Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 11:55:22 AM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 11:27:11 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: student tickets $70  (Read 13365 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: student tickets $70
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 05:24:41 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/sioncampus/02/20/spring.break2/index.html

Any of these.

Just tell me where the money is going, and it would probably change my mind.

OK - Let me break that down for you, since you apparently didn't do the math...

#1 - Duke - $0, first come first serve (everyone can get in)
#2 - Illinois - $123 / season ($7.23 / game)
#3 - Kentucky - $5 / game
#4 - MSU $179 / season (campout for izzone), $154 for reserved upper deck
#5 - Florida - $0, reserved seat, not everyone can get in

So, Marquette tickets are VERY competitive with everyone but Duke.  Sure at UF it's free, but good luck getting in with all the rest of the students.

I don't see what you're complaining about.  I'm sure you'll drop more than $70 this year on something that brings you less enjoyment than MU hoops.  Compared to the increases Alumni have been paying, you're lucky to still get tickets at this price.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »
I believe I said the ticket prices were similar, it's what you get at those schools. And how the student section is run,

'87 has great points, Izzone is probably run the best overall. And the Orange Krush is free, you must collect donations.

Being a fan, I'm going to pay the money. If I were a student next year, I might buy the $162 ticket package to avoid freezing my ass off.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »
I really like this from MSU in the article:
In the first half, when the shot clock reaches 10 for the opponent, everyone starts counting down from seven. In the second half, they start counting down from 10 when the clock reads seven.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 10:17:35 AM »
I think marqptm is bringing up some valuable points and I don't think it's really necessary to jump all over him.

Clearly, the type of people who frequent this board or who get to the Bradley Center at 5am for a noon game are going to have a very inelastic demand for student tickets. They'd certainly pay $70 for tickets, and without much pressure also pay $100 for tickets. For them, paying $100 for being at the Bradley Center for Big East games is (as is the sentiment of many) a small price.

However, there are people who have much more elastic demand for a student ticket. For them, the value of going to the game might not be so much seeing a game up close, but as another entertainment option (ie, many females, imho). They might not value the opportunity cost of purchasing tickets at $100 compared with whatever else it might go towards.

You also need to factor in the performance in the season. My freshman year (03-04), 4400 students purchased student tickets because it was right after the FF year (I was in MUSG working with the AD to try to rearrange student seating). Well, the team dropped a deuce that year, and low and behold, something like a thousand fewer undergrad students purchased tickets for 04-05.

For many students, almost no price increase and no prior bad experience will ward off an opportunity to sit near the floor of the Bradley Center. But for other students, the cost of $100 for tickets and time spent seeing bad basketball might not be worth it. It's all up to each individual students' perspective on the value of what he's purchased.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 10:41:38 AM »
I think marqptm is bringing up some valuable points and I don't think it's really necessary to jump all over him.

Clearly, the type of people who frequent this board or who get to the Bradley Center at 5am for a noon game are going to have a very inelastic demand for student tickets. They'd certainly pay $70 for tickets, and without much pressure also pay $100 for tickets. For them, paying $100 for being at the Bradley Center for Big East games is (as is the sentiment of many) a small price.

However, there are people who have much more elastic demand for a student ticket. For them, the value of going to the game might not be so much seeing a game up close, but as another entertainment option (ie, many females, imho). They might not value the opportunity cost of purchasing tickets at $100 compared with whatever else it might go towards.

You also need to factor in the performance in the season. My freshman year (03-04), 4400 students purchased student tickets because it was right after the FF year (I was in MUSG working with the AD to try to rearrange student seating). Well, the team dropped a deuce that year, and low and behold, something like a thousand fewer undergrad students purchased tickets for 04-05.

For many students, almost no price increase and no prior bad experience will ward off an opportunity to sit near the floor of the Bradley Center. But for other students, the cost of $100 for tickets and time spent seeing bad basketball might not be worth it. It's all up to each individual students' perspective on the value of what he's purchased.

I think you are right, and you bring up some good points, but I think the elasticity of the tickets has more to do with performance than price. If the team sucked, and it was free... you wouldn't see many people going. If the team was #1 in the country, you could probably charge almost $200 and still fill it.

Given that ticket prices are only going up to $100 for the year (and I think that still gets you into every sporting event), I still think it's a bargain and I don't think you will see a drop in student attendance.

Granted, it's a 30% raise in price... but the product is probably vastly undervalued at $70, so the 30% raise isn't a big deal.

As far as offering the students more organization and stuff like other student sections... I think it's a cool idea... but I also kind of like the "wild west" feel of the MU student section (anything goes). Some of the university endorsed stuff at other schools is so cliche and kind of lame. MU students drink beer (heavily) and have a great time. We don't need to be the next "izzone", we just need to keep it a party that's too good to pass up. 

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 10:51:29 AM »

Since 2009 is talking $100, if I were still a student I would except something more for that $100. Like no more general admission seating (many schools), a free shirt for every conference game (DePaul), and some other additives.

$$$

What is that like 15-20 shirts a game??????
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »

I think you are right, and you bring up some good points, but I think the elasticity of the tickets has more to do with performance than price. If the team sucked, and it was free... you wouldn't see many people going. If the team was #1 in the country, you could probably charge almost $200 and still fill it.

Given that ticket prices are only going up to $100 for the year (and I think that still gets you into every sporting event), I still think it's a bargain and I don't think you will see a drop in student attendance.

Granted, it's a 30% raise in price... but the product is probably vastly undervalued at $70, so the 30% raise isn't a big deal.

Small point:  going from $70 to $100 is a 42.86% increase, not a 30% increase.

Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »
I'd be curious to know what an average MU student spends on beer (and/or coffee) money in a month!

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
If the team sucked, and it was free... you wouldn't see many people going.

Is it bad that I immediately thought of UWM when you posted that?

;)

My roomate of the last two years went to UWM ... after the first exhibition game last year, he never went to another game all season long.

But I think you're right -- performance is probably more elastic (students respond to it) than price (students respond to it but not as much).

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
I pay $150.00/seat just for the privilege of buying season tickets. So stop your bitching about the student tickets going to $100/season. Your parents probably pay for it anyway.

Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »

What is it on an annualized basis over 12 years?  My guess much less than inflation rate over the time period.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »
I have to say that I like the fact that most people are seeing the increase as a reason for the less die hard fans to get the tickets, which i think is one thing that the Athletic Dept may be trying to do.  I'm sure they want the biggest fans at the games and to keep the drunk, obnoxious people that have no class to stay at home.  They can still be drunk and obnoxious at home without paying 100 bucks so they will probably do that.  Then there are still the rich preppy girls, and guys too, that have mommy and daddy get them everything and get the tix right away, show up for 3 games all year, and don't pass the other game's ticket off to other friends who may want to go but didn't get tickets.  It's tough to say how much of an increase is justifiable without having too much backlash and I can see what the Athletic Dept is doing in this situation as pretty good.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »

Rats. Me and my MU marketing degree  ;)

You are right, $30 on top of $70 isn't a 30% raise. My mistake.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
Wow....simply wow, I can't even begin to believe that you are seriously complaining about that.  When you get a response like has been shown on this post I am inclined to think it is time to cut bait and skulk away with your tail between your legs PTM.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »
I'm actually happy with the response. I do not care what the alumni have to say about, their bitchy comments really don't matter.

I'm personally not worried about the price increase, I've always been involved in making the student section into something better. If prices are going to increase then efforts need to be made, and then actually follow through with them.

Constructive criticism is excellent.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »
I'm actually happy with the response. I do not care what the alumni have to say about, their bitchy comments really don't matter.

I'm personally not worried about the price increase, I've always been involved in making the student section into something better. If prices are going to increase then efforts need to be made, and then actually follow through with them.

Constructive criticism is excellent.
First of all, not everyone here is an alumni.  Besides you should care what they think, they've been through the experience and now are on the other side...paying the cost of 4 games for one seat that would get you over a season's worth of home games for a student ticket. Not to mention the amount of money they donate just to be given the chance to get better seats.  You just look foolish complaining about a small increase when it really is nothing. If it pushes the ones who, come late/leave early and don't come to most of the games, away then fine.  More bodies don't mean more noise if they aren't making any to begin with.  Great if they want to watch a game live, but that's not what our whole section should be about though.  Also, I fail to see where there was constructive criticism from your posts. If I missed it point it out. Because all I saw was a bunch of whining and complaining.  The money goes where it goes, I don't care as long as things are going well at our school.  We have great facilities and a great team, so who cares where the money is going from this. Now if we sucked I'd see your point, but it's a hard point to push when there isn't a lot wrong.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
I pay $150.00/seat just for the privilege of buying season tickets. So stop your bitching about the student tickets going to $100/season. Your parents probably pay for it anyway.

Did I miss something here? I must have accidently stumbled upon the Notre Dame basketball message boards. Sometimes, I'm not sure there is even a difference.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 01:08:53 PM by warrior07 »

feedback