collapse

* Recent Posts

More conference realignment talk by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 10:42:37 AM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 10:09:47 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 08:32:42 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Heat/Spurs Game 6  (Read 25210 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Heat/Spurs Game 6
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. LeBron first pushed Green back with his left forearm, then elbowed him, and then Green stripped LeBron clean. Cannot for the life of me believe that LeBron was complaining about that call. It's unreal.

+1. Have to be drinking massive doses of Heat kool aid to think that was a foul on Green. LeBron shouldered Green, Green got all ball, LeBron lost the ball off himself. Obvious to everyone on the replay including the announcers.

Gionbilli late drive was a foul on Allen, but IMO it came after a travel.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »

Not to mention that Ginobili traveled....and the incredibly bogus offensive foul called on Lebron late in the fourth quarter. 

Parker does some amazing things. Gets into places you don't think are humanly possible. He hit two shots at the end of regulation that would have been legendary.

But his flair for the dramatic with regard to exaggeration of contact is more off putting to me than guys who plead to the officials for a foul call. It's clear deception that's a level above the normal embellishment that occurs across the entire league.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
I don't necessarily agree, but his is kinda funny...

http://youtu.be/dbHyUHNw5o4

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
Also for the record, Wade was a train wreck last night.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »

The story isn't the refs.  The story is how an experienced team with an experienced coach absolutely choked that game away.  Honestly, Tim Duncan needs to be on the floor in both of those 3 point situations.  How could you *not* have one of the best players in the league's history on the floor there? 

+1

Also, if the Spurs make their free throws they are champions today. The refs had zero to do with that.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
The worst call of the game hasn't been brought up yet...

It was Joey Crawford ripping the ball from Duncan's hands with 5 seconds left after the Allen 3.  Neither team had a timeout and Duncan was trying to inbound.  It would have been plenty of time for coast-coast or a foul called on way to the rim.  The Heat weren't setup or ready in the least for that inbound. 

Crawford wasn't the official near Allen's 3, and it wasn't even close to being a 2.  The look Crawford gave Duncan when he wrestled the ball away was, "you know this isn't fair, give them a chance to reset."  He would have been correct except you don't have that right when you don't have a timeout.  In the NBA playoffs, this situation rarely occurs (no endgame time-outs), so Crawford wasn't in his comfort zone.

Anyone saying the Spurs used that extra "timeout" are completely misguided... That's why Popovich was furious when this happened.  A Spurs inbounds against an unready Heat D is far more valuable than a Spurs set-play vs a ready Heat D.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
The worst call of the game hasn't been brought up yet...

It was Joey Crawford ripping the ball from Duncan's hands with 5 seconds left after the Allen 3.  Neither team had a timeout and Duncan was trying to inbound.  It would have been plenty of time for coast-coast or a foul called on way to the rim.  The Heat weren't setup or ready in the least for that inbound. 

Crawford wasn't the official near Allen's 3, and it wasn't even close to being a 2.  The look Crawford gave Duncan when he wrestled the ball away was, "you know this isn't fair, give them a chance to reset."  He would have been correct except you don't have that right when you don't have a timeout.  In the NBA playoffs, this situation rarely occurs (no endgame time-outs), so Crawford wasn't in his comfort zone.

Anyone saying the Spurs used that extra "timeout" are completely misguided... That's why Popovich was furious when this happened.  A Spurs inbounds against an unready Heat D is far more valuable than a Spurs set-play vs a ready Heat D.

Because Crawford knew they were going to review the Allen three point shot immediately.  I really didn't see anything wrong with that.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
Yeah. It was a liability of the system. You can't have it 100% correct and still not interrupt the game. Spurs got screwed due to the situation but you can't blame Crawford for reviewing that.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »

Because Crawford knew they were going to review the Allen three point shot immediately.  I really didn't see anything wrong with that.

Maybe my beef is with the NBA then.  I didn't realize they had to review every 3 at the end of a game.  I assumed an official had to trigger the second look.  In the replay, you see the official looking right at Ray's feet and it wasn't close... I guess he didn't have the confidence in himself to stick with his first call.  In doing so, he legitimately may have cost the Spurs a championship.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Yeah. It was a liability of the system. You can't have it 100% correct and still not interrupt the game. Spurs got screwed due to the situation but you can't blame Crawford for reviewing that.

Even though it's NBA protocol, there still is subjectivity in that.  The official still has to say, "we want to look at that again."  This wasn't a close call.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
The look Crawford gave Duncan when he wrestled the ball away was, "you know this isn't fair, give them a chance to reset." 

Please tell me your joking with this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
Please tell me your joking with this.

He must be because Duncan wasn't even in the game.  In fact, the Spurs were also apparently the beneficiary of an illegal substitution when they brought Duncan in during the review of the FT.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/19/4445280/nba-finals-2013-tim-duncan-illegal-play-spurs-heat

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
Even though it's NBA protocol, there still is subjectivity in that.  The official still has to say, "we want to look at that again."  This wasn't a close call.

They played it safe.  I really have no problem with that.  If you are going to have the review rule, you pretty much have to use it there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
As incredible as this game was, I can say with confidence that we'd all agree that it was, at best, only the second best comeback of this basketball season.

http://deadspin.com/heres-how-marquette-erased-a-six-point-davidson-lead-i-458283539

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

*That* was the worst of the NBA?  Honestly if you believe that, you simply aren't an NBA fan.  That was an incredibly intense game.  That may have been one of the best NBA finals games I have ever seen.

+1000000000000

Amazing game. The officiating was perfect - both teams were allowed to play physical, with no advantage given one way or another...lots of no calls both ways.  Mike Miller basically got punched in the face on a wipe away for Leonard to dunk...no call...and even the retired official Steve Jave said as much....yet in a regular season game....100% of time Miller would get that call.  Ridiculous to even enter officiating into the discussion on what was an amazing basketball game.  These guys are the best in the world absolutely going at each other possession after possession...can't wait for Game 7.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
+1000000000000

Amazing game. The officiating was perfect - both teams were allowed to play physical, with no advantage given one way or another...lots of no calls both ways.  Mike Miller basically got punched in the face on a wipe away for Leonard to dunk...no call...and even the retired official Steve Jave said as much....yet in a regular season game....100% of time Miller would get that call.  Ridiculous to even enter officiating into the discussion on what was an amazing basketball game.  These guys are the best in the world absolutely going at each other possession after possession...can't wait for Game 7.

Dead on. Welcome back,Ners.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
+1000000000000

Amazing game. The officiating was perfect - both teams were allowed to play physical, with no advantage given one way or another...lots of no calls both ways.  Mike Miller basically got punched in the face on a wipe away for Leonard to dunk...no call...and even the retired official Steve Jave said as much....yet in a regular season game....100% of time Miller would get that call.  Ridiculous to even enter officiating into the discussion on what was an amazing basketball game.  These guys are the best in the world absolutely going at each other possession after possession...can't wait for Game 7.

I don't think I've ever seen a foul called on the offensive player in that situation.

The Spurs couldn't take advantage of the opportunities they were given but also had a couple opportunities taken away from them, primarily the no-call on Ginobili's drive to the basket with about 5 seconds to play. Bosh also clearly fouled Green on the potential tying 3, but that's a call that is almost* never made late in any game.

* - Where was Hue Hollins when the Spurs needed him?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
Dead on. Welcome back,Ners.

Thanks Lenny...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a foul called on the offensive player in that situation.

The Spurs couldn't take advantage of the opportunities they were given but also had a couple opportunities taken away from them, primarily the no-call on Ginobili's drive to the basket with about 5 seconds to play. Bosh also clearly fouled Green on the potential tying 3, but that's a call that is almost* never made late in any game.

* - Where was Hue Hollins when the Spurs needed him?

Really - Never seen an offensive player whistled for using their off arm to create space/wipe away at the rim and not get called for it?  Happens quite a bit actually...if it didn't, why wouldn't every offensive player just elevate and shove the defender with their off arm every time?!

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

He must be because Duncan wasn't even in the game.  In fact, the Spurs were also apparently the beneficiary of an illegal substitution when they brought Duncan in during the review of the FT.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/19/4445280/nba-finals-2013-tim-duncan-illegal-play-spurs-heat

Sorry, my memory is blending together... I haven't watched the play since it happened, but I thought it was Duncan.  It wasn't, but my read on how Crawford reacted still stands.  He should have let that ball inbounds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
Sorry, my memory is blending together... I haven't watched the play since it happened, but I thought it was Duncan.  It wasn't, but my read on how Crawford reacted still stands.  He should have let that ball inbounds.

Here is the rule:

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/10/23/102108videoreplayrules/

"Replay review for 2-point/3-point field goals and shooting fouls would be triggered at the discretion of the game officials, and would be based on a conclusion by the crew that they cannot be reasonably certain whether the shot was a 2-point or 3-point field goal.

Following the third full timeout of the fourth period and during any overtime period(s), any review of a 2-point/3-point must be conducted at the next clock stoppage--including immediately upon a made basket when the clock stops in the final two minutes of a game. For this purpose, "immediately" means prior to the ball being touched inbounds on the play following the successful shot."

So I'm not exactly sure what you are raving about.  The game officials felt it warranted a review, and they reviewed it when they should have.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »
Really - Never seen an offensive player whistled for using their off arm to create space/wipe away at the rim and not get called for it?  Happens quite a bit actually...if it didn't, why wouldn't every offensive player just elevate and shove the defender with their off arm every time?!

No, I don't ever recall seeing a player ferociously dunk on someone and get called for pushing off.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »
This is just my personal opinion, but I feel as though the refs are there to enforce the rules. If a rule is violated, the refs, by nature of their job/responsibility, must/should blow the whistle. And it shouldn't matter AT ALL when it happens in the game. If it's a foul in the first 2 minutes, it's a foul in the last 2 minutes. "Let the players decide it"? The players make a decision when they decide to foul. If you don't want calls at the end of games, pull the refs off the floor for the last two minutes. It's absolutely insane to me that refs shouldn't be calling fouls at the end of games.

Lebron absolutely committed the foul on Green.

Parker flopped on Lebron's offensive foul.

I thought Spurs should have fouled when they were up 3. Then I definitely thought they should have fouled Bosh on the offensive rebound before Allen's 3. Of course, I also thought Duncan should have been in the game when they were up 6 and up 3.

None of this matters if Ginobli, Parker and Leonard don't all go 1-2 from the line at the end of regulation.

But seriously, refs should blow the whistle no matter the game situation. That's their job.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
wrong, look at it again.

I have, many times.  In my view, he was fouled.  In the views of many others they agree.  In the views of many others, they disagree.  Is what it is, people see different things.  Just as some people say Ginobli didn't travel, he sure did in my eyes.  Different interpretations for different people. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
I have, many times.  In my view, he was fouled.  In the views of many others they agree.  In the views of many others, they disagree.  Is what it is, people see different things.  Just as some people say Ginobli didn't travel, he sure did in my eyes.  Different interpretations for different people. 

Like who?

feedback