[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Andy Katz: C7 "likely to bump to 10"; Georgetown influence could mean Richmond  (Read 15554 times)

Pakuni

• All American
If we thought the Big East was making conference decisions based on bad football, this would take that to a whole new level.

I think the point may be that for at least a portion of the new C7, Richmond is a school with which they have more in common than other options like Creighton, St. Louis or Dayton.

Avenue Commons

• All American
If we thought the Big East was making conference decisions based on bad football, this would take that to a whole new level.
I hope to see Richmond added just to watch the VCU hypes loose their crap.
We Are Marquette

dwaderoy2004

• All American

I would certainly lose my crap.  Especially if they were the 10th team added in a 10 team conference.

Avenue Commons

• All American
I would certainly lose my crap.  Especially if they were the 10th team added in a 10 team conference.
I didn't type "crap." That was auto correct for a different word that rhymes with snit.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
Is Ben Simon still at Richmond? It's worth it if he is.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the idea of picking up some academically-notable schools.  Richmond would definitely help on that front.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

brinsler

• Walk-On
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the idea of picking up some academically-notable schools.  Richmond would definitely help on that front.

Are Princeton and Penn in play? They would buff up our academic prestige resume.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
Maybe we can start a research consortium, too? 

lab_warrior

• All American
Are Princeton and Penn in play? They would buff up our academic prestige resume.

I'd like to focus on the best conference for basketball, not NSF or NIH grants.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain

I would guess that the two are pretty strongly correlated.

brinsler

• Walk-On
Hannah Davis...she was in our celebrity beach bowl game on Saturday.  Very nice young lady.  "Dating Jeter" currently and will be in the SI swimsuit edition.    

Erin Andrews, Chrissy Teigen, etc...not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

What does this have to do with the CYO Conference?

Mufflers

• Starter
Lay off the white stuff, Brinsler.

Pakuni

• All American

That's a great reason to include a team.
The C7 also should add Drake just to piss off the pro-Creighton people.

chapman

• All American
Hannah Davis...she was in our celebrity beach bowl game on Saturday.  Very nice young lady.  "Dating Jeter" currently and will be in the SI swimsuit edition.    

Another branch for the tree?

Agree.  We're in the AJCU and probably have other academic affiliations.  Athletic conference doesn't have to be one of them any more than all of the AJCU schools have to join together and form an athletic conference.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
I didn't type "crap." That was auto correct for a different word that rhymes with snit.

Well, whatever that word is, I would probably lose that, too.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Another branch for the tree?

Agree.  We're in the AJCU and probably have other academic affiliations.  Athletic conference doesn't have to be one of them any more than all of the AJCU schools have to join together and form an athletic conference.

Mariah Carey slept with Eminem?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
What does this have to do with the CYO Conference?

Go back and read the thread and you will see.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
How did your wife feel about those female-somethings groping you?

We have an understanding

Jet915

• Starter
Katz with another 3 point shot about the BE7 and expansion:

1. The departing Big East 7 are still negotiating their exit from the Big East and are far from finalizing a date to withdraw (although the exit is likely for the fall of 2014). The league still needs to lock in on a television partner (Fox, according to sources, the leader in the clubhouse) and a commissioner. But a number of sources have made valid points for additional schools the Big East 7 will go after, with the consensus being Butler and Xavier to get to nine. The 10th spot has interesting candidates, and while I have heard strong Richmond arguments for that spot, the Spiders may end up being more of an 11th or 12th member if the league decides to go that far. There is a definitely a push in one key corner of the seven to add Creighton because of the Bluejays passion for hoops, their facilities and following. I continue to hear conflicting opinions about whether or not distance matters in this new league. What isn't negotiable is the 7 want/need the schools to be all in for basketball. If that's the case then considering Gonzaga isn't out. This league has to be smart about its moves, and if Creighton is in the mix it would be a wise choice.

I wonder who the one key corner is?  Marquette?

chapman

• All American
I wonder who the one key corner is?  Marquette?

I wonder more who the key corner isn't.  Is Georgetown really that dumb to insist on Richmond, and St. John's on Dayton as the 10th team over Creighton?

MUMountin

• All American
I'm not sure if Georgetown IS actually pushing Richmond--the way that Katz wrote the 3 point shot in the OP sounded more like he was speculating.  And, the fact that he followed it up this quickly sounds like maybe he then received some actual info that Richmond is not in the mix for #10, but more likely that Creighton is.

Eight Legger

• Walk-On
Just thought I'd mention that in Richmond, we've been hearing for a year or two that if/when this all went down, Georgetown would probably push for us to be included because we are similar academically and close enough in proximity to give them a nice rival in the league. Who knows if that's true, but apparently some in the UR administration have told some folks that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Just thought I'd mention that in Richmond, we've been hearing for a year or two that if/when this all went down, Georgetown would probably push for us to be included because we are similar academically and close enough in proximity to give them a nice rival in the league. Who knows if that's true, but apparently some in the UR administration have told some folks that.

Would the administration be willing to tap into some of UR's endowment to show that Richmond is "all in" for men's basketball?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
You can't just tap into an endowment.  It's not like a savings account.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
You can't just tap into an endowment.  It's not like a savings account.

Simple vote by their BoD I would guess. Not all that difficult.

Death on call

feedback