[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Possible NCAA #2 Seed?  (Read 18297 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Possible NCAA #2 Seed?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
Considering what I was working on today, you guys have no idea how funny this thread is to me ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
No way that we win out and they place 3 BiG teams ahead of us in the seed lines.  Only 1 of them can win the BiG tournament, another can make it to the BiG championship...the third would get a lower or same seed as us.

It's not quite the 2009 Big East when Pitt, Louisville, and UConn all earned 1 seeds from the same conference, but the media LOVES the B1G this year like the BE in 2009.  If IU does not make the finals, then they are a 1 or 2 seed still.  Michigan/tOSU/MSU could make the finals and both teams could get one or two seeds.

In my opinion, IU needs to make the B1G tourney finals against an unranked cinderella to ensure the B1G gets fewer 1 and 2 seeds.    

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
Hell we run that table we'll have an outside shot at a 1 seed, that would be winning 9 of our last 10 and would take our RPI to a top 5 rating(top 10 now)

Doubt that will happen. At least this year!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
I would guess that if we beat ND, Ville and GT (or whomever in the title game), thereby winning both the Big East regular-season and postseason titles, the committee would be able to justify a No. 2 seed for us pretty easily.

How are you going to bump off the 3 locks for #1 right now?  Gonzaga, IU, Duke are all locks for #1.  Then you have at least 2 others locked at #2, fighting for one of those #1's.  Those other teams get to play, too, and get to decide what is going to happen.  Sure, if Miami, G'Town, Louisville, Kansas, Florida, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc, all lose early in their tournaments....but what's the reality of this?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »
How are you going to bump off the 3 locks for #1 right now?  Gonzaga, IU, Duke are all locks for #1.  Then you have at least 2 others locked at #2, fighting for one of those #1's.  Those other teams get to play, too, and get to decide what is going to happen.  Sure, if Miami, G'Town, Louisville, Kansas, Florida, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc, all lose early in their tournaments....but what's the reality of this?

Chicos, I agree with you that a BET championship does not guarantee a 2 seed, but MU82 says beating ND, Ville, and Gtown makes a 2 seed easily justifiable. Are you disagreeing with that? Big difference between a guarantee vs. easily justifiable.

Personally, I think our floor is a 5, and our ceiling is a 2. Make the BE semis and don't get embarrassed there, and the floor moves up to a 4. Win it, and I'd like to think 2 or 3.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33:43 AM »
This is being way over analyzed. If we won BE we would have a good chance at a 2.

I think right now we r a 4 seed
Lose first game maybe even a 5 seed
Win 2 games (likely ND and Lou) 3 seed
Win BE possibly 2 seed

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
I do not see us beating Louisville, as this team turns the ball over to much, exactly what Louey did to MU last year, and the game in Louisville next year.  PG is not good enough to
control tempo, secondly, this team has to many lulls in scoring.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »
Chicos, I agree with you that a BET championship does not guarantee a 2 seed, but MU82 says beating ND, Ville, and Gtown makes a 2 seed easily justifiable. Are you disagreeing with that? Big difference between a guarantee vs. easily justifiable.

Personally, I think our floor is a 5, and our ceiling is a 2. Make the BE semis and don't get embarrassed there, and the floor moves up to a 4. Win it, and I'd like to think 2 or 3.

Yes, I would agree it's possible.  I'm having trouble with people saying its a birthright (not literally) if we win the BET we get a 2 seed, and maybe a 1.  Yes, we would have a shot at a 2 seed, but what happens elsewhere seems to not matter to some here.  The reality is that this isn't done in a vaccum and the other results are equally important.

I think our floor is a 4.  I would be disappointed at anything worse than a 4.  A three is something that I think is very doable.  A 1...not a chance under any scenario sans planes crashing and 5 teams eliminated.  A 2, I don't see it either, but possible by getting a ton of help from a lot of other teams.  Almost every domino has to fall our way.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:09:36 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »
I think its impossible for us to have a number 1 seed, but this will be the year with the worst #1 seeds that I can remember.

Could be a good year for a 16-seed upsetting a number 1. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 02:56:30 AM »
Win out and I think we should be national champions.

S'truth.

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
Who said it's our strength? Didn't see that part.

Did we play amazing the last 2 games? No. But we won our last 4 games. And we won the Big East. We've also beaten Georgetown before. You're making it seem like we have no chance to win another game this year. We could go 0-2. But we're not DePaul. There's a reason we went 14-4 for the 2nd straight year in the Big East.
I agree with Bilsu on this one.  World--this thread is about winning out and possibly making a #2 seed.  Don't see that happening.  Because of that, doesn't mean that I think that we are an NIT team.  We do have deficiences, I am not going to ignore that.

Given that we barely beat Rutgers and St. John's, I do not know why anyone thinks we have a chance of winning out. I do think we have a better than 50-50 chance of beating Notre Dame, but I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:33 AM »
Sure

IU
Duke
Gonzaga

All #1 seeds regardless of what happens this week.

That leaves 5 spots open

G'Town or Louisville makes the Big East final...one of them is getting a 2 seed. - Not ahead of us if we win it.
Miami makes the ACC final...2 seed - Not ahead of us if we win the BET
Kansas makes semis or finals of Big 12....2 seed, could still be a one seed - If they make the finals I agree.  Semis get in line behind us
Florida wins the SEC tourney...could be a 2 seed - I agree if Florida wins the SEC they will be seeded ahead of us
Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State...any two of these three make the final and win it, you have a potential of at least one if not two of them fighting for a 2 seed. Big Ten will not have more than 2 teams seeded above an MU that wins the BETEtc.  
If we win the BE Tournament we will be a 2 seed at worst.  I also agree with those who don't think us winning is a likely scenario, but if we do win the BET, no way we are not a 2.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:30:11 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
If we win the BE Tournament we will be a 2 seed at worst.  I also agree with those who don't think us winning is a likely scenario, but if we do win the BET, no way we are not a 2.
IF we win, we will  be a 2.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Given that we barely beat Rutgers and St. John's, I do not know why anyone thinks we have a chance of winning out. I do think we have a better than 50-50 chance of beating Notre Dame, but I am not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

We also barely beat UConn, Georgetown, Syracuse, and Pitt on the road. This team plays close games, but they are very good at winning. I'll admit Louisville is a terrifying prospect for this team, but we can beat anyone in this league. We've played closer to teams than we might like all year going back to the cupcakes, but we won. If you don't think this team can win...well, I don't know what to tell ya.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
We also barely beat UConn, Georgetown, Syracuse, and Pitt on the road. This team plays close games, but they are very good at winning. I'll admit Louisville is a terrifying prospect for this team, but we can beat anyone in this league. We've played closer to teams than we might like all year going back to the cupcakes, but we won. If you don't think this team can win...well, I don't know what to tell ya.

I agree with everything here, brewcity, and we have done well in close games, but you can't count on continuously winning those.  One of these games the other team's 80+% FT shooter isn't going to gag on the front end of a one and one, or they won't make an unforced turnover by dribbling off of their shoe or their big guy won't miss a point blank lay up.  We've won a lot of those close games due to the other team's failures as much as our own success.

I also agree that the only Big East team we're not at least a 50/50 proposition against on a neutral floor is Louisville.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:56:36 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Win? Yes. Win 3 in 3 days on the road with those teams potentially being ND LOU and then GEORGE? I would love that--very very difficult road if that's our path.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Lose the first game= 4 seed
Win 1 or 2 games= 3 seed
Win the tournament= 2 seed

Obviously you play to win it all, but the best case scenario may be to win one, and then lose. Not much difference between a 2 or a 3 seed and this team seems to be better focused after a loss. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »
I agree with Bilsu on this one.  World--this thread is about winning out and possibly making a #2 seed. Don't see that happening.   Because of that, doesn't mean that I think that we are an NIT team.  We do have deficiences, I am not going to ignore that.

We should really ask the OP what the thread is about, because now that bilsu in on the "IF" train as of this a.m., you're the only one still waiting to board at the station.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »
This is being way over analyzed. If we won BE we would have a good chance at a 2.
I think right now we r a 4 seed
Lose first game maybe even a 5 seed
Win 2 games (likely ND and Lou) 3 seed
Win BE possibly 2 seed

I'd say this is right on!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
The last few years the committee has come and said the conference tournaments are important, but not that important.  It's the body of work. 

A lot of dominoes have to fall for MU to get a 2 seed.  No way a 1, that is funny dreamy stuff.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »
If Marquette knocks of Notre Dame, Louisville, and Georgetown this week, will it lock up a #2 seed?  Sounds like a decent number of MUScoopers are thinking the ceiling is at a #3, regardless of BE Tourney results.  Thoughts?

If we knock off Georgetown, who is now seen as a guaranteed #2 , and win the BE, we will be a guaranteed #2.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
We should really ask the OP what the thread is about, because now that bilsu in on the "IF" train as of this a.m., you're the only one still waiting to board at the station.
Benny--when we win3 in a row on the road against team like ND then LOU then GEORGE ill get on that bus.  Saying -again--that is extremely difficult task. If we do, no doubt a #2 seed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
This is totally ridiculous.  If we beat Gtown and Louisville this weekend we are ahead of both of them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
This is totally ridiculous.  If we beat Gtown and Louisville this weekend we are ahead of both of them.

I think Lunardi said it best a few years ago. The conference tournaments are overvalued by the fans and undervalued by the committee.  Well, the committee gets to make the calls.

Last few years the committee has said the conference tournaments are important, but not nearly as important as folks make them out to be.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »

I think Lunardi said it best a few years ago. The conference tournaments are overvalued by the fans and undervalued by the committee.  Well, the committee gets to make the calls.

Last few years the committee has said the conference tournaments are important, but not nearly as important as folks make them out to be.

True, but hoping a good showing might move us solidly into the 3 line.