collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Cos at MU  (Read 9234 times)

PBRme

• All American
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: The Cos at MU
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »
Cat shoulda worn Warrior gear.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:15 AM »
I thought his speech was good, but I thought for the most part, Bill Cosby acted rather disrespectfully.  Instead of wearing the appropriate PhD headwear, he had a Marquette ball cap with a tassel on it, which he waved above his head during the entire procession instead of walking solemnly like everyone else.  Then, when he began his talk, he took off his scholarly robes so that he could deliver his address in a sweatshirt and sweat pants.

Did someone fail to mention to him that this was a ceremony was to honor the graduates, not his nightclub act?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:25:19 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:25 AM »
Like I said, Cosby has never been funny.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »

Pearls before swine. Cosby is an American treasure with much to say on uncomfortable subjects through an elegant elucidation. The fact that you see neither his wit nor his intellect speaks volumes about who you are.

When my wife was around running things we had season tickets to the Seattle Symphony. One year we missed the first half of the season due to a deployment so we crammed all of our tickets into the last three months when there is less symphony and more pastiche. One evening was Cosby at Benaroya Hall. Cosby was funny, insightful, and pointed in his social commentary. Unlike most, who make apologies for stupidity, Cosby demanded accountability and an acceptance of responsibility. But the beauty of Cosby, at least on this evening, was that his anger was cleverly wrapped in wry nudges and scintillating bon mots that delivered the message without deflating the spirit. He is an American Classic. I think he is an exquisite selection as Commencement Speaker. Marquette should be proud.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:04 AM »
I thought his speech was good, but I thought for the most part, Bill Cosby acted rather disrespectfully.  Instead of wearing the appropriate PhD headwear, he had a Marquette ball cap with a tassel on it, which he waved above his head during the entire procession instead of walking solemnly like everyone else.  Then, when he began his talk, he took off his scholarly robes so that he could deliver his address in a sweatshirt and sweat pants.

Did someone fail to mention to him that this was a ceremony was to honor the graduates, not his nightclub act?

“In difficult matters, most persons prefer chewing the menu to actually eating the food”

I just listened to his commencement address. Character, integrity, honesty. Respect. Gratitude. Give.

Unlike the unintelligible Filipino bishop at my commencement, Cosby's message was crystal clear and will be remembered. I hope these graduates will reflect on words and put them into action.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:10:01 AM »

He was my brother's speaker at Bradley a few years back.  Did the same thing, hat, sweats, phd robe with a t-shirt underneath,....probably gave the same speech.  Walked out when he was done too.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:15:10 AM »

I know for a fact Cosby has never made Jerry Wainwright smile.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

I think he was, especially in his hey day and he did it without all the cussing and all the sexually explicit stuff that is needed today for cheap laughs.  His bit about being called Jesus Christ I always found funny, or feeding the kids cake in the morning for breakfast.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
I think he was, especially in his hey day and he did it without all the cussing and all the sexually explicit stuff that is needed today for cheap laughs.  His bit about being called Jesus Christ I always found funny, or feeding the kids cake in the morning for breakfast.

There is a profound difference between vulgarity for the sake of being coarse and using it to punctuate satirical social commentary. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory, George Carlin, Richard Pryor among others employed language designed to shock the audience into a greater awareness of genuine issues. Their unique brand of observational comedy helped post-industrial America come of age.

Too much of what passes for humor today is simply vulgar while at the same time being trite, droll, or inane.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »
There is a profound difference between vulgarity for the sake of being coarse and using it to punctuate satirical social commentary. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory, George Carlin, Richard Pryor among others employed language designed to shock the audience into a greater awareness of genuine issues. Their unique brand of observational comedy helped post-industrial America come of age.

Too much of what passes for humor today is simply vulgar while at the same time being trite, droll, or inane.

I agree.  Carlin and Bruce were two of my favorites. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
I agree.  Carlin and Bruce were two of my favorites. 

Lenny Bruce was an original. He had a profound impact on comedy, ranging from Dick Gregory's caustic social commentary, Woody Allen's wry experiential anxiety-ridden nebbish, the sardonic observations of Seinfeld, Carlin, Craig Ferguson, Ricky Gervais, Matt Groening, and Russell Peters, to the surreal juxtapositions of Monty Python, Jack Handy, Mitch Hedberg, and Conan O'Brien. There is irony in that his act led directly to his personal demise. Somehow, I think he would smile at that.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »

Cosby's Himself stand up is an American classic.  I don't know how many times my dad told me as a kid(some times kidding, some times I'm not sure), "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out"

Best Cosby episode is when Theo wants to move out on his own and while he's gone they turn the Cosby house into the "real world".  Classic stuff
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:48 AM »
I guess I found it surprising that a guy who has been rather outspoken about the lack of proper decorum among today's youth would act so inappropriately at a ceremony that honored the best and brightest of these young people.
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
I guess I found it surprising that a guy who has been rather outspoken about the lack of proper decorum among today's youth would act so inappropriately at a ceremony that honored the best and brightest of these young people.

?-(

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »

Yeah, I see what you are saying, but I think you're overreacting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

That is false. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
Cosby's Himself stand up is an American classic.  I don't know how many times my dad told me as a kid(some times kidding, some times I'm not sure), "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out"

Best Cosby episode is when Theo wants to move out on his own and while he's gone they turn the Cosby house into the "real world".  Classic stuff

Your father was not kidding. No sir.

Death on call

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
The Cos in this month's issue of GQ. This year marks the 30th anniversary of Bill Cosby: Himself.
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201306/bill-cosby-himself-30th-anniversary-june-2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
The Cos in this month's issue of GQ. This year marks the 30th anniversary of Bill Cosby: Himself.
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201306/bill-cosby-himself-30th-anniversary-june-2013

How unfortunate that Cosby "is not funny."

I am dumbfounded that Marquette, Yale, Amherst, Colgate, Berklee, Penn, Carnegie Mellon, Haverford, USC among others gave him Honorary Doctorates.

Seriously, this man is a contemporary Samuel Clemens or Will Rogers. His perspective is valuable for many reasons but what makes him a treasure is not just his ability to package biting commentary in piquant narratives but the courage he brings in detailing uncomfortable truths on race, justice, and accountability.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
According to Goose Brell Cosby is also a Warrior fan

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »

Hey....cut him some slack. He heeded the motto: "Be the Difference."
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »
I know for a fact Cosby has never made Jerry Wainwright smile.

I am told the reason Jerry Wainwright never smiles is not because of his soul-shattering experience at DePaul. Rather, he is a chain smoking, coffee swilling fiend whose dental condition has deteriorated to the catastrophic.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Any one of you cats can feel free to give him my card.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
Any one of you cats can feel free to give him my card.

Your Magnum Opus, Doc? A life's craft honed to a razor's edge for precisely this moment...

Death on call

feedback