[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pro-Am  (Read 27824 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Pro-Am
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »
Have the teams been picked?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Pro-Am
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
I don't even know if it's happening this year. Last year most of the MU players had stopped showing up by the end of the tourney.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
Yes, it is happening, and no, the MU players did not "stop showing up" last year. When you look at last year, MU was 2 short on scholarships, Juan and Chris were hurt and Todd was gone for the summer. That brought it down to 8 available guys. Some missed games due to camps or charity events (one weekend Junior and Vander participated in a charity event in Toronto).

It was just an odd summer.

This summer all of MU's scholarship players are registered with the exception of Steve Taylor (knee).
Former MU players Wes Matthews, Joe Chapman, Maurice Acker, Dan Fitzgerald, Scott Merritt, Chris Grimm and Tommy Brice have committed to play. (some are pulling double duty and will play when in town).

It should be a great league this year as there is talent on every team.

I am trying to finalize the rosters, but it gets tough with last minute requests from guys that want to play with a college or high school teammates etc.

I should have all of the rosters out later today and will post as soon as I do.

Games start this Friday at Greenfield High School. Games run Friday nights and Saturday mid-days through the first weekend in August with the final tourney at The AL on August 4th.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
any other "names" from other schools of interest???

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
I thought I saw a tweet over the weekend that Steve Novak was playing, is he?
Bring back FFP!!!

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
I have not heard from Novak. We are now sanctioned by the NBA, which is a new requirement from the collective bargaining agreement, so the road is clear, just need the new Whitefish Bay resident to pull the trigger.

Bman

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »
I went to the final day of the pro-am last year. My kids met and took pictures with Jamil Wilson, Derrick Wilson, Junior Cadougan, Juan Anderson (didn't play due to shoulder but was there), Jake Thomas and Garrett Swanson. MU players were there. It was a great experience for my family.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16:57 AM »
A pro am that starts this Friday and still has an "updated webpage coming soon" is pretty pathetic?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
A pro am that starts this Friday and still has an "updated webpage coming soon" is pretty pathetic?

IWB gave a pretty exhaustive reasoning why there are last minute changes, and he does this work pretty much on his own.  He gave you the schedule and the location.  What else do you need to know?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
What time is the first game on Friday?  I'd like to attend.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
Jim, thank you for all of your hard work on the pro-am.   I know what a monumental undertaking the logistics of the whole thing are.   And I know you certainly aren't getting rich from it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
What time is the first game on Friday?  I'd like to attend.
6:30

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
I live in Princeton, NJ and as the OP of this thread I am looking forward to your impressions of the new guys. To hear how these guys do over the summer is fun and really appreciate the feedback from those of you who can see them play. Simply put, I need my summer fix of MU BB.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

Start your own Pro-Am if you don't like it.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Anybody who complains about a pro am featuring Marquette players (present and past) that is free  to attend is pretty pathetic…..

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
Yes, it is happening, and no, the MU players did not "stop showing up" last year. When you look at last year, MU was 2 short on scholarships, Juan and Chris were hurt and Todd was gone for the summer. That brought it down to 8 available guys. Some missed games due to camps or charity events (one weekend Junior and Vander participated in a charity event in Toronto).

It was just an odd summer.

This summer all of MU's scholarship players are registered with the exception of Steve Taylor (knee).
Former MU players Wes Matthews, Joe Chapman, Maurice Acker, Dan Fitzgerald, Scott Merritt, Chris Grimm and Tommy Brice have committed to play. (some are pulling double duty and will play when in town).

It should be a great league this year as there is talent on every team.

I am trying to finalize the rosters, but it gets tough with last minute requests from guys that want to play with a college or high school teammates etc.

I should have all of the rosters out later today and will post as soon as I do.

Games start this Friday at Greenfield High School. Games run Friday nights and Saturday mid-days through the first weekend in August with the final tourney at The AL on August 4th.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

A bunch of us will be in town the weekend of the 26th and 27th (reunion weekend).  Will the tournament be running through that weekend?

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
Anybody who complains about a pro am featuring Marquette players (present and past) that is free  to attend is pretty pathetic…..

This.

The couple times I've been able to go it was great.  Especially great for the MU hoops fix during the summer.  I'd have to imagine a lot of schools' fans would love to have a ProAm like this.  Keep up the great work, IWB.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
A bunch of us will be in town the weekend of the 26th and 27th (reunion weekend).  Will the tournament be running through that weekend?

I quote IWB... "Games start this Friday at Greenfield High School. Games run Friday nights and Saturday mid-days through the first weekend in August with the final tourney at The AL on August 4th."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

+1 - Ridiculous to criticze...love how many in life stand on the sidelines and criticize the hard work done by others, while they themselves do nothing.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »

Yes, I have been working hard on the website every day. Here is what you have to understand - We have 80 guys in the league. About 60 of those filled out their registrations in the past 3-4 days.

Once the registrations are in........ This part is a lot of fun for me..... because many of the players registered without listing a school,  we now have to research the ones that didn't. School-wise - are they NCAA eligible? Are they still in school? Are they done with school? If they listed a Juco are they done playing because we can't have Jucos? Do we need their AD's permission form? Ok, all is understood, schools are set.

We now need to do our best at splitting up the rosters. Oh but wait, many of the registrations don't have a size listed. So now we have to research all of these guys to find out what size they are or we will end up with unbalanced teams. (no bigs, all guards etc).

The new website is now in place, and the rosters are set....  but it is an entire system uses rosters, scheduling and individual player listings. I need to fill all of that in. Since most registrations didn't come through until this past weekend (typical) I am behind.

I do now have all of the rosters and players set in the new system, and am now going through scheduling. It is a major pain in the ass - a lot of work, but I do not want to point to the new website until it is done.

So my apologies for taking so long, perhaps next year you can get the players to get off the couch and register a few months sooner so that you can have the site up and ready to go long before the games start.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
IWB, thanks for all your hard work in putting together what has become a great summer tradition for so many of us Marquette fans.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
Yes, I have been working hard on the website every day. Here is what you have to understand - We have 80 guys in the league. About 60 of those filled out their registrations in the past 3-4 days.

Once the registrations are in........ This part is a lot of fun for me..... because many of the players registered without listing a school,  we now have to research the ones that didn't. School-wise - are they NCAA eligible? Are they still in school? Are they done with school? If they listed a Juco are they done playing because we can't have Jucos? Do we need their AD's permission form? Ok, all is understood, schools are set.

We now need to do our best at splitting up the rosters. Oh but wait, many of the registrations don't have a size listed. So now we have to research all of these guys to find out what size they are or we will end up with unbalanced teams. (no bigs, all guards etc).

The new website is now in place, and the rosters are set....  but it is an entire system uses rosters, scheduling and individual player listings. I need to fill all of that in. Since most registrations didn't come through until this past weekend (typical) I am behind.

I do now have all of the rosters and players set in the new system, and am now going through scheduling. It is a major pain in the ass - a lot of work, but I do not want to point to the new website until it is done.

So my apologies for taking so long, perhaps next year you can get the players to get off the couch and register a few months sooner so that you can have the site up and ready to go long before the games start.

"When's the ProAm again?"  --Big SHEESH, July 19, 2013.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
Did the rosters come out for this? I saw the players tweeting about it.
Bring back FFP!!!

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
To continue my rant, I have had no less than a dozen players contact me in the past 24 hours wanting to be on teams. Yep, registration has been open for almost two months, the league is full and they contact me with one day to go. Crappy part is, I would really like to have most of them as they are top tier Euro Pros.

To answer your question, I e-mailed the rosters to the players.

The new site is not ready yet, still have a bit of cleanup and design to go, but you can at least find the rosters and schedules here:  http://www.hoopfigures.com/0045

feedback