Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Really, really p*ssed off!  (Read 5411 times)

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
Really, really p*ssed off!
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
I can take being treated as the Rodney Dangerfield of the NCAA tournament. It is OK that the Warriors are ranked 16th of 16. Maybe individually they really not very good. But, what really, really p*sses me off is the way the entire sport world is revising history and refuses to give MU credit for anything.

Start with Big East ... Marquette ties for the championship. It wins more games than any BE team over the course of the past two years. It never loses two games in a row. These facts are rarely mentioned by the informed press. However, the few times BE championship is noted, the revisionist press makes winning the BE sound about as significant as if the Warriors had just won the 6th grade CYO league championship.

Then there is the Davidson "Widcats." They were under-seeded and the Warriors were over-seeded, they said. All the press talked about was the Davidson 17 game win streak and their experience senior laden team. The Warriors win, and all of sudden for the press they become the minor-major Davidson "Kit Kats."

Move on to the Butler "Bull Dogs" ... before the game all we heard about how tough they were, how few mistakes they made, how they had been to the final four, and so on. Again the Warriors win, and the revisionists press changes direction and talks about all the flaws of the mid-major Butler "Puppy Dogs." As in, they have no real guards. Excuse me, then who was that cheerleader hitting those threes?

So, if we beat the Miami, will they suddenly become the Miami "Slight Breeze from the SW at 2 to 3 miles per hour"?

Then there is all the keen insights the press has offered on coaches. We read how great the Davidson coach was. He gets out-coached, and boom he disappears from all articles, as one would expect. But, hey, does the guy who out-coached him get any credit? No, the Warriors were just "lucky."

Butler game and the same things happens, Coach Williams out-thinks Coach Stevenson (class guy), but does Coach Buzz get any credit? Nope. Warriors got "lucky" again.

Does Coach Williams get credit for doing it the hard way? For doing it the morally right way? For his love of his team? For the unselfishness of the team? Does the press care? Does it think? Or, is it just "luck"?

The press writing about "luck" is a lazy cop-out on their part. There is no "luck" in basketball. You have the skill and nerves under pressure to make the shot, or you don't. You play defense, get a stop/rebound, or you don't. You choke, or you don't. The coach makes the right adjustment and out thinks the other coach, or he doesn't.

I could go on a long time on how terribly the Warriors have been treated ... to the point I am so p*ssed off that I am ready to suit-up and play tackle basketball.

I just hope the Warriors pummel Miami and tear the fricking faces off Indiana! All in the name of Mary Queen of Victory, and luck, of course.

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Really, really p*ssed off!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
so who's fired up for the game?  yeah  ;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »
I agree with a lot of this, but Buzz gets more press than practically any coach left in the tournament...unless I missed Larranaga on PTI, Jim Rome, Mike & Mike, Scott Van Pelt, etc., etc. I do think we get a little bit slighted, but only a little.

Besides, we were lucky as hell to beat Davidson, although IMO, we kicked Butler's ass in the 2nd half.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »
Utica -  Sounds like maybe you should out and clean the garage or something before the game starts.  Do something to ease the throttle back a little, please. For your sake.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
chip on shoulder.....  CHECK

Let's do this!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
Boy, is it time to play or what?

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
Utica is on point though, everybody i talk to plays the "lucky" card when discussing MU's journey so far in the tourney. My adage is "A WIN IS A WIN" regardless of how it played out.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
I'm ready to play!  Win tonight and nobody can doubt us anymore.

And as my JV basketball coach used to say, "there's no such thing as luck.  Luck is where hard work meets opportunity."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
The team only plays well, if they think they are the underdog. Does not make sense, but I would be more confident at half time tonight if we were down four instead of being up 4. This team needs their back to the wall.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
That's funny, bilsu, because I am usually more worried when MU comes out hitting everything it throws up than I am when MU comes out struggling and grinding. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »
Oh hai Buzz . . . weird that you're on here on gameday. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
UBB, what I think you are saying is that Miami is evil and must be destroyed.    It is a moral imperative.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
Let's f'in goooo boysssss!!! So jacked up!!!! LEEEGGGGGOOOOOOO
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
The team only plays well, if they think they are the underdog. Does not make sense, but I would be more confident at half time tonight if we were down four instead of being up 4. This team needs their back to the wall.
I would be more confident tonight if we could move the game to the Bradley Center.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
Lighten up Francis

Miami isn't that good.  I think if we are focused we win easily.

So sick of the disrespect card around here.  Warrior fnas are pepetually offended.  Is there anyone on our side besides Rosiak? Really?   According to this site and Scout EVERYONE is agianst Marquette.  It gets old

Prove it on the court, and we will.   I so badly want a shot a Benedict Crean I can taste it!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
That's funny, bilsu, because I am usually more worried when MU comes out hitting everything it throws up than I am when MU comes out struggling and grinding. 
100 percent agree. See BET vs ND as exhibit A.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
Well said. But my response to that is "good." Let them not see it coming. Nothing should be given to us, the Golden Eagles have to take it. This isn't going to be a basketball game, this is going to be a street fight. No matter the outcome, I'm proud of these guys; the coaches, the players, and the fans. Eff the media, eff the NCAA, and eff Miami. They better be ready for a fight, cause I guarantee you, no matter the outcome, The U will not know what the hell hit them when they wake up tomorrow morning. Fire it up Boys!
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »
I'll be honest, I absolutely love the way the press is treating us. Mainly because I felt we were this good back in October and stuck by those feelings all year long. It took a few months, but before too long, the few who were singing the praises of this team spread to just about the entire board.

Now it begins again. The media is treating us exactly how members of this board were after the Georgetown win. People were all convinced that we weren't very good. We were lucky to be 2-0 in the Big East. Both games could have went the other way. But they didn't. And the season didn't. Before you knew it, we were Big East champs and this board had a lot of believers.

We started this tournament 2-0 and people think we're lucky. Go 2-0 this weekend and it'll be hard for anyone to not acknowledge that we're good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
There's always luck involved in these things but the way I see it is:

1 Sweet Sixteen - could be a fluke
2 in a row- could be lucky
3 in a row - that's now called a trend

Go MU!!!

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
Very very true.  If we win it'll be because Miami was without one of their big man who had an injury blah blah blah...Let's win the whole damn thing this year and shut everyone up.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
There's always luck involved in these things but the way I see it is:

1 Sweet Sixteen - could be a fluke
2 in a row- could be lucky
3 in a row - that's now called a trend

Go MU!!!

If we are simply a lucky team, then we are without a doubt the luckiest f*cking team in the country.

But let everyone go ahead and think that.  They have underestimated this team every year since Buzz took over.  You would think that after this many years, they would start catching on.  I would love to see a five-year chart of the "experts" preseason prediction of our performance vs. how we actually wound up.  Anyone got one, or willing to take it on?
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
Look at it this way... the media knows that this "disrespect" is being used as fuel to MU's fire, so the fact that they keep disrespecting Marquette should be an indicator of who they want to win the game.

And why the heck wouldn't you want MU in the Final Four?  Soft-stories on Al McGuire - not to mention montages involving the likes of Rick Majerus, Doc Rivers, Dwayne Wade, Jimmy F Butler, etc. - are a TV producer's dream.

It's not disrespect... it's a media conspiracy to get MU into the Final Four.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
I can take being treated as the Rodney Dangerfield of the NCAA tournament. It is OK that the Warriors are ranked 16th of 16. Maybe individually they really not very good. But, what really, really p*sses me off is the way the entire sport world is revising history and refuses to give MU credit for anything.

Start with Big East ... Marquette ties for the championship. It wins more games than any BE team over the course of the past two years. It never loses two games in a row. These facts are rarely mentioned by the informed press. However, the few times BE championship is noted, the revisionist press makes winning the BE sound about as significant as if the Warriors had just won the 6th grade CYO league championship.

Then there is the Davidson "Widcats." They were under-seeded and the Warriors were over-seeded, they said. All the press talked about was the Davidson 17 game win streak and their experience senior laden team. The Warriors win, and all of sudden for the press they become the minor-major Davidson "Kit Kats."

Move on to the Butler "Bull Dogs" ... before the game all we heard about how tough they were, how few mistakes they made, how they had been to the final four, and so on. Again the Warriors win, and the revisionists press changes direction and talks about all the flaws of the mid-major Butler "Puppy Dogs." As in, they have no real guards. Excuse me, then who was that cheerleader hitting those threes?

So, if we beat the Miami, will they suddenly become the Miami "Slight Breeze from the SW at 2 to 3 miles per hour"?

Then there is all the keen insights the press has offered on coaches. We read how great the Davidson coach was. He gets out-coached, and boom he disappears from all articles, as one would expect. But, hey, does the guy who out-coached him get any credit? No, the Warriors were just "lucky."

Butler game and the same things happens, Coach Williams out-thinks Coach Stevenson (class guy), but does Coach Buzz get any credit? Nope. Warriors got "lucky" again.

Does Coach Williams get credit for doing it the hard way? For doing it the morally right way? For his love of his team? For the unselfishness of the team? Does the press care? Does it think? Or, is it just "luck"?

The press writing about "luck" is a lazy cop-out on their part. There is no "luck" in basketball. You have the skill and nerves under pressure to make the shot, or you don't. You play defense, get a stop/rebound, or you don't. You choke, or you don't. The coach makes the right adjustment and out thinks the other coach, or he doesn't.

I could go on a long time on how terribly the Warriors have been treated ... to the point I am so p*ssed off that I am ready to suit-up and play tackle basketball.

I just hope the Warriors pummel Miami and tear the fricking faces off Indiana! All in the name of Mary Queen of Victory, and luck, of course.

You are absolutely right on some of your points.  While I was one of those worried about upsets in these games (though a 3-6 matchup is hardly an upset to begin with) they can't have it both ways, pick the upset because the opposing team is very good, then treat them like easy to crack mid majors.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
Buzz did get alot of media spots, so no problem with that.

But, if MU wins then the pundits will say it was because Reggie Johnson didn't play. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

Can we get this guy to DC and in the locker room before the game?