Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Andy Katz: C7 "likely to bump to 10"; Georgetown influence could mean Richmond  (Read 15492 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Do we have the approval of BeeJay?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:06:00 AM by mu_hilltopper »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
Oh for sure.  I think the biggest thing is just what we saw last week: a bunch of details on C7 split negotiations unearthed through a public records request at USF.  A league that already has at least one public school doesn't really make the distinction for prospective members, but with all privates it could be a barrier to entry.

I previously thought that the FOIA issue that a public institution VCU would bring would not be that big of an issue, but if all things are more or less equal, it could tip a decision I suppose.

But I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down Michigan or North Carolina or UCLA or Indiana, etc. just because they are a state school and subject to FOIA.
We Are Marquette

LON

• All American
Do we have the approval of BeeJay?

Her butt fuzzies aren't coarse enough.

🏀

• All American
I previously thought that the FOIA issue that a public institution VCU would bring would not be that big of an issue, but if all things are more or less equal, it could tip a decision I suppose.

But I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down Michigan or North Carolina or UCLA or Indiana, etc. just because they are a state school and subject to FOIA.

I think it actually adds a lot to the equation. You're not turning down blue bloods because of it, but they aren't starting a conference with blue bloods.

chapman

• All American
I think it actually adds a lot to the equation. You're not turning down blue bloods because of it, but they aren't starting a conference with blue bloods.

Yep, confidentiality has value.  But not quite that much value.

Aughnanure

• All American
The bowl tie-in means everything. If Notre Dame was 9-3 last year instead of 12-0, know where they would have wound up? The Belk Bowl. Seriously.

And it's going to be even more important with the changing landscape of the college football playoffs and whatever it is that replaces the BCS. Notre Dame now has a way into those secondary games for the years it goes 11-1 or 10-2 whereas it'd probably be shut out.

The bowl thing was the reason Notre Dame made the switch. NO WAY will they ever go anywhere else unless that conference can offer the same thing.

Well you're also looking at it from the BCS era that made most of all the good bowls you know into part of the BCS format. Not sure how that works moving forward. But Notre Dame has always gotten into good bowls and they always will. The bowls want Notre Dame more than any other team.

I think they'll figure it out and be just fine....especially when they don't have to share any of the money they get from it.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Norm

• All American
I'd prefer VCU over Richmond, but would not lose sleep over it. In fact, I want Creighton before either of them. In order of preference:

1. Xavier
2. Butler
3. Creighton
4. VCU
5. St. Louis
6. Richmond
7. Dayton

If you stopped at 12 teams with Xavier, Butler, Creighton, VCU and St. Louis, you'd also have the top men's soccer conference in the country on day one.

Avenue Commons

• All American

Of course. My point was just that there is a "FOIA Continuum." On one end you have schools (blue bloods) worth the minor hassle of FOIA. On the other end you have schools that are barely attractive and FOIA exposure could tip the scales against them. A VCU is probably in the middle.
We Are Marquette

honkytonk

• Team Captain
But Notre Dame has always gotten into good bowls and they always will. The bowls want Notre Dame more than any other team.

There are so many things wrong with this statement under the playoff format.

Btw, in another thread you mentioned that ND has a deal with Michigan through 2017. Its not 2017....its 2031. And the game wont even be played in 2017...or 2016...or 2015. ND cancelled all three by exercising a 3 year opt-out clause in the contract. There will be more cancellations in the future as well.

🏀

• All American
Of course. My point was just that there is a "FOIA Continuum." On one end you have schools (blue bloods) worth the minor hassle of FOIA. On the other end you have schools that are barely attractive and FOIA exposure could tip the scales against them. A VCU is probably in the middle.

I think when you're discussing revenues of a overwhelming majority catholic institution, they strive for as much secrecy as possible.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Last night I had a dream I boinked the Direct TV Genie lady. 

What did she think about your mother's basement?

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
There are so many things wrong with this statement under the playoff format.

Btw, in another thread you mentioned that ND has a deal with Michigan through 2017. Its not 2017....its 2031. And the game wont even be played in 2017...or 2016...or 2015. ND cancelled all three by exercising a 3 year opt-out clause in the contract. There will be more cancellations in the future as well.

I stand corrected, had not read they went further than the two-year hiatus. Still, I don't see Notre Dame will be able to find their games too many problems finding games. Joining a conference is more important for their Olympic sports imo. I'll believe it when I see that Notre Dame struggles to schedule quality opponents.

What is it about the playoff system that changes it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:58:42 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mr.MUskie

• All American
Her butt fuzzies aren't coarse enough.

That is one extreme closeup.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
This one was fun, also.

tominsalem

• Walk-On
ABD.

Anyone but Dayton.

St. John's is pushing very hard for Dayton.
We are..............St. John's.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

St. John's is pushing very hard for Dayton.

Do you know why?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
Going back to the original post of this thread...

Why exactly does Georgetown want another team in the Virginia area? I realize its not the exact same market but wouldn't this trample on their turf?

Isn't the idea to have a conference that covers lots of different metros and TV markets to get maximum influence?

This would make me think Creighton would be a much better pick. Someone correct me if I am way off here.

Benny B

• All American
This one was fun, also.

How did your wife feel about those female-somethings groping you?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tominsalem

• Walk-On
Do you know why?

Presidents are very good friends.
We are..............St. John's.

mu-rara

• All American
I agree that affiliation gives stability for their football program but I think the ACC loses the 6 schools you mention plus Duke, GIT, The U and maybe one other. B1G grabs two, SEC grabs 2, and Big 12 needs to take 6; 4 doesn't work for a number of reasons. That means they bring in UConn, Cinn, Memphis, et al and you have Conference USA Football. No way will the sons of Teddy Hesburgh accept that. ND is likely waiting to see how things shake out with the ACC, just like everyone else.
Don't they usually ref the MU / ND games?

honkytonk

• Team Captain
Going back to the original post of this thread...

Why exactly does Georgetown want another team in the Virginia area? I realize its not the exact same market but wouldn't this trample on their turf?

Isn't the idea to have a conference that covers lots of different metros and TV markets to get maximum influence?

This would make me think Creighton would be a much better pick. Someone correct me if I am way off here.

So GU wants a regional conference mate and the other C6 should go along with it?  ::)  Georgetown would have a great rivalry in multiple sports if they wanted to play Maryland...but they dont despite UM's best efforts. Now, with the GU-SU rivalry ending, JTIII (from what I have read) is the only one that doesnt care if it continues. So that's two teams that could give them great games for their programs and fans and they dont want to play them. But they want Richmond? They should go pound sand.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Richmond has a better fit of non-basketball sports like baseball, swimming, lacrosse, and field hockey with Gtown and others in the B7+...let alone the regional balance between east and west on travel and time zones.  VCU is not bad either....but Richmond offers a bit more and keeps the Private School focus.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/

GGGG

• All American
So GU wants a regional conference mate and the other C6 should go along with it?  ::)  Georgetown would have a great rivalry in multiple sports if they wanted to play Maryland...but they dont despite UM's best efforts. Now, with the GU-SU rivalry ending, JTIII (from what I have read) is the only one that doesnt care if it continues. So that's two teams that could give them great games for their programs and fans and they dont want to play them. But they want Richmond? They should go pound sand.

Calm down dude....they have a right to lobby for who they want to lobby for.  It's not like they are threatening to quit the C7 or anything.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Richmond also has a football team at the same level as GTown, Nova, Dayton, etc. I might add in the CAA...seems like a more logical choice, and hoops has been pretty strong as well over time.  Mooney is a great coach.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:33:31 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Litehouse

• All American
Richmond also has a football team at the same level as GTown, Nova, Dayton, etc. I might add in the CAA...seems like a more logical choice, and hoops has been pretty strong as well over time.  Mooney is a great coach.

If we thought the Big East was making conference decisions based on bad football, this would take that to a whole new level.