[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no banner for Tommy...,  (Read 6745 times)

augoman

• All American
no banner for Tommy...,
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
can't hang the 'big 10 champion' banner tonight, eh Tom?  Would have been nice on senior night and all.

avid1010

• All American
Re: no banner for Tommy...,
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
no banner my a$$...he's hanging a banner for the fans. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
Yay, another thread about a guy unaffiliated with Marquette for 59 months.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Yay, another thread about a guy unaffiliated with Marquette for 59 months.

That's a pretty broad definition of unaffiliated you're using considering some of the talk around here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Christ man, move on with your life.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
Considering how MU and OSU are likely fighting for similar seeds, it would have been real nice if IU could have won tonight. 

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
Considering how MU and OSU are likely fighting for similar seeds, it would have been real nice if IU could have won tonight. 

Precisely.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
Mike & Mike were just talking about this.  It's not an MU story it's a college basketball story.  They brought out ladders to cut down nets and handed out champs Tee's.  Greenberg seemed amazed they would do this, no one in MKE is surprised.  The CMO is back and better than ever.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
Part of the trick to marketing is to be innovative and unique. Well, T-Cubed certainly thinks of gimmicks mainstream coaches wouldn't dream of.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:29 AM »
Maybe if they lose to Michigan they'll have a ticker tape parade from the airport to the campus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
Wonder what the Big 10 co-championship rings are gonna look like?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »
Lot of jokes for a guy who brought Indiana from the dregs of college basketball to a conference title in five years.

No doubt we'll have this many comedians come Saturday at 16.10.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
They were talking about this on Mad Dog radio this morning on XM, too.  Wow.  I've been known to defend TC on this board and certainly don't hate him as much as many here.  But, wow...  Really, really bad.  Indefensible.  Even if they'd been picked as a middle of the pack team and secured a share of the conference title, you can't have a ceremony like this (i.e., hats, shirts and cutting down the freaking nets) after a loss.  It's particularly ridiculous to do it in a season when they were the pre-season No. 1, have spent a substantial amount of time at No. 1, and are considered by many to be a favorite to win the title.

Interestingly, they also said that Indiana is hanging a separate banner to commemorate this achievement, even though their usual practice is to simply add the year to an existing banner that lists all their conference titles.

Wow.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »

Interestingly, they also said that Indiana is hanging a separate banner to commemorate this achievement, even though their usual practice is to simply add the year to an existing banner that lists all their conference titles.

Wow.

"It's Indiana, it's Indiana" becomes "It's TC, it's TC" at the first hint of success. How surprising.

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
Christ man, move on with your life.

Hahaha, this made me laugh a lot!  thanks
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
Lot of jokes for a guy who brought Indiana from the dregs of college basketball to a conference title in five years.

No doubt we'll have this many comedians come Saturday at 16.10.

It's Indy-freaking-Ana.  Look at their last 3 coaches:

Bob Knight...5 Final Fours
Mike Davis...National Runner Up, Big Ten Title in his 2nd year
Kelvin Sampson...2 seasons, both 3rd in conf (after replacing a fired coached).  25 wins in his 2nd season, 14-4 in conf.

Then TC comes in, kicks out everyone because they smoke too much weed and don't go to class.  Surprise, they're bad for a few years, then SURPRISE, they're good again, because it's Indy-freaking-Ana.  They're nearly always good.  If they hired Cal, they'd have a National Title by now.  

Look TC chose to clean house.  Or at least he took a job where he was told to clean house.  The 6-25 shouldn't surprise anyone.  Neither should a share of the Big Ten Title five years later.  A Final Four, while expected, will surprise me.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
I joked about it with some guys at work today.  As IU grads, they thought the hoopla of tshirts, hats, and cutting of the nets was dumb and embarrassing.  I don't have a problem with the trophy being rolled out and neither did they.  But they were upset you lost on senior night, do the senior speeches, then cut the nets down acting like things are good.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

Wow.
1983 has a separate banner as well. Knight did this to honor the fans after Ted Kitchell went down with an injury...
Crean is doing this banner because of the fans that stuck with the program during the down years...I don't agree with it, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Let's see how far they go before deciding what to put on a banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
My wife, the diehard hoosier fan for the last 30 years, with no knowledge of the conversations that go on regarding banners on this board, says "That's just dumb.   Why does there need to be a special one?    What, they are going on with the t-shirts and net cutting after this performance?     Are you kidding me?"    Being a wise husband, I just laughed and agreed with her.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
1983 has a separate banner as well. Knight did this to honor the fans after Ted Kitchell went down with an injury...
Crean is doing this banner because of the fans that stuck with the program during the down years...I don't agree with it, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Let's see how far they go before deciding what to put on a banner.
Nonsense. He's doing it for himself because he's desperate for affirmation. Did he put up the ridiculous banners in the Bradley Center (taken down as soon as he left) for the fans? And spare me the "seniors deserve to have a banner." Having "2013" on the conference banner is plenty. It's so bizarre and, the fact that this is now an issue, makes this new banner all the more awkward and forever conspicuous.

You'd think a guy with a team as talented as Indiana would make it clear that if they want a banner, they're going to have to earn it in the tournament.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091104/BLOGS08/911049927

Agree with PRN. I fail to see how the situations are comparable.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:17:05 AM by NavinRJohnson »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
It's Indiana, and banners on the same shirt? Tom Crean's wet dream.

http://iuhoosiers.cbscollegestore.com/product_enlarge.cfm?product_id=155437&store_id=406&image_num=1
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:16:35 AM by NavinRJohnson »

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
Nonsense. He's doing it for himself because he's desperate for affirmation. Did he put up the ridiculous banners in the Bradley Center (taken down as soon as he left) for the fans? And spare me the "seniors deserve to have a banner." Having "2013" on the conference banner is plenty. It's so bizarre and, the fact that this is now an issue, makes this new banner all the more awkward and forever conspicuous.

You'd think a guy with a team as talented as Indiana would make it clear that if they want a banner, they're going to have to earn it in the tournament.

As I said, I don't agree with it either, but that's the story he's going with. The fans that still showed up despite going 1-17 in his first season in the Big10. Now the net cutting has to be one of the dumbest stunts I have heard. He had it planned, they lost the game, and <insert no ability to make an in game adjustment joke here>

feedback