'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 11:22:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We shouldn't give up on Gonzaga  (Read 15599 times)

Coleman

• All American
We shouldn't give up on Gonzaga
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
The Zags are an elite program. We need them. We are already bringing questionable teams like DePaul and Seton Hall we can't expect Daytons and Richmonds to bring us up to where we need to be. If people from those schools read this, don't misunderstand me, your schools could compete with most of our conference and wouldn't bring us down, but that's not enough. We need to bring in a school that lifts everyone else up, that is BETTER than most of our conference.

The Zags are a unique opportunity to do that. Here's my proposal, which I mentioned on another thread: because of their distance, give them an extra $1,000,000 a year as a compensation for travel from the TV deal. No one will miss it, we're going to get a huge increase from our current deal and it can be split 11 ways. We are talking less than $100,000 per year per team given up. How would the Zags be able to say no to that (~$4 mil a year), compared to what they are currently getting in the WCC?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:09:37 AM by Victor McCormick »

tower912

• All American
Re: We shouldn't give up on Gonzaga
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:10:20 AM »
What about the compensation for MU's travels to Spokane?   What about 10 PM EST starts?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
What about the compensation for MU's travels to Spokane?   What about 10 PM EST starts?

We'd have 1 of those a year. Worth it.

Would you rather have a 10 pm start against a top 10 team or a 7 pm start against Dayton?

Easy choice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
MU is lobbying for Creighton and can't get the east coast teams to buy in because Creighton is too far west.   If this is true, Gonzaga to  the new conference is DOA.   And BTW, I am a Dayton fan.   Sister and B-I-L went there and I have fond memories of there, along with MU's history with Dayton in the 60's, 70's and 80's.   So give me the 7 PM start in Dayton.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
What about 10 PM EST starts?
This is comical.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
And BTW, I am a Dayton fan.   Sister and B-I-L went there and I have fond memories of there, along with MU's history with Dayton in the 60's, 70's and 80's.   So give me the 7 PM start in Dayton.

That's nice and everything. But the selection committee isn't going to consider that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
What about the compensation for MU's travels to Spokane?   What about 10 PM EST starts?

My feeling was you have 2 divisions with 6 teams.  Gonzaga goes in West Division with MU.  You play each team in your division 2 times (totals 10 games), then you play 4 games outside your division Home, and 4 away.  Limits travel.  Those 4 Away games for the Eastern teams at Gonzaga - you aim to play on the weekends - no arena scheduling conflicts for the Zags...so they could host Saturday or Sunday games at any time they want...

Regarding travel - it's really only 1 trip per year to Spokane for MU's teams - not all that different than going to a South Florida currently.

To me it is very doable, and the value the Zags bring in basketball...for a basketball-centric league....it's a no brainer.  You figure it out and get it done.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
I really believe you guys are dreaming.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I really believe you guys are dreaming.

This.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »
We'd have 1 of those a year. Worth it.

Would you rather have a 10 pm start against a top 10 team or a 7 pm start against Dayton?

Easy choice.

It is 6 hours to Spokane to NYC/Philly/Providence.  That a long flight but at least the basketball team flies private and in directly.  

To send the soccer team (which number 30 to 40 people when players, coaches, trainers and others are considered) one-way to Spokane on a charter is more than 50k.  100k round trip.  I doubt the school spends this much on the entire program (not including scholarships).

Non-revenue sports take a bus to Chicago Midway and fly Southwest or some other discount airline to Spokane.  It long, hard, luggage gets lost, flights get delay, you know the drill.  IT affects their performance on the field.

The ONLY way this could even be a discussion is if Gonzaga's non-revenue sports stay in the WCC and basketball is the only sport in the C7.  The WCC will never go for that.

Similarly I'll bet the push back against Creighton is not basketball.  It's St. Johns, PC and Seton Hall thinking about the money, time and hassle involved in sending non-revenue sports to Omaha.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »
My feeling was you have 2 divisions with 6 teams.  Gonzaga goes in West Division with MU.  You play each team in your division 2 times (totals 10 games), then you play 4 games outside your division Home, and 4 away.  Limits travel.  Those 4 Away games for the Eastern teams at Gonzaga - you aim to play on the weekends - no arena scheduling conflicts for the Zags...so they could host Saturday or Sunday games at any time they want...

Regarding travel - it's really only 1 trip per year to Spokane for MU's teams - not all that different than going to a South Florida currently.

To me it is very doable, and the value the Zags bring in basketball...for a basketball-centric league....it's a no brainer.  You figure it out and get it done.

Great, we play Gonzaga, Creighton (which will not be this good every year) St. Louis, Depaul and Butler from the west twice.  We only play the eastern teams once.

MID-MAJOR!!  Let's just joint the A-10.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:36:47 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

Personally, I think the marginal travel time & cost of going to Spokane vs. Providence is being over-hyped.  It will suck for Providence to have to go x-country, but perhaps that's reason to go to 14 teams and have two divisions so the eastern seaboard teams don't have to go to Gonzaga (and vice versa) every single year.

And as far as start times, stipulate no weeknight games in Spokane start later than 6:00p PT, and make all efforts to schedule eastern teams on the weekends.

I'm sure Gonzaga wants in the C7 so I think there would be some leverage the C7 has in negotiating terms of their membership.  They don't need to rake the Zags over the coals, but at least try to make things reasonably convenient for the 13 teams that aren't on the west coast.

MU is lobbying for Creighton and can't get the east coast teams to buy in because Creighton is too far west.   If this is true, Gonzaga to  the new conference is DOA.

Agreed.  But then again, it might not be entirely true.  Perhaps MU and a couple others are indeed lobbying for Creighton, but are also lobbying for 12 teams and Gonzaga, too - while the easties agree on Creighton but are lobbying for only 10 teams, perhaps they're amenable to 12 teams on the condition that Richmond is also included.  It may not be a mutually exclusive proposition for Creighton and Richmond... and Gonzaga may still be in the mix.  Who knows?

Frankly, speculating and handicapping the Invite 3/5/7 is more fun than filling out tourney brackets.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
Great, we play Gonzaga, Creighton (which will not be this good every year) St. Louis, Depaul and Dayton from the west twice.  We only play the eastern teams once.

MID-MAJOR!!  Let's just joint the A-10.

If you're going to assume that Creighton won't always be this good, you also have to assume that DePaul and Dayton may not always be this bad.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
If you're going to assume that Creighton won't always be this good, you also have to assume that DePaul and Dayton may not always be this bad.

We will be lost to the eastern media in this division.  MID-MAJOR!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
Great, we play Gonzaga, Creighton (which will not be this good every year) St. Louis, Depaul and Butler from the west twice.  We only play the eastern teams once.

#3 in the country (zags), #15 in the country (Butler), #17 in the country (us) #26 in the country (SLU), oh yeah, and another unranked team that will make the tournament (Creighton) IN ONE DIVISION

In what world is that mid-major? Try again.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

When Gonzaga is brought up to join the league, it is always referenced from an MU perspective. Question, are the Zags even interested in joining?

If you're MU or another C-7 team, one trip out to Spokane is no big deal. But, for Mark Few and his team, do you really want to play 9 road games that are either semi-across the country or coast-to-coast. I'm not sure, especially since Gonzaga has been able to build and sustain a model of success that frankly is unparalleled for any non-BCS conference school.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
When Gonzaga is brought up to join the league, it is always referenced from an MU perspective. Question, are the Zags even interested in joining?

If you're MU or another C-7 team, one trip out to Spokane is no big deal. But, for Mark Few and his team, do you really want to play 9 road games that are either semi-across the country or coast-to-coast. I'm not sure, especially since Gonzaga has been able to build and sustain a model of success that frankly is unparalleled for any non-BCS conference school.

Read my first post. For $4 million a year, I think they would. Anyone know what their current WCC deal is worth?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »

While I see your point, I don't see a sked that features two games a year against St. Louis, Creighton and DePaul as any less attractive than one with Providence, Seton Hall and Richmond twice a year. In fact, I'd prefer it.
I'd prefer not to see divisions, but a six-team division of MU, DePaul, Creighton, Gonzaga, Butler and St. Louis isn't all that bad. It wouldn't be significantly better or worse than one with Georgetown, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier and Richmond.
MU/Gonzaga are on par with Georgetown and Nova.
Butler/Creighton > Xavier and St. John's.
DePaul/St. Louis equal to Providence and Seton Hall.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:51:05 AM by Pakuni »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
#3 in the country (zags), #15 in the country (Butler), #17 in the country (us) #26 in the country (SLU), oh yeah, and another unranked team that will make the tournament (Creighton) IN ONE DIVISION

In what world is that mid-major? Try again.

Tell me what their 2015 ranking will be?  Based on their history, worse than this year.

Depaul, Butler and MU will be good ... Creighton will be a marginal NCAA team and Depaul and St. Louis will be NIT teams.  

Again, why is this better than leaving the C7 and joining the A-10?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
While I see your point, I don't see a sked that features two games a year against St. Louis, Creighton and DePaul as any less attractive than one with Providence, Seton Hall and Richmond twice a year. In fact, I'd prefer it.
I'd prefer not to see divisions, but a six-team division of MU, DePaul, Creighton, Gonzaga, Butler and St. Louis isn't all that bad. It wouldn't be significantly better or worse than one with Georgetown, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier and Richmond.
MU/Gonzaga are on par with Georgetown and Nova.
Butler/Creighton at least equal to Xavier and Richmond.
DePaul/St. Louis equal to Providence and Seton Hall.

Actually....

Gonzaga > Georgetown
MU > Nova
Butler > Xavier
Creighton > Richmond
St. Louis > Providence
DePaul = Seton Hall

This is better in almost every regard.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
And AGAIN, what do you do with Gonzaga's other 16 sports? Are we now going to invite them as well?  Throwing massive dollars down a rat hole.  If you invite them for basketball only, what conference would take Gonzaga's horrible other sports teams and why would they do it?  Finally, why would Gonzaga do this to their team, to their fan base, etc?  Playing half their games at 2 or 3 time zones away.  Massive travel on the student athletes, definitely a hit to their record, etc.

Hell, the way they have it setup right now, they may back into a number 1 seed (as ridiculous as that is) with their current setup. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Tell what their 2015 ranking will be?  Based on their history, worse than this year.

Depaul, Butler and MU will be good ... Creighton will be a marginal NCAA team and Depaul and St. Louis will be NIT teams.  

Again, why is this better than leaving the C7 and joining the A-10?

Because we aren't playing Duquesne. Try again dude.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
It is 6 hours to Spokane to NYC/Philly/Providence.  That a long flight but at least the basketball team flies private and in directly.  

To send the soccer team (which number 30 to 40 people when players, coaches, trainers and others are considered) one-way to Spokane on a charter is more than 50k.  100k round trip.  I doubt the school spends this much on the entire program (not including scholarships).

Non-revenue sports take a bus to Chicago Midway and fly Southwest or some other discount airline to Spokane.  It long, hard, luggage gets lost, flights get delay, you know the drill.  IT affects their performance on the field.

The ONLY way this could even be a discussion is if Gonzaga's non-revenue sports stay in the WCC and basketball is the only sport in the C7.  The WCC will never go for that.

Similarly I'll bet the push back against Creighton is not basketball.  It's St. Johns, PC and Seton Hall thinking about the money, time and hassle involved in sending non-revenue sports to Omaha.

Milwaukee has joined the 90's. Southwest now flies outta here.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
Because we aren't playing Duquense. Try again dude.

Now, we play DePaul twice ... same thing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
Now, we play DePaul twice ... same thing

THATS ALREADY HAPPENING. This is why we need Gonzaga.

feedback