collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will Noel's Injury Change NBA Rules?  (Read 9314 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Will Noel's Injury Change NBA Rules?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »
Reported today that RGIII may start the September opener for the Redskins, despite a torn LCL and ACL.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »
‏@darrenrovell
Source: Nerlens Noel has a $10 million permanent total disability policy thru Lloyd's of London. Would have to be career ending to collect.

@darrenrovell
NCAA will only loan high-profile student-athletes premiums up to $5M, but if you go outside the NCAA, you can get the $10M that Noel did.

@darrenrovell
Noel's $10M insurance policy would cover his first 3 years of NBA earnings, since $ is tax free. Would have to never play again.

Who is paying the premium on this?  And if it's not Nerlins Noel, I am not 100% sure the money would be tax-free to him.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
Irving was injured at the beginning of the season.  He managed to return during the tourney and scored 28 points in his last game for the Blue Devils.  The point is he was healed and able to workout and run drills for teams so they could judge his physical abilities.

Noel will barely be able to walk properly by the time workouts start in April.  Teams will not be able to assess first hand his physical abilities.   That makes him a risk in that you're drafting an unknown ... unless you want to call Calpari and believe everything he tells you.

What Adrian Peterson did was nothing short of a medical miracle.  When did his recovery period become the standard?

Saying Peterson is the standard is liking saying all MU grads that do not make more than $1 million/year are losers.

My bad on Irving comparison. I totally forgot he came back at season's end.

And yes I realize Peterson's case was amazing, to be able to perform as well as he did as soon after surgery. But as I and others have said, many, many athletes come back from an ACL at full speed far sooner than a year. It wasn't a multiple (with MCL or LCL) and who knows the severity of it, Noel's work habits, Noel's mental state, etc.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
My bad on Irving comparison. I totally forgot he came back at season's end.

And yes I realize Peterson's case was amazing, to be able to perform as well as he did as soon after surgery. But as I and others have said, many, many athletes come back from an ACL at full speed far sooner than a year. It wasn't a multiple (with MCL or LCL) and who knows the severity of it, Noel's work habits, Noel's mental state, etc.

I'm not doubting Noel can return to full health.  The problem is NBA GMs and scouts cannot call him in for workouts because of this injury.  His physical abilities will be based on legend, talks with Calpari and watching video.  Historically this is how NBA teams make bad draft choices.  Therefore, he becomes an unknown and a big risk.  For a struggling franchise, if Noel is over-hyped and they take him in the first five picks, he can really set them back.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »
Forget Calipari, GM's should just ax Crean.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 04:55:25 PM »
Who is paying the premium on this?  And if it's not Nerlins Noel, I am not 100% sure the money would be tax-free to him.

And now I'll come back to the conversation.  As with any insurance policy you (the insured) pay the premiums on, the proceeds are tax free.  The only time proceeds are not tax free (in some cases) is when when an employer/3rd party pays for them since that is a tax deductible expense to the organization.  An example of this could be employer provided disability insurance or some life insurance contracts that are owned by the business for the benefit of the business (used to fund exec benefits or buyouts).  So again, if someone has a billing account in his name, it is 100% tax free.  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:58:21 PM by TomW1365 »