[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade vs. Butler game 2  (Read 27261 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wade vs. Butler game 2
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
This year you could hold the NBA playoffs 10 times and Miami would win it all 10 times. When there's not a head and shoulders top team maybe you get 3 or 4 (out of 16).

This year's NCAA, Louisville probably wins it 5 or 6 times out of 10, Michigan twice, Kansas and Syracuse once. That's 4 (maybe 5) out of 64. Last year's Kentucky team, UNLV in maybe 91, IU in 76, most of those Wooden teams and too many others to mention win 9 or 10 times out of 10.

I think Indiana will give Miami fits, but we will see.  Wade is hurt and Indiana will not back down from them.

That being said, most of your examples are the exceptions (UCLA, Kentucky, UNLV), not the rule.  The UCLA dynasty will never happen again.  UNLV in '91 actually didn't win the title, which is entirely the point I'm making.  They got upset by Duke 79-77.  In a 5 game series or 7 game series, no way UNLV loses, but in a one game series anything can happen. It's a crapshoot....the biggest in all of sports.

The President's Cup Trophy is the worst of the examples.  Just because you have the best record doesn't mean you are the best team, so much of it is with scheduling.  If your division sucks and you stockpile wins against that division, that doesn't mean when you get to the playoffs and play the better teams night in and night out that you aren't exposed.  Regardless, the top 4 teams in the NBA, NHL and MLB probably win their championship much more often than the top 4 teams in the NCAA tournament (the #1 seeds).  Top 8 teams in those sports probably win 95% of the time (LA Kings last year were an exception to the rule).  Top 16 teams have to win it 100% of the time in those sports by the nature of the number of teams that get in, yet we still see teams outside a top 4 seed (= top 16 teams) winning the NCAA or at least playing for it...Butler, etc. 

Crapshoot...biggest in all of sports.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
I think Indiana will give Miami fits, but we will see.  Wade is hurt and Indiana will not back down from them.

That being said, most of your examples are the exceptions (UCLA, Kentucky, UNLV), not the rule.  The UCLA dynasty will never happen again.  UNLV in '91 actually didn't win the title, which is entirely the point I'm making.  They got upset by Duke 79-77.  In a 5 game series or 7 game series, no way UNLV loses, but in a one game series anything can happen. It's a crapshoot....the biggest in all of sports.

The President's Cup Trophy is the worst of the examples.  Just because you have the best record doesn't mean you are the best team, so much of it is with scheduling.  If your division sucks and you stockpile wins against that division, that doesn't mean when you get to the playoffs and play the better teams night in and night out that you aren't exposed.  Regardless, the top 4 teams in the NBA, NHL and MLB probably win their championship much more often than the top 4 teams in the NCAA tournament (the #1 seeds).  Top 8 teams in those sports probably win 95% of the time (LA Kings last year were an exception to the rule).  Top 16 teams have to win it 100% of the time in those sports by the nature of the number of teams that get in, yet we still see teams outside a top 4 seed (= top 16 teams) winning the NCAA or at least playing for it...Butler, etc. 

Crapshoot...biggest in all of sports.

A champion is the best team when it matters most. In the end, that's what it's all about.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
A champion is the best team when it matters most. In the end, that's what it's all about.

Yeah, last time I checked the President is the most popular candidate that first Tuesday in November. Who was the "best" (preferred) guy in August, September or October doesn't matter.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »
Yeah, last time I checked the President is the most popular candidate that first Tuesday in November. Who was the "best" (preferred) guy in August, September or October doesn't matter.

And most people know that the best guy for the job isn't the POTUS....the best guy is usually someone smart enough not even to run and is doing something else in life. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
meanwhile... jimmy having another good night. lots of praise.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
I think Jimmy will be MU's best player in he league once Wade starts to slow down (he already has), with Wes a close second.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
I think Jimmy will be MU's best player in he league once Wade starts to slow down (he already has), with Wes a close second.

I was talking about this with my father the other night.  He seems to think Jimmy is on par with Wade already, since Dwyane is slowing down now and Jimmy is on the rise these last few months.  He's not there yet, but soon he very well could be.

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
I was talking about this with my father the other night.  He seems to think Jimmy is on par with Wade already, since Dwyane is slowing down now and Jimmy is on the rise these last few months.  He's not there yet, but soon he very well could be.

I think Jimmy is getting close, but Dwyane showed at the end that he is still one of the best players in the league when he is on his game. When his knees are right, he is still a top 5/10 player in the league. Jimmy is starting to develop a really nice jump shot, and if he can continue to hone that he will be a top 50/75 player in the league next year. But, like I said, still a ways away from eclipsing Dwayne as the best alum.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

Whoa. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
I love JFB as much as the next guy, but let's slow down a bit comparing him to DWade. Wade is still the best SG in the NBA and a top 10 player in the NBA, while Jimmy was probably somewhere around a top 75 player this year. Wes Matthews is a better comparison right now. However, Jimmy has a lot of tools (length, athleticism, will to play D, intangibles if you believe in them) to continue to get better. But, he'll need to continue to get better and more assertive on the offensive end if he wants to be considered a top 25/40 borderline all-star type guy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »

And Buster Douglas was the best fighter in the world.  LOL...because he was the "champion" after one miracle fight. 

I'm liking my "Indiana will give Miami fits" prediction even more.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
And Buster Douglas was the best fighter in the world.  LOL...because he was the "champion" after one miracle fight. 

Heavyweight championship fights must be crapshoots. They should be best of 7 from now on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
Heavyweight championship fights must be crapshoots. They should be best of 7 from now on.

That's the point, on any given night the best can lose just like the NCAA tournament, or in boxing, or in the NFL, or in college football.

Don't worry, Miami will win the NBA title 10 times out of 10 times...right Lenny.   ;D   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »

Jimmy who?

Death on call

feedback