[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is MN a better job than Marquette?  (Read 24182 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Is MN a better job than Marquette?
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
National perception tends to think so?

I am starting to think that if you are not a large state school and you are not; Duke B-ball you are automatically written off as a mid major.  The folks on the Gopher board seem to think that the job would be a huge step up for both Buzz and Jay Wright.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Is MN a better job than Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

I am starting to think that if you are not a large state school and you are not; Duke B-ball you are automatically written off as a mid major.  The folks on the Gopher board seem to think that the job would be a huge step up for both Buzz and Jay Wright.

Clearly, that arctic chill has frozen their brains. No, Minnesota is not a better job. But it's sweet that they love their school and think so.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »
Hahahaha. Should that be in teal? Buzz is about loyalty, which MN has non. They just gave Tubby an extension in the offseason, he brought them to the round of 32, and they canned him. He made that program relevant again and they canned him. No, MN is not a step up. All schools think they are a step up from MU, but not many are.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

TJ

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
no

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
No. It's what? The 8th or 9th best job in its own conference?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Seriously, they play in a barn and have no practice facility like the Al, no basketball tradition for about 40 years, nice campus though

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
Crap.  We're going to have Gopher17, Gopher18, and Gopher20 all over this board in a matter of days.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
But that elevated floor is really cool. ::)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
No. It's what? The 8th or 9th best job in its own conference?

They say over at Gopherhole that any Big ten job is better than any job regardless.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
They say over at Gopherhole that any Big ten job is better than any job regardless.

Buzz to Northwestern?

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
As a part-time Gophers fan that's lived in Minnesota for decades...... absolutely not. They'll get a coach, and probably a good one, but the fans and pundits looking at Brad Stevens and Buzz are off their rockers. I can't speak to the "national perception" -- which is about the most vague thing I've ever heard -- but "reality" is that the Marquette job is better in every measurable way: recent success, recruiting, facilities, compensation, etc.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
...and, we should end it on that note.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
I guess that whenever I read the ESPN message boards they are always refering to the basketball only teams that are not state schools as mid major.  Im afraid that the nation thinks the new big east is Mid Major.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »

The folks on the Gopher board are delusional. Minnesota regionally recruits in a mediocre area for talent and just fired a hall of fame coach for making the round of 32. Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue and Maryland are better programs. Iowa is their equal. The only time they've had any real success in a long time the wins were vacated due to cheating.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

Which is stupid and wrong.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

If that were the case, Northwestern wouldn't have to settle for Chris Collins...and Nebraska and Penn State would have made significantly better hires.

Just being in the Big Ten doesn't make the job better.  Conference affiliation isn't the be all and end all in college basketball.  I mean, Josh Pastner just signed and extension with Memphis today instead of taking the USC job.

Programs matter.  And conference affiliation is part of what makes a program, but it isn't anything close to what they are saying.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
I guess that whenever I read the ESPN message boards they are always refering to the basketball only teams that are not state schools as mid major.  Im afraid that the nation thinks the new big east is Mid Major.

I honestly don't know how you leave the house every day with all of your concerns and worries.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
I honestly don't know how you leave the house every day with all of your concerns and worries.

This.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
Gopherhole is a mid-major message board.  MUScoop would be a huge step up for the boys at Gopherhole. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:35:15 PM by Litehouse »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

Bingo.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »

If that were the case, Northwestern wouldn't have to settle for Chris Collins...and Nebraska and Penn State would have made significantly better hires.

Just being in the Big Ten doesn't make the job better.  Conference affiliation isn't the be all and end all in college basketball.  I mean, Josh Pastner just signed and extension with Memphis today instead of taking the USC job.

Programs matter.  And conference affiliation is part of what makes a program, but it isn't anything close to what they are saying.

But what else can they hang their hats on??? Conference affiliation is all they have. Their football and basketball programs have never been relevant.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »

The ESPN message boards are full of slack-jawed, booger eatin' morons.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
Hahahaha. Should that be in teal? Buzz is about loyalty, which MN has non. They just gave Tubby an extension in the offseason, he brought them to the round of 32, and they canned him. He made that program relevant again and they canned him. No, MN is not a step up. All schools think they are a step up from MU, but not many are.

I agree with this.  Although the team didn't live up to it's pre and early season hype, I can't see how he got fired, especially after winning a game against a higher ranked opponent in the tournament. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
Oh, and the MN job does have some upside if the right guy is hired. It's the only D1 school in the state, and there is some talent there.

The problem is infrastructure. If they get a new practice facility and hire the right coach, that program could be very good.

But... as it currently stands, it's not a better gig.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »
But what else can they hang their hats on??? Conference affiliation is all they have. Their football and basketball programs have never been relevant.

Their women's hockey team went 41-0 this year.

feedback