[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Possible NCAA #2 Seed?  (Read 18299 times)

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
Possible NCAA #2 Seed?
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
If Marquette knocks of Notre Dame, Louisville, and Georgetown this week, will it lock up a #2 seed?  Sounds like a decent number of MUScoopers are thinking the ceiling is at a #3, regardless of BE Tourney results.  Thoughts?
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Eldon

• All American
Re: Possible NCAA #2 Seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
Lville will be a tough out.  But much of that #2 seed depends on what happens in other conference tourneys as well, eg, do a number of teams above us nationally make earlier-than-expected exits.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
Hell we run that table we'll have an outside shot at a 1 seed, that would be winning 9 of our last 10 and would take our RPI to a top 5 rating(top 10 now)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »
I would guess that if we beat ND, Ville and GT (or whomever in the title game), thereby winning both the Big East regular-season and postseason titles, the committee would be able to justify a No. 2 seed for us pretty easily.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »
If Marquette knocks of Notre Dame, Louisville, and Georgetown this week, will it lock up a #2 seed?  Sounds like a decent number of MUScoopers are thinking the ceiling is at a #3, regardless of BE Tourney results.  Thoughts?

I think so.  Three wins against ranked teams.  Two against top 8 teams.  It would give us two out of three against Georgetown, and a split with Louisville with the loss at Louisville and the win on a neutral court.  We would then be Big East regular season and tournament champions, and we're not coming out of nowhere, we're already ranked 15th.

Oh wait, I forgot that we lost at Wisconsin-Green Bay, so I guess not.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:43:40 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
Win out and a 2-seed is in the bag.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
Yes

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
Depends on what the other schools do.  What we do in a vacuum isn't all that is at work.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
Depends on what the other schools do.  What we do in a vacuum isn't all that is at work.

No it doesn't. If we win out, we're a lock for a 2 seed.

Please explain a scenario in which we win the Conference tourney and the selection committee still puts 8 teams ahead of us?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
If we win out we are easily a #2 seed.  Possibly higher.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »
Win out and I think we should be national champions.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
Given that we barely beat Rutgers and St. John's, I do not know why anyone thinks we have a chance of winning out. I do think we have a better than 50-50 chance of beating Notre Dame, but I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
Given that we barely beat Rutgers and St. John's, I do not know why anyone thinks we have a chance of winning out. I do think we have a better than 50-50 chance of beating Notre Dame, but I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

This is a separate discussion, though I mostly agree with you.

That said, anything can happen in March.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Gonzaga
3 B1G teams
KU
Miami
Duke
Florida

I could easily see those 8 teams making it ahead of Big East tournament champion Marquette.  Another variable will be if K-State or OK-State win the Big 12 tourney.  

I don't think SLU, Arizona, or New Mexico would get a 2 ahead of MU after a BE tourney win.

We probably want someone other than Florida to win the SEC tournament, though the game there this year probably wins Florida a tie in seeding with MU.  We probably want KU to win the Big 12 tournament.  We want Duke to embarrass Miami.  And, we want tOSU, MSU, or Michigan to lose early in the Big Ten tournament.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
there is no advantage to being a  2 seed over a 3 seed.  both avoid the 1 seed until the Elite 8 if they all win out.  And not much difference in playing a 15 or 14 in the first round or a 6 or 7 in the next round.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:00:54 PM by ATWizJr »

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
there is no advantage to being a  seed over a 3 seed.  both avoid the 1 seed until the Elite 8 if they all win out.  And not much difference in playing a 15 or 14 in the first round or a 6 or 7 in the next round.

Agree w this.  The big jump is 4 to 3.  Avoid the 5 and the 1. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

+1000. A #2 seed? We have a long way to go folks. We beat St Johns without there top players because they pulled the press off in the extra period. St Johns ended the game 9-0 and now we are running the table on our way to a # 2 seed. Got it.

I think working on an inbounds play or a press break should be the concern not a top seed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
+1000. A #2 seed? We have a long way to go folks. We beat St Johns without there top players because they pulled the press off in the extra period. St Johns ended the game 9-0 and now we are running the table on our way to a # 2 seed. Got it.

I think working on an inbounds play or a press break should be the concern not a top seed.

Yeah, forget the NIT.  We better hope we get an invite to the Padre Serra this year.  Can't inbounds the ball, can't break the press.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
Yeah, you're right--I forgot our press break is our strength. Louisville is shaking at all the uncontested dunks we will get when we bust their press so easily. It happens every time.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
Gonzaga
3 B1G teams
KU
Miami
Duke
Florida

I could easily see those 8 teams making it ahead of Big East tournament champion Marquette.  Another variable will be if K-State or OK-State win the Big 12 tourney.  

I don't think SLU, Arizona, or New Mexico would get a 2 ahead of MU after a BE tourney win.

We probably want someone other than Florida to win the SEC tournament, though the game there this year probably wins Florida a tie in seeding with MU.  We probably want KU to win the Big 12 tournament.  We want Duke to embarrass Miami.  And, we want tOSU, MSU, or Michigan to lose early in the Big Ten tournament.

No way that we win out and they place 3 BiG teams ahead of us in the seed lines.  Only 1 of them can win the BiG tournament, another can make it to the BiG championship...the third would get a lower or same seed as us.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
No it doesn't. If we win out, we're a lock for a 2 seed.

Please explain a scenario in which we win the Conference tourney and the selection committee still puts 8 teams ahead of us?

Sure

IU
Duke
Gonzaga

All #1 seeds regardless of what happens this week.

That leaves 5 spots open

G'Town or Louisville makes the Big East final...one of them is getting a 2 seed.
Miami makes the ACC final...2 seed
Kansas makes semis or finals of Big 12....2 seed, could still be a one seed
Florida wins the SEC tourney...could be a 2 seed
Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State...any two of these three make the final and win it, you have a potential of at least one if not two of them fighting for a 2 seed.
Etc. 

Not that hard at all, really.  Look at who most experts have as 1 and 2 seeds right now.  If they perform well this week, which easily could happen, why would they drop out?  What we do is not in a vaccum. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
Yeah, you're right--I forgot our press break is our strength. Louisville is shaking at all the uncontested dunks we will get when we bust their press so easily. It happens every time.

Who said it's our strength? Didn't see that part.

Did we play amazing the last 2 games? No. But we won our last 4 games. And we won the Big East. We've also beaten Georgetown before. You're making it seem like we have no chance to win another game this year. We could go 0-2. But we're not DePaul. There's a reason we went 14-4 for the 2nd straight year in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Sure

IU
Duke
Gonzaga

All #1 seeds regardless of what happens this week.

That leaves 5 spots open

G'Town or Louisville makes the Big East final...one of them is getting a 2 seed.
Miami makes the ACC final...2 seed
Kansas makes semis or finals of Big 12....2 seed, could still be a one seed
Florida wins the SEC tourney...could be a 2 seed
Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State...any two of these three make the final and win it, you have a potential of at least one if not two of them fighting for a 2 seed.
Etc. 

Not that hard at all, really.  Look at who most experts have as 1 and 2 seeds right now.  If they perform well this week, which easily could happen, why would they drop out?  What we do is not in a vaccum. 

If you look at resumes, MU wins the BiG East tournament, Miami does not.  Based on resume, justify them over us for a 2-seed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
If you look at resumes, MU wins the BiG East tournament, Miami does not.  Based on resume, justify them over us for a 2-seed.

If Miami made the final, they would likely get over MU, but it would be close. 

Miami has a better RPI #4 vs #11 right now.
Better SOS #5 vs # 12
UM is  13-4 vs top 100 while  MU is 10-6 vs top 100
Both would finish with 27-7 records if it played out that way

feedback