collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Heat/Spurs Game 6  (Read 24938 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Heat/Spurs Game 6
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
I don't have a rooting interest so I'm watching the game dispassionately.  

I hated the fourth quarter and OT.  Everyone was getting mugged and nothing was called, both ways.  Whoever decided not calling fouls when the game is on the line needs to rethink this.  It just makes for bad and ugly basketball.

flash

• Team Captain
Re: Heat/Spurs Game 6
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
I don't have a rooting interest so I'm watching the game dispassionately.  

I hated the fourth quarter and OT.  Everyone was getting mugged and nothing was called, both ways.  Whoever decided not calling fouls when the game is on the line needs to rethink this.  It just makes for bad and ugly basketball.

I've got no real issue with referees swallowing the whistle in the end of games.  Let the players decide... it has to be that way on both sides though.  I didn't think this was the best officiated game, but it made for one of the most entertaining games NBA games I've ever seen. 

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »
I've got no real issue with referees swallowing the whistle in the end of games.  Let the players decide... it has to be that way on both sides though.  I didn't think this was the best officiated game, but it made for one of the most entertaining games NBA games I've ever seen. 

Yeah, and it also allowed the Heat / Allstar team to win. I thought the game was officiated FAIR, but you can't say they should swallow their whistles on Ginobili's last drive.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
Yeah, and it also allowed the Heat / Allstar team to win. I thought the game was officiated FAIR, but you can't say they should swallow their whistles on Ginobili's last drive.

Goes both ways, Lebron was fouled going to the hoop by Green...instead that blown call gives the ball over to the Spurs.  Can't believe I actually watched 8 minutes of NBA basketball tonight. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
Goes both ways, Lebron was fouled going to the hoop by Green...instead that blown call gives the ball over to the Spurs.  Can't believe I actually watched 8 minutes of NBA basketball tonight. 

Couldn't disagree more. LeBron first pushed Green back with his left forearm, then elbowed him, and then Green stripped LeBron clean. Cannot for the life of me believe that LeBron was complaining about that call. It's unreal.

As far as the Ginobili foul, I think it's a good no call. Those 2 could have a competition for best flopped in any sport.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. LeBron first pushed Green back with his left forearm, then elbowed him, and then Green stripped LeBron clean. Cannot for the life of me believe that LeBron was complaining about that call. It's unreal.

As far as the Ginobili foul, I think it's a good no call. Those 2 could have a competition for best flopped in any sport.

In my view, LeBron is the aggressor and Green got into him long before LeBron pushed.  The whole time Green was backtracking with his feet, usually that is called on the defensive player.  Green got some ball, also got him on the arm, etc.

As for Ginobli, after watching him take 4 to 5 steps and then complain about the non-foul I was quickly jolted into remembering why the NBA game is just not that fun to watch for me...yet tonight's game (the few minutes I watched) were actually a lot of fun, but it's the obscene way in which some of the rules are just so totally ignored that brings it down for me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:44:48 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:06:36 AM »

Did you also note that Ginobili took 3-steps.  So if a whistle was blown I'd go with the travel. 

I actually did think the game was relatively poorly officiated on the individual basis.  3 or 4 of Wade's drives he was hammered and no call, meanwhile Lebron often got phantom calls (compared to other calls they let go)...other calls all the way around were just ignored. 

As a whole though I think the missed calls were balanced across both teams and the refs did a good job of keeping everything even.

Bottom line...Great game to watch.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »
As a whole though I think the missed calls were balanced across both teams and the refs did a good job of keeping everything even.

Bottom line...Great game to watch.

+1. Awesome game!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »
+1. Awesome game!

Drive, hack miss
Drive, hack miss
Drive, travel miss

Why was this a good game to watch?  Because everyone was mugged on every play and could not make a basket so the score stayed close?

It was the worst of the NBA and a showcase of why the sport cannot return to its
Jordan era popularity.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »

I never understood the "let the players decide it" argument when officials swallow the whistle and it potentially affects the outcome. Ginobili was clearly fouled on a potential championship-winning drive to the basket but there was no call. In what way was that letting the players decide it?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
funny reading the wide range of opinions about the game from great game to the NBA sucks

for the record I thought Green made a great defensive play and ginobli took steps (but what's new?)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:34:13 AM by Red Stripe »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »

wrong, look at it again.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
I like the NBA, but the no call on manu and on the 3 at the buzzer (holy s... he landed in his lap) made me question why I watched that game at all.  Totally killed the excitement for me, kind of feel cheated (Lakers fan, so I don't like either team, and I know they miss calls all the time and they don't call travelling... ever... but clearly not making calls on purpose at the end of the game)  I just don't care about game 7 anymore.    

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:03 AM »
I went to bed with about a minute left, with the Heat down, and looking like they had ZERO chance to pull this one out.  Damn.

I blame this on Legs.  He was not there to remind me that this was doable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »
I like the NBA, but the no call on manu and on the 3 at the buzzer (holy s... he landed in his lap) made me question why I watched that game at all.  Totally killed the excitement for me, kind of feel cheated (Lakers fan, so I don't like either team, and I know they miss calls all the time and they don't call travelling... ever... but clearly not making calls on purpose at the end of the game)  I just don't care about game 7 anymore.    

I feel the same way. I'm expecting the Heat to win in a route.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »
No talk of the Allen stepback 3 with time running out to send it to OT? That was fracking insane.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »
The reffing wasn't the greatest, but college refs are just as bad, if not worse. I don't understand why college fans hate the NBA playoffs when you got the best players in the world playing their hardest. The defense and team offense the Spurs have put together has just been beautiful. The amount of talent on both ends are just incredible. There's 8 guys on each team that could take over a game.

LeBron has to be the hardest player to ref since Shaq. He is just so much more athletic that it is hard to tell if he's using his weight too much or just that the other players can't physically hold up to him.

Except for Wade and LeBron, who whine too much, the court is full of some of the hardest working and classiest players you'll find. I could watch Tim Duncan and Ray Allen all day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
I actually thought the officiating was reasonable.  One must understand that what is considered acceptable in the NBA isn't the same in college and most of us here are primarily college basketball fans.

And props to Ray Allen.  That was one helluva shot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
I actually thought the officiating was reasonable.  One must understand that what is considered acceptable in the NBA isn't the same in college and most of us here are primarily college basketball fans.

This.

That was basically the end of any NBA playoff game.  That is how it's has been for years....including the Jordan era. 

The story isn't the refs.  The story is how an experienced team with an experienced coach absolutely choked that game away.  Honestly, Tim Duncan needs to be on the floor in both of those 3 point situations.  How could you *not* have one of the best players in the league's history on the floor there? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
It was the worst of the NBA and a showcase of why the sport cannot return to its
Jordan era popularity.

*That* was the worst of the NBA?  Honestly if you believe that, you simply aren't an NBA fan.  That was an incredibly intense game.  That may have been one of the best NBA finals games I have ever seen.

And do you honestly think the refs would have called that any differently during the Jordan era?  If not, you have way too rosy a view about the history of NBA refereeing.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

It's funny how people who only want to complain about the Heat never seem to acknowledge the Spurs are fielding three
Hall-of-Famers and currently employ a forgettable role player who is putting on the best shooting performance in the history of the Association. All-Stars reside in South Texas too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »
It's funny how people who only want to complain about the Heat never seem to acknowledge the Spurs are fielding three
Hall-of-Famers and currently employ a forgettable role player who is putting on the best shooting performance in the history of the Association. All-Stars reside in South Texas too.

Not to mention that Ginobili traveled....and the incredibly bogus offensive foul called on Lebron late in the fourth quarter. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

And do you honestly think the refs would have called that any differently during the Jordan era?  If not, you have way too rosy a view about the history of NBA refereeing.

This is right. I don't watch much NBA, other than playoffs, but the officials made it clear they weren't going to call anything and the players responded accordingly with their aggressiveness. Most of the calls being discussed would have been called in a regular season game, but to their credit they treated them all the same. Hell, Duncan cleared out Bosh at one point, and put him on the ground, and there was no call. They let it get physical, so the players just got more physical, and at that point the skunk was out of the box and there wasn't anything the refs were going to be able to do about it. It was a great game to watch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:47:48 AM by NavinRJohnson »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

The story isn't the refs.  The story is how an experienced team with an experienced coach absolutely choked that game away.  Honestly, Tim Duncan needs to be on the floor in both of those 3 point situations.  How could you *not* have one of the best players in the league's history on the floor there? 

Agree and disagree. He should have been out there on the Allen shot, but I can't say they choked it away. leBron just friggin took over that game in the 4th quarter and almost single handedly got the Heat back in it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
Agree and disagree. He should have been out there on the Allen shot, but I can't say they choked it away. leBron just friggin took over that game in the 4th quarter and almost single handedly got the Heat back in it.

Choke is a strong word I know...but I am including Popovich in that because I think that was a terrible coaching decision.