[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 116787 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 21, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
Interesting for Leyland to Commish job... not sure how well that would work out.

As a Tigers fan I say come on down, Kirk Gibson!

I believe he meant that Dombrowski was putting his own name in for commish, not Leyland's name.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #526 on: October 21, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
I believe he meant that Dombrowski was putting his own name in for commish, not Leyland's name.

Dombrowski and the Indians' Mark Shapiro both might have a chance at getting 24/30 MLB owners to vote for them.  Most experts seem to be picking Rob Manfred, Selig's current right-hand man.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #527 on: October 21, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
The Tigers have got to be a frustrating team to root for.  Everyone picks on Fielder for that game-turning DP, and rightly so, but worse was Victor Martinez first not reaching second on his bases loaded hit (I've seen that ball off the wall in that spot a million times over the last 45 years and that's a standing double 100% of the time, even with catchers or David Ortiz running) and then running right into Pedroia so he didn't have to throw to second to get the out and allowing Fielder to get doubled. 

Red Sox got a huge break in the bottom of the 7th, as that 3-2 pitch to Bogaerts could easily have been called a strike, which probably would have led to Leyland keeping Scherzer in the game. 

Going into that series, I thought, "Seems like every guy on that team (except Avila) is hitting close to .300, they have 3 of the best 5/6 starters in the AL and a very good 4th starter, how did they only win 93 games playing in the AL Central?" Then you watch them play and you can see how.   They are glacially slow, poor baserunners and poor defenders.  Even with all that, a healthy Cabrera and that could have been a completely different series.
Hence the thoughts that Detroit should trade Scherzer for a speedy outfielder and bullpen help.    I think Infante comes back unless he prices himself out of Detroit's range.   Peralta is gone, though he says that he would come back to play leftfield.   Detroit does not need another below average defender.   Benoit comes back on a short-term deal.     But you are correct with your assessment of the team.    And, if Cabrera was healthy, the series could have been different.    Ah, well. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #528 on: October 21, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
Hence the thoughts that Detroit should trade Scherzer for a speedy outfielder and bullpen help.    I think Infante comes back unless he prices himself out of Detroit's range.   Peralta is gone, though he says that he would come back to play leftfield.   Detroit does not need another below average defender.   Benoit comes back on a short-term deal.     But you are correct with your assessment of the team.    And, if Cabrera was healthy, the series could have been different.    Ah, well. 

We will give you Peter Borjous (speedy out fielder) for Scherzer in a heartbeat.  We'll throw in some bullpen help as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Can he stay healthy?   And how good is the bullpen help?    Dombrowski will probably demand and get a king's ransom for Scherzer.    But Bourjos is a good start.    Him, two quality relievers, one of them preferably lefthanded, and a high level prospect might get it.  
       It's the kind of decision that drives GM's nuts.    Detroit clearly has the core to get close to a championship, and with a couple of breaks, win it all.    Do you deal a Scherzer with one year left on his contract, knowing because of your already existing high payroll you simply can't afford to give him what Boras will get for him on an open market?     Do you roll the dice on one last great push and live with getting nothing for him?    
    BTW, Cabrera likely to have surgery for a groin tear.    And rest will not heal it.  

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/10/detroit_tigers_dave_dombrowski_25.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:04:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #530 on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »
Can he stay healthy?   And how good is the bullpen help?    Dombrowski will probably demand and get a king's ransom for Scherzer.    But Bourjos is a good start.    Him, two quality relievers, one of them preferably lefthanded, and a high level prospect might get it.   
       It's the kind of decision that drives GM's nuts.    Detroit clearly has the core to get close to a championship, and with a couple of breaks, win it all.    Do you deal a Scherzer with one year left on his contract, knowing because of your already existing high payroll you simply can't afford to give him what Boras will get for him on an open market?     Do you roll the dice on one last great push and live with getting nothing for him?     
    BTW, Cabrera likely to have surgery for a groin tear.    And rest will not heal it. 

- Trade Scherzer while his stock is as high as it's going to be.
- Rotation Options
      - Move Smyly to the rotation
      - Bring back a SP in the Scherzer trade
      - Sign a low-risk veteran (Feldman, Vargas, etc)
- Sign Choo to play LF, providing speed and OPB.
- Give Castellanos another season playing the OF in the minors before he replaces Hunter in 2015 (Choo then moves to RF, Castellano to LF).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #531 on: October 21, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
Do you deal a Scherzer with one year left on his contract, knowing because of your already existing high payroll you simply can't afford to give him what Boras will get for him on an open market?
If it was my decision, I'd go all in for next year.  Its always dangerous to put all of your eggs in one basket because an injury to one of your aces could derail everything, but they're building up a lot of innings on Verlander, who knows how long his window is?  The Tigers biggest issues are bullpen depth/lack of team speed/defense.  Their three best hitters are all 1B/DHs at this point, so if you are going to trade somebody, it should be one of those three guys.  Fielder is untradeable unless they eat a big chunk of that contract, which would preclude them from improving their team.  So that leaves Victor Martinez or Cabrera.  While they could get a great return for Cabrera, I doubt they'd consider it.  So trade VMart for a speedy leftfielder, re-sign Peralta (he shouldn't be too expensive) and rotate Peralta/Fielder/Cabrera through 1B/3B/DH so they all stay fresh and lessen injury chances.  Of course that Martinez for an outfielder trade may not exist, but you should be able to trade him at worst for a live bullpen arm or two and see what you could get on the FA market to play left.  
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #532 on: October 21, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
If it was my decision, I'd go all in for next year.  

Mike Ilitch, Detroit's owner, turns 85 next season and desperately wants to win a WS before the end.  He's been "all in" since at least the signing of Prince, and I don't see him having the patience to rebuild.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #533 on: October 21, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
And the two previous posts explain why it is tough.   IMO, Detroit has starting pitching depth.   Smyly and Alvarez, both lefthanded, have shown they can be more than adequate as the 4-5 guy in the rotation.     There is no market for Fielder.   I can't see bringing back Peralta as a LF.    Adding on chicos' thought, Scherzer for Bourjos and Kendrick, or the equivalent probably seals it.   Then, neither Peralta nor Infante are re-signed.    Castellanos gets one more year in the minors before sliding in when Hunter leaves in a year.    Bring back Benoit, find a left-handed set up guy, and all of the pieces are there.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what Fielder was doing on 3rd base in that running play.  Between that play, the non block of the throw from SS last week, the pop-up, and no RBI's in the last 2+ series, he's definitely had some troubles.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #535 on: October 21, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
And the two previous posts explain why it is tough.   IMO, Detroit has starting pitching depth.   Smyly and Alvarez, both lefthanded, have shown they can be more than adequate as the 4-5 guy in the rotation.     There is no market for Fielder.   I can't see bringing back Peralta as a LF.    Adding on chicos' thought, Scherzer for Bourjos and Kendrick, or the equivalent probably seals it.   Then, neither Peralta nor Infante are re-signed.    Castellanos gets one more year in the minors before sliding in when Hunter leaves in a year.    Bring back Benoit, find a left-handed set up guy, and all of the pieces are there.  

James Russell could probably be had from the Cubs in exchange for the Theo Special (i.e. a couple of injured guys who once had promise).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what Fielder was doing on 3rd base in that running play.  Between that play, the non block of the throw from SS last week, the pop-up, and no RBI's in the last 2+ series, he's definitely had some troubles.
Biggest problem with Fielder is that couldn't catch up with the fastball.  If that is a real thing vs. a slump then his next 7 years aren't going to be too much fun.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #537 on: October 21, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9DHA2dJ7uQ

Classic Leyland and an old time managerial response to a star player.

brandx

« Reply #538 on: October 21, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »

As a Tigers fan I say come on down, Kirk Gibson!

Fat chance - D'backs are very happy with him.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #539 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Fat chance - D'backs are very happy with him.

You're right:

Arizona Diamondbacks chief executive officer Derrick Hall said manager Kirk Gibson will remain with the team Monday, Oct. 21. "I had a conversation with him first thing this morning," Hall said. "My first inclination was to say I would not grant permission (for the Tigers to interview Gibson) because we want him to stay here. But I asked him, 'If that's what you desire, to go interview, that's different.' But he said he wants to stay here. That's all we needed to hear. He's not going anywhere."

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=876987-diamondbacks-kirk-gibson-staying-put

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »

that would make more sense
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #542 on: October 22, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #543 on: November 03, 2013, 05:19:42 AM »
Tigers reportedly hire Brad Ausmus as their new manager. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #544 on: November 20, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »
Prince Fielder to the Rangers in exchange for Ian Kinsler.    Did not see this one coming. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #545 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
Not a bad move though.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #546 on: November 20, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
Not a bad move though.

Hard to ever fault a team for saving that kind of cash.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #547 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »
Makes sense for both. Texas opens up a spot in their lineup for Profar and gets a slugging first baseman, Detroit solves a middle infield problem, gets $ for Scherzer and moves Miggy off the hot corner.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #548 on: November 21, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »
It'll be very interesting to see what happens to Cabrera's numbers without Prince batting behind him.  He may not feast so much with Victor Martinez on deck.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #549 on: November 21, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »
It'll be very interesting to see what happens to Cabrera's numbers without Prince batting behind him.  He may not feast so much with Victor Martinez on deck.

The effect of protection is often overstated in baseball. Stats show that there is a negligible difference.

feedback