'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pro-Am  (Read 28105 times)

JD

• All American
Re: Pro-Am
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
Might be a dumb question, and sorry if it is in advance.

Is MU in on Trae Jefferson at all?  That kid is unreal!  Reminds me of A.I
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

mwballers

• Walk-On
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
I havent heard anything about MU having any interest in Jefferson. And yes, he is in fact unreal!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
Trae Jefferson

Parents went with Trae rather than Thomas? A poetic moment turned prosaic.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
Parents went with Trae rather than Thomas? A poetic moment turned prosaic.

So...deliberately trying to be a judgmental ass?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
Might be a dumb question, and sorry if it is in advance.

Is MU in on Trae Jefferson at all?  That kid is unreal!  Reminds me of A.I

Not that I know of; I believe Damontrae reclassed to 2015... he's extremely entertaining to watch. Won't back down from anyone.

Transferred to Arlington Country Day (Fla.) before last school year. Great basketball program... he's a bit too creative at times.. but for the last couple of years has been one my favorites to watch.

I think* at this point in time the one Big East school that's shown a fair amount of interest is Seton Hall.

Looking forward to seeing him and Kevon in Vegas this week.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
So did the Pro-Am continue on this weekend?  Surprised there have been no posts regarding action from the weekend and this out of towner is looking for a bit of MU basketball talk. 

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
So did the Pro-Am continue on this weekend?  Surprised there have been no posts regarding action from the weekend and this out of towner is looking for a bit of MU basketball talk. 

Yes it did.  JP Tokoto even played.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
Attended part of yesterday's pro-am. Wanted to see Johnson and McKay, but neither showed up.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »

Yes it did.  JP Tokoto even played.

JP Tokoto is in a few of these clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kk_3CIpNuM

I can't get enough of Burton's signature reverse sledgehammer.

I wasn't fond of the Paint Touches guys calling him Bane and all that...but yeah...it's grown on me, and he's the guy I've been most excited to see in this upcoming class.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
JP Tokoto is in a few of these clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kk_3CIpNuM

I can't get enough of Burton's signature reverse sledgehammer.

I wasn't fond of the Paint Touches guys calling him Bane and all that...but yeah...it's grown on me, and he's the guy I've been most excited to see in this upcoming class.
Burton is very very left-handed.  Going to have to work on that right hand.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
I went Friday. It was the first time I have seen JP Tokoto play. He was the best player on the floor. I liked how Burton wanted to challenge him offensively. To be honest Burton could not stop Tokoto, but on the flip side Tokoto could not stop Burton.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
D. Wilson Jr. behind the back bounce pass to JP Tokoto for the alley-opp dunk was priceless!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
D. Wilson Jr. behind the back bounce pass to JP Tokoto for the alley-opp dunk was priceless!

Yup...it was phenomenal! Never saw something like that. I'll add that it was from about 20 feet out. JP can sky!

Boone

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
I'll 2nd that. You'll never see it attempted in a real game, but that was really cool.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2013, 05:29:02 AM »
There will always be a pace for you on the roster if you ver decide to come back home, JP!

;)
SS Marquette

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »
The first thing I noticed about Burton was that he had both of his legs wrapped (I suppose there is a better term for this) and it seemed like his legs were bothering him. He started kind of slow and then went out and did a lot of stretching. At that point I wondered if he could play a whole season. However, when he came back in after stretching whatever seemed to bother him was no longer apparent and he became very actice. The second thing I noticed about him was his hands. He has great hands like Gardner.  Hands that means a rebound is his if he gets his hands on it and if you pass him the ball and he will catch it. Hands is something you cannot coach. The last thing that became apparent to me was his two guard skills. In the second half he pushed the ball up court a couple of times and then he buried three straight threes. He appeared to be ready to go for a fourth straight three when he got fouled before he went into shooting motion. He easily gets a foot above the rim on some of his dunks. Unless he is absolutely horrible on defense he is going to play a lot this year.

He will always have issues with his legs and feet and finding the right weight to be at to me. He is a cat who might struggle with boot camp. We'll see. But he is a specimen...a big time college and NBA body right now.

But has to learn to diversify his game going right and using that right hand although he is strong enough to go left any time he wants.

Might struggle with college pace and with stamina at first. I hope this kid is not injury prone. Seems to be to me...with his body type.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »
He will always have issues with his legs and feet and finding the right weight to be at to me. He is a cat who might struggle with boot camp. We'll see. But he is a specimen...a big time college and NBA body right now.

But has to learn to diversify his game going right and using that right hand although he is strong enough to go left any time he wants.

Might struggle with college pace and with stamina at first. I hope this kid is not injury prone. Seems to be to me...with his body type.

What about Burton makes you think he's injury prone? Lots of guys wear the leggings bc Wade made them cool. Other than that the only other argument would be that he is built like a horse... Confusing to me
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
Burton was not wearing leggings on Friday. My first impression of him on Friday was that with three additional weeks with the trainer has made him really fit, but it really could have been the tight fitting shirt he was wearing  vs what he was wearing the first time. He does not have much fat, if any on him. He has an attacking mentality and wants to dominate the game. While being able to dominate in a pro am game does not mean much, I do know tht if you cannot dominate in pro am you will not play much for Buzz. You can tell a lot about a player in these games by the attitutude they play with.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:02:28 AM by bilsu »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
Can you see Burton starting at the 3 this year?  The opportunity is there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
Can you see Burton starting at the 3 this year?  The opportunity is there.

For the 2-4 "switchable" positions, we have 8 guys competing for three starting spots: J Wilson, McKay, JJJ, Taylor, Mayo, Anderson, Burton, and Thomas. It's going to be hard for a freshmen, who Buzz has always shied away from starting, to break into the starting role.

Personally, I think J Wilson will get the most time at the three, with McKay taking most of the time at the four.

I think Burton's best chance for starting is beating out JJJ, Anderson, and Mayo at the two. I have lofty expectations for both JJJ and Anderson, so I think Burton is a rotation player this year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
What about Burton makes you think he's injury prone? Lots of guys wear the leggings bc Wade made them cool. Other than that the only other argument would be that he is built like a horse... Confusing to me

I agree. Hung like a horse would be better.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
For the 2-4 "switchable" positions, we have 8 guys competing for three starting spots: J Wilson, McKay, JJJ, Taylor, Mayo, Anderson, Burton, and Thomas. It's going to be hard for a freshmen, who Buzz has always shied away from starting, to break into the starting role.

Personally, I think J Wilson will get the most time at the three, with McKay taking most of the time at the four.

I think Burton's best chance for starting is beating out JJJ, Anderson, and Mayo at the two. I have lofty expectations for both JJJ and Anderson, so I think Burton is a rotation player this year.
I am less impressed with McKay than I was after the first pro am game. I love his height and quickness, but he does not dominate in Pro Am. It is hard to say who Buzz will start as it is not necessarily the best player. However, I think Buzz is big on players that put out effort all the time and that fits Burton. Whether he starts or not I believe he will score more points this year than any other newcomer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

I agree. Hung like a horse would be better.

Your old lady telling stories about me again.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »
There will always be a pace for you on the roster if you ver decide to come back home, JP!

;)

Always?........not so sure about that.