Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Column: Marquette's next great point guard  (Read 10227 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Column: Marquette's next great point guard
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
Then you and I simply have different views of being given the keys to the car.  Just simply starting the year isn't that IMO.

This. When you hand somebody the keys to the car it guarantees starting and big minutes through thick and thin (see DJ as a freshman). I think Derrick starts, at least early on, due to his experience, but no guarantees of minutes with Buzz at the helm.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Buzz just wants one of his guys to win 6th man award every year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
It's not as interesting to talk about as "55% 3-point shooting", but I think key to Duane getting a large amount of minutes will be not turning the ball over and defense.

I've seen the numbers that suggest he shot 55% 3FG and 63%+ 2FG for Dominican. He's not a high volume 3-point shooter, but man those look high. Let's accept them as accurate.

In the EYBL, he shot 33.7% 3FG and 45.7% 2FG.

3FGA/FGA as a senior in HS: 28.0%.
3FGA/FGA in EYBL: 34.7%

...so, think of 3FGA/FGA as similar but just a bit less than senior year Wesley Matthews (chains off, baby).

With a decent look & set shot, Duane is a very good 3-point shooter. Against some competition he can also get to the rim "easily". However, the concern is if he's taking contested 3-pointers and more 2-point jumpers as opposed to at the rim his %'s might not look so hot.

He'll be a good player.. have enjoyed watching him over the years. But, let's give him a little time. (Or if you want to crown him, then crown...)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
Well with Erik Williams it kept Jae out of foul trouble so he was able to finish games.

How did this work out with Otule and Anderson this last year?  Anderson kept Jamil out of foul trouble and Jamil was able to provide offense off the bench and at the end of games.  Otule was able to win most tips during the season (guaranteeing at least even if not one more possession than the other team) and allowed Davante to provide offense off the bench.
That is dumb philosophy--keeping Jae out of foul trouble. I do not buy that hogwash for a minute. And all it did is push Williams to transfer. And please don't come back that it was no loss as he is now out of basketball. That just proves the point that he did not deserve to start. Crowder was a stud--his Jr. year also and should have been starting. And starting a guy because he "usually" gets the tip is also a lame excuse. Alternate possession negates that
Some of these decisions leave one scratching their head or nether parts.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »

Then Buzz will grow hair-----------only later to pull it all out.
Yeah, Mayo at PG with all those other guys makes tons of sense, especially since Mayo is about the most inconsistent player and one of the poor judgment guys with the ball on the team.

Here is the solution--start J. Williams or Gardner at Point--both would like to give it a try.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
Oh yes they have. Go back and read some of those posts. Book it.
unless i'm missing something...all that talk, including the posts in this thread that are now stating buzz has said de wilson will start, come from one statement when he said de wilson should be starting in front of junior.  i haven't heard much else from buzz on the matter, but could surely see him de wilson for so many reasons...knowing very well that du wilson needs to be productive in the majority of the minutes for mu to be a final four contending team next year. 

i can't get inside buzz' head, but i'd put money on that comment being motivational towards junior...nothing more.  mu needed a consistent and hard working jc, and i don't think they got it every night (maybe not every day in practice either)...buzz likes to use his bench to teach lessons...he couldn't do that with jc because de wilson didn't have close to the same upside. 

there is a ton of thought that needs to go into how to handle the de wilson/du wilson situation.  i think it's a good situation for buzz...my guess is he can start de wilson, put that pressure on him, and du wilson can be free to play more or less minutes than de wilson with less blow-back if he starts out slow. i don't know that the situation d. james was put into in his freshman year was ideal for most, but it obviously was ideal for his skill set/personality.  maybe buzz will feel the same about du wilson.   

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:20 AM »
Then you and I simply have different views of being given the keys to the car.  Just simply starting the year isn't that IMO.

De gets the keys to start the car, back it out of the driveway and pump the gas.  Du does all the driving.  Daw stays in his car seat until we're up by 20.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
That is dumb philosophy--keeping Jae out of foul trouble. I do not buy that hogwash for a minute. And all it did is push Williams to transfer. And please don't come back that it was no loss as he is now out of basketball. That just proves the point that he did not deserve to start. Crowder was a stud--his Jr. year also and should have been starting. And starting a guy because he "usually" gets the tip is also a lame excuse. Alternate possession negates that

Buzz thought it helped.  He thought starting Juan over Jamil was smart too.  Last I checked he has been very successful using this strategy...and certainly more successful than you.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

Buzz thought it helped.  He thought starting Juan over Jamil was smart too.  Last I checked he has been very successful using this strategy...and certainly more successful than you.

Buzz also thought it would have helped to offer scholarships to Aaron Durley, Yous Mbao, and Brett Roseboro.   

He's been successful, but he's hardly infalliable.

In general I think on a message board like this all of Buzz's decisions should be open to discussion without someone trying to stifle it with the intellectually weak argument of "he's been successful so every decision of his should be beyond question."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Buzz also thought it would have helped to offer scholarships to Aaron Durley, Yous Mbao, and Brett Roseboro.   

He's been successful, but he's hardly infalliable.

In general I think on a message board like this all of Buzz's decisions should be open to discussion without someone trying to stifle it with the intellectually weak argument of "he's been successful so every decision of his should be beyond question."

Oh brother.  I never said that Buzz was infallible, but seriously do you read willie's posts?  At least I can acknowledge that I am not a college basketball coach.

But to satisfy you, I will try to break down his post.

That is dumb philosophy--keeping Jae out of foul trouble. I do not buy that hogwash for a minute.

Well, I am not sure what "hogwash" willie isn't buying here.  Buzz stated that was the case.  Furthermore he does believe that having people coming off the bench is effective, and since Jae and Jamil seemed to excel in that role, it really is hard to question it.

And all it did is push Williams to transfer.

No evidence for this assertion whatsoever.

And please don't come back that it was no loss as he is now out of basketball. That just proves the point that he did not deserve to start.

This is another theme that willie and others have in their posts.  That only the best players should start.  Well that is generally an absurd argument.  Jae was fourth on the team in minutes - second on the frontline only behind JFB.  He got plenty of time.

And starting a guy because he "usually" gets the tip is also a lame excuse.

Willie is mixing up "excuse" with "reason" again.  (Hint for the uninformed...any reason that willie disagrees with is automatically labelled an "excuse."  I think he needs to invest in a dictionary.)

This is obviously about Otule, who willie sees no value in as a player as evidenced by other posts.  This is because willie, like others, really only believe that players can contribute offensively.  Otule clearly is a very valuable defender and provides a dimension that Gardner doesn't have.  Willie and his ilk don't see that however.

Make sense to me.

So Equalizer, does that satisfy you intellectually?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
Yeah, Mayo at PG with all those other guys makes tons of sense, especially since Mayo is about the most inconsistent player and one of the poor judgment guys with the ball on the team.

Here is the solution--start J. Williams or Gardner at Point--both would like to give it a try.

J. Williams?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »
I love these articles, but we have to be careful not to set expectations too high for a freshman.  I think we all set the bar too high for Vander and that created a lot of negativity when he was adjusting to playing against Big East competition.  I hope he stars from day 1 but it's a big jump and you have to assume there will be a transition period.

Difference is that we have other recruits equally as high as DuW. If they all peak at Vanders level, no one will be complaining since we would be consistently in the Top 10. (Not to mention it isn't all on his shoulders.)

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Oh brother.  I never said that Buzz was infallible, but seriously do you read willie's posts?  At least I can acknowledge that I am not a college basketball coach.

But to satisfy you, I will try to break down his post.

Well, I am not sure what "hogwash" willie isn't buying here.  Buzz stated that was the case.  Furthermore he does believe that having people coming off the bench is effective, and since Jae and Jamil seemed to excel in that role, it really is hard to question it.

No evidence for this assertion whatsoever.

This is another theme that willie and others have in their posts.  That only the best players should start.  Well that is generally an absurd argument.  Jae was fourth on the team in minutes - second on the frontline only behind JFB.  He got plenty of time.

Willie is mixing up "excuse" with "reason" again.  (Hint for the uninformed...any reason that willie disagrees with is automatically labelled an "excuse."  I think he needs to invest in a dictionary.)

This is obviously about Otule, who willie sees no value in as a player as evidenced by other posts.  This is because willie, like others, really only believe that players can contribute offensively.  Otule clearly is a very valuable defender and provides a dimension that Gardner doesn't have.  Willie and his ilk don't see that however.

Make sense to me.

So Equalizer, does that satisfy you intellectually?

Its better than "Well it was Buzz's decision so he must be right."  I think there's a couple of points still up for debate.

First, I agree with you on the point about setting a starting lineup optimized for winning the opening tip.  However a better coutner to willie could have been "It gives us the potential for one more poession per game.  Yes, you're right when there is an even number of poessions, things even out.  But when there is an odd number, winning the tip gives us one extra posession over the other team.  Given that we had x nummber of one-posession games last year, that small edge seems like a reasonable strategy."  

Second, I think you still have a weak argument on the issue of players coming off the bench in general. On that point you argued: "Buzz stated that was the case.  Furthermore he does believe that having people coming off the bench is effective, and since Jae and Jamil seemed to excel in that role, it really is hard to question it."  

Well, the issue wasn't whether Buzz believes in his own approach--of course he's going to do what he thinks is best.  The question is whether it really is the best approach.  

Yes, Buzz was successful--the point up for debate is whether he was successful because of that strategy, or despite that strategy.

This is a potentially intersting discussion--it seems like a less common approach start a weaker player and to keep a better player on reserve.  It imight be interesitng to look at the impacts in games--like MU's early lead against ND in the BET, only to see it lost. Or how Davidson's early lead against us impacted the game flow.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
J. Williams?
Sorry--got the Williams and Wilsons mixed up. We at least need a few more Wilson's on the team to even things out.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Its better than "Well it was Buzz's decision so he must be right."  I think there's a couple of points still up for debate.

First, I agree with you on the point about setting a starting lineup optimized for winning the opening tip.  However a better coutner to willie could have been "It gives us the potential for one more poession per game.  Yes, you're right when there is an even number of poessions, things even out.  But when there is an odd number, winning the tip gives us one extra posession over the other team.  Given that we had x nummber of one-posession games last year, that small edge seems like a reasonable strategy."  

Second, I think you still have a weak argument on the issue of players coming off the bench in general. On that point you argued: "Buzz stated that was the case.  Furthermore he does believe that having people coming off the bench is effective, and since Jae and Jamil seemed to excel in that role, it really is hard to question it."  

Well, the issue wasn't whether Buzz believes in his own approach--of course he's going to do what he thinks is best.  The question is whether it really is the best approach.  

Yes, Buzz was successful--the point up for debate is whether he was successful because of that strategy, or despite that strategy.

This is a potentially intersting discussion--it seems like a less common approach start a weaker player and to keep a better player on reserve.  It imight be interesitng to look at the impacts in games--like MU's early lead against ND in the BET, only to see it lost. Or how Davidson's early lead against us impacted the game flow.

Yeah, I bleieve that the best players at each position should start. And it is likely that 90% of the kids that are the best at their position on any team feel that way also. So saying that assertion is absurd does not make it so, Skink.

Hell, why don't we just start Thomas, Anderson, De. Wilson, Ferguson, and Otule to save fouls on the others and to win the tip. Did McGuire start Butrym every game to win the tip?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Yeah, I bleieve that the best players at each position should start. And it is likely that 90% of the kids that are the best at their position on any team feel that way also. So saying that assertion is absurd does not make it so, Skink.

Hell, why don't we just start Thomas, Anderson, De. Wilson, Ferguson, and Otule to save fouls on the others and to win the tip. Did McGuire start Butrym every game to win the tip?

No, but he did start Bill Neary over Bernard Toone. And if you think Neary was the more talented ball player I have a bridge for sale...

Death on call

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
If you remember Crowder's junior season he started out as a reserve and then worked his way to be a starter by the start of conference play. Then because he kept getting early fouls Buzz began starting Erik Williams.

He in all likelihood wanted Crowder to start but he couldn't get him to stop making silly early fouls so he made the change.

So in reality Crowder made the decision for Buzz.

MU couldn't afford to have Crowder in early foul trouble every game and Crowder couldn't stop committing early fouls as a starter.....Buzz did the only thing he could.....He brought Crowder off the bench.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
J. Williams?

That's the dude who played guard for Duke and de-flowered that reporter, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
That's the dude who played guard for Duke and de-flowered that reporter, hey?

He was a few years too late for any de-flowering as that blossom had been plucked by another gardener some time before. I believe one could more accurately characterize the encounter as ravaging, soiling, or defiling.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
And it is likely that 90% of the kids that are the best at their position on any team feel that way also. So saying that assertion is absurd does not make it so, Skink.

Did you hear any complaints from Jae or Jamil????

Didn't think so.

Hell, why don't we just start Thomas, Anderson, De. Wilson, Ferguson, and Otule to save fouls on the others and to win the tip.

Yay!!!  Hyperbole!!! 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Willie

Where did you hear De Wilson has given the keys? If true, I would say a serious mistake by Buzz.

Buzz don't make mistakes with his teams because he knows better than anyone. You better this during the season. I learned the hard way!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »

So in your book Red Auerbach was a moron when he won all those NBA championships with John Havlichek coming off the bench.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »

in my opinion this shows a lack of understanding...it's like saying because 95% of teams don't sit in a zone like Cuse does Boehiem is wrong.  buzz has shown an amazing ability to coach teams differently depending on their strengths.  so while he certainly makes mistakes, i think we see him acknowledge and fix those mistakes.  he seemed very confident with his line-up, and didn't seem to feel the need to change it.  it resulted in a solid NCAA run and a BEAST championship...while you may feel "90% of the kids that are best at their position feel they should start"...one could argue that greater than 90% of the coaches in college bball wish they had the success buzz had last year.  

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
in my opinion this shows a lack of understanding...it's like saying because 95% of teams don't sit in a zone like Cuse does Boehiem is wrong.  buzz has shown an amazing ability to coach teams differently depending on their strengths.  so while he certainly makes mistakes, i think we see him acknowledge and fix those mistakes.  he seemed very confident with his line-up, and didn't seem to feel the need to change it.  it resulted in a solid NCAA run and a BEAST championship...while you may feel "90% of the kids that are best at their position feel they should start"...one could argue that greater than 90% of the coaches in college bball wish they had the success buzz had last year.  
Sorry I forgot: IN Buzz we trust. Translation: He makes no mistakes.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
So in your book Red Auerbach was a moron when he won all those NBA championships with John Havlichek coming off the bench.
Gee, thank you Lenny for coming up with an exception. How about Harden at OKC and Ginobli at San Antonio. As I am sure you are aware, the pro game is a different animal, and by the way, Havlicek (get the spelling correct) started plenty of games also. You simply troll to criticize, Lenny. Never said Buzz or Auerbach were morons--you just did on Auerbach. Opinions are like elbows, most people have them.

feedback