collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199489 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:06 PM »
I loved that entire scene with Daenerys. All the talk about how everybody was going to f--- her, including the horses, and then she burns them all to a crisp, emerging from the flames in her birthday suit. A really incredible several minutes.

I thought a ton happened in the episode and enjoyed it immensely.

+1

brandx

« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2016, 10:46:31 PM »
I loved that entire scene with Daenerys. All the talk about how everybody was going to f--- her, including the horses, and then she burns them all to a crisp, emerging from the flames in her birthday suit. A really incredible several minutes.

I thought a ton happened in the episode and enjoyed it immensely.

I agree.

I think the early season episodes are the best since season one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
I swear I read somewhere that she was done doing nude scenes.   

She's the only actress on the show that has a clause that she doesn't have to do nude scenes. I imagine that just means she has full right to refuse if she doesn't feel comfortable with it.

Really thought that was a body double when watching, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2016, 06:25:08 AM »
So now we know what 'Hodor' means.    We know the rabid zombie ice army is baaaaadddddd.  I think I see how this all has to end, but every time I have thought that before some particularly gruesome death has occurred.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
Spent 45 minutes getting hyped that the Blackfish is finally returning.  Then...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
Pretty interesting chapter. This season has really moved the plot along. Do we really know Hodor is gone? Will Arya truly become a faceless person? Littlefinger is now in Sansa's dog house. Sad to see another wolf die. Where will the Ironborn civil war lead to. Will Dany be happy with a Red Priestess in charge of Mereen?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 23, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »
Pretty interesting chapter. This season has really moved the plot along. Do we really know Hodor is gone? Will Arya truly become a faceless person? Littlefinger is now in Sansa's dog house. Sad to see another wolf die. Where will the Ironborn civil war lead to. Will Dany be happy with a Red Priestess in charge of Mereen?

Plus, you will now have dueling Red Priestesses who believe they have found 'the one'.    (Cue Gaelic Storm Song "Don't go for the one")
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 23, 2016, 11:13:32 AM »
Plus, you will now have dueling Red Priestesses who believe they have found 'the one'.    (Cue Gaelic Storm Song "Don't go for the one")

+1 for the gaelic storm reference. 

Wondering if the two red priestesses believing they've found the one is foreshadowing a Dany Jon marriage?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
OK ... I'm missing something here.

I've seen every episode but something has slipped my mind, and it was such a big part of last night's episode that my lack of knowledge (or poor memory) affected my enjoyment of it.

Why do the white walkers so desperately want Bran dead? Is he now "infected" with something white-walker related? And who were all the little people trying to protect him (and why)?

I know, I know. Roseanne Roseannadanna would say I ask a lot of questions. I'm a big fan of GoT but not one who studies every nuance and, obviously, not one who remembers every detail!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #284 on: May 23, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »

I've seen every episode but something has slipped my mind, and it was such a big part of last night's episode that my lack of knowledge (or poor memory) affected my enjoyment of it.

Why do the white walkers so desperately want Bran dead? Is he now "infected" with something white-walker related? And who were all the little people trying to protect him (and why)?

I know, I know. Roseanne Roseannadanna would say I ask a lot of questions. I'm a big fan of GoT but not one who studies every nuance and, obviously, not one who remembers every detail!

Here's a pretty good explanation.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/22/11740486/game-of-thrones-white-walker-other-wight

MU82

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
Here's a pretty good explanation.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/22/11740486/game-of-thrones-white-walker-other-wight

Thanks, brand. That was very useful.

And I feel good that I missed/misunderstood less than I thought. It seems lots of folks have lots of questions about the White Walkers, Bran's involvement, etc.

On to the next episode!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #286 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »

Thoughts...
  • Figure Hodor is really gone. Pretty traumatic way to go, and while an interesting character, not one important enough to keep around. Loved the twist that it was Bran's visits to the past that triggered Hodor's seizure and mental trauma that took away his speech, so that Bran essentially created the circumstance that made Hodor so tragic, while all along Hodor dedicated his life (and death) to protecting Bran and keeping him safe.
  • I don't think Arya will become a Faceless. No matter how many times she says it, a girl is not no one, and that was never more clearly evident than when she watched the play. My guess is she will leave the Temple of the Many Faced God by the end of this season.
  • Love seeing Littlefinger live at Sansa's whim, but I'm guessing she's (another) one that will regret letting him live.
  • So the only two wolves left are Ghost and Nymeria, correct? Ghost is with Jon, Nymeria (Arya's wolf) was freed and presumably is wandering between the Riverlands and The Reach, leading a host of other wolves? One interesting thought...might Summer come back as a white walker? That would be one badass confrontation, Bran having to battle the undead direwolf that once protected him.
  • Euron Greyjoy is far too arrogant to hold his rule. No idea what will come of Asha/Yara and Theon, guessing they'll end up joining up with the Starks, but the idea of Euron forcing Dany to be his bride is just laughable. We all see how that worked out for the Dothraki Khals...
  • At some point Dany has to leave Mereen. Hopefully Tyrion is paving the way for this.
Maybe, but not necessarily. Perhaps the one they are looking for is just one bloodline, which is the Targaryens. I'm working on the assumption that Dany (as we know) is daughter of Aerys II and Jon is her nephew, being the son of Rhaegar Targaryen (Dany's eldest brother) and Lyanna Stark. Perhaps the ones the Red Priests are looking for are simply the Targaryen descendants.

I also wouldn't rule out BagpipingBoxer's idea of Jon and Danaerys hooking up or even getting married. Not like it'd be the first Tarygaryen inbred wedding.

Good article shared by brand. A few personal thoughts...the Three-Eyed Raven clearly had power that he could use against the White Walkers. He mentioned in this past episode that he was going to pass his lineage on to Bran. Now Bran has that power (though probably not as powerful or effective yet) and responsibility. The impression I get is that Bran is basically the most powerful of the skinchangers.

In the past, Martin has said there are basically four "safe" characters, two male and two female. My guess was those four were Jon, Danaerys, Tyrion, and Arya. Watching this develop, it certainly feels like Bran and Sansa might be making a case to be included in that mix, or supplanting the latter two. I love the development of this from season one. Thinking of what Jon, Arya, Bran, and Sansa have become, all powerful in their own right, thinking of Dany being the scared little girl married off to Khal Drogo, Tyrion going from clever, whoring drunken imp to political powerhouse.

Loved this past episode, though I can't help but think Sansa may ultimately die at Littlefinger's hand. So often, he has been allowed to live. He's probably the most dangerous character in all these books. Virtually every death and string pulled in Westeros was pulled by him.

Oh...one more interesting thing I read this week. Because of the death of Myrcella, there is now no clear heir to the Iron Throne were Tommen to die. As all of Cersei's offsprings' deaths have been foretold, have to figure this spineless one isn't long for this world either. Anyway...Myrcella's death leaves no heir, which means kicking back up the family tree. As Stannis and Renly have both died, there are no Baratheons at all who could claim the Iron Throne legitimately, so the claim falls to the Lannisters. Because Jamie is Kingsguard, he has forsaken his claim to the Throne, and Tyrion's crimes would likely discount him as well.

All this means the current lawful heir to the Iron Throne is...Cersei Lannister! Kind of makes you wonder if she might figure it out and off Tommen herself for the power. If there's anyone who could outdo the Mad King, Cersei might be it...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 24, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
Wow brewski ... you get to wear the crown as king of GoT info providers!

Lots of interesting stuff in there, especially relating to Bran, a character whose situation has gone over my head a few times. This brings some clarity. It certainly looks like he's being set up to be a very, very powerful being.

Near the end of the episode, Bran's arm was glowing, as if he had been touched or "infected" by the White Walkers - at least that's how I interpreted it. What say ye?

After having read your very thorough analysis and the article brand posted, I think I will re-watch this last episode. Should help me see it more clearly.

brandx

« Reply #288 on: May 24, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
Thoughts...
  • Figure Hodor is really gone. Pretty traumatic way to go, and while an interesting character, not one important enough to keep around. Loved the twist that it was Bran's visits to the past that triggered Hodor's seizure and mental trauma that took away his speech, so that Bran essentially created the circumstance that made Hodor so tragic, while all along Hodor dedicated his life (and death) to protecting Bran and keeping him safe.

Very good post, Brew. The only thing I would disagree with is the bolded statement. As we have seen, several characters that we thought were very important no longer exist.[/list]

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #289 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
Very good post, Brew. The only thing I would disagree with is the bolded statement. As we have seen, several characters that we thought were very important no longer exist.

I more meant that they don't often go out of their way to save people. Thus far, the resurrection list is limited mostly to Jon Snow and Beric Dondarrion. I suppose if you include the books, there's a case for Catelyn Stark, Gregor Clegane, and possibly Sandor Clegane. But my guess is they'll let Hodor's sacrifice be one last great memory of him, especially considering there's been literature this week saying that it was one of the three big "shock" moments GRRM told the producers about and that Hodor's death will be included in The Winds of Winter.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:43 AM »
I haven't watched any of this season yet but have been following this thread. I read this review of the latest episode and am curious if this is accurate:

This past week's show is a perfect example of how GOT is still brought down to typical television quality. After last week's great ending, this week they end it on another stupid repetitive Xena: Warrior Princess troop speech acting like anyone gives a crap about a giant obviously fake CG dragon flying in. The shots of the troops getting riled up were unnatural carnal knowledgeing awful. Put that crap in half way through, but to end the show like that is unforgivable. They did that crap a few seasons ago with her freeing the slaves. It's cheesy as crap, made only worse by her speaking in some made up language so you are having to read subtitles. It's like watching Xena, Hercules, or Army of Darkness attempt to not be cheesy or campy but failing.

All the plot holes and continuity errors throughout the past few episodes is a sign of the show struggling to keep the storylines straight. So the queen has been ousted for another heir by her troops... oh look she escaped with all the ships, her brother, and thousands of other troops who apparently ignored the other troops that decided against her with no explanation of how or why. Now her cousin that ousted her is going to have a few dozen troops build a thousand ships on an island with no trees in sight. And instead of her using the thousands of troops to just overthrow and kill the few dozen that revolted against her, she instead sails away to fight them later on once they've grown stronger in ships, men, and arms.

Oh, and by queen I mean the sister of the guy who got his d!ck cut off that she was unnatural carnal knowledgeing, not the queen that's the sister of the guy who got his hand cut off that she was unnatural carnal knowledgeing.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:55:03 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
I haven't watched any of this season yet but have been following this thread. I read this review of the latest episode and am curious if this is accurate:

This past week's show is a perfect example of how GOT is still brought down to typical television quality. After last week's great ending, this week they end it on another stupid repetitive Xena: Warrior Princess troop speech acting like anyone gives a crap about a giant obviously fake CG dragon flying in. The shots of the troops getting riled up were unnatural carnal knowledgeing awful. Put that crap in half way through, but to end the show like that is unforgivable. They did that crap a few seasons ago with her freeing the slaves. It's cheesy as crap, made only worse by her speaking in some made up language so you are having to read subtitles. It's like watching Xena, Hercules, or Army of Darkness attempt to not be cheesy or campy but failing.

All the plot holes and continuity errors throughout the past few episodes is a sign of the show struggling to keep the storylines straight. So the queen has been ousted for another heir by her troops... oh look she escaped with all the ships, her brother, and thousands of other troops who apparently ignored the other troops that decided against her with no explanation of how or why. Now her cousin that ousted her is going to have a few dozen troops build a thousand ships on an island with no trees in sight. And instead of her using the thousands of troops to just overthrow and kill the few dozen that revolted against her, she instead sails away to fight them later on once they've grown stronger in ships, men, and arms.

Oh, and by queen I mean the sister of the guy who got his d!ck cut off that she was unnatural carnal knowledgeing, not the queen that's the sister of the guy who got his hand cut off that she was unnatural carnal knowledgeing.

If you don't like it, don't watch?

brandx

« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »

One of the most worthless posts I have ever read here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »

Although I could have done with one less pep rally from the Khaleesi, I enjoyed the episode and have enjoyed the season.

You, on the other hand, have been spared the horrors of this season because you haven't watched it. But you nonetheless have formed an opinion of what you haven't watched.

Sounds like you should not watch this season, give up on GoT and find something you prefer.

Hopefully that something isn't drawing more conclusions on shows/movies/plays/concerts you haven't seen.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 02, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Although I could have done with one less pep rally from the Khaleesi, I enjoyed the episode and have enjoyed the season.

You, on the other hand, have been spared the horrors of this season because you haven't watched it. But you nonetheless have formed an opinion of what you haven't watched.

Sounds like you should not watch this season, give up on GoT and find something you prefer.

Hopefully that something isn't drawing more conclusions on shows/movies/plays/concerts you haven't seen.

Where did I "form an opinion/draw any conclusions"?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
Where did I "form an opinion/draw any conclusions"?

Maybe you should fix your OP.  It currently reads like the quote you're referencing is your opinion.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
Maybe you should fix your OP.  It currently reads like the quote you're referencing is your opinion.

I thought it was pretty clear but maybe now brandy etc. will find it clearer. I don't like using the quote box for that long of a quote because of the small text used.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
I thought it was pretty clear but maybe now brandy etc. will find it clearer. I don't like using the quote box for that long of a quote because of the small text used.

Understandable.  But don't hold it against them - that would be a pretty inflammatory opinion to have if you don't watch.

To your question:

I agree with the first point.  Dany got her big moment two episodes ago in an awesome ending.  The Khalasar are loyally following her to Mereen after that spectacle.  Why make them take a fealty oath in the middle of the journey just because Drogon showed up?  Feels unnecessary.  I thought the dramatic pause between scenes when Arya blew out her lantern for the night (after Jaqen gave the consent for her death) would have made a far better ending.

To the second point, it's fantasy.  It's a thousand pages condensed into 10 hours a season.  There's going to be gaps.  I can live with that.

To the third point, sib-on-sib action has been there from Day 1.  Let it go.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »

Oh...one more interesting thing I read this week. Because of the death of Myrcella, there is now no clear heir to the Iron Throne were Tommen to die. As all of Cersei's offsprings' deaths have been foretold, have to figure this spineless one isn't long for this world either. Anyway...Myrcella's death leaves no heir, which means kicking back up the family tree. As Stannis and Renly have both died, there are no Baratheons at all who could claim the Iron Throne legitimately, so the claim falls to the Lannisters. Because Jamie is Kingsguard, he has forsaken his claim to the Throne, and Tyrion's crimes would likely discount him as well.

All this means the current lawful heir to the Iron Throne is...Cersei Lannister! Kind of makes you wonder if she might figure it out and off Tommen herself for the power. If there's anyone who could outdo the Mad King, Cersei might be it...

Great stuff.  Didn't copy all of it, but wanted to comment on the last of this.  Particularly the prophesy and Cersei taking over the throne.  I don't think she survives to. 

I think Tommen's prophesized death was symbolic; he has now chosen to align with the Church, who punished his mother.  I think that is his symbolic death.

I think Cersei will now see her own demise at the hands of the church.  I am a proponent for an epic battle between "the mountain" and "the hound".  For reasons I won't go into, I don't think the hound is actually dead, but is aligned now with the Church.  I think the Church, choses "the hound" as its champion, who finally gets to get revenge against his brother.  Cersei then loses her trial by combat and is put to death...ironically because of her own child. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
Great stuff.  Didn't copy all of it, but wanted to comment on the last of this.  Particularly the prophesy and Cersei taking over the throne.  I don't think she survives to. 

I think Tommen's prophesized death was symbolic; he has now chosen to align with the Church, who punished his mother.  I think that is his symbolic death.

I think Cersei will now see her own demise at the hands of the church.  I am a proponent for an epic battle between "the mountain" and "the hound".  For reasons I won't go into, I don't think the hound is actually dead, but is aligned now with the Church.  I think the Church, choses "the hound" as its champion, who finally gets to get revenge against his brother.  Cersei then loses her trial by combat and is put to death...ironically because of her own child.

I can't remember the exact details/protocol behind the trial by combat, but I think it'd be a great decision if the Church could choose Jamie.

feedback