[Today at 04:43:17 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ferguson to transfer  (Read 20422 times)

kmwtrucks

• All American
Re: Ferguson to transfer
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »
Assuming Vander, Jamil W, Juan come back.  He would be competing with JJ and DB for playing time.  Bottom line is he could be a HM player but we are bringing in some real talent at his same postion who are not going to start.  

With CO and DG probably gettting 40+ minutes and you also have Mckay and ST getting the majority of minutes at the 4.  Juan and Jamil will probably get most of there minutes on the wing and Vander is going to get 30 minutes at the 2/wing, Where is he going to get minutes on the wing?

I don't think it was a talent miss just that our best recruit is the same type of player as him, and our most college ready recruit is also and our best 2 returning player's play the wing as well. (assuming Vander comes back)

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »
Assuming Vander, Jamil W, Juan come back.  He would be competing with JJ and DB for playing time.  Bottom line is he could be a HM player but we are bringing in some real talent at his same postion who are not going to start.  

With CO and DG probably gettting 40+ minutes and you also have Mckay and ST getting the majority of minutes at the 4.  Juan and Jamil will probably get most of there minutes on the wing and Vander is going to get 30 minutes at the 2/wing, Where is he going to get minutes on the wing?

I don't think it was a talent miss just that our best recruit is the same type of player as him, and our most college ready recruit is also and our best 2 returning player's play the wing as well. (assuming Vander comes back)

Why does no one ever include Mayo in these scenarios? Something there?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
Why does no one ever include Mayo in these scenarios? Something there?

Mayo didn't include himself in very many scenarios this year, why would we think next year will be any different?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
Correct, it didn't.  That's why I ask if it was a poor talent evaluation, or a kid that didn't have the motor and the staff thought he did, who knows.  Sultan is correct, it happens at a lot of places and will continue to unless more schools start to offer multi year scholarships which they are now allowed to do. It will be interesting to see in the recruiting battles if some coaches start to use that.  "Come to my school and I guarantee you X years" vs other schools that may only offer a renewable one year...if I were a borderline player, I may ask that as leverage in terms of what schools to consider.

If this is what it going to happen, then couldn't this lead to schools using this as leverage to keep their star players from entering the draft (i.e., as it is a semi-contract)?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Disappointing. Hoped he would make a bigger impact next season. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
Enlighten me on how this works?  Can't a coach say "Oh yes, I'll match Directional State U and give you an X year scholarship", and after the first is a failure and he needs a scholarship say "Your scholarship can not be taken away as it's promised for next year.  But you won't play, actually you'll have the role of a walk-on in practices...but if you want to transfer your release is right here in my hand."?  Or is the player also unable to transfer until the offered period is over, or can he leave but the offered scholarship still affects the limits whether the player is still there or not?

The NCAA changed the legislation last year on a very close vote.  Marquette was one of the schools that voted against the new legislation, as did most schools.  However, to override the legislation the schools needed at 62.50% of the vote, but only 62.12% voted it down. 

Scholarships are one year, renewable offers.  Now, schools can offer multi-year scholarships if they wish.  In your scenario above, the coach could certainly say you are stuck on the bench and will never play, but it protects the player from being Purnelled, Buzzcut, Creaned, etc....his tuition, R&B, etc is paid for under the multi-year offer.  I don't know if it has any impact on transfer status, good question.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/ncaa_correctly_passes_multiyea.html

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-02-17/multiyear-scholarships-be-allowed

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
If this is what it going to happen, then couldn't this lead to schools using this as leverage to keep their star players from entering the draft (i.e., as it is a semi-contract)?

I don't think so....that opens up a can of worms that implies contract employee status which the NCAA absolutely does not want to go down.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Mayo didn't include himself in very many scenarios this year, why would we think next year will be any different?

Are you saying you think the new guys will make him into Jake Thomas Jr. (Role player only playing when 3's are needed). Remember, he does have two SOG's.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
Yeah, I know that Ricky Bobby didn't say, "no disrespect to Jamal..."  But thanks for clearing that up.  I think that most people on here can see that there's some similarity between "with all due respect" and "no disrespect to Jamal."  The point stands...just saying "no disrespect to Jamal" doesn't change the fact that it was a gratuitously disrespectful statement.

Mea culpa.  When I wrote what I wrote I was thinking the satirical nature of what I was trying to say would be quite apparent... I had this post on my mind from this morning when I wrote my earlier post

Oh yay.  Another thread turned into a pissing match about something the thread wasn't about. 

and I was merely foreshadowing that this thread would quickly turn into a CO discussion; however, I was wrong on that point and I neglected the way my comment would be perceived had it stayed on topic.  It serves as a reminder to me that Scoop isn't full of a bunch of degenerate thread-jackers like myself.

That said, I - as much as anyone - wish the best for Jamal.  (there I go, back on topic... heh, sometimes I even surprise myself)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
Wow! Ferguson leaving, Jake Thomas leaving, rumors that Vander is going pro and arguing with Buzz. I guess the situation of being over by two scholarships has evaporated. Hopefully Buzz has a stud in his sights for this next class. I hear the #1 ranked recruit is looking at Ky. but is not signed yet. Can Buzz land him?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
Wow! Ferguson leaving, Jake Thomas leaving, rumors that Vander is going pro and arguing with Buzz. I guess the situation of being over by two scholarships has evaporated. Hopefully Buzz has a stud in his sights for this next class. I hear the #1 ranked recruit is looking at Ky. but is not signed yet. Can Buzz land him?

Don't forget Otule's returning as well, and yes I'm sure we could make a last minute run and convince possibly the best high school recruit since Kevin Durant or maybe LeBron to come play for us.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
Are you saying you think the new guys will make him into Jake Thomas Jr. (Role player only playing when 3's are needed). Remember, he does have two SOG's.

I really hope Todd can turn things around. I for one would really like to see a smile, like OX,  on that kid.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

When players have transferred under Buzz, I can't recall a single instance of them landing at high major schools.  I would be extremely surprised to see him other than a place like Hampton or ODU.

nevermind already stated!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:59:05 PM by buckchuckler »

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
Hopefully it works out for him. Some guys are good enough to go to a high major, but not good or consistent enough to be a contributor getting solid minutes. Better fit for a mid major. Jamail Jones is going to be playing on the Florida Gulf Coast team that got to the Sweet 16 this year. He's the highest profile player to go to play at FGCU so far, and he should start right away. Looks like transferring out and moving to a smaller, close-to-home school is going to really work out for him. Hopefully they find a good replacement for Enfield. An Indiana assistant is considering the job.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
I am sorry to see him go, because I thought he had a lot of potential. However, with the talent coming in next year his playing time was not going to increase, so if playing time is important to him he is making the right decision.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »
Mea culpa.  When I wrote what I wrote I was thinking the satirical nature of what I was trying to say would be quite apparent... I had this post on my mind from this morning when I wrote my earlier post

and I was merely foreshadowing that this thread would quickly turn into a CO discussion; however, I was wrong on that point and I neglected the way my comment would be perceived had it stayed on topic.  It serves as a reminder to me that Scoop isn't full of a bunch of degenerate thread-jackers like myself.

That said, I - as much as anyone - wish the best for Jamal.  (there I go, back on topic... heh, sometimes I even surprise myself)

I wasn't thinking that.  It was more the stupid Dom James discussion.  Happily, this thread got back on track. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
I'm not surprised, but really hoped he would stay around.  I think in about 2 years he is going to be a special player.  I think VCU would be an ideal landing spot for him as I think their style will fit his skill set.

Buzz knows Shaka, would be interesting to know if they have talked about Ferguson.

Best of luck to the guy, I was a fan from what I have seen from him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
Not surprising....we spent more time on here speculating that Tokoto would transfer then one of our own.

Best of luck to Mr. Ferguson.

Speculating about some other schools transfers is much preferable to speculating about our own. 

Since Hunt has already speculated that Jake Thomas was Buzz cut, I guess that he won't make that insinuation about Jamal.     NAH.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:24:34 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
Newbill at PSU

We were talking about high major schools, not conferences.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

No.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
At least 4 open scholarships after next year, big recruiting year for Buzz again, timing is perfect, PR can not be better.  Can Buzz get into a Top 10 household besides Looney next
year?

Oooh, I'm glad to hear that Looney apparently already has committed!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
Crazy, I guess, but I wonder if Buzz looks to really teach/guide/help Mayo develop as a person by being present and available to M as his coach.  I really believe in BW as one who lives and practices AMDG, the Jebby motto.  I dunno, but it seems that Buzz bonds with parents, relishes the task, and truly commits to help/train young men become all they can be in their beginning adulthood - and do it in the context of the ridiculously competitive arena of major college basketball. I dunno.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2013, 08:08:23 AM »
I really think staying at Marquette is in Todd's best interest. From all the staff comments and articles written, it really seems like he will end up better off as a person if he spends 4 years here. What he does on the court is secondary.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »
Always get a little wistful when it doesn't work out for a kid and he decides to leave. I guess it just goes to show how hard it is to succeed in big-time college ball. Good luck, Jamal.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 05:50:30 AM »
UVA bloggers are going crazy over Jamal Ferguson's transfer. Nothing but good things are being said from those that have seen him play or played with him. Wondering if that's his next stop. With Blue leaving, is it too late to change his mind and come back.