[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ferguson to transfer  (Read 20434 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Ferguson to transfer
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
Not surprising....we spent more time on here speculating that Tokoto would transfer then one of our own.

Best of luck to Mr. Ferguson.

What? http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38147.0;all

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »
That's "With all due respect".....

Yeah, I know that Ricky Bobby didn't say, "no disrespect to Jamal..."  But thanks for clearing that up.  I think that most people on here can see that there's some similarity between "with all due respect" and "no disrespect to Jamal."  The point stands...just saying "no disrespect to Jamal" doesn't change the fact that it was a gratuitously disrespectful statement.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
Dn't discount UVA or Va. Tech

When players have transferred under Buzz, I can't recall a single instance of them landing at high major schools.  I would be extremely surprised to see him other than a place like Hampton or ODU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »

When players have transferred under Buzz, I can't recall a single instance of them landing at high major schools.  I would be extremely surprised to see him other than a place like Hampton or ODU.

Mostly concur, is that because of a miss in talent evaluation?

Reggie Smith is probably the exception, transferred to UNLV. 

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »

Maymon to Tennessee.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
When players have transferred under Buzz, I can't recall a single instance of them landing at high major schools.  I would be extremely surprised to see him other than a place like Hampton or ODU.

Newbill at PSU
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
Newbill at PSU

Not a transfer, actually.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
I'm mildly surprised by this, although it's true his playing time probably would have been sparse the next couple of years.  Thought it would be Todd on his way out one way or another, and I suppose that could still happen.

FWIW, Jamal's family was sitting behind the bench at the Georgetown game in DC - probably 5 or 6 people - and Buzz gave his mom a kiss on the cheek during pre-game and shook everybody else's hand.  Hope this was Jamal's choice and that there are no hard feelings on either side, but such is life in major D1 hoops.  I, too, was impressed by his athleticism and demeanor in limited minutes and bet we'll be hearing his name in future years.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

And Smith flamed out at UNLV too.

And I don't know if it is a miss in talent evaluation.  It could be drive.  It could be the whole transition to life away from home.  Combination of the three?  Whatever it is, it happens at many places.  And I would rather have them leave to find a better fit then take up room on the bench for four or five years like at UW.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »

That worked out real well for him.  No clue where he is at now.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
Maymon to Tennessee.

LOL...forgot about that disaster.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22007798/transfer-list-first-edition

Goodman's transfer list as of five days ago.  Any worthwhile names?  If we lose another guard I'd be in for Granberry as a one year.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
He went first to Southern Miss.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
I'd like to see him in the A-10 or the Colonial. I've always liked those conferences and they have a lot of teams in and near Virginia.

VCU, Old Dominion, William & Mary, Richmond, George Washington, James Madison, Towson, etc.

He could be a major impact player at one of those schools. I'd love to see him being a key contributor on a tourney cinderella sometime in the near future.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

He ended up at Eastern Illinois.  I believe he is eligible this coming Fall.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
He ended up at Eastern Illinois.  I believe he is eligible this coming Fall.

Good grief.  Thanks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »

Correct, it didn't.  That's why I ask if it was a poor talent evaluation, or a kid that didn't have the motor and the staff thought he did, who knows.  Sultan is correct, it happens at a lot of places and will continue to unless more schools start to offer multi year scholarships which they are now allowed to do. It will be interesting to see in the recruiting battles if some coaches start to use that.  "Come to my school and I guarantee you X years" vs other schools that may only offer a renewable one year...if I were a borderline player, I may ask that as leverage in terms of what schools to consider.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
2 tournament appearances this millennia, 5 in 57 years: Not a High major, actually.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:07:56 PM by Ari Gold »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
Kudos to Sunbelt, he called that one. Didn't see that coming at all...not sure if that means he expected time early or if he simply didn't see time coming in the future.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Good luck Jamal.  Would have loved to see you play more at MU.  Love your game.  You will do well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Correct, it didn't.  That's why I ask if it was a poor talent evaluation, or a kid that didn't have the motor and the staff thought he did, who knows.  Sultan is correct, it happens at a lot of places and will continue to unless more schools start to offer multi year scholarships which they are now allowed to do. It will be interesting to see in the recruiting battles if some coaches start to use that.  "Come to my school and I guarantee you X years" vs other schools that may only offer a renewable one year...if I were a borderline player, I may ask that as leverage in terms of what schools to consider.

And a lot of top schools will say "no thanks" and pass them up.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

Enlighten me on how this works?  Can't a coach say "Oh yes, I'll match Directional State U and give you an X year scholarship", and after the first is a failure and he needs a scholarship say "Your scholarship can not be taken away as it's promised for next year.  But you won't play, actually you'll have the role of a walk-on in practices...but if you want to transfer your release is right here in my hand."?  Or is the player also unable to transfer until the offered period is over, or can he leave but the offered scholarship still affects the limits whether the player is still there or not?

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
I had high hopes for his ability to contribute down the line. I think he'll be a good player for someone. Best of luck.

I don't know if i had high hopes about his future as a player given he rarely played to evaluate, but i definitely was intrigued because he seemed super athletic and pretty long armed, so maybe at worst he'd be a really good wing defender and great out in transition.

I did see him interviewed on the Buzz show on TW and he seemed to be a really great kid, so hopefully he finds success elsewhere.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
Kudos to Sunbelt, he called that one. Didn't see that coming at all...not sure if that means he expected time early or if he simply didn't see time coming in the future.

Thanks Brew, but now I'm kinda sad. Best wishes to J. Ferguson.