collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199573 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #650 on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
So just to get the lineage right ...

Dany is Jon's aunt?

yes

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #651 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
This is a repost from Reddit, but it is exactly how I feel about the entire Winterfell subplot.

"Ok, so I guess the Stark girls were just acting like they had turned against one another in order to fool Littlefinger. What I don't understand is why. Why did they have to fool Littlefinger in the first place? What purpose did that serve? They had Bran and, presumably, all the evidence they needed against Littlefinger already, so why not just drag him out, expose his crimes, and execute him? Why did they have to do all that acting in front of him? In the end, all they did was accuse him of a bunch of stuff, which he simply denies. Then they just killed him anyway without actually producing any evidence to prove him wrong. I don't get the point of any of this. Someone please explain."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #652 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
I agree with others that it wasn't the "Stark way" when Sansa handed down the sentence and Arya swung the sword. But I think the scene was supposed to emphasize that both characters had reached the pinnacle of their roles. Sansa as the lady and Arya as the warrior.

It may also have something to do with Arya being a faceless man. If she kills Littlefinger, she can assume his identity. If Sansa does it, I don't think Arya can use his face.
Is that correct?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #653 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
This is a repost from Reddit, but it is exactly how I feel about the entire Winterfell subplot.

"Ok, so I guess the Stark girls were just acting like they had turned against one another in order to fool Littlefinger. What I don't understand is why. Why did they have to fool Littlefinger in the first place? What purpose did that serve? They had Bran and, presumably, all the evidence they needed against Littlefinger already, so why not just drag him out, expose his crimes, and execute him? Why did they have to do all that acting in front of him? In the end, all they did was accuse him of a bunch of stuff, which he simply denies. Then they just killed him anyway without actually producing any evidence to prove him wrong. I don't get the point of any of this. Someone please explain."

I would imagine you don't want to give someone that devious any kind of inkling of what may be coming. And I imagine the appearance of how it went down matters in terms of the Lords of the Vale.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #654 on: August 28, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »
I would imagine you don't want to give someone that devious any kind of inkling of what may be coming. And I imagine the appearance of how it went down matters in terms of the Lords of the Vale.

Plus, it was more dramatic this way. They got to take their viewing audience for a little bit of a ride.

This just in: It's still a TV show, still entertainment.

I liked it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #655 on: August 28, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »

I think this is overthinking it.  I think the scene involving Arya/Sansa was just incredibly poorly scripted.  I think that is how it was supposed to be viewed, them turning on each other, because they were turning on each other (even though it isn't very logical). 

I think the big turning point in the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger battle royale came this episode when Littlefinger was playing his game.  In the middle of it Littlefinger asks the question of "Why she would have the letter".  At that point, the only ones who knew of the letter emerging were Sansa and Arya.  By asking that question he kind of tips her off that he was behind all of it, as the only way he could know of the letter is if he unearthed it.

Also, by posing the answer that Arya wants to kill her to become her, he actually defeats his own story.  If Arya wanted to kill Sansa to become her, she had her opportunity when they were in the room together.  She could have killed Sansa there, took her face and ruled as Sansa.  She didn't, she actually handed the dagger to Sansa, which meant that wasn't her purpose. Arya didn't want to kill her.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #656 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
I think this is overthinking it.  I think the scene involving Arya/Sansa was just incredibly poorly scripted.  I think that is how it was supposed to be viewed, them turning on each other, because they were turning on each other (even though it isn't very logical). 

I think the big turning point in the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger battle royale came this episode when Littlefinger was playing his game.  In the middle of it Littlefinger asks the question of "Why she would have the letter".  At that point, the only ones who knew of the letter emerging were Sansa and Arya.  By asking that question he kind of tips her off that he was behind all of it, as the only way he could know of the letter is if he unearthed it.

Also, by posing the answer that Arya wants to kill her to become her, he actually defeats his own story.  If Arya wanted to kill Sansa to become her, she had her opportunity when they were in the room together.  She could have killed Sansa there, took her face and ruled as Sansa.  She didn't, she actually handed the dagger to Sansa, which meant that wasn't her purpose. Arya didn't want to kill her.

Very good point

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #657 on: August 29, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »

I agree it's poorly scripted, but so much so that it's hard to even analyze whether it makes sense. It's not even totally clear which interactions were performative and which were authentic. The one with the two of them in the room is especially confusing to me. If it's performative, who are they performing for? If not, then Arya really does seem to have a dangerous relationship to Sansa (which then seems to be undone in the Littlefinger trial scene).

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #658 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »

Would Sansa have known the significance of the blade when Arya handed it to her?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #659 on: August 29, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
Very good point

For the book folks, what is your honest gut thinking Martin will do to wrap this thing up?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »

Again ... stupid me ... I enjoyed it!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
I very much agree with this take:

This season of Game Of Thrones was illogical, dumb, and fun as hell

This season of Game Of Thrones was a fast-paced, wildly fun ride filled with huge battle sequences, long-awaited reunions, thrilling team-ups, and some of the most memorable deaths in the series’ history.

This season of Game Of Thrones was a knowingly rushed, ludicrously implausible bit of fan service, filled with improbable character alliances that seemed like they were lifted from some multiplayer video game, romances that felt like direct pandering to “shippers,” and some of the least surprising ends for the most relatively disposable characters left in a show that’s rapidly running out of major players to kill.

These statements sum up the general sentiments on either side of the drama’s polarizing seventh season—and I agree with both of them. This season was breakneck, sloppy, and occasionally downright stupid. It was also a lot of fun.

http://www.avclub.com/this-season-of-game-of-thrones-was-illogical-dumb-and-1798505721?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=tuesdayAM

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #662 on: August 29, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »

This season of Game Of Thrones was a fast-paced, wildly fun ride filled with huge battle sequences, long-awaited reunions, thrilling team-ups, and some of the most memorable deaths in the series’ history.

This season of Game Of Thrones was a knowingly rushed, ludicrously implausible bit of fan service, filled with improbable character alliances that seemed like they were lifted from some multiplayer video game, romances that felt like direct pandering to “shippers,” and some of the least surprising ends for the most relatively disposable characters left in a show that’s rapidly running out of major players to kill.

These statements sum up the general sentiments on either side of the drama’s polarizing seventh season—and I agree with both of them. This season was breakneck, sloppy, and occasionally downright stupid. It was also a lot of fun.

http://www.avclub.com/this-season-of-game-of-thrones-was-illogical-dumb-and-1798505721?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=tuesdayAM

I agree with this too.  I think everyone here has said they enjoyed this season, some (like me) have just been critical of the parts that were not done well. 

I think this is a bit of the constant battle between art/entertainment.  Film as an art is something that I am passionate about, I haven't worked in that arena, but I have many friends who have and even have friends who have worked on GOT.  From them I've learned how to critique theater and film.  I greatly appreciated film done well as an art form. 

But Film is also entertainment, and often what is technically well done as art, and was is pure entertainment are not one and the same. 

What made GOT unique is that it was exceptionally well crafted as art, and was exceptionally entertaining.  Someone like me could watch the show and be purely entertained and go back and watch it for its technical precision.  This season, that technical aspect as exceptionality as art has kind of been lost in some episodes, but it retains the pure entertainment/fan service aspects. 

The equivalent but opposite (in my abilities) is art.  A painting to me is only valuable if I look at it and think its cool, I have zero concern over it being original, unique or even well done.  What I like in art has zero to do with technical precision.  I hate most modern art.  IMO that doesn't make me dumb (nor does it makes someone stupid if they don't see problems in GOT), it just means that art to me serves a different purpose...entertainment.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #663 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
For the book folks, what is your honest gut thinking Martin will do to wrap this thing up?

I just started AGOT again this morning and plan to read all five again. Hopefully when I'm wrapping up, we get The Winds of Winter so I can just keep going. As far as expectations...

1) Valonqar Prophecy comes true: Cersei will die before her child is born. The Prophecy said her husband would have 16 children and she would have 3. She already had Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, so #4 never gets born. It will either be the guise of Tyrion or Jamie that kills her. I strongly suspect it will be Arya using Jamie's face. I think Tyrion is too obvious from the start and Jamie is the one she would allow to get close enough to her to kill her. That will leave the Iron Throne vacant for...
2) Tyrion turns traitor: I believe Tyrion is Daenaerys' third treason. I think he is setting Dany and Jon up, and secretly loves Dany and feels jealousy now that Jon is in the picture. I think he betrays them, but before he can deliver them to Cersei, she dies, which opens up the Iron Throne for the next Lannister in line, which just happens to be Tyrion.
3) King Tyrion Targaryean: Tyrion turns out to be the bastard of King Aerys II Targaryean. This not only allows him to claim the Iron Throne as the next Lannister, but solidify his claim by stating he is the eldest surviving Targaryean. I do think he will initially help in the Great War against the Night King, but will oppose Jon and Dany after the Night King is defeated.
4) Bran is the Night King: The penultimate battle will be the Great War with Jon riding Rhaegal and Dany astride Drogon. At some point, it will be revealed that Bran's consciousness has been in the Night King all along. Just too much evidence, and the show has certainly pointed to it. Jon will learn this before his final battle with the Night King. I do think Lady Stoneheart and Gregor Clegane will both have major parts to play in the Great War.
5) Someone will replace the Night King: I don't think it will be Jon or Dany, but I do think the Army of the Dead will march back North to rest for 8,000 more years. Maybe one of the already undead, like Stoneheart or the Mountain, maybe the current body of young Bran Stark, maybe Arya, I'm not sure. The Jon theory makes the most sense, but I think he ends up in King's Landing.
6) The last "Big Bad" will be King Tyrion: After the Great War, I think Jon and Dany (married by then) will go to war with King Tyrion for the Iron Throne. Ultimately, I do think Jon sits on the Iron Throne, fulfilling Dany's vision from the House of the Undying.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »

I think it is a typical last/next to last season on great shows. Much, much better than most shows.

There are lots of things that need to be tied up and not enough time - so some of them just need to be done for convenience.

Overall, this season was as enjoyable as any of the first six.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #665 on: August 29, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
So just to get the lineage right ...

Dany is Jon's aunt?

To tie it all together:

Daenerys older brother was Rhaegar, Jon's father.  Rhaegar had already been killed by Robert Baratheon when Jon was born in Dorne.

After Rhaegar was killed, Mad King Aerys' pregnant wife (Rhaegar, Viserys, and Daenery's mother) was evacuated to Dragonstone with Viserys.  After Robert took the Iron Throne, he sent Stannis to take Dragonstone.  Shortly before this, the queen had died giving birth to Daenerys.  A Targaryen loyalist had gotten Viserys and Daenerys across the Narrow Sea by the time Stannis got to Dragonstone.

So Jon - born in Dorne to Rhaegar (already dead) and Lyanna (died in childbirth), Daenerys born on Dragonstone to Aerys (already dead) and Queen Rhaella (died in childbirth).  Making Daenerys aunt, Jon nephew, though unlike most nephews, Jon is a few months older.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #666 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
I just started AGOT again this morning and plan to read all five again. Hopefully when I'm wrapping up, we get The Winds of Winter so I can just keep going. As far as expectations...

1) Valonqar Prophecy comes true: Cersei will die before her child is born. The Prophecy said her husband would have 16 children and she would have 3. She already had Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, so #4 never gets born. It will either be the guise of Tyrion or Jamie that kills her. I strongly suspect it will be Arya using Jamie's face. I think Tyrion is too obvious from the start and Jamie is the one she would allow to get close enough to her to kill her. That will leave the Iron Throne vacant for...
2) Tyrion turns traitor: I believe Tyrion is Daenaerys' third treason. I think he is setting Dany and Jon up, and secretly loves Dany and feels jealousy now that Jon is in the picture. I think he betrays them, but before he can deliver them to Cersei, she dies, which opens up the Iron Throne for the next Lannister in line, which just happens to be Tyrion.
3) King Tyrion Targaryean: Tyrion turns out to be the bastard of King Aerys II Targaryean. This not only allows him to claim the Iron Throne as the next Lannister, but solidify his claim by stating he is the eldest surviving Targaryean. I do think he will initially help in the Great War against the Night King, but will oppose Jon and Dany after the Night King is defeated.
4) Bran is the Night King: The penultimate battle will be the Great War with Jon riding Rhaegal and Dany astride Drogon. At some point, it will be revealed that Bran's consciousness has been in the Night King all along. Just too much evidence, and the show has certainly pointed to it. Jon will learn this before his final battle with the Night King. I do think Lady Stoneheart and Gregor Clegane will both have major parts to play in the Great War.
5) Someone will replace the Night King: I don't think it will be Jon or Dany, but I do think the Army of the Dead will march back North to rest for 8,000 more years. Maybe one of the already undead, like Stoneheart or the Mountain, maybe the current body of young Bran Stark, maybe Arya, I'm not sure. The Jon theory makes the most sense, but I think he ends up in King's Landing.
6) The last "Big Bad" will be King Tyrion: After the Great War, I think Jon and Dany (married by then) will go to war with King Tyrion for the Iron Throne. Ultimately, I do think Jon sits on the Iron Throne, fulfilling Dany's vision from the House of the Undying.

So you plan to finish your reread of A Dance With Dragons somewhere in 2025?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #667 on: August 29, 2017, 04:18:27 PM »
So you plan to finish your reread of A Dance With Dragons somewhere in 2025?

I think we'll see ADWD by next year at the latest. But I think 2025 is about right for A Dream of Spring. And I'll probably re-read it all again before that one comes out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #668 on: August 29, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
I think we'll see ADWD by next year at the latest. But I think 2025 is about right for A Dream of Spring. And I'll probably re-read it all again before that one comes out.

They gonna invent a cure for heart disease by 2025, Martin ain't looking too good these days.

As for the books/show... I'm curious, if or how these last two seasons of the show will impact Martin and his writing. I'm not all that familiar with the writing side of things, but has Martin stated he has a framework or outline of how the story ends, or more open ended based on where his brain takes him?

On the Ringer podcast, they had stated and I found interesting that when started GoT, he was partly motivated by making sooooo in depth that it could not get adapted for the screen.

Has he been generally supportive of Benioff and Weiss?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #669 on: August 29, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
They gonna invent a cure for heart disease by 2025, Martin ain't looking too good these days.

As for the books/show... I'm curious, if or how these last two seasons of the show will impact Martin and his writing. I'm not all that familiar with the writing side of things, but has Martin stated he has a framework or outline of how the story ends, or more open ended based on where his brain takes him?

On the Ringer podcast, they had stated and I found interesting that when started GoT, he was partly motivated by making sooooo in depth that it could not get adapted for the screen.

Has he been generally supportive of Benioff and Weiss?

Yes he told them the ending, but tested them to see if they were actually fans before green lighting the series.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #670 on: August 29, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »

I disagree with many of your predictions.

1.  Cersei dies during childbirth/still born.  Prophecy is fulfilled as the birth that kills her is because of her little brother.  Other possibilities are Euron (little brother to Balon).  I don't think it will be as obvious as Jaime or Tyrion.

2.  Although I won't rule out a Tyrion betrayal of Dany because of Jon, I think it highly unlikely.  Dany was already romantically involved with other instead of Tyrion and he stood by her.  It would be way out of character to betray her at this point.  Frankly with how its been scripted so far, Tyrion setting up Jon/Dany would be insanely stupid. 

3.  Tyrion may become King, but not by betrayal and not because of him being a bastard.  If he was a bastard he would still have the weakest claim to the throne.  Gendry actually has a stronger claim.  I think it may be Tyrion because Dany realizes she never actually wanted the throne, rather she wanted to be home.  I think she essentially retires to the home with the red door she left as a kid.  Jon goes back to winterfell or the wall and Jon and Dany's kid rules Westeros with Tyrion as the proxy king until he becomes of age.

4.  I agree with you.

5.  I don't think that will happen.  It would be very dumb if it is Jon.

6.  Don't like that set up.  See above.  I think it more likely that the Golden Company claims the throne or Euron (leading the Golden Company).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #671 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »
To tie it all together:

Daenerys older brother was Rhaegar, Jon's father.  Rhaegar had already been killed by Robert Baratheon when Jon was born in Dorne.

After Rhaegar was killed, Mad King Aerys' pregnant wife (Rhaegar, Viserys, and Daenery's mother) was evacuated to Dragonstone with Viserys.  After Robert took the Iron Throne, he sent Stannis to take Dragonstone.  Shortly before this, the queen had died giving birth to Daenerys.  A Targaryen loyalist had gotten Viserys and Daenerys across the Narrow Sea by the time Stannis got to Dragonstone.

So Jon - born in Dorne to Rhaegar (already dead) and Lyanna (died in childbirth), Daenerys born on Dragonstone to Aerys (already dead) and Queen Rhaella (died in childbirth).  Making Daenerys aunt, Jon nephew, though unlike most nephews, Jon is a few months older.

Thanks for this, chapman. Great info.

So whose incest baby will be born next: Dany/Jon's or Cersei/Jaime's?!?!?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #672 on: August 30, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »

I'm not a book reader, can you elaborate on Lady Stoneheart?  From Google it appears she is the reincarnated Catelyn Stark?  From what I remember this isn't in the shows at all.  And also do you think these characters will have major roles because they are possibly already "undead" themselves?  I sure hope Gregor Clegane has some big role because I've been waiting for him to be unleashed ever since he was turned by Qyburn.  Every time I think he is going to lay waste to a few people, he gets pulled back.  One of these times he has to actually pull his sword instead of just stepping in front of people.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #673 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
I'm not a book reader, can you elaborate on Lady Stoneheart?  From Google it appears she is the reincarnated Catelyn Stark?  From what I remember this isn't in the shows at all.  And also do you think these characters will have major roles because they are possibly already "undead" themselves?  I sure hope Gregor Clegane has some big role because I've been waiting for him to be unleashed ever since he was turned by Qyburn.  Every time I think he is going to lay waste to a few people, he gets pulled back.  One of these times he has to actually pull his sword instead of just stepping in front of people.

Not a book reader as well, but I did some reading on Lady Stoneheart when she started popping up in theories this season.

In the books, one of the direwolves pulls Catelyn Stark's body from the river after the Red Wedding.  Beric Donderrian brings her back to life basically giving his life for hers and she becomes the leader of the Brotherhood and basically goes on a revenge killing spree.

Now, obviously Beric is still alive and well, fighting with Jon and the gang in the tv show, so that plot won't necessarily hold up.  However, viewers have supposedly seen Lady Stoneheart walking around Winterfell in background shots, so who knows.  They'd have to tweak the plot obviously.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #674 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »

I mean, who knows, but the director of the season finale seems to think that's unlikely. Also, wouldn't Jamie be next in the Lannister line?

So what everyone is wondering about is what we should read into Tyrion’s expression as he stands outside Dany’s room while she and Jon are having sex inside. He definitely looks apprehensive, but are we meant to see jealousy as well?

Well I think there’s jealousy, but it’s maybe not romantic jealousy, in the way that it is for Jorah, for example. I think that for Tyrion, it’s more complicated. I think he has a very special relationship with Dany and he really believes in her as a true leader and has invested a lot in her. I think for him, with Jon and Dany getting together, this represents a possible undermining of his position with her and also a monkey wrench thrown into what the master plan really is meant to be around this entire alliance. The way I see it is Tyrion is a bit of a strategist—not just a bit of a strategist, he is a major strategist—and I think now, he can’t see where this is gonna go and that’s very difficult for someone who is always thinking three steps ahead. The consequences of Dany and Jon getting together are completely unknown. Is she gonna make decisions now based on this new relationship? Is she gonna be able to separate her personal [interests] from the interests of the greater group? What is this going to foretell for the alliance and what they’re all meant to do as a united front? So I think the worry for him is that now, everything is up for grabs. We don’t really know who’s going to side with who, what’s gonna happen at the end of the day, and which alliances are going to be the strongest.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/game-of-thrones-finale-director-no-romantic-jealousy-in-tyrions-reaction-to-jon-and-danys-boat-sex?via=twitter_page

feedback