[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Do you think the students will show up for the Nov 30 MU/UWM game?

Yes.  The upper deck will be full of students
13 (19.1%)
The upper deck will be 50% full of students
28 (41.2%)
The upper deck will be 10% full
17 (25%)
No.  It'll be like any other OOC game, the lower bowl will be mostly full.
10 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: UWM game .. student section?  (Read 16426 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
UWM game .. student section?
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
I was curious when the next sell-out type game would occur for MU. 

Some believe the UWM game will be this huge sell-out for Milwaukee.

The students generally don't fill the upper deck student sections for anything but big games.  Will UWM be a big game to them?

Will freshman think it's a big game?  Sophomores?    Clearly, many on the internet forums know the crap that's gone back and forth between the two schools .. but does the average student know it?  Will they think it's a big game, and fill the upper deck?

Or will it be another ho-hum OOC game, where only the 27th best student section in the country shows up?

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: UWM game .. student section?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »
People from the Milwaukee area will be there cuz we know how much fun it is to take a big dump on UWM. Most people that aren't from around here won't see it as a big game. I think it will also depend on the hype the Athletic office puts out for it and if they have any promos going along with it, which i doubt.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
This is my take: as if anyone cares.

I hope MU has a real chip one thier shoulder about this game for the next 5 years. I would hope every student is their in full force and I hope the Mecca is a sea of gold when we play over there.  I hope Crean and the players have a chip on their shoulder's as well.  Starters stay in until less than a minute left and anything that could be construed as a competetive game is the singular focus to not let occur.  After the way UW-m has slapped us around in the media it is high time they get what they asked for.  I am not from Wisconsin but it is my sincere hope that we beat these pricks 5 times by a combined score of over 200 points, run our record against them to 40-0 or whatever it would be and then amend the MU constitution to never play them again!
Thay got this one coming!

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »
People from the Milwaukee area will be there cuz we know how much fun it is to take a big dump on UWM. Most people that aren't from around here won't see it as a big game. I think it will also depend on the hype the Athletic office puts out for it and if they have any promos going along with it, which i doubt.

i completely agree with you. there is alot of responsibility placed upon the shoulders of the athletic department.  i have seen alot of flyers this year for both the men's and women's soccer teams, which are advertising cookouts and other game day activities.  if the athletic dept promotes it, alot of students will show up.  the freshmen will respond if they see the promos.  by the time sophomore year comes, you realize that every game is a big game

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
I didn't even know there was such a place as UW-Milwaukee when I first attended Marquette. I doubt out-of-state students will care.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
I didn't even know there was such a place as UW-Milwaukee when I first attended Marquette. I doubt out-of-state students will care.

I am right there with ya.  esp the freshman class

Warrior Farls

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »

I hope MU has a real chip one thier shoulder about this game for the next 5 years. I would hope every student is their in full force and I hope the Mecca is a sea of gold when we play over there.  I hope Crean and the players have a chip on their shoulder's as well.  Starters stay in until less than a minute left and anything that could be construed as a competetive game is the singular focus to not let occur.  After the way UW-m has slapped us around in the media it is high time they get what they asked for.  I am not from Wisconsin but it is my sincere hope that we beat these pricks 5 times by a combined score of over 200 points, run our record against them to 40-0 or whatever it would be and then amend the MU constitution to never play them again!

I couldn't agree more, Harrison.  Great post.
"Roland was a warrior" -Warren Zevon

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »
I didn't even know there was such a place as UW-Milwaukee when I first attended Marquette. I doubt out-of-state students will care

Iagree it was the same way for me.  Addtionally even the locals will say " Oh, UW-M , they suck why go"
Also most freshman and maybe even sophomores are not aware of all the BS UWM has pulled and the baiting by Pearl and the AD etc.  Maybe a nice article in the MU Tribune during the week leading up to it with the chronology and all the BS and quotes etc.  I dont just want fans there I want pissed off fans there!! And a pissed off Crean and a pissed off team!!

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:54:54 PM »

Also most freshman and maybe even sophomores are not aware of all the BS UWM has pulled and the baiting by Pearl and the AD etc.  Maybe a nice article in the MU Tribune during the week leading up to it with the chronology and all the BS and quotes etc.  I dont just want fans there I want pissed off fans there!! And a pissed off Crean and a pissed off team!!

Agree with most of you. This game will hold more meaning for us that are from Milwaukee and were around here when UWM had their little run, and proceeded to run their mouths non stop.
MUFAN12, if you are out there....You know EXACTLY what I am talking about!!!

Harrison...great idea bout the article in the Tribune. As for quotes, how about this one:
"The value of our program needs to be recognized." -Bud Haidet, UWM AD.

WHAT A JOKE!!!

Along with an article like that, I would hope the Athletic Dept. promotes this game, just so we can have a packed, loud student section letting UWM know that they dont belong.

As for the players, alot of their motivation should come from Crean. I highly doubt that DJ, Jerel, or any of the players from out of state, really give a damn about UWM and the garbage they pulled before they got here.  Im sure TC will have a little extra pep in his step (on top of what he already brings) leading up to that game and hopefully that "pissed-off-ness" rubs off on the team and they take it to the Pink Panthers.   

Frankly, we cant win by enough IMO. I want to run them off the court, back to their dump... and I assume that most Milwaukee residents/MU diehards feel the exact same way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:57:49 PM by GOMU1104 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »
The only thing I'd change about your post, Harrison, is that I don't want our starters in the game at all.  I want to start all our walk-ons and reserves, and stomp them with our scrubs by 100 points.

I don't even want to start 5 guys.  4 should be plenty.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:15:51 PM »
The only thing I'd change about your post, Harrison, is that I don't want our starters in the game at all.  I want to start all our walk-ons and reserves, and stomp them with our scrubs by 100 points.

I don't even want to start 5 guys.  4 should be plenty.

I want 3 starters, Fr. Kelly and the good looking blonde dance team girl to start, play 40 minutes, and whoop them by 100.   8)

Of course, all of the badger fans that have been clamoring for the game should be willing to pay top dollar to anyone with tickets for sale, since, you know, it's good for college basketball in WI.   ::)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »
For those you you who don't know, the US Cellular Arena used to be known as the Mecca.  8)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:31 PM »
I'm not from WI either, and while I knew there was a UWM when I came here... I didn't really know anything about the school.

Anyways, as far as students getting into the rivalry... I'm sure there will be some stuff in the local media that will probably trickle down to the team and students (on both teams).

I don't think the game will be a sell-out, but given the geography, it would be silly to think that this game won't have some increased interest from everybody (students, alumni, media, etc.).

I know that this isn't considered a "real rivalry" by some people, but nevertheless, I think the proximity of the 2 schools makes it very interesting. AND IF UWM ever beats MU, the rivalry will really be on.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »
I too did not know of UWM's existence prior to coming to Marquette…until, that is, I dated a girl there.  Didn't think much of the place other than it was your typical city community college (later realizing it was a 4-year type), that they were on the same side of town as the coffee trader, a bike shop I liked, and some place that made gi-normous burritos.  Never really had a negative feel for the place; people seemed nice, down to earth, with little or no interest in sports in general.

I guess what surprised me was with a little BB success along came some pretty virulent criticism of Marquette, it's students and athletic program(s).  What surprised me was how pissed off some of these folks on the message boards were and that I never noticed it in my years at MU.  Have things changed since I left MKE in the 90s, does the average U-WM student really hate MU that much?  Or is it just localized to a handful of message board crashing fools (who have been noticeably absent as of late)?

Nevertheless, I agree with Harrison's post…smash the crap out of them...take their women.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »
I'll say this .. prior to UWM's brief rise in post-season play .. I lived near a couple girls in Shorewood .. they'd gone to other UW@location schools .. they really applied bad stereotypes to Marquette students/alums.  The typical stuff, stuck-up, rich-boys, better than everyone else.  Disappointing.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »
stuck-up, rich-boys, better than everyone else

1 for 3 ain't horrible... at least they ended on a truthful note ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »

I wouldn't hold out much hope for a lot UWM alum's at the game.  I think most of them work second shift at Subway.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
what they should do for this game is to let everyone with a MU student ID in for free.  i think it would be a slap in the face of uwm.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »
what they should do for this game is to let everyone with a MU student ID in for free.  i think it would be a slap in the face of uwm.

This only works if the IDs are actually swiped.  For the men's soccer game @ UWM last year, I used a friend's UWM ID from when he went there for a year, put my thumb over the picture, and strolled on in.  Then I passed the ID off to another buddy through a fence or something, and so on down the line of 7 people.

EDIT: I hope we win by 500.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
I don't see the game as being anywhere close to a sellout...hope I am wrong...but just don't see it.

Ran into Sheriff Chambliss?(spell check) at the golf course...played at UW ..anyways I was  talking with him and Coach Jeter called and he kept telling the coach to hold on whilst we finished some business...wished him well for the upcoming season..they have alot of newcomers and young players..didn't talk much of the Marquette game but I just don't see it selling out with the competion where its at...as a UWM alum I don't see the game as anything worth seeing. Just my opinion.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:05:41 PM »

I wouldn't hold out much hope for a lot UWM alum's at the game.  I think most of them work second shift at Subway.

Just a thought, but statements like that may be what give people the negative idea of MU that hilltopper referenced.  When it gets down to it, aside from the difference in perception that the two degrees receive, do you really think there's any difference between what is taught?  No matter what school you're at you're going to learn exactly the same thing in most classes.  Calculus is calculus last time I checked.  There isn't going to be a whole lot of difference in what students are learning.  The difference comes much in the perception of the degree and the accessibility of those perceived "better" degrees.  I can think of a few former Marquette students who are working at Subway or some such "lesser" pursuit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »
Blasphemer! You are banned.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »
UWM is going to be a LOT better than they were last year.  They will almost certainly be bigger across the front line.  I suspect a win, but do not think it will be any kind of blowout.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 12:09:05 AM »
Yes, the degree is 4x's better because while you can 'teach' things to students... it's the 'learning'  that makes MU better.

If you don't believe me, challenge the statement of MU vs. UWM business/consulting started in specific fields. I can 100% guarantee you that UWM isn't close. I'd best NIU is closer.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 09:17:40 AM »
Yes, the degree is 4x's better because while you can 'teach' things to students... it's the 'learning'  that makes MU better.

If you don't believe me, challenge the statement of MU vs. UWM business/consulting started in specific fields. I can 100% guarantee you that UWM isn't close. I'd best NIU is closer.

I'm not sure I fully understand your challenge statement but I'm going to take a stab at it.  My basic point above was that, the material taught is going to be close to identical from school to school.  If this is the case I believe that a business started by an alum of MU would be just as successful if that SAME student had graduated from UWM.  It takes a certain mentality to have a successful business and I can't believe that that mentality is taught.  That driven student at MU who's goal is to start a successful business would receive the same education at UWM and probably be able to start the same business because he/she is driven and has that goal to start with.  This is not to belittle MU experiences.  There is much that MU offers outside the classroom that UWM cannot, however, to lessen the quality of an UWM education seems short-sighted.

I would like to qualify these statements because I have no solid grounds from which to state that the taught material is the same.  This is all stipulation on my part.  If it turns out that there actually are distinct differences between class material than my argument goes out the window.

feedback