collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199473 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #950 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
I can just picture some of you in a book club... whenever someone questions why a writer made a decision that they made, suddenly you would bark at them asking why they'd dare question anything about the writing!

::)

You can enjoy entertainment while also discussing what you liked/didn't like.

Agreed.  I also don't think any "critics" here hated it.  Look at it this way, I'm gonna expect more out of a Christopher Nolan movie than I am the newest iteration of Fast and the Furious.  And I LOVE F&F movies.

Lets talk HBO further.  I don't sit and complain about plot holes, implausibilities, or story inconsistencies when I watch Ballers.  Its just a fun, entertaining, not too heavy show that serves its purpose well.

Hell, if the GoT seasons were all written by the writers and not based off books, the complaints would be far less.  The incredible source material and brilliant adaption of it is what made this show into one of the biggest of all time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #951 on: April 30, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »
I can just picture some of you in a book club... whenever someone questions why a writer made a decision that they made, suddenly you would bark at them asking why they'd dare question anything about the writing!

Can't speak for others, but I don't think I "barked" at anybody. Some might even say that the disappointed folks were doing more "barking."

I like discussion and I like different viewpoints, and I agree completely with your last sentence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #952 on: April 30, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
The plan was to use Bran as bait, lure the night king, and kill him.   The plan was accomplished.   They knew intellectually that it could be brutal.   And it was.    But in the end, it followed the plan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:48:43 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #953 on: April 30, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »

Agreed.  Sometimes it feels like people watch with the sole focus of nitpicking and complaining, especially if things didn't happen the way they wanted or expected.  Not necessarily referring to anyone here but that just feels so common now. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #954 on: April 30, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
Agreed.  Sometimes it feels like people watch with the sole focus of nitpicking and complaining, especially if things didn't happen the way they wanted or expected.  Not necessarily referring to anyone here but that just feels so common now.

lmao.  Whatever dude, I know where you're going with this.  At least your writing isn't as bad as the GOT staff on ep 3.   ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #955 on: April 30, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »
Melisandre was mostly an exposition character, but she had a great final episode.  If you couldn't figure it out on your own, you now know why Beric kept getting brought back from the dead, and she let everyone know that Arya is the one who was going to take care of NK, which actually was counterproductive for the episode. However, she was the impetus for Arya going after the Night King.  Plus she got the Dothraki sword fire going, and later got the fire moat (or whatever they called it) started when it appeared it would not happen.  Both times she gave the defenders of Winterfell (and the audience) hope, and both times the hope was dashed by two of the best visuals of the episode, the powerful Dothraki army being snuffed out so quickly and the wights lying over the fire to build a passageway through the fire. 

Probably a better final episode than she deserved after what she did to Stannis' daughter.

I thought her ending was pretty good.  She had questioned her faith before when she found out that Thoros was able to bring back Beric despite not really seeming like a true believer... Also, her failures with Stannis.  Her entire life was dedicated to this sequence of events, and you could see the doubt in her eyes when she was trying to light the trench and it wasn't working.  That was perfect writing, and great acting as well.  I'm not sure why she decided to walk off and die on her own though... hopefully, it was simply to bring balance, but hey whatever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #956 on: April 30, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
FWIW, the cinematographer has put some of the blame on HBO for the way it compressed the images.
Also, my TV handles blacks well, so I didn't find the episode too dark for my liking.

Same, the only problem I seemed to have was a drop in signal quality from time to time... We were streaming through Amazon's HBO app... so, it could have been that.  For sure wasn't my side.  Honestly, I think it would have been pretty cool to show the final season in theaters every week in addition to HBO doing direct to homes.  Leaks would have been nearly impossible to contain, but I think it would have added even more fanfare for those who don't have a great at home viewing experience.  I can't imagine trying to watch this episode on a 15" laptop screen.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #957 on: April 30, 2019, 08:33:05 PM »
Here is a good article that laments some of what I'm referring to.   It speaks of the changes to some of the most cunning and plot driving characters once the show writers no longer had Martin for source material.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/30/18522060/game-of-thrones-got-season-8-hbo-final-melisandre-tyrion-lannister-long-night-prophecies-tactics

This is exactly how I feel.  Great read.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #958 on: April 30, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »
lmao.  Whatever dude, I know where you're going with this.  At least your writing isn't as bad as the GOT staff on ep 3.   ;D

Where am I going with it?

Wasn't intended for you but it was completely predictable you responded to it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #962 on: May 03, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
I know that Ghost survived the long night. Although highly unlikely I wonder if Ghost and/or Nymeria kills Cersei as she was the one who ordered their sibling, Summer, executed by Ned Stark. Now that would be justice.

One can fantasize about a fantasy series.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #963 on: May 03, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
I know that Ghost survived the long night. Although highly unlikely I wonder if Ghost and/or Nymeria kills Cersei as she was the one who ordered their sibling, Summer, executed by Ned Stark. Now that would be justice.

One can fantasize about a fantasy series.

So not to go too far down the rabbithole on this, but there is/was a fan theory (encouraged by the Arya-Nymeria scene last season) where the wild direwolves and their regular wolf clan are like, their own force to be reckoned with. Most of that projected them to be a sort of natural anti-white walker, balance sort of thing, so I'm not sure if anyone has adapted the theory for them to play a major role in the war in the south for the throne. My guess is not, but who knows. I do know that if Benioff and Weiss were in the business of fan service to MUBurrow, Ghost would spend the next three episodes destroying worlds en route to the iron throne.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #965 on: May 04, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Re-watched the episode last night. A common complaint that I had read was people wondering how Ayra made it from where she was to attack the night king (which I didn't think was that hard to believe considering her skills and that she knew Winterfell inside and out). Another was why did Jon try to take on Viserion at the end, as he obviously would have had no chance.

Upon watching it again it sounds and looks like Jon is yelling "Go!!!". At that point I believe Viserion was guarding the NK. Jon catches sight of Ayra and yells "go" while he distracts the dragon. You can tell Ayra wasn't already hiding because a wisp of hair of one of the NK's commanders blows in the air as she runs by him to attack the NK.

If this in fact what happen it makes more sense to me.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #966 on: May 04, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
Re-watched the episode last night. A common complaint that I had read was people wondering how Ayra made it from where she was to attack the night king (which I didn't think was that hard to believe considering her skills and that she knew Winterfell inside and out). Another was why did Jon try to take on Viserion at the end, as he obviously would have had no chance.

Upon watching it again it sounds and looks like Jon is yelling "Go!!!". At that point I believe Viserion was guarding the NK. Jon catches sight of Ayra and yells "go" while he distracts the dragon. You can tell Ayra wasn't already hiding because a wisp of hair of one of the NK's commanders blows in the air as she runs by him to attack the NK.

If this in fact what happen it makes more sense to me.

I've seen this theory. Not sure I believe it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:01:15 AM by forgetful »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #967 on: May 04, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
I've seen this theory. Not sure I believe it.

Is it the whole thing or a portion you don't believe?  Have you rewatched that specific part I'm referring to? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #968 on: May 04, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »
Is it the whole thing or a portion you don't believe?  Have you rewatched that specific part I'm referring to?

I'm also in the camp of he wasn't yelling go. I think it's just fans trying to make sense of a ridiculously stupid scene.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #969 on: May 04, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »

I don't think the theory was necessary. Arya was in the Great Hall, it is close to the Godswood and multiple ways to get there, that wouldn't necessarily be difficult to navigate through. Especially since the Night King and his Wights attention were all on Bran.

It unnecessarily invokes Jon as the hero. Not to mention it would have been impossible for Jon to know that Arya was even there. That would be more ridiculous than Arya making it to the Godswood.

The one scene that makes no sense, is why was Jorah a quarter mile outside Winterfell, away from the fight, to magically save Dany.

The only rational way to explain some of those aspects, and it would have been cooler if they showed it, would have been if Bran was Warging into specific people to put them in the right places. Way cleaner, and give Bran purposes besides using some crows.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #970 on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm also in the camp of he wasn't yelling go. I think it's just fans trying to make sense of a ridiculously stupid scene.

YUUUUUUUUUUUP

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #971 on: May 04, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »
I don't think the theory was necessary. Arya was in the Great Hall, it is close to the Godswood and multiple ways to get there, that wouldn't necessarily be difficult to navigate through. Especially since the Night King and his Wights attention were all on Bran.

It unnecessarily invokes Jon as the hero. Not to mention it would have been impossible for Jon to know that Arya was even there. That would be more ridiculous than Arya making it to the Godswood.

The one scene that makes no sense, is why was Jorah a quarter mile outside Winterfell, away from the fight, to magically save Dany.

The only rational way to explain some of those aspects, and it would have been cooler if they showed it, would have been if Bran was Warging into specific people to put them in the right places. Way cleaner, and give Bran purposes besides using some crows.

They clearly showed Jorah earlier in the episode hear Dany's dragon and leave, clearly on the way to find her. Again, completely plausible. Have you watched a second time?

Quite possibly. Or that's what happened.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #972 on: May 05, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #973 on: May 05, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »
My guess for the next call back to season 1.

Cersei thinks she has won, by securing the Iron bank to pay the Golden Company. This is similar to Ned thinking he had won by securing Littlefinger to ensure that the Gold Cloaks, would be paid by Ned and the rightful heir.

Ned was betrayed by the purse (Littlefinger) and his golden army turned on him. Likewise, Cersei will be betrayed by the purse (The Iron Bank) and her golden army will turn on her.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #974 on: May 05, 2019, 12:47:53 AM »
I just watched it again. I don't think Jon yelled go, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I liked the episode, and loved the way Arya shattered the Night King.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson