'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz was miserable during the Suspension  (Read 8934 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Buzz was miserable during the Suspension
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
If he eventually leaves for a school in Texas, good luck. 

SMU called dibs.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Why did he talk to Andy Katz about this?

What's the point of giving this interview and who set it up? It doesn't make sense to me.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Buzz is an idiot for doing this.  Don't like Buzz giving this interview and I'm not sure how it will help recruiting.    That said, further "conspiracy" fuel to the fire that people are looney to believe.   Full damage control crew should be here shortly.

If we messed this up and he goes, I'm sure people will be lining up to bash him that's typical with turnover.   But I don't know if I would totally blame Buzz as we changed the rules in the middle of the game, at least academically.  We knew what we had when we hired him.   A JUCO guy with a phenomenal work ethic.  We changed on him, he didn't change on us.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Buzz is an idiot for doing this.  Don't like Buzz giving this interview and I'm not sure how it will help recruiting.    That said, further "conspiracy" fuel to the fire that people are looney to believe.   Full damage control crew should be here shortly.

If we messed this up and he goes, I'm sure people will be lining up to bash him that's typical with turnover.   But I don't know if I would totally blame Buzz as we changed the rules in the middle of the game, at least academically.  We knew what we had when we hired him.   A JUCO guy with a phenomenal work ethic.  We changed on him, he didn't change on us.

.....what?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
If Buzz leaves, he leaves.  With our staff, I won't be concerned.  I think some here hold Buzz above the program itself, and with the salary he gets and resources Marquette provides (private jet, money, etc), he has a pretty sweet deal here. If he leaves, i'd be pleased with one of our assistants we have.

Which one, the complete failure at DePaul, the lifetime small time assistant, or the recruiting stud who's never coached a game as a head coach?

Blackhat

• All American

JD

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »
I'd go with the small time assistant or the stud who never coached a game as a head coach.

Why don't you critisize Buzz a little bit too, didn't he use the Tan one's recruits for the majority of his career? Isn't this the 2nd year with only his recruits alone and they're a bubble team some would say?  Next years recruiting class isn't here so i'm not sure i'd count on them yet until they actually stay here throughout the 4-5 year tenure.  Has Buzz showed he may not be a great coach when it comes to calling plays on the court but maybe a better recruiter?

Buzz also never had any real experience when he was appointed head coach when Crean left, what's your point?

Not bashing Buzz because he means the world to Marquette and to me, my point was I think Marquette will be fine if he ever decided to leave. Didn't CBB say "CASH IS KING"  That's something we have no issues with.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
I'd go with the small time assistant or the stud who never coached a game as a head coach.

Why don't you critisize Buzz a little bit too, didn't he use the Tan one's recruits for the majority of his career? Isn't this the 2nd year with only his recruits alone and they're a bubble team some would say?  Next years recruiting class isn't here so i'm not sure i'd count on them yet until they actually stay here throughout the 4-5 year tenure.  Has Buzz showed he may not be a great coach when it comes to calling plays on the court but maybe a better recruiter?

Buzz also never had any real experience when he was appointed head coach when Crean left, what's your point?

Not bashing Buzz because he means the world to Marquette and to me, my point was I think Marquette will be fine if he ever decided to leave. Didn't CBB say "CASH IS KING"  That's something we have no issues with.

I've criticized Buzz plenty through the years and in this thread.  On the court and off.   I want to see MU succeed and I'll root for whoever the coach is (except droopy dog).  That said, I believe we need to continue to support and build rapport with any coach down the line.   Fact is basketball is king so the AD does have to roll out the carpet for our successful head coaches.   Good/Great coaches are hard to secure at a school like MU.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:21:06 PM by Stone Cold »

JD

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
I've criticized Buzz plenty through the years and in this thread.  On the court and off.   I want to see MU succeed and I'll root for whoever the coach is.  That said, I believe we need to continue to support and build rapport with any coach down the line.   Fact is basketball is king so the AD does have to roll out the carpet for our successful head coaches.   Good/Great coaches are hard to secure at a school like MU.   

Agree they are hard to secure here.  Why is that? Not a recruiting hot bed, cold weather, small school? 

Money isn't an issue, so what gives.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »

The Process

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
Buzz had a hobby until LW banned him from dancing.

LW needs to help with the Today Show:

Relax. Respect the Process.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
Agree they are hard to secure here.  Why is that? Not a recruiting hot bed, cold weather, small school? 

I believe in Marquette and our ability to reach elite status.  B-ball rep was building under Wild.   Crean for nine years is good, hated the way he left us like we didn't deserve the time, but I respect greatly what he did for us and think he's a very good coach.    

Now Andy Katz is writing hit pieces on how we're being rough on our coaches.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
LW needs to help with the Today Show:

Rick Roll must be pissed, that's his move!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »

But has it been that hard to secure?  Think about the last 8 coaches we've had

Al McGuire
Hank Raymonds
Rick Majerus
Bob Dukiet
Kevin O'Neill
Mike Deane
Tom Crean
Buzz Williams

I'd put that string of 8 up against 90% of the other schools in this country.  Only one complete flameout.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
We were elevated under Wild, no doubt.   I have faith in Marquette regardless,  I just hear these poor bastards talk about the Dukiet years and I get scared.  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
We were elevated under Wild, no doubt.   I have faith in Marquette regardless,  I just hear these poor bastards talk about the Dukiet years and I get scared.  ;)

I lived through them...it was something to behold.  Losing to Stetson, Loyola of Chicago, scoring 12 points at halftime against Notre Dame, etc.  It was really something to behold.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »
I just hear these poor bastards talk about the Dukiet years and I get scared.  ;)

You and me both.  I remember being at MU for the start of the Crean years and at least thankful that I wasn't on campus for those times.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
Amazing how one small quote from the Katz interview can lead to this becoming a two page thread. 

Maybe this was Hiroshima?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Amazing how one small quote from the Katz interview can lead to this becoming a two page thread. 

We've had longer about less.  I'm not surprised.

In fact, I'm thinking about breaking open the booze and turning this into a drinking game:

Each reference of Hiroshima:  Take a drink.
Each mention of potential Buzz replacements:  Take a drink.
Each mention of "Tin Foil Hat" crowd:  Take a drink.
Each mention of what this means to recruiting:  Finish my drink.
Each reference of "messing with happy:" Finish my drink.
Each time we talk about dancing and include pictures:  Finish my drink.

Note:  Only one of these can be done per post.

Anyone else want to play?  Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?  Ah... college memories.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

Seriously, just stop.

You've consistently created controversy about LW and BW since summer.

I understand that "where there is smoke there is fire", but you are taking smoke from your George Foreman and evacuating an entire building.

Stop. Breath. Intake. Evaluate.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
I'm just wondering when Larry is going to serve his suspension?  After all, he is responsible for Buzz, just as Buzz was responsible for Monarch, and therefore he should be suspended for not controlling his program.

He already did.  He was forced to wear a dirty, sweaty old hat during the Ohio State game.  Trust me you don't want to know where that hat had been.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
He already did.  He was forced to wear a dirty, sweaty old hat during the Ohio State game.  Trust me you don't want to know where that hat had been.

I hear Rick Majerus knew where that hat was.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
If Buzz leaves, he leaves.  With our staff, I won't be concerned.  I think some here hold Buzz above the program itself, and with the salary he gets and resources Marquette provides (private jet, money, etc), he has a pretty sweet deal here. If he leaves, i'd be pleased with one of our assistants we have.

Wainwright?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 06:02:31 AM »
I think we'd all long for the BEast as it was when something like 10 teams made the tourney and it was ranked #1.  What's being created is the next best thing to that and the best possible scenario.  It'll remain a plum coaching assignment.

For me, it comes down to trusting Mike Broeker. Yes, things are going to change. Instead of playing 8-10 top-25 teams from January through March, we'll probably be playing 3-6. How do we offset that? Non-conference games.

Currently, we are playing 1 perennial top-25 home and home in Wisconsin. I think we'll see one or two more added to that. Notre Dame will almost certainly be on the rotation every year. I expect we'll keep reaching out to the SEC for home-and-homes, keep trying to get in high-profile exhibitions like the Carrier Classic or Jimmy V, and probably look at higher-profile buy games. I think we'll only see 3-4 buy games most years, and instead of seeing teams in the sub-250 range, they will pretty much all be top-200.

Also, I think Green Bay and Milwaukee will go away. We'll play one more game with Milwaukee and I think that will be it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
For me, it comes down to trusting Mike Broeker. Yes, things are going to change. Instead of playing 8-10 top-25 teams from January through March, we'll probably be playing 3-6. How do we offset that? Non-conference games.

Currently, we are playing 1 perennial top-25 home and home in Wisconsin. I think we'll see one or two more added to that. Notre Dame will almost certainly be on the rotation every year. I expect we'll keep reaching out to the SEC for home-and-homes, keep trying to get in high-profile exhibitions like the Carrier Classic or Jimmy V, and probably look at higher-profile buy games. I think we'll only see 3-4 buy games most years, and instead of seeing teams in the sub-250 range, they will pretty much all be top-200.

Also, I think Green Bay and Milwaukee will go away. We'll play one more game with Milwaukee and I think that will be it.

How do we do this and maintain 15 home dates?  We would have to dump some buy games for home-home and that means less than 15 homes dates and less revenue from basketball.

Not an easy question.