Department of Advancement.  That should let you know why they hold reunions, and I don't mean that in a cynical way.

I don't know what exactly you were hoping to find out about MU at the reunion, but I know that they have campus tours (including a really cool one of the Al McGuire center) and many places have open houses.  They also post the names online of everyone who has confirmed their attendance ahead of time, so it's a good place to see if you know anyone who is going. However, I understand that they always get tons of people who show up without RSVPing.

I guess they offered the same things a couple years ago, and I may have simply decided to forgo?  Makes sense though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »

I went to my 20yr two years ago with the family.  I had a great time.  I connected with some friends beforehand who still live in the greater Milawaukee area and/or Wisconsin & Illinois and they were questioning whether or not to attend or not.  When I stated that I was going they all said that if I'm in they would make sure to attend and they did.     

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I think MU does a pretty good job with reunions .. but..

MU's alumni base just doesn't turn out for reunions, which makes the math not work well.

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Your graduating class was about 1700 people, so you basically only knew 100/1700 = 6% of your class.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
You nailed it, Hilltopper.   I had as many friends from '89 as I had from '88.    And I checked the list of '88 attendees and recognized 3 names.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
You know they have these things called emails now where you can start an email chain with your friends asking if they are going to attend, where they're staying, if they have an plans, etc. They work quite nicely
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

MU's alumni base just doesn't turn out for reunions, which makes the math not work well.

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Your graduating class was about 1700 people, so you basically only knew 100/1700 = 6% of your class.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

I wasn't looking for ~10 people, I was there to chat up the others. Honestly, I think this is the reason the reunion was great. Especially as a 5 year reunion, it was a chance to "re-meet" people you remembered from MU but never talk to anymore. The faces were familiar, and after a few beers it was like making new friends all over again.  It wasn't to just to hang out with my best friends, who I still keep up with anyway. Obviously, I didn't go alone, me and 3 other guys went, but I think the best part was catching up with the people you weren't even that close to in college and don't talk to anymore. Also a great chance to talk to some alum from the classes of 78, 83, 88, 93, 98 etc. which I definitely did. Great networking opportunity there too.

Also, the class of '08 had maybe 150 people show up to their party Friday night at the Annex. While that probably amounts to a relatively small percentage of the class, it was plenty for it to not be awkward and meet people after greasing up with a few beers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:01:20 PM by Bleuteaux »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »

When you went to MU, let's say you had 100 friends.  Sure, you knew 200 people, but not very well.  And at least 1/3rd of that universe were a year older/younger and aren't invited.

Then only 250 of your class shows up for a reunion, so 6% = 15 people you *might* remember.  5 of those people you had dinner with last month .. so you're looking for ~10 people.

That is pretty much the case everywhere these days.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
I went with my wife (it was our 30th).  We got in a little early so we could go to Chicago and see a Wednesday night White Sox game game with a couple buddies (I collect ballparks and rarely go anywhere without trying to squeeze in a game at a park I haven't been to before).  First Marquette reunion I've attended and we had a blast, including the cracker toss at Real Chili and the resultant foul stomach the next morning.  Saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in 30 years, the Engineering building tour was great (they've come a long way from throwing eggs out of 4th story windows) and imbibed more in four days than I have in the past year and a half.  I learned that I cannot keep pace with those who've stayed in the area.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I went with my wife (it was our 30th).  We got in a little early so we could go to Chicago and see a Wednesday night White Sox game game with a couple buddies (I collect ballparks and rarely go anywhere without trying to squeeze in a game at a park I haven't been to before).  First Marquette reunion I've attended and we had a blast, including the cracker toss at Real Chili and the resultant foul stomach the next morning.  Saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in 30 years, the Engineering building tour was great (they've come a long way from throwing eggs out of 4th story windows) and imbibed more in four days than I have in the past year and a half.  I learned that I cannot keep pace with those who've stayed in the area.

Class of '83 had over 300 attendees.  Largest of any class. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Class of '83 had over 300 attendees.  Largest of any class. 

lots of transfers of the Syph too, from what I hear.

feedback