collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199280 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #475 on: August 10, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
The only backstory you need on littlefinger is that, in a previous life, he was Baltimore mayor Tommy Carcetti!

Well done.

He tried to convince everyone he was a good guy in that show too.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #476 on: August 10, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
This is a recap of Leslie Jones's running commentary through the last episode.  It's a little long, but it is spectacularly funny all the way through.  Going forward, I want to watch all new GoT episodes at Leslie's place.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tvcrwTcA5iw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tvcrwTcA5iw</a>

Usually not a big fan of her schtick on SNL, its a bit trite, but this was far more natural and really funny.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #477 on: August 11, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »
Usually not a big fan of her schtick on SNL, its a bit trite, but this was far more natural and really funny.

Have you seen this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SQ44aQWnH4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SQ44aQWnH4I</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #478 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Have you seen this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SQ44aQWnH4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SQ44aQWnH4I</a>

Yea, didn't do much for me.  Not my cup of tea I guess.  I thought Dinkleage was much funnier than her.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #479 on: August 12, 2017, 05:28:17 AM »
Have you seen this?

I hope the camera operator was wearing safety gear.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #480 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »

On SNL, Jones is either shouting or struggling to find her cue cards.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #481 on: August 13, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
Littlefinger and Arya are headed for a showdown.    Way to pull the bastard son of Robert Baratheon out of a hat.    I'm not sure that the plan to go capture a single white walker is the best.   And am I the only one who thinks (1) The Baratheon bastard looks like a young Christian Bale, (2) The crew going out past the wall is reminiscent of the Magnificent 7?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #482 on: August 13, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
*Littlefinger and Sansa

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #483 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »
Littlefinger and Arya are headed for a showdown.    Way to pull the bastard son of Robert Baratheon out of a hat.    I'm not sure that the plan to go capture a single white walker is the best.   And am I the only one who thinks (1) The Baratheon bastard looks like a young Christian Bale, (2) The crew going out past the wall is reminiscent of the Magnificent 7?

Absolutely looks like Bale.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #484 on: August 14, 2017, 12:34:59 AM »
Absolutely looks like Bale.

Interestingly enough, I was really into a British show called Skins about 8-10 years ago.  Revolved around wild 17 year old teens in Bristol, but dealt with a lot of dark real life issues.  Both the actor who plays Gendry as well as the actress who plays Gilly were in the original main cast.  In addition to Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Lion, The Newsroom) and Nicholas Hoult (Beast from X Men, Mad Max).  One of the minor characters was the actor who played the lead in Get Out.  Pretty crazy success rate for launching young Brit actors.

Back on topic, very interesting to see Bronn playing both sides again.  Also, in my opinion, the Stannis storyline was boring and never that engaging, but since his demise, Davos has become one of my favorite characters.  His scenes with Gendry tonight were fantastic.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #485 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
With only 9 episodes left a new Littlefinger scheme has me pounding my head. His schtick has grown old on me.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #486 on: August 14, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »
A great episode.

The biggest revelation being that Jon Snow - rather than Dani - is the rightful heir to the iron throne.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #487 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
I used to be in the pro Danny Jon romance camp but it's getting played up like an Disney channel Jr high romance at this point. I'd honestly prefer it almost to be a begrudging political marriage over the doe eyed goodbyes and candle light cave art dates
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #488 on: August 14, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
A great episode.

The biggest revelation being that Jon Snow - rather than Dani - is the rightful heir to the iron throne.

And totally glossed over by Sam. As soon as Gilly was cut off I started screaming "No, that's huge, that's huge!" Rhaegar marrying Lyanna means Jon isn't a bastard and is the legitimate Targaryean heir, since Rhaegar would've been first in line after the Mad King.

At this point, I just want to see Arya go on a killing spree. Kill Littlefinger, Cersei, the Mountain, and anyone else left on the list. I keep feeling like somehow, when all is said and done, Cersei or her child will still be sitting on the Iron Throne.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #489 on: August 14, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
I used to be in the pro Danny Jon romance camp but it's getting played up like an Disney channel Jr high romance at this point. I'd honestly prefer it almost to be a begrudging political marriage over the doe eyed goodbyes and candle light cave art dates

I did really like Dany's moment with Jorah before said doe eyed goodbye though. That was a cool, loaded moment.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #490 on: August 14, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
And totally glossed over by Sam. As soon as Gilly was cut off I started screaming "No, that's huge, that's huge!" Rhaegar marrying Lyanna means Jon isn't a bastard and is the legitimate Targaryean heir, since Rhaegar would've been first in line after the Mad King.

At this point, I just want to see Arya go on a killing spree. Kill Littlefinger, Cersei, the Mountain, and anyone else left on the list. I keep feeling like somehow, when all is said and done, Cersei or her child will still be sitting on the Iron Throne.

I think it was intentionally downplayed although the interaction between Jon and the dragon should have shown Dani than Snow was a Targaryen.

As far as Cersei goes, my guess is that there will come a moment in the final season when she turns on Jamie and one of them will die.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Jamie has already killed one mad king for the good of the realm.    Just sayin'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #492 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
Jamie has already killed one mad king for the good of the realm.    Just sayin'.
You're quite prophetic (wink wink).

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #493 on: August 14, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »

I've had that same thought, Tower.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #494 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »

But to be fair to Sam, that really wouldn't be that big of a deal to him, right?  Since he has no inclination other than Jon Snow is Ned Stark's bastard.

Additionally, and I won't pretend to know this, especially in fictional realms, but would the son of a king's firstborn be further ahead in line rather than the king's daughter?  I'm guessing so, as why else would they drop that bit of knowledge in the episode. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
But to be fair to Sam, that really wouldn't be that big of a deal to him, right?  Since he has no inclination other than Jon Snow is Ned Stark's bastard.

Additionally, and I won't pretend to know this, especially in fictional realms, but would the son of a king's firstborn be further ahead in line rather than the king's daughter?  I'm guessing so, as why else would they drop that bit of knowledge in the episode.

If I'm reading it right, once the Mad King died, it would first go to Rhaegar. As he was dead, the lineage would follow him first, so any legitimate surviving children of Rhaegar would be the first heir. His line was exhausted because the Mountain killed Rhaegar's known wife, Elia Martell, and her children. Then it would go to Viserys (second born) and any of his children, then Dany (third born) and any of her children.

However, last night we learned that Rhaegar's marriage to Elia was annulled and he was presumably married to Lyanna Stark. That means the line of succession goes back to Rhaegar and any legitimate children he had. Because Jon is now a legitimate heir to Rhaegar, his claim would supersede any Dany has.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
If I'm reading it right, once the Mad King died, it would first go to Rhaegar. As he was dead, the lineage would follow him first, so any legitimate surviving children of Rhaegar would be the first heir. His line was exhausted because the Mountain killed Rhaegar's known wife, Elia Martell, and her children. Then it would go to Viserys (second born) and any of his children, then Dany (third born) and any of her children.

However, last night we learned that Rhaegar's marriage to Elia was annulled and he was presumably married to Lyanna Stark. That means the line of succession goes back to Rhaegar and any legitimate children he had. Because Jon is now a legitimate heir to Rhaegar, his claim would supersede any Dany has.

Gotcha, I haven't read any of the books and don't read a ton of other stuff about it, so I was unsure on the timing of deaths.

I thought Rhaegar was killed prior to the Mad King dying, so then it would go to Viserys and then Dany, instead of going down Rhaegar's line.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »
Gotcha, I haven't read any of the books and don't read a ton of other stuff about it, so I was unsure on the timing of deaths.

I thought Rhaegar was killed prior to the Mad King dying, so then it would go to Viserys and then Dany, instead of going down Rhaegar's line.

It's all semantic. Rhaegar was killed before the Mad King died, but as no Targaryean assumed the throne, I imagine any contention over the line would start once Cersei was removed from the Iron Throne. At that point, Jon is first in line. Will be interesting to see how that's handled.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »

I'm going to assume that much of this will not take place in the books, as it is largely unnecessary.  Targaryean's were allowed to take multiple wives, and did...including marrying two of their sisters.  Incest and polygamy were not a problem with the Targaryean kings.

So there would be no problem with Rhaegar taking a second wife.  And the idea of "annulment" probably didn't exist in their culture.  But since a lot of these back stories are not well developed in the show the "annulment" serves as a useful tool to prove Jon is the rightful heir.

Along these lines though, the concern about what the people would think of Cersei and Jamie's child is also overblown given the history of Targaryean's marrying within the family to keep the bloodline clean.  After all, Dany even says at one point that she always assumed she would marry Viserys.

Which makes me think they might not go there re. Dany/Jon as the history of this being accepted is not well developed on the show.

feedback