Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another comparison for Vander skeptics  (Read 8413 times)

seakm4

• Team Captain
Re: Another comparison for Vander skeptics
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »
Brooks is shoot-first PG who's about 5'10" and a buck-sixty. Aaron Brooks the QB might actually be more accurate.

I laughed when I saw the comparison too.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
Tony Allen would be my comparison.  Won't provide a ton of offense but could be a lock down defender and possible starter if he reaches max potential. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
Tony Allen would be my comparison.  Won't provide a ton of offense but could be a lock down defender and possible starter if he reaches max potential. 

Tony Allen is the best comparison for Vander's ceiling. They're roughly the same size. They're long, athletic and good defenders but not great outside shooters. For fringe NBA players, finding a niche is key. If VB can become a lock-down defender, he'll have a nice career in the NBA.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
Agree on the niche comment.  Its all about what situation he's in.  Just like Jimmy Butler got a chance in Chicago Blue needs a team that will give him a chance to fill a Tony Allen type role. 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
Tony Allen is the best comparison for Vander's ceiling. They're roughly the same size. They're long, athletic and good defenders but not great outside shooters. For fringe NBA players, finding a niche is key. If VB can become a lock-down defender, he'll have a nice career in the NBA.

At Vander's ceiling, he still won't be a great outside shooter. So he will a slasher in the NBA?Not! Vander is a better shooter than Tony Allen now. He can only get better.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
Agree on the niche comment.  Its all about what situation he's in.  Just like Jimmy Butler got a chance in Chicago Blue needs a team that will give him a chance to fill a Tony Allen type role. 

Thibideau was raving (or what constitutes raving for him) about JFB from the get go. He didn't need to find a niche - the Bulls were looking for one for him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
At Vander's ceiling, he still won't be a great outside shooter. So he will a slasher in the NBA?Not! Vander is a better shooter than Tony Allen now. He can only get better.

From 3, Vander shot 27.7% for his career and just 30.3% last season. Allen in the NBA is shooting 26.9% from a farther line against significantly better competition. Neither guy's strength is outside shooting and I don't think it ever will be.

Vander needs to work on his spot-up shooting. He needs a tick or something to get him in rhythm when spotting up (like a batter in baseball). He can get his own rhythm off the dribble, especially because he jumps so high on his shot, but being able to spot up is different and it's something he struggles with.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
Thibideau was raving (or what constitutes raving for him) about JFB from the get go. He didn't need to find a niche - the Bulls were looking for one for him.

You cant argue that the Bulls arent the best situation for Jimmy.  I doubt he wouldve had the opportunties this early in his career to contribute if he were on another team. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
You cant argue that the Bulls arent the best situation for Jimmy.  I doubt he wouldve had the opportunties this early in his career to contribute if he were on another team. 

Bobcats?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »

Why?

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
He got PT because he has a unique and defensive minded coach.  There are lots of other veterans on the team so he didnt need to be the main scorer.  Therefore he has gotten comfortable just being a beast on D and now his offensive game is starting to come along.  The NBA is all about getting in the right situation and I think this was a perfect one for Butler.  Im not saying he wouldnt have been a good pro if he wasnt on the Bulls.  I just think this was the best situation for him to shine. 

brandx

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
I can't wait to see Vander's height at the combine. Using the eye test, Shumpert clearly looks like the bigger man by an appreciable amount. But if Shump is only 6' 4.25" tall, is Vander even 6'3"?

At 6'5" Vander would be in the NBA for many years - at 6'3" - I don't know. Those couple of inches are huge. JFB will be around for a long time. At 6'6", he can guard 3 positions with the best

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

See new thread, COULD be POOR MANS Tony Allen haha

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
From 3, Vander shot 27.7% for his career and just 30.3% last season. Allen in the NBA is shooting 26.9% from a farther line against significantly better competition and with an extra 9 years to work on his shot. Neither guy's strength is outside shooting and I don't think it ever will be.