[Today at 03:02:37 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[Today at 03:01:12 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Hiroshima Coming Today  (Read 10177 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
DePaul Hiroshima Coming Today
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »
Little birdie is telling me up to 5 players will transfer out of DePaul today. Could be 1 or 2 more as well.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
If a tree falls in the forest...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
you know the rest...

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
Re: DePaul Hiroshima Coming Today
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
By "little birdie" do you mean this Scott Powers tweet?

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiPowers/status/321320921518465025
Sounds like it could be a mass exodus at DePaul. I've heard up to 5 people transferring. Should have more info later today.

I didn't know Chris Broussard was a poster here

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
Not to name drop, but I went to school with Jim Doyle's kids, know the family quite well. There ya go, thanks for stopping by.

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
but this is really just getting sad. At what point are they a mid-major? Wouldn't be surprised if Billy Garrett Larkin-ed them this summer. I dont see why any good player would want to go there and playing at McCormick might not help either.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
This news was posted on ESPN Chicago twitter feed at 12:57 p.m.

DePaul losing a bunch of stiffs for a new bunch that might actually be able to play.  If Purnell keeps his job past next year I will be suprised.  Ponsetto should go with him.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Not to name drop, but I went to school with Jim Doyle's kids, know the family quite well. There ya go, thanks for stopping by.

How's Diamond Jim these days, anyway?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
This news was posted on ESPN Chicago twitter feed at 12:57 p.m.

DePaul losing a bunch of stiffs for a new bunch that might actually be able to play.  If Purnell keeps his job past next year I will be suprised.  Ponsetto should go with him.

Last October, they extended Ponsetto through 2016.  Why, I have no idea....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
The only scholarship senior graduating was Clahar...and Oliver-Oh-Oliver had at least four coming in:  Garrett, two JUCO bigs and an Oak Hill commit.  Don't think this is a case of the rats jumping off a sinking ship, rather than a Pur(n)elling of the O deck, no?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
The Bullseye guys tweeted out this two days ago, fwiw:

"Looks like there could be massive roster changes at DePaul w/ 3 players reportedly asking for their releases although nothing confirmed yet."

Only one of the players whose name has come up so far is what would be considered a key contributor.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
They've been Olive Oiled. Just waitin' on the balsamic.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »
The only scholarship senior graduating was Clahar...and Oliver-Oh-Oliver had at least four coming in:  Garrett, two JUCO bigs and an Oak Hill commit.  Don't think this is a case of the rats jumping off a sinking ship, rather than a Pur(n)elling of the O deck, no?
Looks like Oliver is joining the big leagues.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
The only scholarship senior graduating was Clahar...and Oliver-Oh-Oliver had at least four coming in:  Garrett, two JUCO bigs and an Oak Hill commit.  Don't think this is a case of the rats jumping off a sinking ship, rather than a Pur(n)elling of the O deck, no?

Makes sense...looks like they had 14 players who weren't seniors remaining and unless five were walk-ons they needed some departures to make room.  Let's just hope the incoming class is an upgrade over the transfers, or we'll really have to try to sub them for Loyola, or maybe a girl's middle school team.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 01:36:54 PM »
Man DePaul has the City of Chicago to build off of. How do you not sell that? By all measures they should be miles ahead of MU if you had 20 years of equal focus on BBall at each school.

It's a shame - wonder when they'll get their shlt together
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
DePaul is a joke. They were invited to the old Big East—and remain in the new Big East—for one reason: the city of Chicago.

If DePaul was located in Iowa, they would have vanished long ago.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
DePaul is a joke. They were invited to the old Big East—and remain in the new Big East—for one reason: the city of Chicago.

If DePaul was located in Iowa, they would have vanished long ago.

DePaul is a sleeping giant. 

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
Man DePaul has the City of Chicago to build off of. How do you not sell that? By all measures they should be miles ahead of MU if you had 20 years of equal focus on BBall at each school.

It's a shame - wonder when they'll get their shlt together

You can say the same for St. John's. How do you not win when you have NYC and MSG as your conference home court?

At least St. John's seems to be trying to become relevant again. But never understood why a coach couldn't just walk in and say MSG and Big East and have his pick of the liter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
DePaul is a sleeping comatose giant. 

Fixed.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
Or of the Imperial quart.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
You can say the same for St. John's. How do you not win when you have NYC and MSG as your conference home court?

At least St. John's seems to be trying to become relevant again. But never understood why a coach couldn't just walk in and say MSG and Big East and have his pick of the liter.

Because 16 and 17-year-old kids don't care about MSG or the Big East.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
I like to refer to my alma mater as a rusted out, inoperable, up-on-the-blocks '68 Mustang GT.  Deep down there is something desirable, but you shouldn't have a plumber try to restore a classic car (no disrespect to any plumbers out there).

So yes, none of the four or five potential "transfers" were a surprise to anyone that watched (or tried to watch without sticking needles in your eyes) the team this year.  And its likely that one of the JUCO bigs that signed may not make it to campus for reasons unknown, but not cracking the starting lineup on a JUCO team doesn't necessarily portend to success even in a Big-East "lite" conference.

Hat tip to the "big boys" comment above.  Probably 1 or 2 assistant coaches will leave to "look for other opportunities" and the vaunted press defense (or matador apprenticeship program) should be gone next year too.  

In all, you may see DePaul look a lot like the Purnell teams that were in Dayton rather than the Clemson versions.  At least perhaps for another 1.5 years until Jeannie is given another opportunity to underwhelm and overpay.  

Perhaps then at least DePaul will suck closer to downtown in a new corporate designed arena no where near their campus.  Of course I like the McPier location for selfish reasons, but me and the 138 other people that still care enough about the team to waste time on the intermet talking about the program can only ask for so much.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
I like to refer to my alma mater as a rusted out, inoperable, up-on-the-blocks '68 Mustang GT.  Deep down there is something desirable, but you shouldn't have a plumber try to restore a classic car (no disrespect to any plumbers out there).

So yes, none of the four or five potential "transfers" were a surprise to anyone that watched (or tried to watch without sticking needles in your eyes) the team this year.  And its likely that one of the JUCO bigs that signed may not make it to campus for reasons unknown, but not cracking the starting lineup on a JUCO team doesn't necessarily portend to success even in a Big-East "lite" conference.

Hat tip to the "big boys" comment above.  Probably 1 or 2 assistant coaches will leave to "look for other opportunities" and the vaunted press defense (or matador apprenticeship program) should be gone next year too.  

In all, you may see DePaul look a lot like the Purnell teams that were in Dayton rather than the Clemson versions.  At least perhaps for another 1.5 years until Jeannie is given another opportunity to underwhelm and overpay.  

Perhaps then at least DePaul will suck closer to downtown in a new corporate designed arena no where near their campus.  Of course I like the McPier location for selfish reasons, but me and the 138 other people that still care enough about the team to waste time on the intermet talking about the program can only ask for so much.

Referring to our conference as 'Big East Lite" won't get you much love around hear.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
I find it humorous that people think DePaul is this storied program that only recently has been downtrodden. The only sustained success DePaul has ever really had was immediately after Al retired through the very early years of Joey Meyer. And even then they fell flat on their faces in the tournament nearly every year. In 42 years as coach, Ray Meyer won 20 or more games 11 times, 7 of them being after the 1976-77 season, and have had 21 seasons of 20+ wins in program history.

I don't expect them to challenge for the NBE title anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:42:57 AM by Heavy Gear »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
Referring to our conference as 'Big East Lite" won't get you much love around hear.

Deal with it, the truth hurts.  Believe me, I know.

I like the NBE, but it is the unleaded version of the old.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Deal with it, the truth hurts.  Believe me, I know.

I like the NBE, but it is the unleaded version of the old.

Yeah absolutely true.  I think the Big East will remain a very strong conference, and one of the best in college bball.  But the Big East we are leaving behind was the best bball conference ever.  Butler, Xavier and Creighton are solid adds.  But they don't make up for losing games against Louisville, Syracuse, UConn.  Those are teams that could challenge for a National Championship any season.  We are also leaving behind really solid teams like Pitt, ND, and Cinci.  Butler, X, and Creighton are great replacements for those three, but losing those top tier elite teams hurts. 

feedback