Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another comparison for Vander skeptics  (Read 8414 times)

GGGG

• All American
Another comparison for Vander skeptics
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
Iman Shumpert

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=iman-shumpert&i=1&p1=vander-blue

About the same size.  Vander shot better from 3, and overall, than Shumpert did his last year in college.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: Another comparison for Vander skeptics
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
Iman Shumpert

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=iman-shumpert&i=1&p1=vander-blue

About the same size.  Vander shot better from 3, and overall, than Shumpert did his last year in college.

Shumpert's rebounding, assist, and steals numbers were way better than Vander's though.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Shumpert's rebounding, assist, and steals numbers were way better than Vander's though.

I think that's key. He was 7th in the nation during his last year at GT.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »

That's true...and Vander's rebounding was better his sophomore year though.

But the larger point is that NBA execs are going to look for potential, the ability to learn and be a good teammate.  I'm watching this Knick/Pacer game and Lance Stephenson is all over the place.  Now I know that Vander isn't nearly Stephenson, but I remember when he came out and sat on the bench most of his rookie year and how criticized he was.  But he learned...got better...and now he's a really good player.

All it takes is for one team to see that in Vander and he can stick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:38:56 PM by Terror Skink »

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

Lol.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

That's true...and Vander's rebounding was better his sophomore year though.

But the larger point is that NBA execs are going to look for potential, the ability to learn and be a good teammate.  I'm watching this Knick/Packer game and Lance Stephenson is all over the place.  Now I know that Vander isn't nearly Stephenson, but I remember when he came out and sat on the bench most of his rookie year and how criticized he was.  But he learned...got better...and now he's a really good player.

All it takes is for one team to see that in Vander and he can stick.

+1000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
You're cherry-picking a bit here, playing up a few similarities while ignoring that there are some pretty large differences between the two. I really don't see them as similar players at all.

Shumpert is bigger and stronger (has 20+ pounds on Vander), probably more athletic, proved in college he could play the point and is a better defender ... which isn't a knock on Vander's defense, just that Shumpert is really good defensively.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
People say JJJ is like shumpert...hope so, how nice would that be?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
As disappointed as I was that he wouldn't be back leading us for a final four/national championship push next year, I never thought it was a terrible idea for him to bolt after this year.  The more I think about it, the better and better the decision seems.  I really hope it all works out for him.  He's a huge part of MU history.  Turned the tide on in-state recruiting by spurning UW (which was and still remains AWESOME), and hit two massive game winners to deliver MU results not seen in a decade.  His midrange game was the best I've seen since I've been following the team (2002), and it's really not hard to project that he'll extend that range with hard work over the next few years.  The better he does at the next level, the more it will pay dividends in recruiting down the road.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him go first round, but I'll be on the edge of my seat on draft night 'til he hears his name called regardless.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
People say JJJ is like shumpert...hope so, how nice would that be?

I've seen that comparison made several times, but I just don't see it.  Shumpert is/was a big point/part time off guard.  I don't see JJJ playing point at any level.  I think a good comparison style-wise for his game in the film I've seen on top of his measurables is Jeremy Lamb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
You're cherry-picking a bit here, playing up a few similarities while ignoring that there are some pretty large differences between the two. I really don't see them as similar players at all.

Shumpert is bigger and stronger (has 20+ pounds on Vander), probably more athletic, proved in college he could play the point and is a better defender ... which isn't a knock on Vander's defense, just that Shumpert is really good defensively.

Good point about the point guard...but he doesn't do that in the NBA.  You are correct that he is bigger.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

Good point about the point guard...but he doesn't do that in the NBA.  You are correct that he is bigger.

Shumpert is 6ft 5 and goes 220.  I don't think he was that big coming out two years ago, but he is very well built now.  He is a great defender and his shot has improved over the past two years.  Should have played more today as opposed to 40 year old Jason Kidd. 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Shumpert is 6ft 5 and goes 220.  I don't think he was that big coming out two years ago, but he is very well built now.  He is a great defender and his shot has improved over the past two years.  Should have played more today as opposed to 40 year old Jason Kidd. 

Experience counts for something.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
Didn't count for much today.  17 minutes...0 points....2 rebounds...1 assist...1 turnover.

Shumpert played 33 minutes and did OK.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
As disappointed as I was that he wouldn't be back leading us for a final four/national championship push next year, I never thought it was a terrible idea for him to bolt after this year.  The more I think about it, the better and better the decision seems.  I really hope it all works out for him.  He's a huge part of MU history.  Turned the tide on in-state recruiting by spurning UW (which was and still remains AWESOME), and hit two massive game winners to deliver MU results not seen in a decade.  His midrange game was the best I've seen since I've been following the team (2002), and it's really not hard to project that he'll extend that range with hard work over the next few years.  The better he does at the next level, the more it will pay dividends in recruiting down the road.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him go first round, but I'll be on the edge of my seat on draft night 'til he hears his name called regardless.

Well said, I think Vander is going to surprise a lot of people in the Draft, a first round selection is not out of the question.  Vander has something special in his game that will catch the eye of a GM somewhere.  I think his intangibles, defense, and athletic ability will find him a nice home somewhere in the NBA. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
I think a good comparison is Aaron Brooks.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »

I believe that Shumpert drew more than one charge during his college career.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »

The quarterback?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »
Well said, I think Vander is going to surprise a lot of people in the Draft, a first round selection is not out of the question.  Vander has something special in his game that will catch the eye of a GM somewhere.  I think his intangibles, defense, and athletic ability will find him a nice home somewhere in the NBA. 

Actually, it is.  There is a greater chance that Vander will not be drafted at all, than he will be drafted in the first round.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
Actually, it is.  There is a greater chance that Vander will not be drafted at all, than he will be drafted in the first round.

A lot of people would have said the same about Jimmy and Lazar, just saying, its possible...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »

Brooks is shoot-first PG who's about 5'10" and a buck-sixty. Aaron Brooks the QB might actually be more accurate.

bkooncy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »

Where are you getting this info from?  I would say at worst he will be selected in the mid second round, I cannot imagine with how weak the draft class is that he would go undrafted.  I believe he is an early 2nd round pick, with best case late 1st round potential, worst case late 2nd round.  Why would he leave if he received a grade that was not guaranteeing him to be picked in the draft.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »

Shumpert has the ball a lot when he's in the game for the Knicks. Even though Felton is the team's nominal PG, the Knicks don't have the typical PG-handles-ball-and-distributes offense. They do a lot of isolation and a real lot of 3-point shooting.

Carmelo, JR Smith and Shumpert are just as likely to have the ball and do something with it -- usually shoot, as they all are ball-hoggish -- as Felton is. And each of those 3 is more likely to have the ball these days than Kidd, who has become mostly a spot-up 3-point shooter as he approaches 70 years old. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
Where are you getting this info from?  I would say at worst he will be selected in the mid second round, I cannot imagine with how weak the draft class is that he would go undrafted.  I believe he is an early 2nd round pick, with best case late 1st round potential, worst case late 2nd round.  Why would he leave if he received a grade that was not guaranteeing him to be picked in the draft.

I haven't seen a mock draft that has him going in the mid second round (picks 41 to 50).  DraftExpress has Vander going late in the second round at #53.  The draft has sixty picks.  NBADraft.net has Vander rated in the sixties as a prospect.  CBS has him in the seventies.  Thus, based on those 3 prognosticators, much as we like Vander, he's iffy to get drafted.  Going in the first round would be a shock.  Since 2 out of these 3 have Vander going undrafted, and none have him going in the first round, I believe that Vander is more likely to be undrafted then to be drafted in the first round.

Reportedly, Vander wasn't liking school.  It isn't for everyone.  As a professional player, which Vander will be somewhere, he gets paid and can spend more time on his game without classroom obligations.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:34:25 PM by LittleMurs »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
Where are you getting this info from?  I would say at worst he will be selected in the mid second round, I cannot imagine with how weak the draft class is that he would go undrafted.  I believe he is an early 2nd round pick, with best case late 1st round potential, worst case late 2nd round.  Why would he leave if he received a grade that was not guaranteeing him to be picked in the draft.

There's 77 early entrants to the draft. There's only 60 picks. Only 30 of them get guaranteed contracts. Why does anyone declare for the draft?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle