Incoming freshmen by MUbiz
[Today at 10:57:29 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Backcourt/ Frontcourt in the new BEast  (Read 8458 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Best Backcourt/ Frontcourt in the new BEast
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
Thinking about the new conference made me wonder about who has what. I honestly don't know much about some of the programs joining the league. Where do we rank in terms of backcourt/frontcourt?

Off the top of my head I can think of Providence having a very good frontcourt with Batts and Desrosiers. Dunn and Cotton also form a pretty good backcourt for them. GTown has Starks and Rivera-Smith who form another good tandem. Besides that I don't know what teams have...

What do you all think??

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Re: Best Backcourt/ Frontcourt in the new BEast
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
G-Town and Providence are also the 2 easiest to think of for me as well, and imagine if Providence still had Ricky Ledo. Seton Hall with Fuquan Edwin and Aaron Crosby are another good combo. Not sure what any of the 3 new teams (Xavier, Butler, Creighton) have in the backcourt.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:14:01 PM by MUFanatic4Life »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
G-Town and Providence are also the 2 easiest to think of for me as well, and imagine if Providence still had Ricky Ledo. Seton Hall with Fuquan Edwin and Aaron Crosby are another great combo. Not sure what any of the 3 new teams (Xavier, Butler, Creighton) have in the backcourt.

Well, doesn't matter who you pair with McDermott since he automatically gives them a top front court.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
G-Town and Providence are also the 2 easiest to think of for me as well, and imagine if Providence still had Ricky Ledo. Seton Hall with Fuquan Edwin and Aaron Crosby are another good combo. Not sure what any of the 3 new teams (Xavier, Butler, Creighton) have in the backcourt.

If Ledo had stayed at PC they could have been very good this year. It's too bad he made the decision he did.

boyonthedock

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Too bad for providence. I'm sure Ledo will be just fine.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
Here's my take on the backcourts. I tried to get their best returning point and best returning 2 guard. Feel free to edit with transfers incoming or top recruits. I accounted for Cosby's transfer.

Backcourts:

1. Providence- Bryce Cotton/Kris Dunn--25ppg
2. Villanova- Ryan Arcidiacono/Darrun Hilliard--23ppg (they also have Bell)
3. Georgetown- Markel Starks/Devauntes Rivera Smith--22ppg
4. Xavier- Semaj Christon/Dee Davis--23ppg
5. St. Johns- Phil Greene/Jamal Branch--16ppg   
6. Creighton- Austin Chatman/Jahenns Manigat--13ppg
7. Marquette- Derrick Wilson/Todd Mayo--6ppg
8. DePaul- Charles McKinney/Brandon Young--22ppg
9. Seton Hall- Tom Mayann/Fuquan Edwin--20ppg
10. Butler- Alex Barlow/Kellen Dunham--12ppg                  

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
Here's my take on the backcourts. I tried to get their best returning point and best returning 2 guard. Feel free to edit with transfers incoming or top recruits. I accounted for Cosby's transfer.

Backcourts:

1. Providence- Bryce Cotton/Kris Dunn--25ppg
2. Villanova- Ryan Arcidiacono/Darrun Hilliard--23ppg (they also have Bell)
3. Georgetown- Markel Starks/Devauntes Rivera Smith--22ppg
4. Xavier- Semaj Christon/Dee Davis--23ppg
5. St. Johns- Phil Greene/Jamal Branch--16ppg   
6. Creighton- Austin Chatman/Jahenns Manigat--13ppg
7. Marquette- Derrick Wilson/Todd Mayo--6ppg
8. DePaul- Charles McKinney/Brandon Young--22ppg
9. Seton Hall- Tom Mayann/Fuquan Edwin--20ppg
10. Butler- Alex Barlow/Kellen Dunham--12ppg                  

LOLZ. That's hilarious. But we know it won't be the case.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
LOLZ. That's hilarious. But we know it won't be the case.

What is everyone thinking about Derrick??? I love his defense and I think he is a great floor general. Do we opt for him or a scorer in Duane??

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
What is everyone thinking about Derrick??? I love his defense and I think he is a great floor general. Do we opt for him or a scorer in Duane??

I'm sure Derrick will start.  He may not play the lion's share of the minutes, but he will be playing a lot.  Honestly, I'm fine with that.  He takes care of the ball, plays lock down D, and distributes pretty well... But of course his major liability at this point is his inability to score.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
But of course his major liability at this point is his inability to score.

You have no idea what his ability to score is. The same could have been said about Butler after his sophomore year. It was not Wilson's role to shoot.

Death on call

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »
Well, as much as I like Derrick, I don't think he'll be much of a shooter - he looks quite suspect even on FT's.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
You have no idea what his ability to score is. The same could have been said about Butler after his sophomore year. It was not Wilson's role to shoot.

This is just wrong.

Butler had something like the #4 Offensive Rating (131.5) of all returing NCAA D1 players after his Sophomore year. He very clearly demonstrated extremely strong offensive skills, and it showed with him getting nearly 20 mpg despite being on a loaded team.  

Derrick Wilson's offensive rating last year was 85.5, which doesn't even put him in the top 1000 in D1.  

I think its fair to say that if Wilson had a 131.5 offensive rating, Buzz would have unleashed him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »

It was not his role to shoot because he isn't good at it.  Do you really think that if he were good at it that Buzz wouldn't have had him shoot?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »

It was not his role to shoot because he isn't good at it.  Do you really think that if he were good at it that Buzz wouldn't have had him shoot?

I don't think his role will ever be to shoot but he's better at it than you or I. God help Marquette if I had to play ball. These kids are national level athletes. I try to refrain from criticizing on skills I could not possibly hope to have.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:39:45 PM by Terror Skink »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Tony Miller was one of the best point guards ever at MU and he was not a scorer. Scoring from point is not needed. Derrick's biggest limitation in my mind is that he is not distributor. However, I am a big fan of Derrick, because he gives everything he has. The same goes for Juan and Thomas.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Tony Miller was one of the best point guards ever at MU and he was not a scorer. Scoring from point is not needed. Derrick's biggest limitation in my mind is that he is not distributor. However, I am a big fan of Derrick, because he gives everything he has. The same goes for Juan and Thomas.

What I appreciate in Derrick Wilson is that he is an articulate, bright, thoughtful young man who excels both on and off the court. A colleague of mine at T-Mobile is a Hotchkiss Alum and he related to me two years ago that the school is extremely proud of Derrick and thrilled with the opportunity Marquette was giving him. He commented that Marquette was getting a polished person. I am proud to watch Derrick Wilson represent my alma mater.

Buzz Williams and I have a deal. I won't tell him how to coach the Marquette basketball team and he won't tell me how to fly A-10's.

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »

It's every guard role to score IF THEY CAN. He can't.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
It's every guard role to score IF THEY CAN. He can't.

Tony Miller, Quinn Buckner, Mark Jackson, Maurice Cheeks, Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio, Kenny Anderson, Muggsy Bogues, Jay Humphries, Terrell Brandon, David Wesley, Kenny Smith, Pooh Richardson, Mike Conley, Derek Harper...

None of these guys were scorers but they were great Points.

Death on call

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
Tony Miller, Quinn Buckner, Mark Jackson, Maurice Cheeks, Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio, Kenny Anderson, Muggsy Bogues, Jay Humphries, Terrell Brandon, David Wesley, Kenny Smith, Pooh Richardson, Mike Conley, Derek Harper...

None of these guys were scorers but they were great Points.

Yeah, but not one of them shot 27% from the field, 14% from three and 45% on free throws.  Maybe year 3 for Derrick will bring those numbers up abit.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:32:15 AM »
Yeah, but not one of them shot 27% from the field, 14% from three and 45% on free throws.  Maybe year 3 for Derrick will bring those numbers up abit.

I have no idea whether his shooting will improve but then neither does anyone else. Fact is he will likely be the 4th or 5th option, much like Cadougan,  Jimmy Boylan, Mandy Johnson. As long as he excels at the other aspects he will be doing his job. He is a great student athlete and we should be proud to have him represent our alma mater.

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
There is absolutely no comparison to Tony Miller and Wilson, and using him as an example is just not right. Everybody can have their opinion. Miller is MU's all time assist leader--by far--and will likely never be matched. He also was a great ball handler and good defender. Wilson is at best marginal. He is likely a good kid, plays hard and good D, and so far has made few mistakes, but to say that because Miller was not a scorer, that will be OK to play Wilson does not make much sense.

By the way, it is fun to look at some of the PG's MU has had in its history:
Butch Lee, Travis Diener, Cordell Henry, Lloyd Walton, Mandy Johnson, Sam Worthen, Dick Nixon(way back), Marcus Washington, Dean Meminger (actually played either G), Tony Miller, Rosey (a 2G in a PG body), Tony Smith, etc. I am sure I have forgotten a couple in there, but there have been some definite studs. And who can ever forget Artie Green, who could sky like he was a Center?
Probably my two favorites would be Mandy Johnson (a steal machine), and Worthen.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
By the way, it is fun to look at some of the PG's MU has had in its history:
Butch Lee, Travis Diener, Cordell Henry, Lloyd Walton, Mandy Johnson, Sam Worthen, Dick Nixon(way back), Marcus Washington, Dean Meminger (actually played either G), Tony Miller, Rosey (a 2G in a PG body), Tony Smith, etc. I am sure I have forgotten a couple in there, but there have been some definite studs. And who can ever forget Artie Green, who could sky like he was a Center?
Probably my two favorites would be Mandy Johnson (a steal machine), and Worthen.

Doc Rivers, Jim Boylan, Allie McGuire

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
This is just wrong.

Butler had something like the #4 Offensive Rating (131.5) of all returing NCAA D1 players after his Sophomore year. He very clearly demonstrated extremely strong offensive skills, and it showed with him getting nearly 20 mpg despite being on a loaded team.  

Derrick Wilson's offensive rating last year was 85.5, which doesn't even put him in the top 1000 in D1.  

I think its fair to say that if Wilson had a 131.5 offensive rating, Buzz would have unleashed him.

131.5 rating or not he averaged 5.6 pts per game, mostly on free throws (44% of his points), most of his other points were on put-backs from offensive rebounds (yielding a high rating).  His points came from the line and on put-backs, because as noted he was not expected to shoot or create for himself it wasn't his role (0% 3's).

Compare that to Juan Anderson, 3 pts per game.  Difference between Juan and JFB, JFB scored 1.5 pts more per game from the line, the bulk of the difference in scoring and making JFB have a higher efficiency rating.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
131.5 rating or not he averaged 5.6 pts per game, mostly on free throws (44% of his points), most of his other points were on put-backs from offensive rebounds (yielding a high rating).  His points came from the line and on put-backs, because as noted he was not expected to shoot or create for himself it wasn't his role (0% 3's).

Compare that to Juan Anderson, 3 pts per game.  Difference between Juan and JFB, JFB scored 1.5 pts more per game from the line, the bulk of the difference in scoring and making JFB have a higher efficiency rating.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that statistics can be misleading??

Death on call