'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU releases schedule  (Read 23269 times)

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU releases schedule
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
This is a nice "academic" discussion, but if the Warriors only lose 4-6 games (including at least 2-3 wins in the BE tourney) all of the strength of schedule and quality road win talk goes away.  Because the top two teams in the BE are going to be no lower than 1-3 seeds no matter SOS or road wins or whether Tom Crean dresses in the GE costume at half time of the womens conference opener.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »
Mu dish these 16 teams are proving nothing.  You are saying Mu's weak OOC schedule will ultimately hurt or not help their seed.  The 16 teams you list only have 3-4 tough games listed.  So in other words they will have the same problem as MU.  I thought you were going to list teams that would have a stronger OOc schedule then MU?  yet you list 16 team with 3-4 tough games just like MU.  I dont get it.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 07:17:53 PM »
Just for comparison sake I'm going to throw UConn's schedule out there... it is strikingly similar. It's the nature of the big east

Assumption
Bryant
Coachers vs Cancer tournament (equivalent to Maui)
Gardner Webb
Florida A&M
Gonzaga
Northeastern
Quinnapec
Maine
@Central Florida (theres a doozie of an away game)
@Indiana (equivalent of Wisconsin)

So basically they have Gonzaga rather than UWM big deal.. very similar non conference schedule and they seem to do just fine every year

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 07:48:26 PM »
Harrison: Here is word for word, exactly what you said:

"Show me how many programs across the country will play  At UW and then LSU?OSU and then Duke or some other team on a Nuetral court??  How many other teams that are ranked in the preseoson will take on that type of challenge."

I don't know how else to put it. I researched it, and completely dismantled your argument. How many other teams that are ranked in the preseoson (preseason for everyone else) will take on this type of challenge you ask? Well, apparently a lot. If you think LSU/OSU are going to be any good this year, think again. I'd argue all of those teams top 3 OOC's are much better than Marquette. Just because it says "Wisconsin" or "Duke" on this jersey, don't think that they're going to be the same team from the previous years. This is arguably one of the weaker Duke squads in a few years. They're young and will be better later in the year, but they're not winning the ACC. Wisconsin will make the tourney this year, but if you think they're hangin' with Indiana and Mich St, let's make a wager on it.

UConn's sked is an interesting comparison. I agree it's similar, but with the Coaches vs Cancer being much stronger (UConn's going to get either Kentucky or Memphis, possibly even both, where we'll get a mediocre LSU or Ok St and a down Duke squad) and throwing in Gonzaga (MUCH better than UWM) and Indiana (much better than Wisconsin). The rest is a wash, agreed.

If MU takes care of business in the BE, they'll be fine, I've never said otherwise. Hell, if you read my original post, I said the BE sked works hugely in MU's favor. If MU struggles though, and finishes right around 20 wins, if you don't think this OOC will come back to haunt us, then let's talk again on March 16.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
MuDish:

I'm not saying our OOC is great, but it is comparable to a lot of other teams.  You originally stated that losing at UW would be terrible for our seed.  I disagree.  I think winning Maui and our Big East slate will be more than enough to make up for our "weak" OOC schedule.  Apparently, you don't feel this way.  I just don't see how adding a mid-level BCS school (say like Georgia or Iowa) adds much to our strength of schedule.  Agreee to disagree I guess.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 08:27:31 PM »
Harrison: Here is word for word, exactly what you said:

"Show me how many programs across the country will play  At UW and then LSU?OSU and then Duke or some other team on a Nuetral court??  How many other teams that are ranked in the preseoson will take on that type of challenge."

I don't know how else to put it. I researched it, and completely dismantled your argument. How many other teams that are ranked in the preseoson (preseason for everyone else) will take on this type of challenge you ask? Well, apparently a lot. If you think LSU/OSU are going to be any good this year, think again. I'd argue all of those teams top 3 OOC's are much better than Marquette. Just because it says "Wisconsin" or "Duke" on this jersey, don't think that they're going to be the same team from the previous years. This is arguably one of the weaker Duke squads in a few years. They're young and will be better later in the year, but they're not winning the ACC. Wisconsin will make the tourney this year, but if you think they're hangin' with Indiana and Mich St, let's make a wager on it.

UConn's sked is an interesting comparison. I agree it's similar, but with the Coaches vs Cancer being much stronger (UConn's going to get either Kentucky or Memphis, possibly even both, where we'll get a mediocre LSU or Ok St and a down Duke squad) and throwing in Gonzaga (MUCH better than UWM) and Indiana (much better than Wisconsin). The rest is a wash, agreed.

If MU takes care of business in the BE, they'll be fine, I've never said otherwise. Hell, if you read my original post, I said the BE sked works hugely in MU's favor. If MU struggles though, and finishes right around 20 wins, if you don't think this OOC will come back to haunt us, then let's talk again on March 16.

Alright compare away then......here is OK State's Non Conference schedule

Fri, Nov 02        Panhandle State       Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.          8:00 p.m.     

Tue, Nov 06     East Central    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      8:00 p.m.    

curve    spacer
  Fri, Nov 09     Prairie View A&M    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      8:30 p.m.    

Wed, Nov 14     North Texas    at Super Pit • Denton, Texas      7:00 p.m.    
   Cowboy Sports Network
curve    EA Sports Maui Invitational
  Mon, Nov 19     LSU    at Lahaina Civic Center • Maui, Hawaii      4:00 p.m.    
   ESPN2
  Tue, Nov 20     Marquette/Chaminade    at Lahaina Civic Center • Maui, Hawaii      TBA    
   ESPN/ESPNU
  Wed, Nov 21     To Be Determined    at Lahaina Civic Center • Maui, Hawaii      TBA    
   ESPN Network
curve    spacer
curve    Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series
  Sat, Dec 01     Washington    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      4:30 p.m.    
   ESPN
curve    spacer
  Wed, Dec 05     Texas A&M-Corpus Christi    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      7:00 p.m.    
   Cowboy Sports Network
  Sat, Dec 08     East Tennessee State    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      7:00 p.m.    
   Cowboy Sports Network
  Sat, Dec 15     Pittsburgh    at Peterson Events Center • Pittsburgh, Pa.      11:00 a.m.    
   ESPN
curve    O'Reilly All-College Classic
  Thu, Dec 20     Oral Roberts    at Ford Center • Oklahoma City, Okla.      6:00 p.m.    
   ESPN2
curve    spacer
  Sat, Dec 22     Texas-Arlington    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      2:00 p.m.    

Mon, Dec 31     Northwestern State    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      2:00 p.m.    

Wed, Jan 02     Texas-San Antonio    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      7:00 p.m.    

Mon, Jan 07     Rogers State    Gallagher-Iba Arena • Stillwater, Okla.      7:00 p.m.    
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
MUDISh
your point all along was how weak MU's OOc SOS was.  that it will "haunt" Mu and then quoted all the gurus to make your point.  My point was 1. it is no weaker than the other ranked teams or equal to. 2. it does not really matter since our OOC SOS would be no weaker we would be on equal OOc SOS soil come MArch.  Since then you have listed 16 teams that have about an equal OOc SOS than us.  Completely proving my point hat we will be on equal OOC SOS footing with the teams we will be competing for the top 4-5-6 seeds against.

Now if you listed 15-20  ranked teams with say 5-6-7 OOc games against top competion than I might say " he is right this will hurt this magical OOC SOS number and our final SOS too.  But nothing you have shown show that will be the case.  Therefore I stick by my original premises 1.  Who you play in November and December does not really matter. and 2. even if it did our schedule is no worse than our peers and 3. even if it was our BE schedule is so strong it more than makes up for it.

pretty simple really...and really do hope you are not a lawyer or a logic teacher either.

4everwarriors

• All American
Call It For What It Is
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:17 PM »
Crean makes the schedule, period. Loads up with pansies thereby assuring a 20 win season. Makes the tournament and keeps his name on the short list for upcoming head coaching jobs. Predictably loses the first game and fans bitch about getting BF'd as a 8 seed and we would have gone farther if DJ could only learn not to eat Mexican for his pre-game meal.
Reality sets in and some with a rational mind comment that the team has major talent short-coming issues, the coach is overrated and over-compensated, and all that matters is winning in March.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Call It For What It Is
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »
Crean makes the schedule, period. Loads up with pansies thereby assuring a 20 win season. Makes the tournament and keeps his name on the short list for upcoming head coaching jobs. Predictably loses the first game and fans bitch about getting BF'd as a 8 seed and we would have gone farther if DJ could only learn not to eat Mexican for his pre-game meal.
Reality sets in and some with a rational mind comment that the team has major talent short-coming issues, the coach is overrated and over-compensated, and all that matters is winning in March.

I guess that's what Al, Kevin, Mike and others did too....all you have to do is look at their schedules over the years.  Must be a Marquette tradition...oh and a tradition of about 95% of other major coaching positions.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »

I guess reality has not set in for you.  I'm not sure if you think Marquette is UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, or Kentucky; but I would say what Crean has done since he got here is nothing short or remarkable.....Final 4....3 players in the NBA.....DWade, DWade, DWade.....Helped get the "Al" built.....Helped get us into the Big East......One of the best records in the Big East over the past 2 seasons.

I don't know if you have unrealistic expectations or forget what Marquette's basketball program was like before Crean got here, but comments like these are just plain ridiculous.  

-Has Crean disappointed in the post season with exception to the Final Four?  Yes, he has.  
-Does he have the greatest half-court offense in the world? No, he doesn't.
-Is our schedule much different than any of the other top teams in the country?  No, it's not.
-Did Marquette have a top 20 strength of schedule at the end of last year?  Yes, they did.
-Do I think Crean is the greatest person in the world and defend him at every turn? No, I don't.
-Has he been a godsend for the Marquette basketball program?  Yes, he has.
-Are those constantly ripping Crean and forgetting he is the second best coach Marquette has ever had, either ignorant or just hell bent on ripping on Crean at every turn for some reason?  Yes, there are.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 05:51:16 AM »

I'm assuming that since your username has warriors in it you probably went to school during an era when Marquette was a national name.  I, however, went to marquette during the Deane years and those were some sorry years.  Sure we won 20 games and got into the NIT but we were never on national television as much nor did we ever have our coach bring in an event like college gameday or do a piece with Jay Bilas on how we run a screen and roll, no our biggest treat in the year was watching Marquette beat Cincinnati and that was about it.  Crean may not be the best coach in the country or in the history of our program but he has done soooo much more for this program that I think we often forget just how bad we had it no more than 8 years ago.  Did we ever land 3 top recruits in one year with Deane?  Were we ever in the mix for top 20 recruits?  Did we ever get national tv exposure like this during those years?  Did we ever compete with the level of competition in the Big East like we have the past 2 years?  The answer isn't no, rather it is HELL NO!  Sure we were on ESPN2 when the team reached the quarterfinals of the NIT in 96 or whatever but never at this level.  Get over one of the certainties in life...taxes, death, and top 25 teams will play cupcakes in preparation for their difficult conference schedules. (Both in football and basketball)  I don't know about you but I figure if we tune up for the Big East with some "organized scrimmages" we'll be able to get molded into a team that is ready for Big East play.  I don't recall getting a banner for winning our OOC Championship but I would like to be ready to win a Big East Conference Championship.

/rant off

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »
I'm assuming that since your username has warriors in it you probably went to school during an era when Marquette was a national name.  I, however, went to marquette during the Deane years and those were some sorry years.  Sure we won 20 games and got into the NIT but we were never on national television as much nor did we ever have our coach bring in an event like college gameday or do a piece with Jay Bilas on how we run a screen and roll, no our biggest treat in the year was watching Marquette beat Cincinnati and that was about it.  Crean may not be the best coach in the country or in the history of our program but he has done soooo much more for this program that I think we often forget just how bad we had it no more than 8 years ago.  Did we ever land 3 top recruits in one year with Deane?  Were we ever in the mix for top 20 recruits?  Did we ever get national tv exposure like this during those years?  Did we ever compete with the level of competition in the Big East like we have the past 2 years?  The answer isn't no, rather it is HELL NO!  Sure we were on ESPN2 when the team reached the quarterfinals of the NIT in 96 or whatever but never at this level.  Get over one of the certainties in life...taxes, death, and top 25 teams will play cupcakes in preparation for their difficult conference schedules. (Both in football and basketball)  I don't know about you but I figure if we tune up for the Big East with some "organized scrimmages" we'll be able to get molded into a team that is ready for Big East play.  I don't recall getting a banner for winning our OOC Championship but I would like to be ready to win a Big East Conference Championship.

brilliant post.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »

brilliant post.

Co-sign.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »

/rant off

you pretty much summed it up.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »
Deane wasn't perfect, but it was a lot easier to root for him. Crean is the Curt Schilling of college basketball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »
I also have a related question for all of those people who are upset with the schedule.

Are you upset because you think this schedule will hurt the team somehow? (not prepare them, hurt sos, play down to competition, etc.)

or

Are you upset because you are a season ticket holder and you feel like there are a handful of game you just aren't interested in?

If your answer is the ladder, then there is no need to be upset... just don't buy tickets. MU's non-conf home schedule is always going to be a little soft. It's just life.

If you aren't satisfied with the product, just don't buy it. Spend your money elsewhere.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »
I'm assuming that since your username has warriors in it you probably went to school during an era when Marquette was a national name.  I, however, went to marquette during the Deane years and those were some sorry years.  Sure we won 20 games and got into the NIT but we were never on national television as much nor did we ever have our coach bring in an event like college gameday or do a piece with Jay Bilas on how we run a screen and roll, no our biggest treat in the year was watching Marquette beat Cincinnati and that was about it.  Crean may not be the best coach in the country or in the history of our program but he has done soooo much more for this program that I think we often forget just how bad we had it no more than 8 years ago.

Consider yourself lucky.  I (and at least two other regular posters on this board) were there for one of the worst four year stretches in Marquette history -- 87-88 through 90-91.  The last two years of Dukiet (10-18 and 13-15) and the first two of O'Neil (15-14 and 11-18).  One NIT appearance and two years in the glorious MCC conference.  Twenty win season?  You've got to be kidding me:  10-18, baby, 10-18.

I can't imagine what some of the people on this board would be like if we had a 10-18 season.  Crean's not perfect, and I often scratch my head about our offense's inability to create a decent shot, but it's nice when we all expect 20 win seasons and post-season appearances.  I really want Marquette to take that last step to being a truly elite program, but I'm happy with how close we are.  And I think it goes without saying that Crean deserves a lot of the credit.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »
Deane wasn't perfect, but it was a lot easier to root for him. Crean is the Curt Schilling of college basketball.

I appreciate your honesty, but I think this is the problem.

You dislike Crean, and therefore it shades your view of everything related to the program. Liking or disliking Crean has nothing to do with the schedule. There is no schedule out there that is going to make you like him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
MUDISh
your point all along was how weak MU's OOc SOS was.  that it will "haunt" Mu and then quoted all the gurus to make your point.  My point was 1. it is no weaker than the other ranked teams or equal to. 2. it does not really matter since our OOC SOS would be no weaker we would be on equal OOc SOS soil come MArch.  Since then you have listed 16 teams that have about an equal OOc SOS than us.  Completely proving my point hat we will be on equal OOC SOS footing with the teams we will be competing for the top 4-5-6 seeds against.

Now if you listed 15-20  ranked teams with say 5-6-7 OOc games against top competion than I might say " he is right this will hurt this magical OOC SOS number and our final SOS too.  But nothing you have shown show that will be the case.  Therefore I stick by my original premises 1.  Who you play in November and December does not really matter. and 2. even if it did our schedule is no worse than our peers and 3. even if it was our BE schedule is so strong it more than makes up for it.

pretty simple really...and really do hope you are not a lawyer or a logic teacher either.

Way to keep saying "really do hope you are not a lawyer". If you're an English or grammar teacher, I pity the youth of America. See the "spell check" button? Learn to use it sometime.

Anyway, as I said, if MU takes care of BE business, everything will sort itself out. I'll stand by my argument that if MU is on the same seed line as three other BCS conference teams, all things considered, the committee is going to look at our OOC sked, that's why I think the Wisconsin game is big. It's our only true OOC road game. Maybe it means the difference between being a 3 and a 4 seed. In a year where I think the top 3 teams in the country are in my opinion, head and shoulders above everyone else (Memphis, UCLA, UNC), I'd rather see those guys in a regional final instead of a semi. It's a long way a way from that, but it goes to my original point of seeding.

Finally, here is a list of the OCC RPI average for Joe Lunardi's 2/3 seeds in his latest bracketology. All rpi's came from realtimerpi.com. Some assumptions were made here. Any teams new to D1 was given a 300 rpi, and for teams participating in preseason tourney's where there first two opponents haven't been determined, a 200 rpi was given for opponents for both games. Final assumption was that these teams would face the best competion in those preseason conference tourney's semi-finals and championship game.

Teams listed here are Marquette, Mich St, Kansas, Tennessee, Georgetown, Kentucky, NC St and Duke.

Team A       Avg OOC opponent RPI    104
Team B       Avg OOC opponent RPI    115
Team C       Avg OOC opponent RPI    122
Team D       Avg OOC opponent RPI    136
Team E       Avg OOC opponent RPI    147
Team F       Avg OOC opponent RPI    159
Team G       Avg OOC opponent RPI    172
Team H       Avg OOC opponent RPI    185

While past performance doesn't guarantee future results, if come seeding time, all of these teams finish similar in their power conferences, I have a strong hunch that these numbers will bear some weight.

Take a guess which team is Marquette. This doesn't even take into account MU playing Chaminade.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:39:39 AM by MUDish »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

huh? The former coach who was given an historic boot in the NCAA tourney, famously enjoyed his bar time across the country, berated and embarrassed players during games, and talked down the history & ultimate potential of his employer was easier to root for?

Deane is a good coach.....not sure he was ever easier to root for.

I can appreciate it if folks think that TC's public persona is over the top at times ...... but the comparison to Deane doesn't help the argument.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »
Mike was real, he had warts but he had character.

Tom is programmed.

Tom is better for MU, but there's a reason John Daly is so popular.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
I'm assuming that since your username has warriors in it you probably went to school during an era when Marquette was a national name.  I, however, went to marquette during the Deane years and those were some sorry years.  Sure we won 20 games and got into the NIT but we were never on national television as much nor did we ever have our coach bring in an event like college gameday or do a piece with Jay Bilas on how we run a screen and roll, no our biggest treat in the year was watching Marquette beat Cincinnati and that was about it.  Crean may not be the best coach in the country or in the history of our program but he has done soooo much more for this program that I think we often forget just how bad we had it no more than 8 years ago.

Consider yourself lucky.  I (and at least two other regular posters on this board) were there for one of the worst four year stretches in Marquette history -- 87-88 through 90-91.  The last two years of Dukiet (10-18 and 13-15) and the first two of O'Neil (15-14 and 11-18).  One NIT appearance and two years in the glorious MCC conference.  Twenty win season?  You've got to be kidding me:  10-18, baby, 10-18.

I can't imagine what some of the people on this board would be like if we had a 10-18 season.  Crean's not perfect, and I often scratch my head about our offense's inability to create a decent shot, but it's nice when we all expect 20 win seasons and post-season appearances.  I really want Marquette to take that last step to being a truly elite program, but I'm happy with how close we are.  And I think it goes without saying that Crean deserves a lot of the credit.

Very true Stillawarrior, Some folks had it worse than I did, actually considering the cirumstances of other eras of MU Basketball I had it alright.  The point I was trying to make is that with Crean we probably have it better than any other period in Marquette Basketball, excluding of course the legendary Al.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
There was a guy sitting behind the bench during the Michigan State game on the other board who said Crean's behavior was the worst he'd ever seen by an MU coach during a game. This referred in particular to his treatment of his assistants.

Crean isn't programmed...he's just a totally pompous phony-baloney.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
Quote from: muarmy81
The point I was trying to make is that with Crean we probably have it better than any other period in Marquette Basketball, excluding of course the legendary Al.

I understood (and agree with) the point you were making.  I just felt like feeling sorry for myself a bit.  I really envy those who were students in the Al glory years and those who are there now.  It would have been so much fun to root for a winning team while I was at Marquette.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:49:54 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »
There was a guy sitting behind the bench during the Michigan State game on the other board who said Crean's behavior was the worst he'd ever seen by an MU coach during a game. This referred in particular to his treatment of his assistants.

Crean isn't programmed...he's just a totally pompous phony-baloney.

That may be, but he is still the second best coach this school has ever seen.