Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Column: Marquette's next great point guard  (Read 10228 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Previews and predictions are nice, but sometimes you've got to go all-in on a player. This guy is the real deal:

http://painttouches.com/2013/05/31/column-the-next-best-marquette-point-guard/

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Column: Marquette's next great point guard
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »
DJames athleticism + 2" and a money jumper (50+% from thee senior year).  Got a killer work ethic and his eye on the prize to boot.  No doubt in my mind dude's gonna be a star.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
Strotty, I appreciate your optimism and really have no quarrels with it.  But this line is cringe-worthy in a sports-cliches-I-hate kind of way:

"And maybe more important than anything he did at Dominican H.S. or the Hall of Famers he spoke with the last two offseasons, Wilson’s swagger is the biggest tip-off that he’ll succeed."

There have been plenty of players with swagger who have failed as freshmen...and plenty who have succeeded without it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
I sure hope that Du. Wilson does become a top point. But according to a number of people, the keys to the car are being given to De. Wilson. So how can this be?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
Willie

Where did you hear De Wilson has given the keys? If true, I would say a serious mistake by Buzz.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »
I sure hope that Du. Wilson does become a top point. But according to a number of people, the keys to the car are being given to De. Wilson. So how can this be?

See: Cordell Henry & Travis Deiner

Would not be shocked to see the same dynamic play out.  

Would also not be shocked to see that same dynamic play out of Duane on O, Derrick on D like the Gardner/Otule dynamic.  

Would also not be shocked to see Duane separate himself to the point where Buzz is forced to play him starter minutes towards the end of the season, regardless of whether or not he actually starts.

All speculation at this point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
I sure hope that Du. Wilson does become a top point. But according to a number of people, the keys to the car are being given to De. Wilson.

No one has said that.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »
I love these articles, but we have to be careful not to set expectations too high for a freshman.  I think we all set the bar too high for Vander and that created a lot of negativity when he was adjusting to playing against Big East competition.  I hope he stars from day 1 but it's a big jump and you have to assume there will be a transition period.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Strotty, I appreciate your optimism and really have no quarrels with it.  But this line is cringe-worthy in a sports-cliches-I-hate kind of way:

"And maybe more important than anything he did at Dominican H.S. or the Hall of Famers he spoke with the last two offseasons, Wilson’s swagger is the biggest tip-off that he’ll succeed."

There have been plenty of players with swagger who have failed as freshmen...and plenty who have succeeded without it.

It's an opinion piece, get over it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

My post is an opinion piece.  Get over it.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
I love these articles, but we have to be careful not to set expectations too high for a freshman.  I think we all set the bar too high for Vander and that created a lot of negativity when he was adjusting to playing against Big East competition.  I hope he stars from day 1 but it's a big jump and you have to assume there will be a transition period.

I get what you're saying, however, Vander's problem was that he had the requisite athleticism, but could not shoot or finish at the rim.  He also had DJO & Buycks ahead of him at the position. Still, he got minutes right away because he had the athleticism to play in the BEast.  Duane only has Derrick and Todd ahead of him at the 1/2, possesses great size and athleticism at the position, and can shoot lights out.  If I had to put money on one of Buzz' freshmen that he has brought in to date producing at a high level (for a freshman) right away, it's Duane.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »
pretty hard to shock you eh? :)

See: Cordell Henry & Travis Deiner

Would not be shocked to see the same dynamic play out. 

Would also not be shocked to see that same dynamic play out of Duane on O, Derrick on D like the Gardner/Otule dynamic. 

Would also not be shocked to see Duane separate himself to the point where Buzz is forced to play him starter minutes towards the end of the season, regardless of whether or not he actually starts.

All speculation at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »

No one has said that.

Actually, Buzz has said repeatedly that Derrick Wilson will start day 1. Nothing has been said that he would keep this job. But smart money is on Derrick having the starting job at the beginning of the season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
What if Todd Mayo starts at PG next season?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
Actually, Buzz has said repeatedly that Derrick Wilson will start day 1. Nothing has been said that he would keep this job. But smart money is on Derrick having the starting job at the beginning of the season

Starting for Buzz does not necessarily mean you're the #1 guy at your position.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Starting for Buzz does not necessarily mean you're the #1 guy at your position.

Yep, see Reggie Smith...Erik Williams...Jamail Jones...Juan Anderson...

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »

Doctor, I have the same thought for sometime. Mayo as all the attributes of a well rounded/talented point guard. The big IF, is whether he can integrate all his talent to become skilled and consistent.

As a further thought, Buzz has proven to be a very good read of talent and of putting together combinations of players. So, putting Mayo at the 1 and Anderson at the 2, I do not think is out of the realm of possibility.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »

Then Buzz will grow hair-----------only later to pull it all out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Willie

Where did you hear De Wilson has given the keys? If true, I would say a serious mistake by Buzz.
You must have missed some of the posts on that subject over past few months. There are a number of people that believe he will be the starter. This is not meant to start a debate on minutes, etc. Never understood some of Buzz's starter decisions, i.e. Erik Williams, Reggie Smith, Juan Anderson, Chris Otule, not starting Crowder his Jr. year, etc. Doesn't make sense to start a guy who plays 3 to 6 minutes or so each half (Williams and Smith, Anderson at end of year) How did that work out with Williams and Smith?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »

No one has said that.
Oh yes they have. Go back and read some of those posts. Book it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Thank you. Please refer to this Skink.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
Then you and I simply have different views of being given the keys to the car.  Just simply starting the year isn't that IMO.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
I think people have read too much into Buzz's comments last year about Derrick and Junior.

IMO what Buzz's meant was all things being equal if it's close he will give the nod to the more experienced guy.....Derrick isn't guaranteed anything other then a chance to compete for minutes.

He will get what he earns like everyone else.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
You must have missed some of the posts on that subject over past few months. There are a number of people that believe he will be the starter. This is not meant to start a debate on minutes, etc. Never understood some of Buzz's starter decisions, i.e. Erik Williams, Reggie Smith, Juan Anderson, Chris Otule, not starting Crowder his Jr. year, etc. Doesn't make sense to start a guy who plays 3 to 6 minutes or so each half (Williams and Smith, Anderson at end of year) How did that work out with Williams and Smith?

Well with Erik Williams it kept Jae out of foul trouble so he was able to finish games.

How did this work out with Otule and Anderson this last year?  Anderson kept Jamil out of foul trouble and Jamil was able to provide offense off the bench and at the end of games.  Otule was able to win most tips during the season (guaranteeing at least even if not one more possession than the other team) and allowed Davante to provide offense off the bench.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »

+1,

These threads always boil down to:
Guy 1) I think _____ will be good.
Guy 2) I admit I have no idea, but am glad others are excited.
Guy 3) I'm going to Aggressively bash every post by insisting that rankings are a complete crapshoot and snickering at anyone who dares to be excited by a professional scouting report.