'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Hiroshima Coming Today  (Read 10172 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: DePaul Hiroshima Coming Today
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Bubba over on the DePaul boards said that one is leaving on his own...the rest are being Purnelled.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

Death on call

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
I find it humorous that people think DePaul is this storied program that only recently has been downtrodden. The only sustained success DePaul has ever really had was immediately after Al retired through the very early years of Joey Meyer. And even then they fell flat on their faces in the tournament every year. In 42 years as coach, Ray Meyer won 20 or more games 11 times, 7 of them being after the 1976-77 season, and have had 21 seasons of 20+ wins in program history.

I don't expect them to challenge for the NBE title anytime soon.

DePaul made the Sweet 16 in '76, the Elite 8 in '78, and the Final Four in '79.  If that's considered falling flat on your face than Marquette hasn't had any tournament success since 1977.

DePaul also made the NCAA tournament 11 times between 1980-1992 (by comparison, we made it 3 times in that span).

DePaul has been bad for quite awhile now, and they won't contend for a Big East title anytime soon.  But, I think we need to be careful using our recent success/DePaul's recent failures to measure that one program has always been bad while another has always been good.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
Some times when i am feeling depressed about MU after a tough loss or a recruit we missed on I go over to the DU board just to remind myself how good we have it right now.  I do have to say that Bubba on the DU board is an eternal optimist and a glutton for punishment.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
DePaul made the Sweet 16 in '76, the Elite 8 in '78, and the Final Four in '79.  If that's considered falling flat on your face than Marquette hasn't had any tournament success since 1977.

DePaul also made the NCAA tournament 11 times between 1980-1992 (by comparison, we made it 3 times in that span).

DePaul has been bad for quite awhile now, and they won't contend for a Big East title anytime soon.  But, I think we need to be careful using our recent success/DePaul's recent failures to measure that one program has always been bad while another has always been good.

That's what you got from all of that? I never said we've always been good, my point is that DePaul's success as a program has become over-inflated over the years.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
That's what you got from all of that? I never said we've always been good, my point is that DePaul's success as a program has become over-inflated over the years.

No, the part I focused on (and bolded in your original message) is when you said DePaul fell flat on their face in every tournament, ignoring their Sweet 16, Elite 8, and FF.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »
that is one delusional bunch, they keep talking about upgrading the talent for next year, not many 4 stars left who haven't singed whit someone else at this point so not sure where the talent influx is coming from at this point in time.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
that is one delusional bunch, they keep talking about upgrading the talent for next year, not many 4 stars left who haven't singed whit someone else at this point so not sure where the talent influx is coming from at this point in time.

Give em a break.  They're rooting for DePaul.  Posting on message boards about it.  Still.  That is some dedication.  Let them hope and dream.  Who knows, it may happen. 

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
Some times when i am feeling depressed about MU after a tough loss or a recruit we missed on I go over to the DU board just to remind myself how good we have it right now.  I do have to say that Bubba on the DU board is an eternal optimist and a glutton for punishment.

Is he a Cub fan?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
Transfers that they would pick up and have play immediately:

Josh Davis, 6-8, PF, Jr., Tulane
Lasan Kromah, 6-5, G, Sr., George Washington
David Pellom, 6-8, F, Sr., George Washington

Those are the only players near serviceable with that route. Josh Davis averaged 17 ppg at Tulane, so maybe they could pursue him and get an "upgrade".

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
You're saying it takes 4-star recruits to upgrade the talent on the end of DePaul's bench???

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
This is Purnell's last chance, but it's shaping up to be a good one.

"With a three-member recruiting class led by Morgan Park point guard Billy Garrett Jr., DePaul will have some things to sort out when it comes to their rotation in 2013-14.

Oliver Purnell’s program will be without two players from this season however, as it was reported by WeAreDePaul.com on Sunday that junior forward Moses Morgan has decided to transfer. Morgan’s decision comes on the heels of a report Thursday that freshman wing Jodan Price would leave the program...

DePaul signed two front court players in its 2013 class, 6-10 center Forrest Robinson from South Plains (Texas) JC and 6-9 forward Greg Sequele from Citrus (Calif.) JC (Garrett and Oak Hill Academy shooting guard R.J. Curington are the others).

However with Cleveland Melvin, Donnavan Kirk and DeJuan Marrero (missed all of 2012-13 with a torn ACL) all returning the Blue Demons will have depth inside."
SS Marquette

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
No, the part I focused on (and bolded in your original message) is when you said DePaul fell flat on their face in every tournament, ignoring their Sweet 16, Elite 8, and FF.

I amend my statement to read "And even then they fell flat on their faces in the tournament nearly every year."

That being said, I hope we're not looking at our current success the same way 35 years from now.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

dayton flyers

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
Makes sense...looks like they had 14 players who weren't seniors remaining and unless five were walk-ons they needed some departures to make room.  Let's just hope the incoming class is an upgrade over the transfers, or we'll really have to try to sub them for Loyola, or maybe a girl's middle school team.

I could be wrong, but according to http://verbalcommits.com/schools/depaul, DePaul only had 9 scholarship players this year that were either freshmen or sophomores or juniors.  Plus, they had 1 senior and 1 redshirt senior.  So, that's 4 open spots, and verbalcommits is only showing 4 incoming players, Garrett, Curington, and the 2 jucos.  So, it looks like DePaul is right at 13 scholarship players now.

I don't see why they need anybody to transfer out to make room for more players.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »
This is Purnell's last chance, but it's shaping up to be a good one.

"With a three-member recruiting class led by Morgan Park point guard Billy Garrett Jr., DePaul will have some things to sort out when it comes to their rotation in 2013-14.

Oliver Purnell’s program will be without two players from this season however, as it was reported by WeAreDePaul.com on Sunday that junior forward Moses Morgan has decided to transfer. Morgan’s decision comes on the heels of a report Thursday that freshman wing Jodan Price would leave the program...

DePaul signed two front court players in its 2013 class, 6-10 center Forrest Robinson from South Plains (Texas) JC and 6-9 forward Greg Sequele from Citrus (Calif.) JC (Garrett and Oak Hill Academy shooting guard R.J. Curington are the others).

However with Cleveland Melvin, Donnavan Kirk and DeJuan Marrero (missed all of 2012-13 with a torn ACL) all returning the Blue Demons will have depth inside."
Look at the number of JUCOs.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Look at the number of JUCOs.

The horror.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »

Last October, they extended Ponsetto through 2016.  Why, I have no idea....

Based on the statement made by DePaul's president at the time, it was because he has no idea.  Administration love of Ponsetto says all that anyone needs to know about why DePaul has fallen as far as it has.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
Transfers that they would pick up and have play immediately:

Josh Davis, 6-8, PF, Jr., Tulane
Lasan Kromah, 6-5, G, Sr., George Washington
David Pellom, 6-8, F, Sr., George Washington

Those are the only players near serviceable with that route. Josh Davis averaged 17 ppg at Tulane, so maybe they could pursue him and get an "upgrade".

Tarik Black from Memphis reportedly has graduated early and will be ready to play immediately.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
I'll eat my foot if Tarik Black goes to DePaul.

dayton flyers

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
I could be wrong, but according to http://verbalcommits.com/schools/depaul, DePaul only had 9 scholarship players this year that were either freshmen or sophomores or juniors.  Plus, they had 1 senior and 1 redshirt senior.  So, that's 4 open spots, and verbalcommits is only showing 4 incoming players, Garrett, Curington, and the 2 jucos.  So, it looks like DePaul is right at 13 scholarship players now.

I don't see why they need anybody to transfer out to make room for more players.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-depaul-players-transfer-20130409,0,5412067.story?track=rss

Ok, this article clears things up for me.  verbalcommits already had Moses and Price transferring out.  Without those 2 transferring out, then DePaul would have had 16 players, 3 over the limit.  With these 4 transfers now though, they are actually now at 12 scholarship players, 1 under the limit.

I miscounted before, they were at 14 before, not 13, and they are at 12 now, 1 under the limit.

feedback