Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue  (Read 18339 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Vander Blue
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
After last year, who would ever think he would have a game like that against Pittsburgh.  i think the game is coming to him now, did not force a shot, was 7-8 from distance.
If he plays like that with Jamil Wilson playing better, you would hope they get to the sweet 16 again, any thoughts?  Secondly, he might become an NBA player in the future,
one more good year at MU, who knows?

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Vander Blue
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »
Let's not forget that Vander contemplated going pro after an abysmal freshman year. I have wondered all year about what will happen at the end of this year where he has been quite good. It will be interesting to see if Vander tries to declare after this year...I hope it doesn't happen but who knows.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
Vander, if you come back, you will be on the short-list for BE POY.  See Crowder, Jae.  Would he have been better off skipping his last year?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Let's not forget that Vander contemplated going pro after an abysmal freshman year. I have wondered all year about what will happen at the end of this year where he has been quite good. It will be interesting to see if Vander tries to declare after this year...I hope it doesn't happen but who knows.

I think that may have been because he had so many accolades out of HS I think Buzz may have humbled him as shown by him saying Jamil is the best player on our team
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Vander, if you come back, you will be on the short-list for BE POY.  See Crowder, Jae.  Would he have been better off skipping his last year?

I think hed be on the national POY list
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

If Van has a big NCAA Tournament and leads* MU to the Elite 8 or even the Final Four, he'd be silly not to go. Strike while your stock is high.

* - "leads" as in, he has monster games

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

Vander's junior year has been considerably better than Jae's junior year.

Going into Jae's senior year, we only hoped he'd be able to replace Jimmy. He averaged under 12 points as a junior, and there were few if any who thought he was going to be in the BE PoY conversation.

Vander is unquestionably the best player on a team tied for the Big East lead and is getting a good amount of national attention.

I hope Vander doesn't go. I think it would benefit him to stay one more year; he'll get to play some PG next season and his 3PT pct still has much room for improvement. But if he keeps having one good game after another -- with a few great games thrown in to offset the occasional clunker -- it might be hard for him to resist at least checking out what NBA types think about him and then acting accordingly.

Just six weeks ago, any talk of Vander possibly going pro made me laugh out loud because he simply did not display enough skills consistently enough to merit such talk. I still think he's a long shot due to his size, his lack of PG skills and his sub-30% 3PT shooting.

Nevertheless, his outstanding showing during conference play makes such talk far more realistic now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
He's had a solid year, though and up and down past 7 days. His performance 2 days ago vs his performance 7 days ago were definitely a contrast.

At Georgetown, 7 points, 3 of 10 shooting, 0 for 5 from beyond the arc, 1 for 3 from stripe, 1 asst, 2 TO's

Needs another year.  If he wants to declare, declare but don't sign an agent.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »
Vander's junior year has been considerably better than Jae's junior year.

I don't know about that.  They do different things.  Jae's junior year he averaged nearly 7 boards a game, 12 points, shot 49% from the field and 36% from 3 point range.  Also had 1.6 assts per game, 1.3 steals and 1 block per game with less than 1 turnover per game.

Vander this year has 3.3 rebounds per game, about 15 points avg, shooting about 47% but less than 31% from beyond the arc.  Same assts per game as Jae but more turnovers at 2.1 per game, less than 1 steal per game and zero blocks per game.

I wouldn't say considerably better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
I don't know about that.  They do different things.  Jae's junior year he averaged nearly 7 boards a game, 12 points, shot 49% from the field and 36% from 3 point range.  Also had 1.6 assts per game, 1.3 steals and 1 block per game with less than 1 turnover per game.

Vander this year has 3.3 rebounds per game, about 15 points avg, shooting about 47% but less than 31% from beyond the arc.  Same assts per game as Jae but more turnovers at 2.1 per game, less than 1 steal per game and zero blocks per game.

OK, Chicos. I can live without the "considerably." Vander has scored better and, IMHO, he has been more important to his team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
You would also need to divide Jae's junior season into two haves. I believe his statistics the first half as he was learning to adjust to basketball at this level were significantly lower than his second half statistics.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
You would also need to divide Jae's junior season into two haves. I believe his statistics the first half as he was learning to adjust to basketball at this level were significantly lower than his second half statistics.

Plus Jae played alongside Butler, which means he's going to have split rebounds, points, etc.  Vander doesn't have anyone playing the same level with him so he has more opportunities.  Blue is playing 32.7 minutes per game to Jae's 27.6...you can get a lot done in 5 extra minutes. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

Jae was the third best player on a 22-15, 9-9, Sweet Sixteen team his junior year. Vander is the best player on what currently is an 18-6 and 9-3 team. I'd say right now it's advantage Blue.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Jae was the third best player on a 22-15, 9-9, Sweet Sixteen team his junior year. Vander is the best player on what currently is an 18-6 and 9-3 team. I'd say right now it's advantage Blue.

If Blue (the Junior version) was on that team a few years ago, he would also be the third best player on that team.  This is why looking at one season vs the other and not taking everything into consideration (schedule, players, etc) is silly. 

Or, let's say this year's team doesn't make the Sweet 16 and since that team did, does that mean negative argument for Vander?  Or is it that each year is unique, each tournament unique, etc?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
My thinking is that he needs another year to play more consistently game in and game out.  If MU does go deep into the tourney, plays like he did against Pitt, there might be some
talk about leaving early.  Lets see how he plays tomorrow night, against a bad team like the Hall (majority of there good players are hurt) he should have a good game.  They will be
playing zone, needs to keep hitting outside shots.  Like to see him add 20 lbs to his frame.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
Regarding VB's 3pt shooting %, I do think you need to factor in how many terrible last second of 35 second clock shots he has been forced into. It seems like every game he is forced into a horrible shot because shot clock is near zero. To me the best part of him this year is his patience. I think there have been times when he could drive and score at will and instead plays within the system. The dunk he had against Georgetown to me was sign of maturity. He had wide open 18 footer and drove to hoop instead. Very heady play IMO.

In addition, IMO VB aside from being MVP on team he really is the only go to guy on team. Hard to compare him other guys because of supporting cast.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
If Vander could play point in the Association he would be a first rounder, but unfortunately, he isnt playing PG for MU.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
He will PG in the NBA. He is not a number two and plays one because Jr. is Buzz's guy.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
Next year if the freshman do not pan out, Vander can play the point and Mayo the 2, add Wilson, McKay and Otule and you have NBA length.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
After last year, who would ever think he would have a game like that against Pittsburgh.  i think the game is coming to him now, did not force a shot, was 7-8 from distance.

To be fair, he was 2-2 from 'distance' and 7-8 from the field.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
To me the best part of him this year is his patience. I think there have been times when he could drive and score at will and instead plays within the system.

If there is ANYTIME that VB can drive and score at will..........well then that is exactly what he should be doing. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
If Blue (the Junior version) was on that team a few years ago, he would also be the third best player on that team.  This is why looking at one season vs the other and not taking everything into consideration (schedule, players, etc) is silly. 

Or, let's say this year's team doesn't make the Sweet 16 and since that team did, does that mean negative argument for Vander?  Or is it that each year is unique, each tournament unique, etc?

This season is a long way from being over. A lot could change, but as of now Vander is better than DJO or Jae showed their junior years. He's the #1 option on the team, not the second or third. Teams game plan to stop him. And that team (so far) looks better than the 2010-11 team. Let's see how it plays out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »
As I stated VB plays within the system. If they isolated him like the NBA guys he would score a bunch more. He can to his right or left and few can guard him one on one. I give him credit for showing maturity. He scores his points without a lot of touches. By touches I mean not 30 feet from basket playing catch with Jr.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »
I would think he would test the waters and see if he is draftable. I think he would benefit ($-wise) if he played another year and was able to demonstrate some better skills at the point, better 3-ball, and better overall consistency.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
Here are my two cents in this conversation.

IF Blue wants to go pro, he should do this after his junior year. The draft class of this year is the worst in decades; it's absolutely atrocious. He might sneak in as a middle 2nd rounder or later or something.

His senior year draft class is STACKED beyond belief. Wiggins, Harrison twins, that whole Kentucky team in general, maybe Jabari Parker. If he wants to play in the Association, he should declare after this year.

With that said, I do not think he will declare. He will come back for his senior year and win the national championship  ;D
His skills need a lot of work and we'll see how he plays in this final part of the season and the NCAA's. I think how he plays in March is key for his decision.

feedback