Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE Opener confirmed  (Read 9992 times)

MUfan12

• All American
BE Opener confirmed
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
In the Raftery press release, we had this tidbit-

"The Big East Conference schedule begins with a five-game, all-teams-featured New Year’s Eve marathon on Dec. 31 (St. John’s at Xavier, Noon ET; Seton Hall at Providence, 2:30 PM ET; DePaul at Georgetown, 5:00 PM ET; Villanova at Butler, 7:30 PM ET; and Marquette at Creighton, 10:00 PM ET)."

http://twitdoc.com/upload/rlrassociates/raftery.pdf

boyonthedock

Re: BE Opener confirmed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
/salivates

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »

"The Big East Conference schedule begins with a five-game, all-teams-featured New Year’s Eve marathon on Dec. 31 (St. John’s at Xavier, Noon ET; Seton Hall at Providence, 2:30 PM ET; DePaul at Georgetown, 5:00 PM ET; Villanova at Butler, 7:30 PM ET; and Marquette at Creighton, 10:00 PM ET)."

Nice to know what my NYE plans will be 6 months in advance

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »
I LOVE the Raff pick-up.  Huge.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »
I LOVE the Raff pick-up.  Huge.

+1  I totally agree.  This is the first that its been announced right?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
Good day of hoops.  Makes sense to have Creighton playing at home for that late TV timeslot although any Central Time team would have worked.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
Good day of hoops.  Makes sense to have Creighton playing at home for that late TV timeslot although any Central Time team would have worked.

Kinda think they're hoping that MU/Creighton can become a good central region rivalry that eventually plays well nationally too

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
Nice little package- really wanted to make it to omaha for the game this year, not gonna happen now though- the link should be poppin for that game though!! 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
FOX Sports 1 is slated to televise over 100 Big East men’s regular-season basketball games this coming season. The non-conference schedule begins Friday, Nov. 8, the likely date of the first Johnson-Raftery assignment.

Another quote from that Press Release. It's been rumored that the MU vs Ohio State game is supposed to be early November. Pure speculation, but that may be the Nov 8th game. Would certainly be a way to kick off the new Big East in style.... with Gus Johnson and Raftery.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
Great now I can not remember the game instead of struggling to get through it!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
Now all I'll have to do is convince friends and family to watch MU-Creighton instead of watching one of the zillion vapid NYE shows while waiting like zombies for the effen ball to fall.

Might have to go to a different room, which would be OK, too!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »
Now all I'll have to do is convince friends and family to watch MU-Creighton instead of watching one of the zillion vapid NYE shows while waiting like zombies for the effen ball to fall.

Might have to go to a different room, which would be OK, too!!

Excellent use of the word "vapid"!  :-)

Norm

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:56:09 PM »
Hmm, the three "new" schools - Butler, Xavier and Creighton - all open the BE season with home games. Hope they get sell-outs!

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »

Good lord, so much better than watching the ball drfop in Times Square!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
I like the 2.5 hour slot allotted for each game; minimizes the potential to miss the beginning of the following game. Always hated when a game would run over and miss the opening of an MU game on ESPN.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
I like the 2.5 hour slot allotted for each game; minimizes the potential to miss the beginning of the following game. Always hated when a game would run over and miss the opening of an MU game on ESPN.

Was about to come and say the exact same thing. Thanks Fox Sports for having an actual understanding for the correct amount of time a basketball game takes.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Hmm, the three "new" schools - Butler, Xavier and Creighton - all open the BE season with home games. Hope they get sell-outs!

Creighton is a perennial top-ten team (nationally) as far as attendance goes... their tickets are nearly as hot as Nebraska football tickets.
If Butler drew over 9,000 on Dec 29, 2012 vs. Evansville, I'm pretty sure they'll sell out Nova (Hinkle seats 10,000).
Xavier's average attendance is over 99% of their capacity.  St. John's isn't going to be a problem.

Let's not be unduly criticizing the new guys... they'll draw better than most of the existing BE teams.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
Creighton is a perennial top-ten team (nationally) as far as attendance goes... their tickets are nearly as hot as Nebraska football tickets.
If Butler drew over 9,000 on Dec 29, 2012 vs. Evansville, I'm pretty sure they'll sell out Nova (Hinkle seats 10,000).
Xavier's average attendance is over 99% of their capacity.  St. John's isn't going to be a problem.

Let's not be unduly criticizing the new guys... they'll draw better than most of the existing BE teams.
Didn't mean to imply criticism - just thought it interesting that they all drew home games for the first big BE day. And yes, Creighton's fanbase is great and quite loyal - one of the big reasons I wanted them included in the BE.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »
Looks like ill be ringing in the new year at the schoolyard tavern
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »
The nice thing about MU playing away in these openers is that I can watch all the games. Also, if they win at Creighton they will be the favorite to win the league.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
It's fun to finally see the line-up for opening day in the Big East.

Newborn + wife that's not a fan of NYE parties=MU viewing party of 3 that night. So choice. 

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »
This is excellent news. As an Omaha native and current resident it couldn't be better. The alumni club will certainly put something nice together. Finding tickets to this game will be tough. All my friends and family will be rooting for Creighton so I hope we win by 30.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »
Didnt everyone complain about playing a game on New Year's Day? Why is this better? Because it's against...Creighton?

The bowl games shuffle around so much that it is impossible for me to keep track of which bowls are played on certain dates. Will there be bowl games on NYE? If so, those day games will have awful ratings. Playing at night will probably be worse.

NYE is rookie night...and people start early. The only people watching tv will be the ones watching the NYC NYE Ball. Do they even still do that? Who replaced Dick Clarke?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
This is excellent news. As an Omaha native and current resident it couldn't be better. The alumni club will certainly put something nice together. Finding tickets to this game will be tough. All my friends and family will be rooting for Creighton so I hope we win by 30.

I spent a week in Omaha one night when we landed at Offutt...

Actually, I went to St Pius X school in Omaha. My fighter pilot father was getting his SAC ticket punched on his way to a star so we did six months in Hastings and six in Omaha. I have fond memories of NE.

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
Didnt everyone complain about playing a game on New Year's Day? Why is this better? Because it's against...Creighton?

The bowl games shuffle around so much that it is impossible for me to keep track of which bowls are played on certain dates. Will there be bowl games on NYE? If so, those day games will have awful ratings. Playing at night will probably be worse.

NYE is rookie night...and people start early. The only people watching tv will be the ones watching the NYC NYE Ball. Do they even still do that? Who replaced Dick Clarke?
By your comments you must not follow college football. The bowl changes will start in 2014. The Peach Bowl is in primetime on NYE and draws strong ratings. All bowls games beats college basketball ratings.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-bowl-schedule.php
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:43:06 AM by bradley center bat »